How can we make DDO more international?

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:53:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi all!

The preliminary results of this poll indicated that many debaters think DDO could stand to be a little more international. How do you think we can accomplish this? Any ideas?

I think perhaps we could start by having some "Big Issues" that aren't about the United States government or society, since most seem to revolve around the USA.

Thanks for your time!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:55:09 PM
At 2/11/2014 9:53:14 PM, kbub wrote:
Hi all!

The preliminary results of this poll indicated that many debaters think DDO could stand to be a little more international. How do you think we can accomplish this? Any ideas?

Accrue a massive debt and then depend on the Chinese to keep functioning.

I think perhaps we could start by having some "Big Issues" that aren't about the United States government or society, since most seem to revolve around the USA.

Thanks for your time!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:05:08 PM
At 2/11/2014 9:53:14 PM, kbub wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks for your time!

Oh, and here's the poll: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:14:59 PM
Interestingly enough, if you look at DDO's alexa information it shows that a great deal of visitors to the site are from abroad, specifically India if I'm not mistaken. Why there arent many active members from there I'm not sure.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 11:51:38 PM
At 2/11/2014 10:14:59 PM, thett3 wrote:
Interestingly enough, if you look at DDO's alexa information it shows that a great deal of visitors to the site are from abroad, specifically India if I'm not mistaken. Why there arent many active members from there I'm not sure.

Hmm, interesting.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 12:35:29 AM

Just over 18% of site visitors are from India interestingly. I can think of a few members just off hand that are from India, and a couple that post or have posted regularly. You'd think though that with the number of visitors from India being that high that we would have a much larger number of notable contributors from India (especially in the forums), but this hasn't been the case.

Perhaps even more interesting is that the country with the 3rd greatest number of visitors (with nearly 6%) is Pakistan.

It's also interesting that Australia only represents 2.5% of total visitors and I can think of far more Australian regularly contributing members off hand. I think it's possible that our Australian members may just be more inclined to socialize into the forums than the other countries, and thus come to my mind quicker.
Debate.org Moderator
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 12:50:23 AM
At 2/12/2014 12:35:29 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Just over 18% of site visitors are from India interestingly. I can think of a few members just off hand that are from India, and a couple that post or have posted regularly. You'd think though that with the number of visitors from India being that high that we would have a much larger number of notable contributors from India (especially in the forums), but this hasn't been the case.

Perhaps even more interesting is that the country with the 3rd greatest number of visitors (with nearly 6%) is Pakistan.

It's also interesting that Australia only represents 2.5% of total visitors and I can think of far more Australian regularly contributing members off hand. I think it's possible that our Australian members may just be more inclined to socialize into the forums than the other countries, and thus come to my mind quicker.

Thanks for the info! What do you think about putting an India-specific or Pakistan-specific "Big Issues" topic? Thant might help solidify long term members from those countries, instead of people who just sign up! I think the stats shows that there's a least a potential to tap into those demographics, so to speak. What do you think?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 12:57:20 AM
At 2/12/2014 12:50:23 AM, kbub wrote:
At 2/12/2014 12:35:29 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Thanks for the info! What do you think about putting an India-specific or Pakistan-specific "Big Issues" topic? Thant might help solidify long term members from those countries, instead of people who just sign up! I think the stats shows that there's a least a potential to tap into those demographics, so to speak. What do you think?

It's certainly worth considering. Though a lot of members from other countries stick around, but they only debate. It's socialization into the forums that's less likely with them and I think that's a more difficult thing to encourage. I think there's a US-centric culture here to a certain degree, even if it's welcoming of people from anywhere.

I do think it may be worth adding more non-US specific big issues though. Might get some to look into issues beyond what is "local" to the US. Adding some more that pertain to the UK, Australia, India, Pakistan and others is worth giving some serious consideration.
Debate.org Moderator
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 12:58:47 AM
I like the sub-continent specific big issues option. If we did that though, we should do an EU-specific one as well.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 1:32:21 AM
At 2/12/2014 1:26:57 AM, Mikal wrote:
Is it bad when i saw the forum title I thought it said

"How do we make ddo more interracial"

Was like 0.0

I think that's a fair question too.
Debate.org Moderator
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 8:08:57 PM
Hot issues are typically political ones, and American politics dominate the forums and debates here. People around the world don't care enough.