Jump to topic:

To Clarify and Consolidate

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 6:30:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
First of all, I apologize for the plethora of threads and spin off threads I have caused the past couple of days. This thread should act as a consolidation method. I want to ask anyone who has been posting in my other threads to have an open, civil, dialogue here as to keep the conversation in one place.

Secondly, I want to clarify a few things.

1. I do not hate DDO, in fact, it's quite the opposite. I am voicing concerns that I feel are valid and others have also seen. I wish to see a few things changed.
a) If you don't agree, great. That's what sites like this are for.
b) Telling me to "just leave already" as many members have expressed is the type of behavior DDO needs to cut down on. Instead of asking me why I feel certain ways people just want me to "shut up". Dialogue and differences of opinion can lead to meaningful change, that's what I'm looking to promote.

2. I wanted to broadcast a secondary option to DDO that one should consider looking at. I am testing out edeb8 but I am in no way about to abandon this site for that one on a whim. Edeb8 has some neat features about it that I wanted to make aware to the general public. Competition is what causes things to thrive. My intention was that if people saw some of the cooler features on a different site they would see the dichotomy and perhaps wish to see them here too. Competition can only help.

3. As a member with 2 years of experience on the site, over 150 debates and nearly 7k forum posts it should be obvious that I like to spend time here and I want to continue to spend time here. I have the best intentions for the site at heart. If people don't agree with my views fine, I'm not trying to override the majority. Juggle reiterated to me why the opinion section exists and while I don't like it I am not advocating for the complete destruction of parts of the site members enjoy but rather some changes to make them higher quality.

Again, if you don't agree, have a dialogue with me. I want to bring dialogue and constructive conversation back to a site I love. I'm not leaving DDO without a fight. I am willing to work more closely with TUF and Juggle to help things along if they need it, I am not abandoning the site.

I just wanted to make a few things clear and ask that if you want to talk about this topic, do it here.

Thanks.

CP<3
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 6:55:11 PM
Airmax should sticky the thread Juggle actually responded to. I think that's the one where this discussion should be consolidated into, not here.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:59:37 PM
At 3/17/2014 6:30:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
First of all, I apologize for the plethora of threads and spin off threads I have caused the past couple of days. This thread should act as a consolidation method. I want to ask anyone who has been posting in my other threads to have an open, civil, dialogue here as to keep the conversation in one place.

Secondly, I want to clarify a few things.

1. I do not hate DDO, in fact, it's quite the opposite. I am voicing concerns that I feel are valid and others have also seen. I wish to see a few things changed.
a) If you don't agree, great. That's what sites like this are for.
b) Telling me to "just leave already" as many members have expressed is the type of behavior DDO needs to cut down on. Instead of asking me why I feel certain ways people just want me to "shut up". Dialogue and differences of opinion can lead to meaningful change, that's what I'm looking to promote.

2. I wanted to broadcast a secondary option to DDO that one should consider looking at. I am testing out edeb8 but I am in no way about to abandon this site for that one on a whim. Edeb8 has some neat features about it that I wanted to make aware to the general public. Competition is what causes things to thrive. My intention was that if people saw some of the cooler features on a different site they would see the dichotomy and perhaps wish to see them here too. Competition can only help.

This is a very good point. The fact that DDO has little competition, besides edeb8, allows it to get away with mediocre/poor aspects of its good. I agree with you here completely.

3. As a member with 2 years of experience on the site, over 150 debates and nearly 7k forum posts it should be obvious that I like to spend time here and I want to continue to spend time here. I have the best intentions for the site at heart. If people don't agree with my views fine, I'm not trying to override the majority. Juggle reiterated to me why the opinion section exists and while I don't like it I am not advocating for the complete destruction of parts of the site members enjoy but rather some changes to make them higher quality.

I imagine many people, who have been on this site for a similar amount of time, would have very similar sentiments to you. I have only a fraction of site usage, over time, as you have, and I really don't want to leave, at all.

Again, if you don't agree, have a dialogue with me. I want to bring dialogue and constructive conversation back to a site I love. I'm not leaving DDO without a fight. I am willing to work more closely with TUF and Juggle to help things along if they need it, I am not abandoning the site.

I just wanted to make a point about new users...

The best way I see to introduce new users, is to allow a basic kind of entry level. Many users have been turned away from this site, because they start a debate, and get grilled in the first round. This makes them feel scared/shocked/blow-away, so they end up leaving the site after posting just one round.

With the opinion and poll sections, these are far easier for new users to grasp and handle, especially when compared to a seasoned debater. Perhaps the poll section needs revising, so I'd agree with you there, but the opinion sections requires argumentation, and I think it would serve as a great entry level to this site.

I just wanted to make a few things clear and ask that if you want to talk about this topic, do it here.

Thanks.

CP<3