Total Posts:137|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Changes: Voting Tab, Games, Ads

Add Post
Forum Moderator

1/19/2010 12:21:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Howdy. Between Find.net and my two little boys, I had some free time today to make three additions/changes to Debate.org. Specifically, I finished the voting tab on the debates, added the DORK.com 'Games' menu on the top, and added the personal loan ads to the site. Debate.org now over 75,000 unique visitors every month, and should surpass 1 million page views this month. That's up 55% from this time last year! As such, I'll be testing different product ads in the future to get an idea of what works on the site in order to pay for the increasing server and bandwidth costs the site incurs.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:23:16 PM
Change it back!

Or, at least put the "Games" tab one over to the left. I can't keep getting redirected.

Petition!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:24:21 PM
Ah, thanks for the update. The voting is exactly as desired. The games tab seems to be a bit of a hindrance, it is being pressed instead of the Forums tab which is the natural reflex. Also, students are being blocked from Debate.org due to their inclusion.

As for the Ads, I don't think Finance ads are best. You have to appeal to a mainly Late teens - early 20's demograph.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:26:13 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com...

The website is mainly used by highschool students while at school. Putting it on here will do relatively nothing except cause blockage issues on this website.

The reason you're seeing a decrease in site viewership is due to schools adding it to their filters.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

1/19/2010 12:26:38 PM
On a side note...for all of you whiny liberals out there...I know you're opposed to profit, but I didn't know you were also opposed to "break-even". If you're so upset about having to see ads or a Games menu, just write me a note and I'll give you a full refund per the Debate.org 100% satisfaction guarantee!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:28:40 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:26:38 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
On a side note...for all of you whiny liberals out there...I know you're opposed to profit, but I didn't know you were also opposed to "break-even". If you're so upset about having to see ads or a Games menu, just write me a note and I'll give you a full refund per the Debate.org 100% satisfaction guarantee!

Hey now - its not about that, its just about convenience. The Forums tab is known to be at the end, and its second nature to click there to get to the forums - and now we're sent to DORK. 'Tis annoying.

And Frodo has a point as well - you'll have a lot of people blocked at schools now. That can't help "profit" whatsoever.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:30:33 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:26:38 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:

Hey, well unlike you conservatives we cant equality!

Look, I understand the Games menu is to promote Dork.com, which is turn = More profit for Webcorp. The problem is school filters make Debate.org blocked because you can access games via it, hindering your overall visits. Maybe as an optional setting, or some link to Dork, but the tab at the top ay be a negative thign overall.

As for the Ads, I promote the idea of Ads so DDO can expand, I'm just saying you should refine what ads you use to appeal to the most prominent demography 15 - 25.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:30:33 PM
Solution: Move Games tab before the debate tab and everyone will love you.

Also add a donate tab next to the game tab and add an option for paypal donate. If you're truly worried about recouping server costs, I'm sure there are a bunch of crazy people on this site(mainly PoeJoe) who will give his entire life savings away.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:31:18 PM
Sir, I don't think you understand. The Games tab will in all likelihood, unless you're seeing something we aren't, decrease site income due to blockage at schools.

Doesn't affect me, I never even noticed the Games tab until someone pointed it out, but that doesn't make it any better for your bottom line if half your viewership is blocked for what's probably their main log in time.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:32:49 PM
Also in terms of the adds think about using popular online destinations, half.com (school books), Newegg (tech stuff).

Also it wouldn't be horrible if you added a fans site tab or a wiki tab ddofans.com (Fans Site) ddofans.com/wiki (Wiki page)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:33:48 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:32:49 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
Also in terms of the adds think about using popular online destinations, half.com (school books), Newegg (tech stuff).

Also it wouldn't be horrible if you added a fans site tab or a wiki tab ddofans.com (Fans Site) ddofans.com/wiki (Wiki page)

Lol @ special interest group. xD
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:35:39 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:32:49 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

I think sites that sell clothing, CD's, i.e. general stuff you buy online on a limited budget should be advertised. Newegg? Mayhaps. We have to think about what people are going to click. And we're going to need at least a dozen, because having the exact same ad all the time means people won't click it.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

1/19/2010 12:41:36 PM
Like I said in my first post...I'll be testing different ads...try and keep up. Regarding the Games tab...there are NO games hosted on Debate.org, and I've had a link to DORK.com since I launched Debate.org. To my knowledge, blocking software doesn't discriminate against domains that don't host games/SWF files.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:41:52 PM
Note: Me, Volkov and Frodo aren't trying to be negative here, I sincerely appreciate any updates made to DDO, especially the voting tab [And I'm pretty sure the same goes for Frodo and Volkov] . It's more less constructive criticism.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:44:00 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:41:36 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Like I said in my first post...I'll be testing different ads...try and keep up. Regarding the Games tab...there are NO games hosted on Debate.org, and I've had a link to DORK.com since I launched Debate.org. To my knowledge, blocking software doesn't discriminate against domains that don't host games/SWF files.

At 1/19/2010 11:33:51 AM, Korashk wrote:
All the new games tab has done for me is to allow the school filter to block most of DDO's pages whereas it was a mostly unblocked site before.

http://www.debate.org...

Unfortunatley it seems to be school filters are blocking DDO. This may be a unique case, but I'd say most school use the same\similar technology. If
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:47:26 PM

Well at least one person disagrees:

At 1/19/2010 11:33:51 AM, Korashk wrote:
All the new games tab has done for me is to allow the school filter to block most of DDO's pages whereas it was a mostly unblocked site before.

http://www.debate.org...

As I said, its not helpful. And its inconvenient. And its generally annoying.

I don't want to dictate how to run your site to you, nor do I want to be negative (as Panda said), but we're the users of this site - we should be listened to as well.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:49:15 PM

As someone who was in high school a year and a half ago, I'm pretty sure most of it is based on keywords and where they are. Loads of game-related sites that don't themselves host games wind up blocked, and loads of sites hosting SWF files, including games, that manage to avoid words like "Game" go unblocked for a long time or forever.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Crystal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:52:45 PM
I understand that although most people say they WANT change- they really don't like it at all. You didn't like it when Phil took off the ads now you don't like it that he put them back on. So if you want to eliminate the ads why don't we go to a subscription membership. How does $19.99/year sound?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:55:27 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:52:45 PM, Crystal wrote:
I understand that although most people say they WANT change- they really don't like it at all. You didn't like it when Phil took off the ads now you don't like it that he put them back on. So if you want to eliminate the ads why don't we go to a subscription membership. How does $19.99/year sound?

Crystal! This is the first time you've posted on this forum. Good to hear from you. Now as for your idea, I think a subscription is only a good addition provided members who have subscriptions get extra features placed on their accounts (like other sites do). What the features ought to be could be determined by polling the community.

19.99/year sounds a little steep. How about $9.99?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:57:16 PM

It's not that we don't like the changes, it's just overall the Games tab may be a negative thing for the sites due to it being blocked in schools and we think certain Advertisements that would generate more income. That's all, just suggestions. Pretty much every change is beneficial or a step in the right direction. Including these.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:57:43 PM
I understand that although most people say they WANT change- they really don't like it at all. You didn't like it when Phil took off the ads now you don't like it that he put them back on.

Yeah, people whine too much.

So if you want to eliminate the ads why don't we go to a subscription membership. How does $19.99/year sound?

Nah, how does $0.00/year sound?
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 12:59:10 PM

Lol no one is going to pay money to access an internet site. A donation tab and more relevant ads are the solution you are looking for along with the removal/renaming/Moving of the "Games" tab
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 1:00:36 PM
I understand that although most people say they WANT change- they really don't like it at all. You didn't like it when Phil took off the ads now you don't like it that he put them back on.
Wait a minute. I don't think anyone here complained about having ads. The complaints were: One, the games tab blocks the site for a lot of members. This should be of concern to any site that wants ad revenue. Two-- the ads currently chosen do not seem suitable for this site's demographic, and so unless they are changed, will not likely gather the revenue you're looking for.

Long time no see btw.

Somehow I doubt a subscription model will get us anywhere, as most of the site's users are broke. Though if there ARE people who complain about ads qua ads, I suppose a removal of advertisements for people who do choose to purchase a subscription is in order, leaving the ads on for the rest of us.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 1:01:04 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:59:10 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

Lol no one is going to pay money to access an internet site. A donation tab and more relevant ads are the solution you are looking for along with the removal/renaming/Moving of the "Games" tab

To use this site alone? True. But for an advanced membership? You'd be surprised herr baggins! Granted, this site would probably have to be a little more popular.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 1:02:05 PM
At 1/19/2010 12:59:10 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

That's the bottom line right there.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 1:03:44 PM
At 1/19/2010 1:01:04 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
To use this site alone? True. But for an advanced membership? You'd be surprised herr baggins! Granted, this site would probably have to be a little more popular.

The only site I'd even consider paying 10 dollars for is a top notch pron website in 720p, but I don't even look at pron so lol I'd never pay and I think 90% of users will agree. I'm a cheap bum, but honestly forums are a dime a dozen.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 1:05:05 PM
At 1/19/2010 1:01:04 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
To use this site alone? True. But for an advanced membership? You'd be surprised herr baggins! Granted, this site would probably have to be a LOT more popular.

Fix'd