Jump to topic:

1st annual LD Debate Tournament

Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:36:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi I haven't been a member for that long, but I think that the trend of Tournaments are great. And because of this I thought that a lincoln douglas debate tournament would be great. And so I propose the following rules

1) The topic would be the January/February topic

2) Kritiks, Theory, etc. are acceptable if their is clear abuse.

3) 8,000 character limit

4) 24 hour response time

Any other ideas feel free to comment. Those who are interested please do as well.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:41:10 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:36:14 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
Any other ideas feel free to comment. Those who are interested please do as well.
4) 24 hour response time
Not ideal for school-time tournaments.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:44:52 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:41:10 PM, wjmelements wrote:
4) 24 hour response time

Your probably right. 3 days?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:45:27 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:44:52 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
4) 24 hour response time

72 hours, yes.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:47:26 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:45:27 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 1/25/2010 6:44:52 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
4) 24 hour response time

Sounds good to me.

Know anyone else who is willing to join? I might need some one else to help me set it up and run it. like powering rounds etc.

72 hours, yes.
Metz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:52:11 PM
Im In. Especially if Kritiks are Legit =)

Who will be the judges? I will judge some rounds if you need me too.
"And Thus Spake Zarathustra"-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Metz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:54:04 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:50:59 PM, Puck wrote:
A tournament using a single topic?

zzzz

Yeah... Also since its the current topic Im a bit reluctant to release my cases as of this point with some of our biggets tournaments coming up. How about we do Compulsory Immunization? or even SEE?
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:54:06 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:52:11 PM, Metz wrote:
Im In. Especially if Kritiks are Legit =)

Who will be the judges? I will judge some rounds if you need me too.

I am thinking establish a judging board of 5 people. Idk though. I knew people would join if Kritiks, theories and the stuff were allowed :).
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 7:02:00 PM
At 1/25/2010 6:54:27 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
At 1/25/2010 6:50:59 PM, Puck wrote:
A tournament using a single topic?

zzzz

I would disagree....

I wouldn't disagree. Repetition makes judging really boring.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 7:06:49 PM
Repition with arguments. yes.

but with Kritiks, theory, and disads at people's availability their is minimal repetition. and on this topic there is a great variety of possibility. On top of all of this though, the lack of participants will prevent a lot of repetition.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 7:58:12 PM
Meh...I went to an LD tournament and everybody was using the same arguments. Realism sucks blah blah, Sanctions killed 500k Iraqi children, Nations should only have power and that's it. Meh...besides LD has become policy now a days...It's not really going to be interesting to read a bunch of policy debates.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:21:11 PM
At 1/25/2010 7:58:12 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Meh...I went to an LD tournament and everybody was using the same arguments. Realism sucks blah blah, Sanctions killed 500k Iraqi children, Nations should only have power and that's it. Meh...besides LD has become policy now a days...It's not really going to be interesting to read a bunch of policy debates.

Realism is dumb, and I have like 20 blocs against it. and the statistic is 667,513. :D
and 1,578,674. :P

I dislike new age LD as much as the next guy but if you want to be alone and debate all we have is LD.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:30:07 PM
At 1/25/2010 8:23:51 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Guh. Really? You're letting policy stuff in? F*ck that.

How bout we do one of the tentative topics for each round, ie. one nukes, the next pharmicutical bills etc...

what about that?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 9:01:31 PM
At 1/25/2010 8:30:07 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:

How bout we do one of the tentative topics for each round, ie. one nukes, the next pharmicutical bills etc...

what about that?

I don't think you're getting me. Kritiks, disads, and the like. That's all complete sh*t.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 9:08:51 PM
At 1/25/2010 9:01:31 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

what about that?

I don't think you're getting me. Kritiks, disads, and the like. That's all complete sh*t.

I am sorry but you are drastically mistaken. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a disad, K's are hard to follow but are clever if used properly, and theory when done right and at the appropriate time holds actual value.

you don't have to use any of them but the option is open.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 9:15:11 PM
At 1/25/2010 9:08:51 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:

what about that?

I am sorry but you are drastically mistaken. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a disad

Except where debating the resolution is concerned. LD isn't a debate over the merits of a policy; that's what policy debate is for.

K's are hard to follow but are clever if used properly

Being "clever" has nothing to do with debating the resolution; interestingly enough, neither do most kritiks. Kritiks are the LD equivalent of kicking someone's dog because you couldn't/refused to resolve a dispute with him.

and theory when done right and at the appropriate time holds actual value.

I don't have problems with most theory arguments, as long as they're relevant.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 9:19:06 PM
At 1/25/2010 9:15:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

what about that?

I am sorry but you are drastically mistaken. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a disad

Except where debating the resolution is concerned. LD isn't a debate over the merits of a policy; that's what policy debate is for.

I am sorry this is a policy topic, disads are great for it. And you can't always run disads only on permitting topics. therefore we ought to be allowed to do such.

Being "clever" has nothing to do with debating the resolution; interestingly enough, neither do most kritiks. Kritiks are the LD equivalent of kicking someone's dog because you couldn't/refused to resolve a dispute with him.

You miss the point, Kritiks on foreign policy are interesting and clever they allow for views to enter in a debate. Making you able to add your own feeling s and emotions to an event that was started to discuss issues of this nature

agreed
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 9:30:22 PM
At 1/25/2010 9:19:06 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
At 1/25/2010 9:15:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

what about that?

I am sorry this is a policy topic, disads are great for it.

The topic discusses the ethical implications of allowing economic sanctions; the debate doesn't concern foreign policy objectives.

And you can't always run disads only on permitting topics. therefore we ought to be allowed to do such.

LD isn't made for stupid sh*t like disads and CPs, no matter what topic. Like I said, that's why it was created - to get AWAY from policy.

You miss the point, Kritiks on foreign policy are interesting and clever

1) You said that already.

2) Being "clever" has nothing to do with the debate, apart from making someone look like a douche.

3) We aren't debating foreign policy. We're debating economic sanctions as a tool of foreign policy. Questioning the objectives takes away from the intention of the resolution.

they allow for views to enter in a debate. Making you able to add your own feelings and emotions to an event that was started to discuss issues of this nature.

You're doing it wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Honestly, though - if you want to put your "feelings" into your debate, do it through logical, relevant arguments.

agreed

And, no theory arguments as part of cases - they're only applicable if one's opponent commits theory violations.
Metz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 10:04:19 PM
At 1/25/2010 9:33:42 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
To stop spamming. I drop the k's I hate them so much...

but disads and CPs are a must for resolutions like these.

A K is no more than a philosophical argument. Actually more LD than policy. If we are debating the morals of a topic then shouldn't a critical view of morality be considered?
Like on this topic why do we accept the views of people like Kant, but disregard Badiou,Thayer, Spanos, Douzinas etc? If I can offer a critique of military humanitarianism, Human rights, global actions etc. Why doesn't that affirm as well as a critique of consequentialism (i.e deontology?)

Disads are really not a policy argument at all, in fact the only are in name. Disad is essentially "affirming resolution causes X bad thing to happen" That's just consequentialism.

As for CP's I think they are the least justifiable. Consult, Delay, Agent, PIC, etc. Are just stupid. Especially in LD. But the straight up counter-advocacy (like informed consent on the immunization topic, or smart sanctions on this topic) are completely justifiable. After all, an option taken alone may seem fine, but can then be held immoral when compared to another. Morality isn't a vacuum and yes occasionally it is Zero-Sum.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 2:09:22 PM
I'm in if you REINSTATE K. Disadds and CPs are crap in LD (those arguments are specific to a policy stance, as they pretty much require plan and solvency warrants and all that), but like K is legit for LDV. I also don't dig the proposed topics. Some of us only have time to write one case.

Besides, tournaments ALWAYS use the same topic for 2 months, so if it's a legit LDV tournament, then that's life. Tough titties.
Metz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 7:38:36 PM
At 1/26/2010 2:09:22 PM, alto2osu wrote:
I'm in if you REINSTATE K. Disadds and CPs are crap in LD (those arguments are specific to a policy stance, as they pretty much require plan and solvency warrants and all that), but like K is legit for LDV. I also don't dig the proposed topics. Some of us only have time to write one case.

Disads are not policy specific but yeah I don't want to get into a CP debate. I hate CP debates mainly because I think the Negative should be more creative than throwing around alternatives.
And yeah Im with alto.. GIVE US OUR K!! =)
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 7:39:33 PM
At 1/26/2010 2:09:22 PM, alto2osu wrote:

Besides, tournaments ALWAYS use the same topic for 2 months, so if it's a legit LDV tournament, then that's life. Tough titties.

I think it should be judge preference. Like in reality run a K in front of a lay judge at your own risk. but to clear things up they are allowed! But what topic? If you say one topic, i agree, which?