Jump to topic:

Special Debates

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:02:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am planning to host a tournament of special debates I need suggestions for a list of possible handicaps to inflict on debaters.

What I have so far:

1. No sources may be cited for one round.
2. A particular word is banned for one round (ie. "the", "is")
3. One round's argument must be pasted into Google Translate, translated directly to a foreign language, and translated back into English.
4. One round's argument must be in the form of a poem.
5. For the whole debate, only 3 arguments may be made in total.
6. For one round, only 1 syllable words / words less than 5 letters long , are allowed

I am also considering strange debate formats. One I have in mind is this:

Two debates are created in tandem, with the opponents arguing Pro as well as Con for the same resolution. Each debater must post their Pro and Con argument at the same time.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:03:11 PM
At 3/8/2014 10:02:20 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I am planning to host a tournament of special debates I need suggestions for a list of possible handicaps to inflict on debaters.

What I have so far:

3. One round's argument must be pasted into Google Translate, translated directly to a foreign language, and translated back into English.
6. For one round, only 1 syllable words / words less than 5 letters long , are allowed

Two debates are created in tandem, with the opponents arguing Pro as well as Con for the same resolution. Each debater must post their Pro and Con argument at the same time.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm in, but for number 3, can it be hmong?
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:05:23 PM

What I have so far:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

OnE RoUnD MuSt Be TyPeD lIkE tHiS (one caps one small and this string continues word from word. If you are caught messing up more than once you ff 7 points)

You must pose an entire rounds contentions in the rebuttals in the form of questions

One debate has 30 min response times with a minimum of 5k characters that must be submitted along with 2 sources.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:05:57 PM
At 3/8/2014 10:05:23 PM, Mikal wrote:

What I have so far:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

OnE RoUnD MuSt Be TyPeD lIkE tHiS (one caps one small and this string continues word from word. If you are caught messing up more than once you ff 7 points)

You must pose an entire rounds contentions and the rebuttals in the form of questions

One debate has 30 min response times with a minimum of 5k characters that must be submitted along with 2 sources.

Fixed
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:30:41 PM

What I have so far:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

One round must be typed with one hand, or with your nose...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:34:29 PM
lol... How about everyone goes out and finds a retard and the winner is whoever can better educated their retard on a certain philosophical position?
LuckyStars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 12:23:47 AM

What I have so far:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

7. Both debaters must put the word: (Insert random words here) before the debate ends.

8. Debaters must post their rounds 30 minutes before their time ends?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 6:46:21 PM
You have to make at least three references to Nicholas Cage every round. Whether it be a quote, a picture, or a dream you had about him last night.

This is genius, folks.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."