What is your biggest debate flaw?

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:45:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I figured I'd take a page from TUF's book, so:

What do you think is your biggest flaw in regards to your debating?

In my case, though of course I'm pretty flawed in general, what I think my ACTUAL biggest flaw is, is that I'm terrible at thinking up resolutions, which means I don't debate much unless I see one I'm interested in in the challenge section and it hasn't already been accepted.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:50:31 PM
What is your biggest debate flaw? I'd say losing
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:57:21 PM
Ummm giving arguments and rebuttals. I try to not get into challenging debates, but I end up accepting just cause I would feel bad for declining a challenge.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:04:11 PM
Losing the forest for the trees.

I like to read my opponent's studies and refute them, but I often have to remind myself not to get lost in minutiae.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:08:48 PM
I use big words and long sentences which -however grammatically correct- tend to result in my talking over readers' heads.

I also assume people know more than they do, entirely too often.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:14:04 PM
At 2/21/2014 5:45:45 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

In my case, though of course I'm pretty flawed in general, what I think my ACTUAL biggest flaw is, is that I'm terrible at thinking up resolutions, which means I don't debate much unless I see one I'm interested in in the challenge section and it hasn't already been accepted.

You are one of the most self defeating people I know man.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:16:28 PM
I over explain an argument that readers probably understood within the first sentence. I am trying to take notes from phantoms book. I notice he can make a great argument, word it perfectly, and keep it simple and short to move on to the next thing. I am sure that would help with reading character limits too.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:19:53 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:16:28 PM, TUF wrote:
I over explain an argument that readers probably understood within the first sentence. I am trying to take notes from phantoms book. I notice he can make a great argument, word it perfectly, and keep it simple and short to move on to the next thing. I am sure that would help with reading character limits too.

Then whenever we have a debate I may just understand ? Cause whenever I'm in a debate and people use the whole "contention" or "cases" style... Thhhhhhaaaattt really confuses me and throws me off to a start and usually end up losing the debate.. But I try lol...
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:20:43 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:14:04 PM, TUF wrote:

Self-deprecation keeps me humble!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:21:33 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:19:53 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Then whenever we have a debate I may just understand ? Cause whenever I'm in a debate and people use the whole "contention" or "cases" style... Thhhhhhaaaattt really confuses me and throws me off to a start and usually end up losing the debate.. But I try lol...

Its all formatting really. LD debaters don't really have an advantage if you make your next equally neat and readable haha
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:22:43 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:20:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As long as you realize to some extent that you are pretty brilliant i guess that's okay.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:25:51 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:20:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I agree with that statement!
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:27:20 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:21:33 PM, TUF wrote:

Its all formatting really. LD debaters don't really have an advantage if you make your next equally neat and readable haha

Uhh no format has nothing to do with it from what I've seen.. Some people have that higher level of intellectuality whereas people like me need simple directness to understand..,
"Good Times" ~ Max
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:29:09 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:27:20 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Uhh no format has nothing to do with it from what I've seen.. Some people have that higher level of intellectuality whereas people like me need simple directness to understand..,

In reference to contentions I mean. You don't need to have them just make sure your arguments are presentable and easy to read and understand.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:32:16 PM

If you're a bit confused by the way things have been phrased, you can always ask for clarification--there's no rule against reaching out to other members to help you understand your opponent's case.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:33:13 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:29:09 PM, TUF wrote:

In reference to contentions I mean. You don't need to have them just make sure your arguments are presentable and easy to read and understand.

Lol, I'm a simple direct person I'm sure my arguments will be readable TUF haha JK! I'll do my best though, thanks for the tips! :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:34:42 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:32:16 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

If you're a bit confused by the way things have been phrased, you can always ask for clarification--there's no rule against reaching out to other members to help you understand your opponent's case.

I understand, but what if you do ask and they're not corporate? Cause believe it or not there's one debate that that happened to me
"Good Times" ~ Max
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:37:47 PM

I got what you were saying at first, but I started getting confused when you mentioned phantom.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:39:04 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:34:42 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I understand, but what if you do ask and they're not corporate? Cause believe it or not there's one debate that that happened to me

You can always ask one of the folks on your friend list, too, y'know. PMs are wonderful things...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:40:37 PM
conduct probably
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:45:26 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:39:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/21/2014 6:34:42 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

You can always ask one of the folks on your friend list, too, y'know. PMs are wonderful things...

Chess, truth be told. They are. :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:47:22 PM
Being overly complicated...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:57:10 PM
1. My writing style is horrible. I've read my past debates and the writing sounds like it's from a 3rd grader. It's grammatically correct and all, but it's awkward. I also tend to miss small errors like spelling, typing something twice, or reversing word order.

2. I find myself devoting paragraphs to why my opponent is dumb. Sometimes I don't feel refuting his argument is enough.
0x5f3759df
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:00:33 PM
A) Conduct. I'll openly call my opponent's arguments dumb. Not that I really care, that's just who I am.

B) I get really, really, really technical in my arguments a lot. I know I get a lot of "this uses waaay too much debate jargon" comments in RFDs, particularly from Roy, and so a lot of my arguments get lost on voters who aren't as familiar with high school debating. I suck at appealing to the lay judges.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:03:35 PM
At 2/21/2014 7:00:33 PM, Zaradi wrote:
A) Conduct. I'll openly call my opponent's arguments dumb. Not that I really care, that's just who I am.

If I'm judging, that wouldn't cost you conduct points with me. Some people make dumb arguments. I see no reason not to point that out.

B) I get really, really, really technical in my arguments a lot. I know I get a lot of "this uses waaay too much debate jargon" comments in RFDs, particularly from Roy, and so a lot of my arguments get lost on voters who aren't as familiar with high school debating. I suck at appealing to the lay judges.
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:04:17 PM
At 2/21/2014 7:03:35 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2014 7:00:33 PM, Zaradi wrote:

If I'm judging, that wouldn't cost you conduct points with me. Some people make dumb arguments. I see no reason not to point that out.

Which is why I love judges like you who don't give two sh*ts about conduct :P
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:04:23 PM
At 2/21/2014 6:40:37 PM, imabench wrote:
conduct probably

lol... that's why you should debate with people like me, who don't give a fvck.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:04:26 PM
Being too logical. I have the same flaw when playing mafia as well. I am not very good at appealing to people's emotions. (Note that appealing to emotions is different from being emotional, of course).