Jump to topic:

Official debate rules?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:31:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm wondering if there are any official debate rules? Like, if I post definitions in the first round, is my opponent obligated to use those definitions as well? Can one define terms as he so chooses if he is the instigator?

I always thought the person starting the debate could define terms however he wanted, and those were the definitions which must be used. Is this correct?

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm not sure what to do when I debate with someone, and they present different definitions.

Thoughts?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:33:13 PM
You can set any rules you like, as long as they're in the first round. Just ask GWL-CPA.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:34:00 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:31:50 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any official debate rules? Like, if I post definitions in the first round, is my opponent obligated to use those definitions as well? Can one define terms as he so chooses if he is the instigator?

I always thought the person starting the debate could define terms however he wanted, and those were the definitions which must be used. Is this correct?

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm not sure what to do when I debate with someone, and they present different definitions.

Thoughts?

THE FIRST ROUND IS NOT FOR ACCEPTANCE.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:36:56 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:34:00 PM, Mikal wrote:

Thoughts?

Ha
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:37:18 PM

Thoughts?

Don't worry, I already covered that.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:38:28 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:33:13 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
You can set any rules you like, as long as they're in the first round. Just ask GWL-CPA.

Yeah, but do you have to explicitly state "These are the definitions both of us will use:"?

I'm wondering this, because it happened to me recently. I realize I was arguing for an unpopular position in the first place though, so I guess voters didn't mind. Lol. Oh well.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:39:31 PM

Thoughts?

I'll keep that in mind ;-)

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:39:55 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:38:28 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Yeah, but do you have to explicitly state "These are the definitions both of us will use:"?

I'm wondering this, because it happened to me recently. I realize I was arguing for an unpopular position in the first place though, so I guess voters didn't mind. Lol. Oh well.

It's best if you do, otherwise [http://www.debate.org...] could happen.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:42:32 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:39:55 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Hehe... ;P No, I mean like, can't you just post "Definitions: blah blah" instead of "We will both use these definitions:"? I mean, doesn't that go without saying? But there doesn't seem to be any official rules, so I'm not sure if the accepter is obligated to read it that way.

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:43:35 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:42:32 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Hehe... ;P No, I mean like, can't you just post "Definitions: blah blah" instead of "We will both use these definitions:"? I mean, doesn't that go without saying? But there doesn't seem to be any official rules, so I'm not sure if the accepter is obligated to read it that way.

It goes without saying. Just make sure your opponent knows the definitions before accepting.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:43:56 PM

Pretty sure there is a link for standard DDO rules. Airmax or someone will post it if they see this.

I could be wrong too though.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:51:10 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:43:56 PM, Mikal wrote:

Pretty sure there is a link for standard DDO rules. Airmax or someone will post it if they see this.

I could be wrong too though.

I would appreciate it if he did, because I'd like to be able to have that as a reference in case that happens again.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 10:52:43 PM

Thoughts?

Typically it's OK to argue against definitions but this is not always the case and the instigator has more say. If two different but equally credible definitions are proposed, the instigator's definitions should bare more weight since he made them first. The instigator has the greater say but Con is usually allowed to contend them. I prefer to get semantics out of the way before the debate starts, so I'll sometimes say the definitions cannot be contended except in the comments section before the debate starts. I'm usually pretty flexible with definitions, so I'll change them if I think someone has a good objection, but I don't like arguing definitions throughout the debate unless definitions are a big part of the issue.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 12:41:32 AM

Thoughts?

Personally, as a judge, I presume that the definitions are left open for debate unless the instigator has definitions in the first round and either (1) explicitly states that accepting the debate means accepting the instigator's definitions, or (2) the person who accepts adopts such ridiculous counter-definitions that the instigator does not get a debate remotely resembling the one he or she wanted.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)