Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Please take responsibility for self! Frust'd.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 2:52:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I feel like I'm constantly having to both lead horses to water and make them drink. I can see what change is such a painstaking process, especially when it seems like one is constantly forced to beg for understanding. Minorities do not have the "burden of proof" to make others act ethically. You have a personal responsibility to evaluate the ethics of your own actions. I should not have to coerce people into responsibility and understanding, but over and over again I feel like I'm put in that position.

Therefore, please recognize that anti-black racism is a widespread, contemporary problem, that sexism against women is a widespread, contemporary problem, that anti-immigrant racism is a widespread, contemporary problem, and that anti-queer discrimination and hate is a widespread, contemporary problem. YOU are responsible for determining fairly whether or not these things are true. IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MINORITIES TO PROVE THEIR OPPRESSION TO OTHERS OR FORCE OTHERS TO ACT ETHICALLY!!!

*Heavy sigh*

Soapbox over.

Feel free to comment. I'll comment back if I feel like it.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 2:55:23 PM
At 3/12/2014 2:52:01 PM, kbub wrote:
I feel like I'm constantly having to both lead horses to water and make them drink. I can see why change is such a painstaking process, especially when it seems like one is constantly forced to beg for understanding. Minorities do not have the "burden of proof" to make others act ethically. Each one of you has a personal responsibility to evaluate the ethics of your own actions. I should not have to coerce people into responsibility and understanding, but over and over again I feel like I'm put in that position.

Therefore, please recognize that anti-black racism is a widespread, contemporary problem, that sexism against women is a widespread, contemporary problem, that anti-immigrant racism is a widespread, contemporary problem, and that anti-queer discrimination and hate is a widespread, contemporary problem. YOU are responsible for determining fairly whether or not these things are true. IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MINORITIES TO PROVE THEIR OPPRESSION TO OTHERS OR FORCE OTHERS TO ACT ETHICALLY!!!

*Heavy sigh*

Soapbox over.

fix'd
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 2:57:19 PM
At 3/12/2014 2:55:50 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:
We need to be able to say "mea culpa" more.

Good point.
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 2:59:33 PM
Cause skipped the pride, if you hurt someone or mess up sincerely saying it's my fault and apologizing helps people to know you're mature enough to take responsibility.
I'm so fancy, you already know.
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 2:59:59 PM
At 3/12/2014 2:59:33 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:
Cause skip the pride, if you hurt someone or mess up sincerely saying it's my fault and apologizing helps people to know you're mature enough to take responsibility.

fix'd
I'm so fancy, you already know.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 10:58:01 PM
At 3/12/2014 2:52:01 PM, kbub wrote:
I feel like I'm constantly having to both lead horses to water and make them drink. I can see what change is such a painstaking process, especially when it seems like one is constantly forced to beg for understanding. Minorities do not have the "burden of proof" to make others act ethically. You have a personal responsibility to evaluate the ethics of your own actions. I should not have to coerce people into responsibility and understanding, but over and over again I feel like I'm put in that position.

*Heavy sigh*

Soapbox over.

I agree! As a financially secure white male I have it pretty easy in America. Because I was born into this though I never naturally became aware of the unearned privilege that comes with my skin color and gender. It is up to the dominant culture group to lead by example when it comes to setting the standards for our society to live by. More often than not, even when men or white people are willing to help the minority groups gain power or privilege, the white males themselves are unwilling to relinquish any of their own power. There is alot to be done, in terms of equality, and it will only start when the dominant groups start realizing that helping others while refusing to truly compromise really won't solve much...

In fact, I believe that this unbalanced approach is what has allowed for our society to form this sort of white guilt or sense of needing to prove something in terms of backwards racism and over-sensitivity. For instance, I doubt anyone will argue that President Obama's meteoric rise to power wasn't assisted by America's desire to prove that it is not a racist country anymore - and yet, the second anyone suggests that, they are immediately labeled a racist. Same for if anyone dares speak out against the actions of a Jewish person. More often than not, they are immediately labeled anti-semantic. It's gotten to a point where basic criticism is analysed for underlying racism whenever it's a man of another race (usually white) commenting negatively on the actions of a minority.

This also applies to women. Yet, instead of it being a form of white-guilt, it is a form of male-guilt. I have heard more than several people say recently that they would vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016 because it's time a woman takes office. I personally have no problem with a female president, but Hillary Clinton couldn't even handle the responsibilities of Secretary of State. She failed her duties and then proceeded to step down. I can respect her decision to take the fall and leave the position but is that really the type of quality we want for President? Someone who couldn't even handle the responsibility of a lower office? More importantly, who is to say that she wouldn't just step down as President if $hit hits the fan like she did as Secretary of State? These are all valid questions that need to be asked but no one is asking them because they are blinded by male-guilt and once again, a 'need' to prove something to the world is overcoming the rational thinking necessary when choosing who we want to lead America.

Just my 2 cents.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...