Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Godwin's Law

SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:32:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is the use of Godwin's Law viable in debates? I see many chances to use it in debates that happen in forums and comment sections, sometimes i see debates where it could be used. So is the use of Godwin's Law viable in debates?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Daktoria
Posts: 497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 8:04:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What do you mean by "use" it? Perhaps the likelihood of comparisons to Hitler or the Nazis approaches 1 over time or not, but it's unclear how that's a debate tactic.

You might use it as a judge, but as a debater, why bother? There's a difference between calling your opponent's position Nazism versus simply referring to the law.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 2:25:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I mean, why would you want to? Lol it'd be such a piss-poor argument to even run lol.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?
No one normal accomplished anything meaningful in this world.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 6:56:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The longer any conversation goes on for, in any form, the larger the probability of it broaching a topic also becomes.
No one normal accomplished anything meaningful in this world.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 6:57:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 6:56:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The longer any conversation goes on for, in any form, the larger the probability of it broaching a topic also becomes.

Totally - I think Hitler would agree.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 6:57:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 6:57:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:56:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The longer any conversation goes on for, in any form, the larger the probability of it broaching a topic also becomes.

Totally - I think Hitler would agree.

Dude, that's such a Nazi thing to say...
No one normal accomplished anything meaningful in this world.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 6:58:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 6:57:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:57:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:56:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The longer any conversation goes on for, in any form, the larger the probability of it broaching a topic also becomes.

Totally - I think Hitler would agree.

Dude, that's such a Nazi thing to say...

Really? If there's a connection, I'm Nazi-ing it.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:49:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 6:58:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:57:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:57:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:56:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The longer any conversation goes on for, in any form, the larger the probability of it broaching a topic also becomes.

Totally - I think Hitler would agree.

Dude, that's such a Nazi thing to say...

Really? If there's a connection, I'm Nazi-ing it.

That's not the first pun I'd Jews in that situation...
No one normal accomplished anything meaningful in this world.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 3,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:52:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 7:49:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:58:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:57:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:57:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 6:56:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:24:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/19/2014 3:01:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In what debate would the law even be relevant? Unless you're debating the law itself?

Yeah, exactly.

The law is also stupid. As any conversation gets longer, the chance of *anything* getting mentioned approaches one as the conversation's length approaches infinite.

I'd probably debate someone on the law's viability.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The longer any conversation goes on for, in any form, the larger the probability of it broaching a topic also becomes.

Totally - I think Hitler would agree.

Dude, that's such a Nazi thing to say...

Really? If there's a connection, I'm Nazi-ing it.

That's not the first pun I'd Jews in that situation...

White are you guys making these puns for?
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Check out the latest episode of Nautilus:
http://www.debate.org...

It's a great series... some say

If you want to see the trailer for my movie, go here:
http://www.debate.org...

"This is all just propaganda," Airmax

"Oops wrong account," UtherPenguin