Jump to topic:

Clean Up the Main Page DDO

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 1:36:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Every time I log in it seems the main page, not the dashboard but the main home screen that any visitor can see, is filled with absolute garbage.

Today it's "Should I kill my grandpa?", yesterday it was some horrible misspelled poll about how god is evil.

Another lovely poll on the home page is "Jebus Crist" -> Funny ... because that's some how hilarious.

It's absolute garbage. If this is the first impression people are getting when they come to the site I am ashamed.

Someone needs to select what gets put on the home page to make a good first impression. Ironically, the opinions and polls are the source of most of the absolute crap that is getting displayed and those sections were created to bring in viewers.

Clean up your page DDO, its embarrassing.
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 1:45:11 PM
At 3/11/2014 1:36:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Every time I log in it seems the main page, not the dashboard but the main home screen that any visitor can see, is filled with absolute garbage.

Today it's "Should I kill my grandpa?", yesterday it was some horrible misspelled poll about how god is evil.

Ye I found that one really funny lol. Its an honest question though.

Another lovely poll on the home page is "Jebus Crist" -> Funny ... because that's some how hilarious.

What's wrong with people trying to have a little fun? All the bad polls get removed anyway.

It's absolute garbage. If this is the first impression people are getting when they come to the site I am ashamed.

Someone needs to select what gets put on the home page to make a good first impression. Ironically, the opinions and polls are the source of most of the absolute crap that is getting displayed and those sections were created to bring in viewers.

DDO will survive. The moderators do clean up DDO, but not within 5 seconds of a bad opinion/poll.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 1:51:11 PM
At 3/11/2014 1:45:11 PM, STALIN wrote:

Ye I found that one really funny lol. Its an honest question though.

What's wrong with people trying to have a little fun? All the bad polls get removed anyway.

DDO will survive. The moderators do clean up DDO, but not within 5 seconds of a bad opinion/poll.

It's just annoying. Every day I log in to see juvenile, stupid crap instead of clever stuff.
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 1:53:35 PM

It's just annoying. Every day I log in to see juvenile, stupid crap instead of clever stuff.

What do you define as clever stuff?
I'm so fancy, you already know.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 1:55:14 PM
At 3/11/2014 1:53:35 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:

It doesn't matter. Anything will do that doesn't reek of stupidity.
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 1:56:25 PM
At 3/11/2014 1:55:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/11/2014 1:53:35 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:

It doesn't matter. Anything will do that doesn't reek of stupidity.

Well that's general.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:14:05 PM
Of course. Instead of going by comments, put the debates with the most likes on the main page. So a debate with a rating of +10 but only 5 comments goes on the homepage instead of a debate with a rating of -10 but 20 comments.
Ashton
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:19:34 PM
At 3/11/2014 2:14:05 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Of course. Instead of going by comments, put the debates with the most likes on the main page. So a debate with a rating of +10 but only 5 comments goes on the homepage instead of a debate with a rating of -10 but 20 comments.

That's actually a really good idea.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:21:03 PM

Yeah exactly. That'd be a lot better.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:24:42 PM

I agree and further more state that the whole site is doing itself an injustice to what the actual potential to such a site could be.

Like people actually voicing their arguments and actually getting fair votes, instead of being outvoted by alter accounts or friends who always agree with friends.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:29:03 PM
At 3/11/2014 2:24:42 PM, johnlubba wrote:

I agree and further more state that the whole site is doing itself an injustice to what the actual potential to such a site could be.

Like people actually voicing their arguments and actually getting fair votes, instead of being outvoted by alter accounts or friends who always agree with friends.

We're trying to push for a one-person-one-vote policy for voting to alleviate that as well.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:38:30 PM

Someone needs to select what gets put on the home page to make a good first impression.

I volunteer

Ironically, the opinions and polls are the source of most of the absolute crap that is getting displayed and those sections were created to bring in viewers.

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 2:52:05 PM
At 3/11/2014 2:38:30 PM, imabench wrote:

Someone needs to select what gets put on the home page to make a good first impression.

I volunteer

Ironically, the opinions and polls are the source of most of the absolute crap that is getting displayed and those sections were created to bring in viewers.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. lol
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 3:40:12 PM
At 3/11/2014 1:40:47 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:
Amen. Clean up your act DDO. I'm ashamed.

Things have been worse.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
LuckyStars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 3:49:23 PM
At 3/11/2014 2:21:03 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

But wouldn't we run the risk of having only troll debates that receive tons of Likes over things that are: "Clever"?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 3:55:32 PM
At 3/11/2014 3:49:23 PM, LuckyStars wrote:
At 3/11/2014 2:21:03 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

But wouldn't we run the risk of having only troll debates that receive tons of Likes over things that are: "Clever"?

Do troll debates really get that many likes? And if they do they're usually pretty funny or between well known debaters.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:02:52 PM
At 3/11/2014 3:40:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Things have been worse.

Not for a long time. The problem is this isn't likely to go away; not what's on the homepage but the low quality postings in general. The opinions and polls section are the cause of all the trash but those sections bring in most of the traffic. DDO has way more people and Facebook likes than when those sections weren't here. Which means Juggle are never going to get rid of them.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:05:02 PM

I volunteer as tribute

Fixed.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:05:23 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:02:52 PM, phantom wrote:

Things have been worse.

Not for a long time. The problem is this isn't likely to go away; not what's on the homepage but the low quality postings in general. The opinions and polls section are the cause of all the trash but those sections bring in most of the traffic. DDO has way more people and Facebook likes than when those sections weren't here. Which means Juggle are never going to get rid of them.

Not that Juggle cares about Facebook likes lol. I'm just using that to demonstrate how much more popular this site has become. We had less than 1k not too long ago. Now we have 7k.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:07:14 PM

Things have been worse.

Which in turn turns into a feedback loop. Opinion and Polls sections get more traffic. More traffic means more users. More users means more potential for garbage. Garbage scares away potential good users but promotes trolls.

As long as these things are in place in the current form the number of good users joining the site is bound to decrease in the name of page views. The number of idiots, trolls and bogus accounts will continue to increase until the site is choked to death.

Then we'll all have to flee to Edeb8.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:08:51 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:05:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I volunteer as tribute

Fixed.

http://media.giphy.com...
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:13:43 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:07:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Things have been worse.

Which in turn turns into a feedback loop. Opinion and Polls sections get more traffic. More traffic means more users. More users means more potential for garbage. Garbage scares away potential good users but promotes trolls.

As long as these things are in place in the current form the number of good users joining the site is bound to decrease in the name of page views. The number of idiots, trolls and bogus accounts will continue to increase until the site is choked to death.

So morbid. You'll start a panic.

What's Edeb8?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:15:15 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:13:43 PM, phantom wrote:

Things have been worse.

What's Edeb8?

The site Larz created after his presidential run failure. He claims it's DDO but better. However, the site lacks a user base and I find it much less user friendly than DDO.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:17:07 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:15:15 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Things have been worse.

What's Edeb8?

The site Larz created after his presidential run failure. He claims it's DDO but better. However, the site lacks a user base and I find it much less user friendly than DDO.

I'll have to check it out.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:17:57 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:17:07 PM, phantom wrote:

Things have been worse.

What's Edeb8?

Go for it, let us know what you think!

http://www.edeb8.com...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:28:19 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:17:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Things have been worse.

What's Edeb8?

Probably the best attempt at making a site I've seen from users here. It doesn't seem to have died at least and it looks like it has some advantages over DDO. All the debates I saw were fails and the I agree it's less user friendly. I might join but I don't even spend much time on here so I don't see the point.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 4:30:57 PM
At 3/11/2014 4:28:19 PM, phantom wrote:
At 3/11/2014 4:17:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Things have been worse.

What's Edeb8?

Probably the best attempt at making a site I've seen from users here. It doesn't seem to have died at least and it looks like it has some advantages over DDO. All the debates I saw were fails and the I agree it's less user friendly. I might join but I don't even spend much time on here so I don't see the point.

That's how I feel as well.