Jump to topic:

Dealing with agressive stupidity?

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:44:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The aggressively stupid strive for stupidity, but don't realize that they are striving to be stupid; they aggressively expound their stupidity as if it were something smart. These people are proficient at manipulating language and mathematics, but aggressively use them for stupid purposes. These people are separate from trolls, because they believe that their stupidity is legitimate.

Trolls are OK to deal with: one can ignore them, troll them back, or use the banhammer. The aggressively stupid are different. You can't ignore them because they don't lose interest if their victims don't respond; you can't troll them because they will feel "persecuted"; and you can't ban them because they're technically not trolling.

There may or may not be more than a few examples of such persons on this site.

Why are they aggressively stupid? How can we deal with them?
0x5f3759df
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:36:04 PM
At 2/16/2014 9:44:54 PM, Bullish wrote:
The aggressively stupid strive for stupidity, but don't realize that they are striving to be stupid; they aggressively expound their stupidity as if it were something smart. These people are proficient at manipulating language and mathematics, but aggressively use them for stupid purposes. These people are separate from trolls, because they believe that their stupidity is legitimate.

Trolls are OK to deal with: one can ignore them, troll them back, or use the banhammer. The aggressively stupid are different. You can't ignore them because they don't lose interest if their victims don't respond; you can't troll them because they will feel "persecuted"; and you can't ban them because they're technically not trolling.

Ignore them like Crypto says.

Funny. I'm int he middle of an exchange right now like this, and this dude just told me "The Nazis, Stalin etc. used psychotic scum like you to carry out their dirty work!"

Hehe... I just keep laughing at him, and responding to get the last word in. It drives them absolutely nuts, but is a total waste of time. :P
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:55:09 AM

Why are they aggressively stupid?

Cause they suck at everything else in life

How can we deal with them?

Weekly Stupid
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:28:21 AM
At 2/17/2014 2:00:22 AM, 2-D wrote:
Make fun of them in a way that they cannot understand.

Exactly, (weekly stupid)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:33:47 AM
At 2/17/2014 2:28:21 AM, imabench wrote:

Exactly, (weekly stupid)

Fair point; I'm with you if it's directed at the aggressively stupid.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 5:39:40 AM

Some choices:

1) Prove them wrong.
2) Ignore them.
3) If they violate conduct standards, report them.

In the end, to think they are stupid without proving them such runs the risk of you yourself being proven to be the one that is stupid.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 6:11:40 AM

That's only half of it. Make fun of them in a way that's just over their head enough for them (and everyone else who's reading what you write) to know that something's up, but in a way that they fundamentally cannot understand what you're saying.

In that way, you have both acknowledged that someone is stupid, and duly responded to their aggression in a way that they can't rebut. They can try and most aggressively stupid people will. They might even pretend to be the victims of your "meanness" and "aggression." (LOL!) And when it gets to the point where they can't take it, they'll eventually, b!tch and moan to the moderators because they know that there is nothing they can do.

Aggressive stupidity is often the same thing as being full of sh!t, btw. And there is nothing a bullsh!tter hates more than being called out for being full of sh!t, because it tears down the illusion of intelligence they cultivate for themselves. The positive thing is, though, that there are only about five people on this site that really fit that description. I'd name them, but they all know who they are ;) -and that's the best part.
Tsar of DDO
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 10:03:42 AM
At 2/17/2014 1:55:09 AM, imabench wrote:
How can we deal with them?

Weekly Stupid
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 11:28:07 PM
At 2/17/2014 6:11:40 AM, YYW wrote:

That's only half of it. Make fun of them in a way that's just over their head enough for them (and everyone else who's reading what you write) to know that something's up, but in a way that they fundamentally cannot understand what you're saying.

In that way, you have both acknowledged that someone is stupid, and duly responded to their aggression in a way that they can't rebut. They can try and most aggressively stupid people will. They might even pretend to be the victims of your "meanness" and "aggression." (LOL!) And when it gets to the point where they can't take it, they'll eventually, b!tch and moan to the moderators because they know that there is nothing they can do.

Aggressive stupidity is often the same thing as being full of sh!t, btw. And there is nothing a bullsh!tter hates more than being called out for being full of sh!t, because it tears down the illusion of intelligence they cultivate for themselves. The positive thing is, though, that there are only about five people on this site that really fit that description. I'd name them, but they all know who they are ;) -and that's the best part.

Yeah, that was a good clarification. It"s just a way of indicating that they"re a douche/not worth talking to and you noticed. I agree that you don"t see aggressive stupidity a lot from active members. I"m pretty laid-back and appreciate the majority of perspectives and strategies used on the site.

I"m mainly talking about people who join for a few weeks spout their arguments all over everyone else, don"t listen to the other side and insult anyone who disagrees without explanation. At that point I don"t have a lot of sympathy for them and they pretty much get what they deserve from what I"ve seen.

Bo Burnham"s routine on netflix was great; I"ll have to check out more of his standup.