Jump to topic:

Recent DDO ongoings

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 7:28:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So the day after I leave DDO, it gets revolutionized. How fitting. It's friday, and I've truly worked myself more in three days than most normal people do in two weeks. Amazing what DDO abstinence does to you.

A couple of things:

Let's look at the new voting thing for what it really is. This is a great opportunity to bring RFDs to an entirely new level. It shouldn't be a way to police or expose each other. Doing that will just spread animosity and justify bad voting practices as a form of personal vengeance. Now that votes aren't private anymore, I think that we should all think about how we're going to move forward and change the way we vote instead of dwell on the past.

It's pointless to initiate a witch-hunt. All it will do is start chaos. This is a big new change in DDO history, the impact of which won't be felt in full for a while. But believe me, you'll feel it after more debates get started. For now, I highly advise anyone who is caught up in trying to catch votebombers to stop what they are doing and just move forward. The important thing is that from this point on, vote bombers will have a much, MUCH more difficult chance of getting away and that should be good enough.

If you truly have an issue with someone, don't do all this "Calling you out!" stuff I see going on. Send a PM. Be polite, be courteous. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe they were angry with you over something in the past but have no issue with you now.

I'm not going to lie, it would be bad if someone actually did look through my voting record while I was away. If anyone wants to know, I'll come clean:

For all I know, my "dishonest" voting is comprised of a few things:

1. When I was screwing around with trying to get either Lwerd or L-M back on top of the leaderboard during the few days that I was on top. I boosted their debate scores upwards unfairly and without RFDs. To my knowledge, these were put back in order but I can't be sure. I apologize.

2. For all debates I participate in, I am aware that there are some accounts that will vote me up for no reason. To compensate, I have voted in all debates I have participated in, past the most recent ones, against myself 7 points.

We all vote 7's without RFDs *sometimes*, and we don't *always* leave RFDs. But now, we should be more inclined to and we should respect that everyone is getting a second chance, and deserves that second chance to fix any damage that they have done.

Lwerd: I applaud you for doing what I expected you to do. See that all this childish drama is absolutely meaningless in terms of what it means to you. You've never cared about the stupid labels that people have put on you, and paying any attention to all the BS going on about the "Hall of Fame" is beneath you. Kudos to you for staying the rock you are.

Monbirds: Seriously? I understand that there are issues of integrity but you really didn't have to blow so many things out of proportion. There are better ways to settle things, more civil ways. I personally think that if you approached Lwerd and Vi in a more respectful way, instead of calling them out in a huge public manner, you would get a decent explanation and maybe even some modified votes.

Regarding Trolls: Remember what to do with trolls. Don't feed trolls, and tell troll-feeders to kindly stop. If a troll with an interesting position pops up, and he is stimulating activity, take his position and make it contribute. Instead of letting the troll dominate discussion, take the troll's points away from him and play devil's advocate. Try supporting his point of view and arguing amongst yourselves.

This serves many purposes. If the troll is only seeking attention, he will be turned away by the fact that his ranting has been replaced by actual intellectual discussion. On the other hand, if he WAS trolling, the fact that his positions are somewhat accepted may lead him to convert into being a good and thoughtful contributer to our forum, purely because we are treating his views with respect. Furthermore, you don't lose the excitement of new stimulus. Trolls are great for boosting activity, but you don't need to troll for that, we can do that just by adapting their arguments and their style and trying to defend it. By doing that, we can play with new ideas and new positions while actually contributing intelligent discourse and not meaningless rants that are meant only to provoke.

Just my two cents. I'm severely limiting myself on how much DDOing I do. Sorry for the long ramble. I'll make another post later on this weekend, and again next week, but not during weekdays. Self-control, yeeeah!

P.S. If anyone at all wants me to leave an RFD for their debate, or to argue points, please send me a PM. I will definitely respond to it eventually. I want to make sure that I right any wrongs I may have made.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 7:55:10 PM
At 1/22/2010 7:28:59 PM, Kleptin wrote:
So the day after I leave DDO, it gets revolutionized. How fitting. It's friday, and I've truly worked myself more in three days than most normal people do in two weeks. Amazing what DDO abstinence does to you.

A couple of things:

Let's look at the new voting thing for what it really is. This is a great opportunity to bring RFDs to an entirely new level. It shouldn't be a way to police or expose each other. Doing that will just spread animosity and justify bad voting practices as a form of personal vengeance. Now that votes aren't private anymore, I think that we should all think about how we're going to move forward and change the way we vote instead of dwell on the past.

It's pointless to initiate a witch-hunt. All it will do is start chaos. This is a big new change in DDO history, the impact of which won't be felt in full for a while. But believe me, you'll feel it after more debates get started. For now, I highly advise anyone who is caught up in trying to catch votebombers to stop what they are doing and just move forward. The important thing is that from this point on, vote bombers will have a much, MUCH more difficult chance of getting away and that should be good enough.

If you truly have an issue with someone, don't do all this "Calling you out!" stuff I see going on. Send a PM. Be polite, be courteous. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe they were angry with you over something in the past but have no issue with you now.

I'm not going to lie, it would be bad if someone actually did look through my voting record while I was away. If anyone wants to know, I'll come clean:

1. When I was screwing around with trying to get either Lwerd or L-M back on top of the leaderboard during the few days that I was on top. I boosted their debate scores upwards unfairly and without RFDs. To my knowledge, these were put back in order but I can't be sure. I apologize.

2. For all debates I participate in, I am aware that there are some accounts that will vote me up for no reason. To compensate, I have voted in all debates I have participated in, past the most recent ones, against myself 7 points.

We all vote 7's without RFDs *sometimes*, and we don't *always* leave RFDs. But now, we should be more inclined to and we should respect that everyone is getting a second chance, and deserves that second chance to fix any damage that they have done.

Lwerd: I applaud you for doing what I expected you to do. See that all this childish drama is absolutely meaningless in terms of what it means to you. You've never cared about the stupid labels that people have put on you, and paying any attention to all the BS going on about the "Hall of Fame" is beneath you. Kudos to you for staying the rock you are.

Monbirds: Seriously? I understand that there are issues of integrity but you really didn't have to blow so many things out of proportion. There are better ways to settle things, more civil ways. I personally think that if you approached Lwerd and Vi in a more respectful way, instead of calling them out in a huge public manner, you would get a decent explanation and maybe even some modified votes.

Regarding Trolls: Remember what to do with trolls. Don't feed trolls, and tell troll-feeders to kindly stop. If a troll with an interesting position pops up, and he is stimulating activity, take his position and make it contribute. Instead of letting the troll dominate discussion, take the troll's points away from him and play devil's advocate. Try supporting his point of view and arguing amongst yourselves.

This serves many purposes. If the troll is only seeking attention, he will be turned away by the fact that his ranting has been replaced by actual intellectual discussion. On the other hand, if he WAS trolling, the fact that his positions are somewhat accepted may lead him to convert into being a good and thoughtful contributer to our forum, purely because we are treating his views with respect. Furthermore, you don't lose the excitement of new stimulus. Trolls are great for boosting activity, but you don't need to troll for that, we can do that just by adapting their arguments and their style and trying to defend it. By doing that, we can play with new ideas and new positions while actually contributing intelligent discourse and not meaningless rants that are meant only to provoke.

Just my two cents. I'm severely limiting myself on how much DDOing I do. Sorry for the long ramble. I'll make another post later on this weekend, and again next week, but not during weekdays. Self-control, yeeeah!

P.S. If anyone at all wants me to leave an RFD for their debate, or to argue points, please send me a PM. I will definitely respond to it eventually. I want to make sure that I right any wrongs I may have made.

BACK To WORK!!!!!!! lol
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 8:13:57 PM
At 1/22/2010 7:28:59 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Kleptin has some quite unique ideas of "dishonest" voting.

Now get back to work.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 3:50:16 AM
I might start abstaining. Well, I have no choice, homework to do, then Irish lessons,then a friends party, all today.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.