Jump to topic:

The history of DDO

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:18:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Someone give me a history of DDO. I'm curious. Who started it? What are the great landmarks in DDO history? What great members have receded into loving memory, and are no longer active?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:24:25 PM
Imabench has a DDO History forum somewhere around here.

Once upon a time DDO was chalk full of right wingers. We had a generation about 2 years ago that had a ton of 'em. Sadly most of them are gone now.

As of late we've had a huge influx of libertarian left wingers.
Nolite Timere
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:28:45 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:24:25 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Once upon a time DDO was chalk full of right wingers. We had a generation about 2 years ago that had a ton of 'em. Sadly most of them are gone now.

I shoudl look into that.... I lurked here for a while, and just started debating a little over a month ago. But I remember reading Contradiction debates a while back.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:31:38 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:28:45 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I shoudl look into that.... I lurked here for a while, and just started debating a little over a month ago. But I remember reading Contradiction debates a while back.

Contradiction was one of the last that stuck around for a bit.

Some off the top of my head were: 16KAdams, Ron Paul (Subutai now, but he became a libertarian), 1HistoryGenius and Contradiction. There were others of course. Maybe Inquire Truth but I'm not sure.
Nolite Timere
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:32:41 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:31:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Some off the top of my head were: 16KAdams, Ron Paul (Subutai now, but he became a libertarian), 1HistoryGenius and Contradiction. There were others of course. Maybe Inquire Truth but I'm not sure.

Why did they leave?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:32:55 PM

*ahem* CP *ahem*
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:36:34 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:32:55 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:37:02 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:32:41 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Why did they leave?

Just got tired of DDO I guess.

There are still a few active ones though.
Nolite Timere
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:37:17 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:36:34 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

But I'm still here so :D
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:40:33 PM

Why did they leave?

Thett3, ConservativePolitico, TUF, Nur-Ab-Sal, KeytarHero, and Philoscristos were also part of that generation.

Man, that was one hell of a generation of DDOians.
Nolite Timere
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:42:01 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:40:33 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Why did they leave?

Thett3, ConservativePolitico, TUF, Nur-Ab-Sal, KeytarHero, and Philoscristos were also part of that generation.

I remember reading Nur-Ab-Sal debates too. Wish that dude would come back, I've wanted to discuss Thomism with him for a while. ;P

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:43:47 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:37:17 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

Oh yeah, you! :P XD

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:45:56 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:43:47 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

Yes, me.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:49:18 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:42:01 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Why did they leave?

I remember reading Nur-Ab-Sal debates too. Wish that dude would come back, I've wanted to discuss Thomism with him for a while. ;P

All of them were fantastic people and debaters. Truly a golden age of DDO. I became an active member near the end of it.

I didn't know you were interested in Thomism theology. I'm actually planning on studying it pretty soon.
Nolite Timere
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:49:47 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:45:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

Yes, me.

Did you change genders?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:52:01 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:49:18 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Why did they leave?

All of them were fantastic people and debaters. Truly a golden age of DDO. I became an active member near the end of it.

I didn't know you were interested in Thomism theology. I'm actually planning on studying it pretty soon.

Yeah, I'd probably consider myself something of a Thomist/Idealist... :P

You should check out Edward Feser's books Aquinas and The Last Superstition, as well as his blog. He's probably one of the most popular Thomists nowadays.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:52:04 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:49:47 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

Yes, me.

Did you change genders?

I'm a full blown red blooded American Male.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:53:11 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:52:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

Yes, me.

Did you change genders?

Oh I was gonna say, you could give Invisibledeity some advice, cuz he seems to be into that stuff :P

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:54:24 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:52:01 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Why did they leave?

You should check out Edward Feser's books Aquinas and The Last Superstition, as well as his blog. He's probably one of the most popular Thomists nowadays.

I actually own the like beginner's guide to Aquinas by Edward Feser. I haven't gotten to starting it yet though.
Nolite Timere
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:56:10 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:53:11 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/13/2014 3:52:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

*ahem* CP *ahem*

oh derp haha

Yes, me.

Did you change genders?

Oh I was gonna say, you could give Invisibledeity some advice, cuz he seems to be into that stuff :P

My profile pic is just my favorite celebrity ever.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 3:57:28 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:54:24 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Why did they leave?

I actually own the like beginner's guide to Aquinas by Edward Feser. I haven't gotten to starting it yet though.

Yes, that's a good one too. He only goes into Aquinas' natural theology though.. I mean if you look into the Summa Theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles, there's like thousands of pages on like every topic imaginable.

You can find all of Aquinas' works at the link below... ;) prepare to have your mind blown at the amount of stuff he wrote.

http://dhspriory.org...

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 4:10:23 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:57:28 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/13/2014 3:54:24 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Why did they leave?

Yes, that's a good one too. He only goes into Aquinas' natural theology though.. I mean if you look into the Summa Theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles, there's like thousands of pages on like every topic imaginable.

You can find all of Aquinas' works at the link below... ;) prepare to have your mind blown at the amount of stuff he wrote.

http://dhspriory.org...

I just mindgasmd
Nolite Timere
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 5:33:22 PM
At 3/13/2014 3:18:22 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Someone give me a history of DDO. I'm curious. Who started it? What are the great landmarks in DDO history?

http://www.debate.org...

What great members have receded into loving memory, and are no longer active?

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 6:15:42 PM

Gay marriage should be allowed! Abortion is justice for all!
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 7:06:11 PM
At 3/13/2014 5:33:22 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/13/2014 3:18:22 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Someone give me a history of DDO. I'm curious. Who started it? What are the great landmarks in DDO history?

What great members have receded into loving memory, and are no longer active?

Thanks, benchi.

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 9:03:11 PM

Man, you know you've been around this forum when the "old timers" explaining how there used to be right wingers don't even mention the AnCap exodus...

This site has been around a pretty long time.

Anyone able to give an account of the AnCaps? I wasn't very active at the time and was only vaguely aware of it...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 9:21:44 PM
At 3/13/2014 9:03:11 PM, Raisor wrote:

Man, you know you've been around this forum when the "old timers" explaining how there used to be right wingers don't even mention the AnCap exodus...

This site has been around a pretty long time.

Anyone able to give an account of the AnCaps? I wasn't very active at the time and was only vaguely aware of it...

Lol seriously.

It happened right after I started browsing the forums (my first few months I was almost exclusively a debater), all I really remember was feeling desperately out of the loop and feeling slightly offended that they were talking sh!t about all the new members, which included me and watching their spin off site fail. They really hated most of us noobs...I guess some things never change, lol.

That was nearly 3 years ago... I wonder how many people around now can remember that
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 10:14:14 PM
Petty infighting between members don't classify as landmarks.

Debate.com, the advent of the 7 point voting system, and the huge civil war that led to what you people now call "reason for voting" are landmarks. That last one...that was a bloody battle. We lost most of our best debaters in that one. Half the people on the leaderboard left after that fiasco.

The creation of a forum and private messaging are landmarks.

This site has come a long way.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 10:28:49 PM
At 3/13/2014 10:14:14 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Petty infighting between members don't classify as landmarks.

I agree, but the site drama is still a part of site history -even if it is one that some of us would prefer to overlook.

Debate.com, the advent of the 7 point voting system, and the huge civil war that led to what you people now call "reason for voting" are landmarks. That last one...that was a bloody battle. We lost most of our best debaters in that one. Half the people on the leaderboard left after that fiasco.

The creation of a forum and private messaging are landmarks.

This site has come a long way.

The ELO ranking system is the most significant improvement that's happened since I've been on the site. It's also the single improvement that Juggle has implemented that I fully supported.

Changing the color scheme and site layout was a landmark.

The Opinion Section and Polls section's creation was also a landmark.

I think eventually there will be team debates and a especially a chat feature would probably encourage users to be on here more regularly, increasing views and the potential to expose members to ads. Those will be landmarks, when they come -and good ones.
Tsar of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 10:40:55 PM
The anarchists from the exodus were Askbob, AndromedaZ, JKenyon, Sieben, Cody, TV, Grape, Thaddeus, LaissezFaire, Spinko, Freeman, Nags, and Reasoning (fished it out of an old PM when Askbob asked me to join the exodus). Not all of them left but quite a good portion did. It wasn't exclusively anarchists of course but the exodus was basically the end of the reign of anarchists (all those members mentioned were big by the way). Other members were part of the exodus as well and since I, as a fairly new member and non-anarchist, was invited I assume there were allot of other members too but I don't remember.

If I remember correctly, Askbob being banned was basically the final cause that set it off. There was allot of discontent prior to his banning but at least most of the anarchists disagreed with his banning and approved of some of his techniques. He had finally caused Brainmaster (infamous troll) to leave the site but his methods were controversial and he got perma banned. The large amount of trolling going on and the unwillingness to ban trolls (why Inommen never banned Brainmaster before is beyond me) was part of the discontent so Askbob was a bit of a hero to some; Brainmaster was only one troll he got rid of.

Then Sieben got banned but the thread that got him banned was deleted when I wasn't on so I don't know all the details why. They issued some kind of statement prior to leaving I recall, created mainly by Sieben and Grape I think. Not every member mentioned left, and some came back of course, but it was a major blow to the site as some of those members were easily amongst the best we've had.

According to the PM with Askbob (well his multi) they planned on joining a new forum but hadn't "decided on the forum yet, we plan on leaving permanently or until Juggle cleans up the site, adds features and stops banning me".
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)