Jump to topic:

Really..?!

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 9:07:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, unless you haven't logged on for awhile, you will have noticed that DDO has been engaged in a war over the permissibility of discussing bestiality, pedophilia, and incest on the site.

This post is not saying one side is right, or one side is wrong. Rather it is to express the following reaction: "WTF. Really?! Why are you blowing up the forums over this? It's ridiculous."

Or, phrased more politely, I am perplexed as to why this has become such a hot-button topic. Frankly, there may have been some value in having a rational discussion about YYW's proposal when he first made it. Many members did participate in that discussion in a productive way, whether they disagreed with YYW or not. I think the community would have ultimately rejected YYW's proposal as it was framed, but I do think having a levelheaded discourse about it would have been, at the very least, given everyone a chance to fairly air their views on the subject.

However, these threads have clearly devolved into chaos. There are those of us who would like to log on without seeing the main forum page cluttered with tons of different threads devoted to this conflict. Seriously, people... Moreover, I feel like these threads will merely act as seedbeds for flame wars and enmity.

So, why am I making yet another post about this? To ask other people to stop posting about it.

I think that, given the current climate, there is nothing productive to be gained from debating this topic further--at least for now. These threads are not just becoming derailed internally, but are derailing the main forum section. Could we please just call a truce, and let calmer heads prevail? Whichever side of this you find yourself on, I think many of us can agree that, at this point in time, these threads are serving no purpose other than to stir up unneeded animus.

This is not directed at any specific person, just to clarify. Rather, it is directed to everyone who has contributed to derailing these threads. I would appreciate it if we could just stop posting for awhile...

/end
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 9:14:56 AM
At 3/5/2014 9:07:55 AM, bsh1 wrote:
So, unless you haven't logged on for awhile, you will have noticed that DDO has been engaged in a war over the permissibility of discussing bestiality, pedophilia, and incest on the site.

This post is not saying one side is right, or one side is wrong. Rather it is to express the following reaction: "WTF. Really?! Why are you blowing up the forums over this? It's ridiculous."

Or, phrased more politely, I am perplexed as to why this has become such a hot-button topic. Frankly, there may have been some value in having a rational discussion about YYW's proposal when he first made it. Many members did participate in that discussion in a productive way, whether they disagreed with YYW or not. I think the community would have ultimately rejected YYW's proposal as it was framed, but I do think having a levelheaded discourse about it would have been, at the very least, given everyone a chance to fairly air their views on the subject.

However, these threads have clearly devolved into chaos. There are those of us who would like to log on without seeing the main forum page cluttered with tons of different threads devoted to this conflict. Seriously, people... Moreover, I feel like these threads will merely act as seedbeds for flame wars and enmity.

So, why am I making yet another post about this? To ask other people to stop posting about it.

I think that, given the current climate, there is nothing productive to be gained from debating this topic further--at least for now. These threads are not just becoming derailed internally, but are derailing the main forum section. Could we please just call a truce, and let calmer heads prevail? Whichever side of this you find yourself on, I think many of us can agree that, at this point in time, these threads are serving no purpose other than to stir up unneeded animus.

This is not directed at any specific person, just to clarify. Rather, it is directed to everyone who has contributed to derailing these threads. I would appreciate it if we could just stop posting for awhile...

/end

^this
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 9:29:06 AM

I'll stop. I already won the war, so why continue to battle? [YYW said he gave up] But all those threads have a point. They are up there, and the site somehow has managed not to implode.

This is not directed at any specific person, just to clarify.

yes it is
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 9:31:25 AM
At 3/5/2014 9:29:06 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I'll stop. I already won the war, so why continue to battle? [YYW said he gave up] But all those threads have a point. They are up there, and the site somehow has managed not to implode.

Why did you have to make that dig? This thread is to try to end that type of discourse, so we can move on.

Of course the site managed not to implode, but no before some old tension were revisited and some new ones sparked.

This is not directed at any specific person, just to clarify.

yes it is

No, it isn't.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 9:43:11 AM
At 3/5/2014 9:31:25 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Of course the site managed not to implode, but no before some old tension were revisited and some new ones sparked.

If anyone is holding a grudge over this, they are taking things too seriously - which is how we got here in the first place.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 9:47:20 AM
At 3/5/2014 9:43:11 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/5/2014 9:31:25 AM, bsh1 wrote:

If anyone is holding a grudge over this, they are taking things too seriously - which is how we got here in the first place.

Unfortunately, people tend to take things too seriously (not that talking about issues like pedophilia should ever be lighthearted), which is why I believe this should really just end.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:18:52 PM
Bumpz...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:24:21 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:18:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpz...

Yeah, there's not really a productive conversation to be had on this. Bluesteel refuses to meaningfully engage on this, and would instead prefer to act like an idiot and a troll. I mean really, even Izbo wouldn't have done that...

But, it seems that a majority of everyone else thinks this is censorship, which they believe is a universally bad thing that can never be good in any circumstance. And that's fine. DDO has spoken.

The only people who have actually come out in support of the idea of limiting sexual crap on the site are Bladerunner, Roy, and... to a lesser degree, you.
Tsar of DDO
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:27:10 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:24:21 PM, YYW wrote:
Bumpz...

Yeah, there's not really a productive conversation to be had on this. Bluesteel refuses to meaningfully engage on this, and would instead prefer to act like an idiot and a troll. I mean really, even Izbo wouldn't have done that...

But, it seems that a majority of everyone else thinks this is censorship, which they believe is a universally bad thing that can never be good in any circumstance. And that's fine. DDO has spoken.

The only people who have actually come out in support of the idea of limiting sexual crap on the site are Bladerunner, Roy, and... to a lesser degree, you.

I would be in favor of it, but I don't want to engage with the trolls :(
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:27:30 PM
I've never done troll warfare.

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:28:02 PM
I faintly remember something about "being the abyss" but I don't remember the context.

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:33:13 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:27:10 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Bumpz...

I would be in favor of it, but I don't want to engage with the trolls :(

Trolling trolls is fun, but the problem is that people typically b!tch and moan whenever I do it...
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:35:21 PM
Bumpz...

Yeah, there's not really a productive conversation to be had on this. Bluesteel refuses to meaningfully engage on this

Look whose talking, oh yea the guy who wants people to be banned for having productive conversations.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:37:15 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:35:21 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
Bumpz...

Yeah, there's not really a productive conversation to be had on this. Bluesteel refuses to meaningfully engage on this

Look whose talking, oh yea the guy who wants people to be banned for having productive conversations.

That's not really relevant, but w/e.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:45:42 PM
Bumpz...

Same thing I said to Bluesteel: no digging in this thread.

It has. I am not sure I'm 100% okay with what DDO has said, but I really feel like the discussion should be closed, at least atm.

To a lesser degree...don't be angry with me on that though. I'm trying to look at all POVs, and I see a ton of merit in both sides. My problem, as with most things, is that I see merit to such an extent in both sides of the argument, that I can have trouble deciding where precisely I fall.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:46:34 PM
Bumpz...

Dream, please avoid digs/sarcasm. This thread is meant to deescalate things, not to become a forum for jibes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:48:12 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:45:42 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpz...

It has. I am not sure I'm 100% okay with what DDO has said, but I really feel like the discussion should be closed, at least atm.

To a lesser degree...don't be angry with me on that though. I'm trying to look at all POVs, and I see a ton of merit in both sides. My problem, as with most things, is that I see merit to such an extent in both sides of the argument, that I can have trouble deciding where precisely I fall.

I'm not angry with you at all. I expect that there are all kinds of people who would disagree with me, but there are some who have made worthwhile observations and others who have not. I'm not really even angry with bluesteel either... just disappointed that he did what he did.
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:56:03 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:46:34 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpz...

Dream, please avoid digs/sarcasm. This thread is meant to deescalate things, not to become a forum for jibes.

YYW can deescalate things by apologizing and making a full 180. His behavior, person, and philosophy are an abomination to mankind.

The reason he tries to get me and others whom he cannot meet in the arena of ideas, banned is because he thinks that if somehow he attacks us, in whatever way he can, he can mitigate the fact that he is depraved, as a human being.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:58:04 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:56:03 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
Bumpz...

YYW can deescalate things by apologizing and making a full 180. His behavior, person, and philosophy are an abomination to mankind.

Dream, please stop posting if you're going to continue finger-pointing. The idea of this thread is to calm things down. You are only re-escalating things with your behavior.

The reason he tries to get me and others whom he cannot meet in the arena of ideas, banned is because he thinks that if somehow he attacks us, in whatever way he can, he can mitigate the fact that he is depraved, as a human being.

Again, please be civil, or stop posting.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 2:59:57 PM
Bumpz...

Sigged.
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:00:27 PM
Bsh1 your admiration for YYW (if any) is sadly misplaced. The first interaction I had with you was you condemning someone in strong terms for implying that the non-normal is the immoral in reference to one of my debates about bestiality.

Answer me truly, have you read http://www.debate.org... post #315?

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:00:58 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:58:04 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpz...

Dream, please stop posting if you're going to continue finger-pointing. The idea of this thread is to calm things down. You are only re-escalating things with your behavior.

Again, please be civil, or stop posting.

http://m.youtube.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:07:00 PM
At 3/5/2014 2:48:12 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/5/2014 2:45:42 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Bumpz...

I'm not angry with you at all.

Whew.

I expect that there are all kinds of people who would disagree with me, but there are some who have made worthwhile observations and others who have not.

That's fair.

I'm not really even angry with bluesteel either... just disappointed that he did what he did.

-_-
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:08:49 PM
I'm going to give my "really" here, because it's detestable, really, that this moron gets so much attention and respect, even if it is mainly from the closet homosexual and surrounding Christians.

What this recent spurt of threads was was in fact YYW vying for my attention or making some absolutely childish retort otherwise. First off there was that thread where I painted YYW as the little boy without a dad, loving the shove he's granted on DDO, as though that's him in control. Then there was further flame, YYW craving an interaction with me in the forum, me just laughing at him. And now this, he takes this stance, completely contrary to mine, only to rile me once again, and he fills his posts with both plagiarisms of what I post on here, only twisted, and projections onto others of what I say of him. And he fills DDO with it, no less, as the child's bawling so grates upon the ears.

It's a farce, and anyone taking him seriously should actually be ashamed of themselves. I mean, whatever about your morality, but just as regards intelligence, this is utterly pathetic, let alone hugely creepy.

Kindly shut the f*ck up, bsh1.

I do wonder, though, how he copes with himself. I've recently been watching interviews of Marina Diamandis, a morally devoid, though intelligent artist, and she so often subconsciously gives the audience and the interviewers the middle finger it's kind of ridiculous. And I mean, it's obvious why, of course, but she seems to be literally bursting at the seams with pent-up... well, existence. It must be hard.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:10:18 PM
At 3/5/2014 3:08:49 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I'm going to give my "really" here, because it's detestable, really, that this moron gets so much attention and respect, even if it is mainly from the closet homosexual and surrounding Christians.

What this recent spurt of threads was was in fact YYW vying for my attention or making some absolutely childish retort otherwise. First off there was that thread where I painted YYW as the little boy without a dad, loving the shove he's granted on DDO, as though that's him in control. Then there was further flame, YYW craving an interaction with me in the forum, me just laughing at him. And now this, he takes this stance, completely contrary to mine, only to rile me once again, and he fills his posts with both plagiarisms of what I post on here, only twisted, and projections onto others of what I say of him. And he fills DDO with it, no less, as the child's bawling so grates upon the ears.

It's a farce, and anyone taking him seriously should actually be ashamed of themselves. I mean, whatever about your morality, but just as regards intelligence, this is utterly pathetic, let alone hugely creepy.

Kindly shut the f*ck up, bsh1.

I do wonder, though, how he copes with himself. I've recently been watching interviews of Marina Diamandis, a morally devoid, though intelligent artist, and she so often subconsciously gives the audience and the interviewers the middle finger it's kind of ridiculous. And I mean, it's obvious why, of course, but she seems to be literally bursting at the seams with pent-up... well, existence. It must be hard.

Badger opinion is so relevant. I mean, whenever I don't know what to think about something, the first thing I ask myself is... what would Badger think?

lol
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:13:44 PM
You know what, YYW, I do genuinely pity you dude. Maybe you're just getting the same compassion I show Marina Diamandis, as a byproduct of that, and then maybe it's all just down to her being cute (lol), but I do, I pity you.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:15:04 PM
At 3/5/2014 3:13:44 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You know what, YYW, I do genuinely pity you dude. Maybe you're just getting the same compassion I show Marina Diamandis, as a byproduct of that, and then maybe it's all just down to her being cute (lol), but I do, I pity you.

Wow. Very informative.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 3:16:11 PM
At 3/5/2014 3:00:27 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
Bsh1 your admiration for YYW (if any) is sadly misplaced. The first interaction I had with you was you condemning someone in strong terms for implying that the non-normal is the immoral in reference to one of my debates about bestiality.

Dream, I am not getting into a debate with you here. That really wasn't the purpose of this thread, and I am disappointed that you are turning this thread into a platform to insult other members.

Your experiences with YYW aside, and my feelings about your conflict aside, can we not simply call it a truce for awhile? I am just asking that, to use the old, somewhat annoying expression: "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing."

In regards to our own personal encounter, I apologized for that particular comment. It was insensate, and it crossed a line. I am not afraid to acknowledge that. But this is neither the time nor the place to rehash old quarrels, particularly when I have already given you my apology. It seems merely gratuitous to persist in referencing it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics