Jump to topic:

"Noble Nightly Dialogues" Episode III

Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 8:30:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Top'hat'doc and I are currently looking for another guest to accompany us on episode three of "Noble Nightly Dialogues". All you must do to qualify as a candidate for episode three is be a devoted (passionate) Republican and/or conservative. You'll understand why when you see these topics of interest for episode three....

*What does conservatism mean in the 21st century?
*Individual Responsibility
*Conservatives v. the Republican Party
*Public Discourse in America(Forums for discussion, debates, etc.)

Please note that because of the changes being made for this specific episode, the interview will be 40 to 50 mins. Also, there will be three additional topics added on here shortly.

So, if you are interested, please let us know.

(Forgive me for the confusion of the same post in the entertainment category. This has been found to be more appropriate for this topic.)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 8:50:44 PM
At 3/23/2014 8:30:07 PM, Haroush wrote:
Top'hat'doc and I are currently looking for another guest to accompany us on episode three of "Noble Nightly Dialogues". All you must do to qualify as a candidate for episode three is be a devoted (passionate) Republican and/or conservative. You'll understand why when you see these topics of interest for episode three....

I think that you're probably going to get a better perspective on modern, contemporary conservatism from someone who is not a conservative.

Conservatism, as it has been at every point in history, has been either manifested as a defense of the status quo, or an advocacy to restore something that is "lost" but remembered with romantic fondness.

Valuing individual responsibility is not unique to conservatives, Republicans or libertarians, even if they think that they are the only ones.

Right now there is this inauspicious tension that exists within the GOP between Libertarians (Rand Paul types), Establishment (neo-cons) and populists (Tea Baggers). They all think they're "true conservatives" but the establishment are the only ones who have a legitimate claim to defense of the status quo. Libertarians tend to stress founding documents, rebrand the founding fathers as patron saints, celebrate the constitution as nothing less than a religious icon and circle-jerk themselves over Ayn Rand. Their fantasy isn't conservative, it's a resurgence of an ideological battle that we've seen before, but has never been sufficiently translated to any kind of social order. Populists tea baggers (and I call them that, knowing how ironic it is) are less conservatives than reactionaries against Barack Obama's election and his breed of postmodern/pragmatic liberalism.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Are you talking about governmental transparency?

Please note that because of the changes being made for this specific episode, the interview will be 40 to 50 mins. Also, there will be three additional topics added on here shortly.

(Forgive me for the confusion of the same post in the entertainment category. This has been found to be more appropriate for this topic.)
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:16:13 PM
At 3/23/2014 8:56:01 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
This sounds a lot like a conservative circle-jerk.

Sounds like my kind of party!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:16:30 PM

If they have a 'conservative' on, it will be. They ought to have a Marxist talk about conservatism. That would be interesting to watch. I mean, I would suggest having a liberal critique conservatism, but it's not like we have any Lionel Trillings on DDO.
Tsar of DDO
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:17:05 PM

Fair enough, but the last episode did not have a conservative.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:19:25 PM
At 3/23/2014 9:17:05 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

I didn't mean the show in general. I just meant this particular one. Wouldn't it be more ideal to have a conservative, a liberal, and someone else (moderate, libertarian, communist, etc)?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:20:03 PM
At 3/23/2014 9:16:13 PM, Raisor wrote:

Sounds like my kind of party!

Just for you, bay-bay. ;-)
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:27:35 PM
At 3/23/2014 9:19:25 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I didn't mean the show in general. I just meant this particular one. Wouldn't it be more ideal to have a conservative, a liberal, and someone else (moderate, libertarian, communist, etc)?

That is ideal, I won't deny it. But Haroush asked for this; so I indulged him. The show would be two conservatives, and a center-leftist(me).
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:31:00 PM
At 3/23/2014 9:27:35 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

That is ideal, I won't deny it. But Haroush asked for this; so I indulged him. The show would be two conservatives, and a center-leftist(me).

Alright. I just think it would be more productive if everyone didn't share the same/similar views. But then, just because something might be one-sided doesn't mean it isn't valuable, so there's still merit in what you're doing.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 9:37:15 PM
At 3/23/2014 9:31:00 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Alright. I just think it would be more productive if everyone didn't share the same/similar views. But then, just because something might be one-sided doesn't mean it isn't valuable, so there's still merit in what you're doing.

It won't be one sided; I promise lol.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 8:24:47 AM

A passionate conservative doesn't necessarily mean a traditional republican like I. Besides, why would we bring a liberal on to explain what conservatism is? Especially when this particular episode is suppose to explain what conservatism is from a conservatives point of view? By the way, by today's standards a libertarian could be a conservative. This is why I'd prefer a libertarian to be the accompanying guest as tophatdoc and I are two types of conservatives. You have tophatdoc which is middle right conservative. Me. Which I am a far right conservative and now all we need is a conservative Libertarian to complete that picture. As conservatism has a broad meaning just like liberalism, tophatdoc, the guest, and I would be a great way of giving perspectives from all three points of view of conservatism. Just like it would a great idea to have two different types of liberals on to explain what liberalism is coming from a liberals point of view. I just don't see how people equate fairness to this as they should realize that is why you have a host. Furthermore, when you have biased perspectives being expressed by conservatives, it helps liberals in this instance understand where conservatives are coming from. Maybe then there can be a show similar to this one for liberalism. After that, have a show where a conservative and a liberal duke it out.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 11:05:31 AM
Damn. And I was kinda looking forward to trying to get onto this, but I couldn't give two sh*ts about any of that T_T
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 11:08:28 AM

cough *Fox News* cough
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:14:58 PM
At 3/24/2014 11:05:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Damn. And I was kinda looking forward to trying to get onto this, but I couldn't give two sh*ts about any of that T_T

Why is that?
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:18:39 PM
At 3/24/2014 8:24:47 AM, Haroush wrote:

A passionate conservative doesn't necessarily mean a traditional republican like I. Besides, why would we bring a liberal on to explain what conservatism is? Especially when this particular episode is suppose to explain what conservatism is from a conservatives point of view? By the way, by today's standards a libertarian could be a conservative. This is why I'd prefer a libertarian to be the accompanying guest as tophatdoc and I are two types of conservatives. You have tophatdoc which is middle right conservative. Me. Which I am a far right conservative and now all we need is a conservative Libertarian to complete that picture. As conservatism has a broad meaning just like liberalism, tophatdoc, the guest, and I would be a great way of giving perspectives from all three points of view of conservatism. Just like it would a great idea to have two different types of liberals on to explain what liberalism is coming from a liberals point of view. I just don't see how people equate fairness to this as they should realize that is why you have a host. Furthermore, when you have biased perspectives being expressed by conservatives, it helps liberals in this instance understand where conservatives are coming from. Maybe then there can be a show similar to this one for liberalism. After that, have a show where a conservative and a liberal duke it out.

Well center left, center right is the same thing for the most part.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:24:43 PM
At 3/23/2014 8:50:44 PM, YYW wrote:

I think that you're probably going to get a better perspective on modern, contemporary conservatism from someone who is not a conservative.

Conservatism, as it has been at every point in history, has been either manifested as a defense of the status quo, or an advocacy to restore something that is "lost" but remembered with romantic fondness.

Valuing individual responsibility is not unique to conservatives, Republicans or libertarians, even if they think that they are the only ones.

Right now there is this inauspicious tension that exists within the GOP between Libertarians (Rand Paul types), Establishment (neo-cons) and populists (Tea Baggers). They all think they're "true conservatives" but the establishment are the only ones who have a legitimate claim to defense of the status quo. Libertarians tend to stress founding documents, rebrand the founding fathers as patron saints, celebrate the constitution as nothing less than a religious icon and circle-jerk themselves over Ayn Rand. Their fantasy isn't conservative, it's a resurgence of an ideological battle that we've seen before, but has never been sufficiently translated to any kind of social order. Populists tea baggers (and I call them that, knowing how ironic it is) are less conservatives than reactionaries against Barack Obama's election and his breed of postmodern/pragmatic liberalism.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Are you talking about governmental transparency?

If you ever expect a response from me on your comments, don't. At least not on this forum post. Trolls are a nuisance, that's it. Nothing more than that.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:26:25 PM
At 3/24/2014 4:24:43 PM, Haroush wrote:

If you ever expect a response from me on your comments, don't. At least not on this forum post. Trolls are a nuisance, that's it. Nothing more than that.

You think I was trolling you? Wow. You might want to reflect on your ability to assess reality.

Tsar of DDO
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:30:11 PM
People need to learn to have some respect for others with different opinions than theirs. Just because you don't like someone or their beliefs, etc, don't go trying to discredit them in a cowardly way. If you have something to say, say it. Don't be a coward and don't be a troll.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:33:06 PM
At 3/24/2014 4:26:25 PM, YYW wrote:

You think I was trolling you? Wow. You might want to reflect on your ability to assess reality.

No, I don't. Goodbye.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:33:13 PM
At 3/24/2014 4:30:11 PM, Haroush wrote:
People need to learn to have some respect for others with different opinions than theirs. Just because you don't like someone or their beliefs, etc, don't go trying to discredit them in a cowardly way. If you have something to say, say it. Don't be a coward and don't be a troll.

lol
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 4:33:44 PM
At 3/24/2014 4:33:06 PM, Haroush wrote:
At 3/24/2014 4:26:25 PM, YYW wrote:

No, I don't. Goodbye.

lol

Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 8:45:43 PM
At 3/24/2014 4:14:58 PM, Haroush wrote:

Why is that?

Not a super passionate conservative or liberal. Not super passionate about politics in general. >.>
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 11:48:50 PM
At 3/24/2014 8:45:43 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Why is that?

Not a super passionate conservative or liberal. Not super passionate about politics in general. >.>

That's understandable. Politics isn't the most interesting topic to say the least.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 11:59:17 PM
At 3/24/2014 11:48:50 PM, Haroush wrote:

Why is that?

That's understandable. Politics isn't the most interesting topic to say the least.

If you did something more philosophy-based, I'd love to get in on that.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:00:16 AM
At 3/24/2014 11:59:17 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Why is that?

Yeah, that's not likely to happen.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:03:23 AM

Let me know when you're doing totalitarianism.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:06:52 AM
At 3/24/2014 11:59:17 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Why is that?

I'd imagine Tophatdoc will do something like that here sometime soon.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:12:02 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:03:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

No problem.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 1:18:58 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:03:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

lol, I would completely drop what I was doing to watch that.
Tsar of DDO