Diplomacy

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 11:49:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hitler,
Managed to re-arm, occupy the saar, annex austria, occupy the sudentenland and occupy all of Czecheslovakia... all without starting off the war.

If he was as a good a strategist as a diplomat things would have gone differently!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 12:07:18 PM
At 1/24/2010 11:49:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Hitler,
Managed to re-arm, occupy the saar, annex austria, occupy the sudentenland and occupy all of Czecheslovakia... all without starting off the war.

If he was as a good a strategist as a diplomat things would have gone differently!

No, no, that isn't diplomacy. Hitler never bothered with diplomacy. He simply marched in and took over countries that he knew Britain and France wouldn't care about, or would be too pointless for them to start a war over. Thats strategy, not diplomacy.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 12:08:26 PM
At 1/24/2010 12:06:39 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 1/24/2010 12:05:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Cuban Missile crisis IMO.

As an example of successful diplomacy? Hardly!

Got rid of Nuclear weapons from Cuba, and averted a nuclear winter. Probably some of the most crucial diplomacy ever.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 6:22:06 PM
At 1/24/2010 12:08:26 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Got rid of Nuclear weapons from Cuba, and averted a nuclear winter. Probably some of the most crucial diplomacy ever.

It also unnecessarily brought the world as close as it has ever come to nuclear war. It was poor diplomacy that caused it in the first time. Both sides acted too strongly and did not give the other enough room to maneuver and save face. Neither nation, nor its leaders, wanted things to get as out of hand as they did. Yet, both sides kept pushing because they did not want to lose face in the eyes of the world.

Good diplomacy would have prevented the crisis from becoming a crisis in the first place.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 6:24:37 PM
The only reason that there were not any launches is because the Soviets backed down. If they had not, Kennedy certainly was not going to.

The Soviet demand in exchange for pulling the missiles had been for the U.S. to pull missiles out of Turkey - where Kennedy had actually thought the missiles had already been removed because he had ordered them to be removed. So he let the world come close to nuclear war partially over some missile sites that he didn't even want!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 7:43:01 PM
At 1/24/2010 12:05:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Cuban Missile crisis IMO.

Khrushchev actually made a good point during the Cuban missile crisis though; he didn't want to remove the missiles from Cuba while the US had missiles in Turkey. Why should he have to give in to American hypocrisy? Not that I support Khrushchev or anything, just saying...