Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

How Necessary is Framework for a debate?

Dakota-Hiltzman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 10:14:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For convenience and overall clarity, let's define framework as "Any analysis, observation, or rules which govern how a debate round operates, aside from the arguments themselves"

For highly technical styles such as Policy, NPDA, and even LD, I couldn't fathom a round without at least some manner of framework. But for styles like PF, IPDA, and even some more casual debates on this site, is framework even necessary? If the resolution clearly identifies the burdens and responsibilities of each debater, is there any need for framework?

Personally, I'm inclined to say there isn't a need, but mild framework can be a huge benefit. I think it's fair to say the community attitude towards semantic debates are pretty negative, so as long as the terms are clear there isn't usually a need for definitions.

Thoughts?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 10:19:27 PM
At 3/16/2014 10:14:37 PM, Dakota-Hiltzman wrote:
Personally, I'm inclined to say there isn't a need, but mild framework can be a huge benefit.

This.

You're never going to lose just for not offering a framework for judging the debate, but if you do offer one, it can be a huge advantage.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Dakota-Hiltzman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 10:23:02 PM
At 3/16/2014 10:19:27 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/16/2014 10:14:37 PM, Dakota-Hiltzman wrote:
Personally, I'm inclined to say there isn't a need, but mild framework can be a huge benefit.

This.

You're never going to lose just for not offering a framework for judging the debate, but if you do offer one, it can be a huge advantage.

I like the idea of debate as a public advocacy event. If you have to tell you audience how to think about your arguments, I don't feel like you're doing a very good job making your case. Framework can be particularly bothersome in PF. Like, if I'm supposed to be a citizen judge, how much sense does it make to tell me how to judge?