Jump to topic:

It will be a while

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 5:38:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know most of you have hardly noticed my absence from the site, but I am sure that a few of the people I argue with on a regular basis (Garret and Nummi, specifically) may have noticed that I'm not on anymore. I just want to make it forum official that I have overrun by the evil henchmen of the Great and Powerfull REAL LIFE, and thus Cannot frequent the interwebz. Any free time I get is spent fostering my new addiction to Pokemon, courtesy of bsh1 and TylerGraham. They should never have introduced me to the fascinating world of Pokemon.

P.S.

I want to clarify that I am in no way comparing Garret to Nummi. Garret is an intelligent debater, capable of presenting nuanced arguments and well thought positions, (though I do not agree with them), while Nummi is a raging lunatic, incapable of logic on even an elementary level, and a menace to himself as well as the rest of society.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 5:40:28 PM
At 3/21/2014 5:38:39 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
I know most of you have hardly noticed my absence from the site, but I am sure that a few of the people I argue with on a regular basis (Garret and Nummi, specifically) may have noticed that I'm not on anymore. I just want to make it forum official that I have overrun by the evil henchmen of the Great and Powerfull REAL LIFE, and thus Cannot frequent the interwebz. Any free time I get is spent fostering my new addiction to Pokemon, courtesy of bsh1 and TylerGraham. They should never have introduced me to the fascinating world of Pokemon.

P.S.

I want to clarify that I am in no way comparing Garret to Nummi. Garret is an intelligent debater, capable of presenting nuanced arguments and well thought positions, (though I do not agree with them), while Nummi is a raging lunatic, incapable of logic on even an elementary level, and a menace to himself as well as the rest of society.

So want to vote on this while you are on? Then you may return to Laven - Pokemon.

http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 5:59:54 PM
At 3/21/2014 5:40:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

P.S.

So want to vote on this while you are on? Then you may return to Laven - Pokemon.

Done.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:02:47 PM
At 3/21/2014 5:59:54 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 3/21/2014 5:40:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

P.S.

Done.

Thanks a lot!
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:09:51 PM

P.S.

Are you playing Pokemon Red/Blue or Pokemon X/Y or another region?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:10:54 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:01:57 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/21/2014 6:01:32 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
bsh1 plays pokemon, I am not surprised.

What's wrong with Pokemon?

I think it was a heinous manipulation. Magical little creatures to keep you safe and be your friend, and also equal to success in the world of pokemon, learning new skills being a big part of each pokemon or whatever... it's a big lie that had kids go out and spend a fortune on a fairy tale that instilled zero good values, arguably negative values, the whole "god" thing all over again. It basically took bad feelings and wrapped them up in retardation.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:14:29 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:09:51 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

P.S.

Are you playing Pokemon Red/Blue or Pokemon X/Y or another region?

Just finished Gen I and starting crystal.

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:15:20 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:10:54 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I think it was a heinous manipulation. Magical little creatures to keep you safe and be your friend, and also equal to success in the world of pokemon, learning new skills being a big part of each pokemon or whatever... it's a big lie that had kids go out and spend a fortune on a fairy tale that instilled zero good values, arguably negative values, the whole "god" thing all over again. It basically took bad feelings and wrapped them up in retardation.

Wow. How old are you?

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:17:54 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:15:20 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

I'm 23 dude. That's what Pokemon is, and I disagree with it. I know you might like pokemon or whatever and it's a buzzkill, but there it is. It is simply grotesque that people manipulate others as such, in my opinion.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:19:10 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:17:54 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

I'm 23 dude. That's what Pokemon is, and I disagree with it. I know you might like pokemon or whatever and it's a buzzkill, but there it is. It is simply grotesque that people manipulate others as such, in my opinion.

Is this not applicable to all fictional entertainment? Manipulation of others for profit?

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:21:16 PM
I noticed your absences. I hope everything goes well though :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:22:52 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:19:10 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

Is this not applicable to all fictional entertainment? Manipulation of others for profit?

Not at all. There are many great authors out there who use fantasy to reach kids, knowing that fantasy is where they retreat to in early days, J.K. Rowling for example, who used Harry Potter to teach kids all sorts of wonderful things, rather than... well, what pokemon did, rather than simply wrapping bad feelings up in retardation and games and cards for personal gain.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:25:42 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:22:52 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

Not at all. There are many great authors out there who use fantasy to reach kids, knowing that fantasy is where they retreat to in early days, J.K. Rowling for example, who used Harry Potter to teach kids all sorts of wonderful things, rather than... well, what pokemon did, rather than simply wrapping bad feelings up in retardation and games and cards for personal gain.

The whole "god" nonsense might play a large part in kids turning to fantasy too btw. A heinous manipulation to contribute to other such heinous manipulation.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:30:18 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:25:42 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

The whole "god" nonsense might play a large part in kids turning to fantasy too btw. A heinous manipulation to contribute to other such heinous manipulation.

God? Manipulation? Negative values? Are we talking about the same game?

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:31:05 PM
Of course pretty much every way in which we entertain ourselves is in line with pokemon, but what's particularly heinous is that whoever the f*ck it was that created pokemon actually knew full well what they were doing.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:31:50 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:30:18 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

We are. I'm just talking about it more intelligently than you are.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:33:46 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:31:50 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

Can you explain each of your points? You seem not to have played pokemon at all, and are under the "parent impression".

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:33:46 PM
Kids who like Zelda then might be considered more grounded, but the enjoyment taken from playing the game is the same, it's still delusional. FPS's - obvious. And so on. Again, the worst thing about pokemon is that the dudes who created it actually knew what they were doing.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:39:53 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:33:46 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

Can you explain each of your points? You seem not to have played pokemon at all, and are under the "parent impression".

Wrong, I was that little bastard of a kid who stole everyone else's pokemon cards, snapped at their delusions, lol. Look, there is a certain power to imagination that most people seems completely unaware. Basically though, you become the imagination, and your feelings will relate to it. If you feel better in that imagination, you'll reside there, you'll need it, you'll pay money for it. This is Christianity and conventional religion in a nutshell. All those images, the Virgin Mary - aren't we always giving each other sh*t over each other's mothers being prostitutes? The Garden of Eden, it's common psychology that people basically just don't like other people because other people reduce their significance. The oldest sibling will resent new siblings being brought into the family for example. Adam was the sole man, and we fell, and that lovely imagination is the Christian God, which all the retards are trying to get back to, and so on, and so on, and so on. It's, at the least, all disgustingly dishonest and to hugely stunt man's growth, if not to also instill him with vicious qualities.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 6:48:33 PM

Wow. How old are you?

He's referring to the Pokemon called "Arceus," I believe. Play Pokemon Diamond and you'll find out what I'm talking about.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 7:03:20 PM
What is the allure of this thing called Pokemon that would hold an adults attention? I see kids toys with that name on it, but that is the extent of my knowledge of Pokemon.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 7:18:18 PM

Played. Past tense. I stopped playing around 7/8th grade when it lost popularity. I haven't even looked at mine in long time now that I think about it...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 7:19:25 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:40:40 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I had about 5,000 pokemon cards and didn't pay for a single one, lol.

Pot and kettle, anyone?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 7:23:39 PM
At 3/21/2014 6:39:53 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 3/21/2014 6:33:46 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Wow. How old are you?

Wrong, I was that little bastard of a kid who stole everyone else's pokemon cards, snapped at their delusions, lol. Look, there is a certain power to imagination that most people seems completely unaware. Basically though, you become the imagination, and your feelings will relate to it. If you feel better in that imagination, you'll reside there, you'll need it, you'll pay money for it. This is Christianity and conventional religion in a nutshell. All those images, the Virgin Mary - aren't we always giving each other sh*t over each other's mothers being prostitutes? The Garden of Eden, it's common psychology that people basically just don't like other people because other people reduce their significance. The oldest sibling will resent new siblings being brought into the family for example. Adam was the sole man, and we fell, and that lovely imagination is the Christian God, which all the retards are trying to get back to, and so on, and so on, and so on. It's, at the least, all disgustingly dishonest and to hugely stunt man's growth, if not to also instill him with vicious qualities.

Oh okay. I get it now. You're one of those crazies who bitch for the sake of bitching. I'm going to stop talking to you now.

bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 7:26:14 PM
At 3/21/2014 7:03:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
What is the allure of this thing called Pokemon that would hold an adults attention? I see kids toys with that name on it, but that is the extent of my knowledge of Pokemon.

Pokemon is a game of strategy. Every Pokemon has a different set of stats, and different Pokemon are either one or two of (currently) 18 total types. There are hundreds of different moves that Pokemon can learn, but a Pokemon can only know four at a time. Each pokemon also has what is known as an ability.
Basically there's a huge variety of things you can do to form your strategy in Pokemon, and there are large Wi-Fi Pokemon tournaments held several times a year. I'm almost 18 and I still play it.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 7:34:49 PM

Wait--you just got hooked on pokemon? Was it because of that one mafia game?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics