Jump to topic:

Next political ideology to talk about?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 3:02:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In the politics section, I've got two links which connect to threads about Liberalism and Conservatism. These aren't, of course, the final words on either liberalism or conservatism, nor will any other thread I create perfectly explain them. What I'm striving for here is minimal sufficiency. I also hope that these threads will begin productive discussions of all the ideologies I bring up, and I'm sure that others will be able to point out things I've missed, too.

But for now, a poll to decide what's next:

http://www.debate.org...
Tsar of DDO
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 3:44:45 PM
At 3/27/2014 3:02:26 PM, YYW wrote:
In the politics section, I've got two links which connect to threads about Liberalism and Conservatism. These aren't, of course, the final words on either liberalism or conservatism, nor will any other thread I create perfectly explain them. What I'm striving for here is minimal sufficiency. I also hope that these threads will begin productive discussions of all the ideologies I bring up, and I'm sure that others will be able to point out things I've missed, too.

Your poll is broken for me :(. Anyways, I would love an explanation on putinism
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 3:49:45 PM
At 3/27/2014 3:44:45 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

I'm not sure that Putinism is an ideology, but I can talk about Putin's worldview.
Tsar of DDO
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 3:50:49 PM
At 3/27/2014 3:49:45 PM, YYW wrote:

I'm not sure that Putinism is an ideology, but I can talk about Putin's worldview.

That's pretty much what I meant. With all the talks over his expansions over DDO
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:28:52 PM
It won't let me vote while I on my phone, but I vote for fascism. Since you put a swastika up as the representative symbol rather than the Fasces, this clearly needs to be discussed.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:35:48 PM
At 3/27/2014 7:28:52 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It won't let me vote while I on my phone, but I vote for fascism. Since you put a swastika up as the representative symbol rather than the Fasces, this clearly needs to be discussed.

Sweet. Fascism is something that's always fascinated me, and I'm always interested to learn why it interests others. So, if you want to share why fascism... that would be awesome.

Have you read the other threads? What did you think of them?
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 9:24:45 PM
At 3/27/2014 7:35:48 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/27/2014 7:28:52 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Sweet. Fascism is something that's always fascinated me, and I'm always interested to learn why it interests others. So, if you want to share why fascism... that would be awesome.

Have you read the other threads? What did you think of them?

I'm not really sure of what, when, or where this.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 2:46:15 PM
For the anarchism one, there's a paper I wrote a little while ago for funsies, and I hope you don't mind if I attach it as a kind of footnote to your own analysis. I don't really make too much fuss over the history as much as offer a kind of conceptual gloss, so I think they'll pair well together.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 2:49:57 PM
At 3/28/2014 2:46:15 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
For the anarchism one, there's a paper I wrote a little while ago for funsies, and I hope you don't mind if I attach it as a kind of footnote to your own analysis. I don't really make too much fuss over the history as much as offer a kind of conceptual gloss, so I think they'll pair well together.

Actually, I'd like it if you did -especially for that. Anarchism isn't something I know a whole lot about (at least, relative to other ideologies) and I'm sure DDO would benefit from both perspectives. My hope was to lay the foundation for a forum conversation about the ideologies I laid out sketches for, too.
Tsar of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 2:56:31 PM
At 3/28/2014 2:49:57 PM, YYW wrote:

Actually, I'd like it if you did -especially for that. Anarchism isn't something I know a whole lot about (at least, relative to other ideologies) and I'm sure DDO would benefit from both perspectives. My hope was to lay the foundation for a forum conversation about the ideologies I laid out sketches for, too.

Cool beans. I must say I also appreciate the relatively neutral exposition in each of those threads. It can often be difficult to sketch impartially that about which one feels anything but impartial, and I think you did a good job not letting your own political preferences gnaw away at your work.
blaze8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 2:57:25 PM
Some interesting sources on Fascism's economic policies to help:

Clough, Shepard B. 1932. "THE EVOLUTION OF FASCIST ECONOMIC PRACTICE AND THEORY, 1926-1930." Harvard Business Review Vol. 10 Issue 3.

Haider, Carmen. 1931. "The Italian Corporate State." Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 46, No. 2. : http://www.jstor.org...

Miller, Henry S. 1938. "Techniques of Price Control in Fascist Italy." Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 53, No. 4. : http://www.jstor.org...

Ropke, Wilhelm. 1935. "Fascist Economics." Economica, Vol. 2, No. 5. http://www.jstor.org.... Accessed: 9/30/2013

I don't know if you have access to jstor, but you should be able to get abstracts at least.
"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."-Sterling Archer
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 3:00:07 PM
At 3/28/2014 2:56:31 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 3/28/2014 2:49:57 PM, YYW wrote:

Cool beans. I must say I also appreciate the relatively neutral exposition in each of those threads. It can often be difficult to sketch impartially that about which one feels anything but impartial, and I think you did a good job not letting your own political preferences gnaw away at your work.

I appreciate that, Cody. I'm really quite far to the left but I didn't want to do any ideology any disservice, or appear biased. I mean, it's impossible to cut all bias and there are always thing that get left out too but I'm focusing on putting out really high quality content in the politics forum because we need it and I am grateful for the feedback.
Tsar of DDO
blaze8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 3:03:17 PM
I wrote a paper on Fascism v. Institutional economics in my anti-trust course last semester. If you'd like, I can attach it and the ppt that went along with it, it's got a good chart and I discuss the implications of Hamilton's institutional economics in relation to fascism in the presentation (I thought of that point as I was making the ppt, the paper was already turned in lol).

I mention Fascism because it's currently on top (at the time of this writing).
"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."-Sterling Archer
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 3:03:55 PM
At 3/28/2014 3:03:07 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I've already suggested something called the Up-Wing.

Note: this was one of my earlier debates. Back then I wasn't very good...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 4:16:13 PM

I was wondering why that was an option lol, but I would still be interested in fleshing out Putin's worldview. Seems time-appropriate considering the current activities taking place around our world.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 4:17:36 PM
At 3/28/2014 4:16:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I was wondering why that was an option lol, but I would still be interested in fleshing out Putin's worldview. Seems time-appropriate considering the current activities taking place around our world.

The person who voted for Putinsim was the one who created that option. I don't think Putinism is an ideology, but understanding how Putin sees the world might be something worth exploring.
Tsar of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 4:22:30 PM
At 3/28/2014 4:17:36 PM, YYW wrote:

The person who voted for Putinsim was the one who created that option. I don't think Putinism is an ideology, but understanding how Putin sees the world might be something worth exploring.

Indeed. Although the other two leading options are just as interesting to me. Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the next ideology you decide to do. Best of Luck with it!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 4:31:35 PM
At 3/28/2014 4:22:30 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 3/28/2014 4:17:36 PM, YYW wrote:

Indeed. Although the other two leading options are just as interesting to me. Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the next ideology you decide to do. Best of Luck with it!

Cheers :)
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 6:28:09 PM
At 3/28/2014 5:01:08 PM, kbub wrote:
I'm a fan of anarchy. Maybe I should do a debate on it.

Do it!
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 8:59:17 PM
There are no new ideologies or ideas regarding politics and society. Just the same old ones repackaged and reconstituted. The only idea with respect to govt and society in the last 300 years that has been tried again and succeeded in improving the living standard for people is capitalism.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%