Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Do you think the whole debate thing works?

Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 3:54:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It don't see how the debate thing works. Maybe I just don't see the purpose of it. My initial thought was debate is to share ideals and opinions. But, people here just treat debate like it's a competition of who's right and who's wrong. Is it supposed to be like that? Unless if someone is debating on real, actual issues then it doesn't work. Because people are just blurting out opinions, not facts. Most of the debates I see are nothing but opinion orientated. They're statements can't be proven.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 3:55:28 PM
At 3/29/2014 3:54:03 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
It don't see how the debate thing works. Maybe I just don't see the purpose of it. My initial thought was debate is to share ideals and opinions. But, people here just treat debate like it's a competition of who's right and who's wrong. Is it supposed to be like that? Unless if someone is debating on real, actual issues then it doesn't work. Because people are just blurting out opinions, not facts. Most of the debates I see are nothing but opinion orientated. They're statements can't be proven.

Ops, I meant to say "their." But, who cares? It's just a small misconception.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:01:56 PM
Not all debates are just the blurting of opinions, and many do include fact heavy arguments. Though you must remember, that something that is full of facts is less likely to be subjective to people supporting different sides. When it is fact filled, it is usually that different sides are caused from a lack of information or facts, rather than a different world view.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:19:57 PM

I would classify debate as different than discussion. Discussion is, to me, to share ideals and opinions. Debate is to present sides against each other in order to determine a "winner"--even possibly going so far as to result in the "loser" changing their position.

That may just be me, though.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:22:01 PM
At 3/29/2014 4:19:57 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I would classify debate as different than discussion. Discussion is, to me, to share ideals and opinions. Debate is to present sides against each other in order to determine a "winner"--even possibly going so far as to result in the "loser" changing their position.

This. If you want to have a nice, little discussion where people are just looking to toss facts around and try to determine some sort of truth and play all friendly and stuff, go to the forums and have a discussion. A debate is a competition, one where competing ideals are pitted against each other to determine a "winner" and a "loser".
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 6:05:29 PM
At 3/29/2014 4:22:01 PM, Zaradi wrote:

This. If you want to have a nice, little discussion where people are just looking to toss facts around and try to determine some sort of truth and play all friendly and stuff, go to the forums and have a discussion. A debate is a competition, one where competing ideals are pitted against each other to determine a "winner" and a "loser".
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 6:05:29 PM
At 3/29/2014 4:22:01 PM, Zaradi wrote: