Jump to topic:

Airmax is awesome

jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:53:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Airmax's decisions are correct because he is an admin. (strike 1: Ad hominems can be positive, too. Using an irrelevant trait of someone to argue that that person is correct is also an ad hominem.) Airmax is a follower of Not Saying-ism, which makes him awesome! (strike 2: ad hominem, mere insult) I accuse Airmax of frequently reverting vote bombing, which is awesome! (strike 3: accusation)

Just kidding! (strike 4: just kidding is not a valid excuse)

(strike 5: cross thread contamination)

Ban me.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:55:01 PM
At 3/30/2014 9:53:12 PM, jh1234l wrote:
Airmax's decisions are correct because he is an admin. (strike 1: Ad hominems can be positive, too. Using an irrelevant trait of someone to argue that that person is correct is also an ad hominem.) Airmax is a follower of Not Saying-ism, which makes him awesome! (strike 2: ad hominem, mere insult) I accuse Airmax of frequently reverting vote bombing, which is awesome! (strike 3: accusation)

Ban me.

No, for some reason he keeps deleting my forums
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:02:31 PM
This isn't even a smart use of sarcasm.

The rule is the bare minimum requirement of engaging in a fruitful discussion. People need to calm down.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:05:48 PM
At 3/30/2014 9:53:12 PM, jh1234l wrote:

Ban me.

Members are generally immune from consequence for insults directed at me as long as it doesn't violate any other site policy (like calling me an ethnic slur of some kind - though I wouldn't personally be offended).

In fact, if members must be uncivil, I'd like them to direct any rage they have specifically at me, so that it's not directed at another member.
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:07:52 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:02:31 PM, Cermank wrote:

The rule is the bare minimum requirement of engaging in a fruitful discussion. People need to calm down.

Forcing people to have intelligent debate....doesn't create intelligent debate...it just creates a quasi discussion that's never as good as if it happened naturally. I'm shocked someone as smart as you doesn't realize this....
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:15:26 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:09:32 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 3/30/2014 9:55:26 PM, Bullish wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

*sniffle*

WOOHOO, IMABENCH IS FINNALLY GONE!!! YOU WONT BE MIISSSEEEEDDDDDDD;.....................................................................by me
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:24:18 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:07:52 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Forcing people to have intelligent debate....doesn't create intelligent debate...it just creates a quasi discussion that's never as good as if it happened naturally. I'm shocked someone as smart as you doesn't realize this....

I don't think the aim of this policy is to have more 'intelligent' discussions, as much it is to have a more conductive environment for fruitful discussions. When one starts using slurs and attacking the opponent, the fruitfulness of the discussion is already lost. It just turns defensive on one side and shifts the goalposts. The rules that are being enforced were already in place prior to the announcement thread. I don't understand why this is garnering so much negative attention.

In a real debate, for example, can you really imagine calling your opponent an idiot? Or in a GD, which is like the closest thing to a forum discussion? Why should these insults be acceptable here, if they are not in the real life?
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:30:05 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:24:18 PM, Cermank wrote:

I don't think the aim of this policy is to have more 'intelligent' discussions, as much it is to have a more conductive environment for fruitful discussions. When one starts using slurs and attacking the opponent, the fruitfulness of the discussion is already lost. It just turns defensive on one side and shifts the goalposts. The rules that are being enforced were already in place prior to the announcement thread. I don't understand why this is garnering so much negative attention.

That's because they were never enforced because, as we see here now, if they were it would result in the moderation/banning of half the forums.

In a real debate, for example, can you really imagine calling your opponent an idiot? Or in a GD, which is like the closest thing to a forum discussion? Why should these insults be acceptable here, if they are not in the real life?

Oh I have before. I did actual high school debate, remember?
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:33:36 PM

I don't think the aim of this policy is to have more 'intelligent' discussions, as much it is to have a more conductive environment for fruitful discussions.

Also, it doesn't matter how pretty the environment looks if no one uses it. That's like having a really expensive, luxurious, sports car that you just keep in your driveway and never drive. It may look really badass and something that looks really sweet to drive around, but it's a fake because you don't ever drive it. It doesn't matter how nice and conducive the forums look, because no intelligent discussion is actually ever going to happen. It'll just be fake.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:33:55 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:05:48 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
In fact, if members must be uncivil, I'd like them to direct any rage they have specifically at me, so that it's not directed at another member.

Airmax, our shield and our protector! lol
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:37:15 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:33:55 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

Airmax, our shield and our protector! lol

haha it would just make things simpler :P
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:37:43 PM

No one's mad at you Airmax. At least I can speak for myself when I say I'm not mad or angry or anything. I'm just....sad and disappointed.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:38:32 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:37:43 PM, Zaradi wrote:

No one's mad at you Airmax. At least I can speak for myself when I say I'm not mad or angry or anything. I'm just....sad and disappointed.

Hey Zaradi, you look like a *censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol*
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:38:55 PM

Should have been sad and disappointed before that DDO didn't do a damn thing to self-correct.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:40:07 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:38:55 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

Should have been sad and disappointed before that DDO didn't do a damn thing to self-correct.

There was nothing to self-correct. Moreover, it shouldn't be trying to self-correct.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:41:37 PM

I understand, and I don't take yours, or anyone elses criticisms of the policy personally. I do understand where a lot of members are coming from, and the issues they have. I will do my best to reply to specifics and clarify what I can in the next couple days. For now, I want the community to engage in discussion on it, and I hope that some concerns can be assuaged.
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:41:46 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:38:32 PM, thett3 wrote:

What!? You [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol]! You're being such a [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol].
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:43:31 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:40:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:38:55 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

There was nothing to self-correct. Moreover, it shouldn't be trying to self-correct.

I beg to differ. Maybe you need to try to argue something controversial; but I've seen a very ugly side of DDO. A side which I can only assume to be it's true face, and it doesn't have much to do with debate.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:43:39 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:41:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:38:32 PM, thett3 wrote:

What!? You [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol]! You're being such a [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol].

Why don't you just take a [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol] and shove up your [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol]. You would like that wouldn't you you [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol]. I'm going to drive up there and beat your [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol]. [censored by the DDO elite under the new protocol]

*thett3's account has been closed*
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:45:06 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:30:05 PM, Zaradi wrote:

That's because they were never enforced because, as we see here now, if they were it would result in the moderation/banning of half the forums.

There were a lot of cases before where I felt a few people were given unnecessary leeway and when we lost a few good members because the environment was unnecessarily ugly. Calling someone an idiot or a f@g didn't really add to anything, and shouldn't really be a behavior that ought to be accepted. About moderating/ banning half the forums, I don't really think DDO's that bad. Perhaps once this furore blows over (a week, max), it'd be normal once again.

Also, it doesn't matter how pretty the environment looks if no one uses it. That's like having a really expensive, luxurious, sports car that you just keep in your driveway and never drive. It may look really badass and something that looks really sweet to drive around, but it's a fake because you don't ever drive it. It doesn't matter how nice and conducive the forums look, because no intelligent discussion is actually ever going to happen. It'll just be fake.

That's why I feel its a shame people are leaving because of this policy. It's not that big of a deal, and ultimately is conductive.

Yeah, I do. Was it acceptable there to call your opponent names? Because the ones I went to- it was insta-dis qualifier. Obviously it'd be different standards- but I thought this one would be kinda universal rule.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:46:48 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:43:31 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
I've seen a very ugly side of DDO.

Were you looking in the mirror? That would explain why you saw something ugly...

Moreover I'm glad to see this new policy is encouraging discourse and discussion over various things. Oh wait, you just ignored the two arguments I made and asserted that you were right...success!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:48:43 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:46:48 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Were you looking in the mirror? That would explain why you saw something ugly...

Moreover I'm glad to see this new policy is encouraging discourse and discussion over various things. Oh wait, you just ignored the two arguments I made and asserted that you were right...success!

Reported.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:48:45 PM

No I was looking at YYW and how this site responded to his behavior.

You made two arguments?

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:51:09 PM
You know what guys, I'm pretty sure Max didn't wanna temp-ban Bench, but if he didn't then he'd be a liar by especially the policy he boldly put out for everyone to view. But now, everyone is too busy complaining and its getting a bit old already. Let Max do his job and stop criticizing already. Its not funny. I really don't wanna see another person/s banned because of something inappropriately said or done on this site. I'm not trying to sound rude or sound like I'm siding here, I'm not happy about Bench's temp-ban as much as the rest of you are, but that doesn't give us a right away to talk down on the moderator just because we don't like the consequences that are put into effect when something isn't followed. Rules are implemented for a reason. There are rules practically everywhere and anywhere. Even on FB there are rules (and FYI I don't have FB, but know this). So please, can we tone it down a bit and try to get past all this and learn from it instead bashing people? Please?

*walks away with head down to hide tears coming*
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:52:25 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:45:06 PM, Cermank wrote:

There were a lot of cases before where I felt a few people were given unnecessary leeway and when we lost a few good members because the environment was unnecessarily ugly.

Oh hey welcome to real life.

Calling someone an idiot or a f@g didn't really add to anything, and shouldn't really be a behavior that ought to be accepted.

You put waaaaaaaaay too much weight on words...

About moderating/ banning half the forums, I don't really think DDO's that bad.

Wait, you literally just said in the underlined where there were lots of cases where you thought DDO was bad. Consistency pls?

Perhaps once this furore blows over (a week, max), it'd be normal once again.

There's never going to be normal. There may be quiet, but there won't ever be "normal". Might also be quiet because all the members who do all the talking get banned. *Shrug*

That's why I feel its a shame people are leaving because of this policy. It's not that big of a deal, and ultimately is conductive.

....you do realize that this doesn't at all respond to what I said, and if anything just repeats what I responded to, right?

Yeah, I do. Was it acceptable there to call your opponent names?

I actually won that debate.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:54:08 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:48:45 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

*facepalm*

You made two arguments?

Yes. Apparently this new policy also hinders your ability to read as well as respond to arguments and create discourse.

(1) There was nothing to self-correct. (2) Moreover, it shouldn't be trying to self-correct.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:56:30 PM
At 3/30/2014 10:54:08 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:48:45 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

*facepalm*

Case in point.

You made two arguments?

Yes. Apparently this new policy also hinders your ability to read as well as respond to arguments and create discourse.

(1) There was nothing to self-correct. (2) Moreover, it shouldn't be trying to self-correct.

You call two assertions two arguments? Zaradi, this is a perfect example of what is wrong with DDO. The general level of logical competence of its members is like the high school grades in the projects.