Jump to topic:

Missing profile information

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:41:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Does it bother anyone else when members sign up without stating where they live?

Not necessarily the city, but the state or country, I think, is valuable in establishing context given the global community.

I think all profiles should display age, sex, and country. In the forums, people make comments, and I want to see where they live, but often it is blank. For example, someone in Florida would likely have more information than someone in Uganda about a local issue in Florida.
My work here is, finally, done.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:42:38 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:41:17 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Does it bother anyone else when members sign up without stating where they live?

Not necessarily the city, but the state or country, I think, is valuable in establishing context given the global community.

I think all profiles should display age, sex, and country. In the forums, people make comments, and I want to see where they live, but often it is blank. For example, someone in Florida would likely have more information than someone in Uganda about a local issue in Florida.

Violates privacy rights that they have every right to deny the website access to.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:43:57 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:42:38 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Violates privacy rights that they have every right to deny the website access to.

I don't think anything is verified.
How many 100 year olds are on DDO?
I just think it should be a required field.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:45:53 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:43:57 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

The website doesn't have the right to enact age requirements. Moreover even if they did it's impossible to verify (see the extreme number of 100+ year olds there are on this site).

In short, DDO can't ask people to verify their age, and it's impossible for them to do it anyway.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:52:32 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:45:53 PM, Zaradi wrote:

The website doesn't have the right to enact age requirements. Moreover even if they did it's impossible to verify (see the extreme number of 100+ year olds there are on this site).

In short, DDO can't ask people to verify their age, and it's impossible for them to do it anyway.

I just said they don't verify. Let me rephrase:
I am not asking DDO to verify anything. I am asking that these things are required to be public (as age and sex are). Obviously people can, and do, lie.

For example, it says you live in Texas (quick info from the forum), so if I had a question about Texas, I could defer to you. If I wanted information on say, whether the UK should leave the EU, I would put more stock in another's post than yours. Perhaps even seek out someone to ask.

This is a social site, too, and I think geographical context of people can be a factor in opinions.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:53:47 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:52:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/17/2014 12:45:53 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I just said they don't verify. Let me rephrase:
I am not asking DDO to verify anything. I am asking that these things are required to be public (as age and sex are). Obviously people can, and do, lie.

For example, it says you live in Texas (quick info from the forum), so if I had a question about Texas, I could defer to you. If I wanted information on say, whether the UK should leave the EU, I would put more stock in another's post than yours. Perhaps even seek out someone to ask.

This is a social site, too, and I think geographical context of people can be a factor in opinions.

And again, they don't have the right or the ability to make that information have to be public.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:55:26 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:53:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:

And again, they don't have the right or the ability to make that information have to be public.

How don't they?
Do me a favor will you?
Alter you little ID badge, next to the post number, so it doesn't show your age, sex, and city.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 12:59:23 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:55:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

How don't they?

Privacy rights.
Do me a favor will you?
Alter you little ID badge, next to the post number, so it doesn't show your age, sex, and city.

City is always public, but I think I got everything. Why?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:03:01 PM
At 2/17/2014 12:59:23 PM, Zaradi wrote:

How don't they?

Privacy rights.
Regardless of if they have the right to or not, I am asking if it bothers people that the information is unknown. It bothers me every once in a while when I look to see where someone lives and don't know.

Do me a favor will you?

Hover over your ID badge, between your medal and the post number on a post of yours, I see all information still.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anyone without an age, which seems like age is a requirement.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:27:45 PM
At 2/17/2014 1:03:01 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/17/2014 12:59:23 PM, Zaradi wrote:

How don't they?

Privacy rights.
Regardless of if they have the right to or not, I am asking if it bothers people that the information is unknown. It bothers me every once in a while when I look to see where someone lives and don't know.

Never has really bothered me. But even if it did, it's not like I could do anything about it other than ask them where they lived. >.>

Do me a favor will you?

Hover over your ID badge, between your medal and the post number on a post of yours, I see all information still.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anyone without an age, which seems like age is a requirement.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:31:56 PM

Mmmm not really, but it is nice to know where a person is from and not fake it either. SO I understand where your idea is coming from. Makes sense.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:02:01 PM
At 2/17/2014 1:31:56 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Mmmm not really, but it is nice to know where a person is from and not fake it either. SO I understand where your idea is coming from. Makes sense.

so you can stalk someone
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:08:53 PM

Actually, the website has every right to require members to publicly display personal information. They have every right to include that in their terms of service. You have the right to refuse to do so, and leave the site.

Of course, DDO would never force members to display their personal info.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:08:58 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:02:01 PM, yay842 wrote:

so you can stalk someone

LOL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... That's weird dude... 0.0
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:10:34 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:08:58 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

so you can stalk someone

it bothers Khaos because he wants to know where we live so that he can find us . . .
which is why i keep my anonymity so none of yous know who i am. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:11:57 PM

I think country would be better to show than gender--particularly because some users seem as though, perhaps, English isn't their first language, while gender doesn't really seem to have any bearing on anything.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:15:18 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:10:34 PM, yay842 wrote:

so you can stalk someone

it bothers Khaos because he wants to know where we live so that he can find us . . .

Lol, well, that just means you have something to hide then deary...
Me, I don't care.. I'd rather people know who and what kinda person I am so that they're not left wondering and cause I have nothing to hide.. Keeps it clean that way.. But that's just me.. :P
"Good Times" ~ Max
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:17:39 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:08:53 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:

Actually, the website has every right to require members to publicly display personal information. They have every right to include that in their terms of service. You have the right to refuse to do so, and leave the site.

They actually don't have the right to include that in their ToS legally. Opens themselves up to a bunch of nasty different lawsuits.

Of course, DDO would never force members to display their personal info.

That too.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:17:43 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:15:18 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

so you can stalk someone

Me, I don't care.. I'd rather people know who and what kinda person I am so that they're not left wondering and cause I have nothing to hide.. Keeps it clean that way.. But that's just me.. :P

i respect you for that. being able to stand up to Serial Killers who have something against you and they look at your profile and see where you live and you have to keep fearing for your lives because all your information is posted online and all your enemies, assassins, drug lords, loan sharks, are out to get you and can easily track you... but that's totally not me
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:21:32 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:17:43 PM, yay842 wrote:

so you can stalk someone

i respect you for that. being able to stand up to Serial Killers who have something against you and they look at your profile and see where you live and you have to keep fearing for your lives because all your information is posted online and all your enemies, assassins, drug lords, loan sharks, are out to get you and can easily track you... but that's totally not me

Lol, I like how sarcastic you sound ... But, nah, if its my time to die, then its my time to die.. At least I know where I'm going.. I'm not worried about it.. But, Its not like I posted my address or anything LOL.. That would really be telling where I'm at, right?
"Good Times" ~ Max
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:24:05 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:21:32 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

so you can stalk someone

Lol, I like how sarcastic you sound ... But, nah, if its my time to die, then its my time to die.. At least I know where I'm going.. I'm not worried about it.. But, Its not like I posted my address or anything LOL.. That would really be telling where I'm at, right?

oh, poo. you have not been engaged in the fullest potential of our modern technology. all it takes for the NSA is simply what city, nay, one state, with the power of the govt.... THEY KNOW EVERYTHING
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:25:36 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:24:05 PM, yay842 wrote:

so you can stalk someone

oh, poo. you have not been engaged in the fullest potential of our modern technology. all it takes for the NSA is simply what city, nay, one state, with the power of the govt.... THEY KNOW EVERYTHING

NSA!!! That's all I ever hear about now a days.. But I don't care.. I don't even believe all that.. 0.o just saying..
"Good Times" ~ Max
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:27:12 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:25:36 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/17/2014 2:24:05 PM, yay842 wrote:

so you can stalk someone

NSA!!! That's all I ever hear about now a days.. But I don't care.. I don't even believe all that.. 0.o just saying..

well as long as yer not a terrorist, yer safe to share whatever you please to those stalkers
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:28:28 PM
At 2/17/2014 2:27:12 PM, yay842 wrote:
well as long as yer not a terrorist, yer safe to share whatever you please to those stalkers

hahahahaha!!!! I getta kick outta you hahaha!! YOur funny... LOL
"Good Times" ~ Max