Jump to topic:

Learn how to cite things

BobTurner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 10:53:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Far too often I see people make a baseless assertion and tack on a footnote, as though it justifies the assertion.

That, my friend, is a bare-assertion fallacy, or even an appeal to authority if you're saying, "Here's a paper from Glenn Hubbard; clearly it must be credible."

So here's some advice: provide a quote from the article, or the 200-page academic paper you've cited. Makes it easier for everyone.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 11:24:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com...
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:14:09 PM
At 3/20/2014 10:53:14 AM, BobTurner wrote:
Far too often I see people make a baseless assertion and tack on a footnote, as though it justifies the assertion. [citation needed]

FTFY :D
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:17:30 PM
At 3/20/2014 10:53:14 AM, BobTurner wrote:
Far too often I see people make a baseless assertion and tack on a footnote, as though it justifies the assertion.

That, my friend, is a bare-assertion fallacy, or even an appeal to authority if you're saying, "Here's a paper from Glenn Hubbard; clearly it must be credible."

So here's some advice: provide a quote from the article, or the 200-page academic paper you've cited. Makes it easier for everyone.

lol... this thread.
Tsar of DDO
BobTurner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:59:31 PM
Well, this flurry of insightful posts demonstrates to me why DDO is collapsing. Calling a perfectly valid point dumb, without tiniest shred of evidence or analysis, is something many members of this site know all too well.