Jump to topic:

DDO's first Live video Tournament

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:24:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Welcome everyone to Debate.org"s first cash craze live video debate tournament! We have a lot of text based tournaments, but it"s time to sink in our teeth and taste a real debate! That"s right; we will be debating face to face via video! What"s even better is that the winner of this debate tournament will be winning actual cash just from debating! How much you ask? The winner will be receiving 300$ dollars cash!

The purpose of this tournament is to revitalize the true nature of debate, to encourage people to demonstrate true skill in on the spot thinking and creation of intelligent argumentation. We have had many live debates on Debate.org, but never have we had a real video tournament. And considering the number of high school debaters that are on this website, I think that is just silly. Let DDO be a place where members can practice debating here before they are thrown out into the harsh world of tournament debates. Let them get encouragement from their friends in the DDO community before they embark in a difficult state or national tournament.
So here it is, DDO"s first Live video debate tournament! Here"s how this is going to work.

RULES:

1. All video debates will be recorded. I have found the best way to do this, will be to use "Google hangouts on air", as it automatically records video, and publishes it to YouTube instantly after finishing broadcasting. The quality of the video and audio from my experience is also really decent. You will need a google+ account to use this (don"t worry it"s free). You may use any other recording software of course outside of my recommendation if it better suits you.

2. Each debater needs a webcam and a mic.

3. After agreeing on a topic and finishing the debate, the instigator will send out a 1 round debate with a voting period of one week to his opponent. The instigator will post the recorded video in the first round, and the contender will just say something short and sweet like "Good luck".

4. Debaters may debate in whatever format they like (IE LD, spar, policy, PF etc.), as long as each debater gets at least 3 speeches or arguments for the debate (Cross ex can count as a speech). Both debaters need to agree on a format prior to the beginning of the debate.

I will try to match debaters up in the first round by those who have the closest availability to record. When you sign up, please say what time zone you are in and what hours you are generally able to record. After round 1, we are just going to have to make it work as we can with each opponent"s schedule. This should be a quick tournament as you won"t have 3 days in between each round. I am hoping voting will be pretty good, as it is easier to watch a video than to read a long argument.
This will be 3 rounds. The first round will be the quarter-finals, round two will be the semi-finals, and round 3 will be the finale and determine who wins the 300$ cash prize. If you sign up for this PLEASE be ready and willing to debate, and sign up only if you know you are going to have enough availability to make this happen. I cannot guarantee that your opponent will have the same schedule as you, so if you are signing up for this I am assuming you are willing to go out of your way to find and agree on a time with each of your opponents.

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:25:32 AM
At 3/29/2014 1:24:03 AM, TUF wrote:
Welcome everyone to Debate.org"s first cash craze live video debate tournament! We have a lot of text based tournaments, but it"s time to sink in our teeth and taste a real debate! That"s right; we will be debating face to face via video! What"s even better is that the winner of this debate tournament will be winning actual cash just from debating! How much you ask? The winner will be receiving 300$ dollars cash!

The purpose of this tournament is to revitalize the true nature of debate, to encourage people to demonstrate true skill in on the spot thinking and creation of intelligent argumentation. We have had many live debates on Debate.org, but never have we had a real video tournament. And considering the number of high school debaters that are on this website, I think that is just silly. Let DDO be a place where members can practice debating here before they are thrown out into the harsh world of tournament debates. Let them get encouragement from their friends in the DDO community before they embark in a difficult state or national tournament.
So here it is, DDO"s first Live video debate tournament! Here"s how this is going to work.

RULES:

1. All video debates will be recorded. I have found the best way to do this, will be to use "Google hangouts on air", as it automatically records video, and publishes it to YouTube instantly after finishing broadcasting. The quality of the video and audio from my experience is also really decent. You will need a google+ account to use this (don"t worry it"s free). You may use any other recording software of course outside of my recommendation if it better suits you.

2. Each debater needs a webcam and a mic.

3. After agreeing on a topic and finishing the debate, the instigator will send out a 1 round debate with a voting period of one week to his opponent. The instigator will post the recorded video in the first round, and the contender will just say something short and sweet like "Good luck".

4. Debaters may debate in whatever format they like (IE LD, spar, policy, PF etc.), as long as each debater gets at least 3 speeches or arguments for the debate (Cross ex can count as a speech). Both debaters need to agree on a format prior to the beginning of the debate.

I will try to match debaters up in the first round by those who have the closest availability to record. When you sign up, please say what time zone you are in and what hours you are generally able to record. After round 1, we are just going to have to make it work as we can with each opponent"s schedule. This should be a quick tournament as you won"t have 3 days in between each round. I am hoping voting will be pretty good, as it is easier to watch a video than to read a long argument.
This will be 3 rounds. The first round will be the quarter-finals, round two will be the semi-finals, and round 3 will be the finale and determine who wins the 300$ cash prize. If you sign up for this PLEASE be ready and willing to debate, and sign up only if you know you are going to have enough availability to make this happen. I cannot guarantee that your opponent will have the same schedule as you, so if you are signing up for this I am assuming you are willing to go out of your way to find and agree on a time with each of your opponents.

Judge
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:27:12 AM
At 3/29/2014 1:25:32 AM, Mikal wrote:

Judge

why not both?
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:28:10 AM
I'll give it some thought.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:30:19 AM
At 3/29/2014 1:27:36 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/29/2014 1:27:12 AM, yay842 wrote:

Judge

why not both?

why not what?

Basically what I just asked you in PM lol
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:44:03 AM
At 3/29/2014 1:30:19 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/29/2014 1:27:36 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/29/2014 1:27:12 AM, yay842 wrote:

Judge

why not both?

why not what?

Basically what I just asked you in PM lol

to busy sadly
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:47:01 AM
I'd be interested to do this over the summer. Is it just me or do other people have finals coming up soon too?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 3:30:56 AM
At 3/29/2014 3:29:00 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 3/29/2014 2:45:37 AM, TUF wrote:
1. Zaradi
2. Larztheloser

Oh and by the way, I am in New Zealand, but I regularly stay up to odd hours of the night anyway. Prefer not early in the morning American time though.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 5:35:57 AM

What's the format? Time restrictions and such?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 5:39:00 AM
At 3/29/2014 5:35:57 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

What's the format? Time restrictions and such?

Check rule 4.

"4. Debaters may debate in whatever format they like (IE LD, spar, policy, PF etc.), as long as each debater gets at least 3 speeches or arguments for the debate (Cross ex can count as a speech). Both debaters need to agree on a format prior to the beginning of the debate."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 6:35:40 AM
Is this serious? $300?

When will this take place?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 6:36:06 AM
At 3/29/2014 1:57:35 AM, Cermank wrote:
I want to sit in on these, if possible.

This was my thought, too.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 7:18:24 AM
At 3/29/2014 6:35:40 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Is this serious? $300?

When will this take place?

Yeah it's serious and it will take place as soon as I get 8 participants
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:04:20 PM
Darn, Tuf, this sounds amazing. If only I had time to spare with final seasons rolling around. =(.

Good luck to everyone who participates!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 1:47:20 PM
Lol if it's just larz and me can we do like a Bo3 or something and just have that be the tournament?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 6:10:03 PM
At 3/29/2014 3:30:56 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 3/29/2014 3:29:00 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 3/29/2014 2:45:37 AM, TUF wrote:
1. Zaradi
2. Larztheloser
3. MassiveDump

My schedule's starting to mellow a little. Just don't be surprised if my availability suddenly disappears.

Also, I want on average three out of four of the topics I debate to be whimsical.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 6:22:06 PM
I'm deaf, but I'll judge (I can read lips well)
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 7:10:07 PM
At 3/29/2014 6:22:06 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Are you serious?
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 7:12:18 PM
At 3/29/2014 7:10:07 PM, TUF wrote:

Are you serious?

Yup.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 7:46:57 PM
I'm tempted, though at this point my illness may be getting in the way, as I have nearly lost my voice. If this clears up before the listing is full, I'll likely join in.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 8:48:42 PM
I'm down, but due to time restraints, I will only be able to do impromptu debates.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 8:59:35 PM
At 3/29/2014 8:57:48 PM, Mikal wrote:

Are your really 0.0?

Yep.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 8:59:51 PM
At 3/29/2014 8:59:35 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 3/29/2014 8:57:48 PM, Mikal wrote:

Are your really 0.0?

Yep.

I never would have even remotely guess that