Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Support for Airmax.

donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:39:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I support airmax in his recent efforts to make things better here. Honestly, it seems to me people think airmax has turned into some type of dictator when that is furthest from the truth. If anything as I have stated before, the only thing being restricted by this new policy is PERSONAL insults. That's it. There is no free speech being hindered here. If people leave simply because of the new policy, that is foolish in my opinion.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:42:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:39:44 PM, Haroush wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I support airmax in his recent efforts to make things better here. Honestly, it seems to me people think airmax has turned into some type of dictator when that is furthest from the truth. If anything as I have stated before, the only thing being restricted by this new policy is PERSONAL insults. That's it. There is no free speech being hindered here. If people leave simply because of the new policy, that is foolish in my opinion.

I agree 100%. After the way the conduct went down hill on the site lately, it was time for Airmax to put away the leniency.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:48:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:48:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Would anyone's jaw drop if I said I support this?

***Jaw drops.***
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:53:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I definitely support Max!!!
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:56:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

I'm not misrepresenting them. I'm calling them as they are... Mad that people can't treat each other like sh!t anymore.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:01:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:56:42 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

I'm not misrepresenting them. I'm calling them as they are... Mad that people can't treat each other like sh!t anymore.

When have I ever treated people like sh!t? I'm not aware of making a habit of it. Several other people who have reservations about the policy are in the same boat. I find it ironic that this post promoting a policy which is aimed at encouraging civilized debate is so thoroughly soaked in vitriol.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:16:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

Well, after all, the new policy is all about personal insults. So tell me why is being able to make personal insults so important?
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:17:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
imabench was banned for calling someone a "f*ggot." People who are rage quitting because he was banned are no better than the people who rally around the popular jock who gets suspended for bullying other kids. It's the *exact same thing.*

If you refuse to stay on a site that won't tolerate personal attacks, rethink the type of person you really want to be.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:18:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:55:34 PM, Kc1999 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:53:55 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I definitely support Max!!!

Same.

^
Nolite Timere
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:18:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:17:43 PM, bluesteel wrote:
imabench was banned for calling someone a "f*ggot." People who are rage quitting because he was banned are no better than the people who rally around the popular jock who gets suspended for bullying other kids. It's the *exact same thing.*

If you refuse to stay on a site that won't tolerate personal attacks, rethink the type of person you really want to be.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:20:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:16:30 PM, Haroush wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

Well, after all, the new policy is all about personal insults. So tell me why is being able to make personal insults so important?

Freedom of speech and expression. I've written post after post in other threads on this topic, and my intent isn't to turn this thread into another debate front. Please read them and respond to them there. I just wanted to point out that this isn't constructive at all.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:23:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:01:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:56:42 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

I'm not misrepresenting them. I'm calling them as they are... Mad that people can't treat each other like sh!t anymore.

When have I ever treated people like sh!t? I'm not aware of making a habit of it.

I didn't say you did anything. Whether you actually treat people badly isn't relevant to whether or not you get mad that you or others can't. I've only seen one person who's complaint wasn't that they can't use personal insults. Hitchslap complaining that part of the rules was vague. While many people have a legitimate concern like that, most people complaining are doing so because the rules ban their right being personal insults.

Several other people who have reservations about the policy are in the same boat. I find it ironic that this post promoting a policy which is aimed at encouraging civilized debate is so thoroughly soaked in vitriol.

Cruel and bitter criticism about someone's opinion and their stance (and in this case, how they are acting about it) is completely different than someone calling you a "f*cking gay a$$ f***ot." (that's an actual quote from someone, the thread it came from was deleted.) The policy says nothing about being bitter towards a position, which is a part of debate.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:34:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:23:31 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:01:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:56:42 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

I'm not misrepresenting them. I'm calling them as they are... Mad that people can't treat each other like sh!t anymore.

When have I ever treated people like sh!t? I'm not aware of making a habit of it.

I didn't say you did anything.

You said that people who disagree with the policy are mad that they can't treat each other like sh!t anymore. I disagree with the policy. In order to be mad over not being able to treat people like sh!t, as you claim I must be, wouldn't I have to be treating them like sh!t to begin with?

Whether you actually treat people badly isn't relevant to whether or not you get mad that you or others can't. I've only seen one person who's complaint wasn't that they can't use personal insults.

Not all personal insults are mindless, tactless, and meritless. Sometimes a person is the topic of conversation.

Hitchslap complaining that part of the rules was vague. While many people have a legitimate concern like that, most people complaining are doing so because the rules ban their right being personal insults.

Many people have both sets of concerns on their mind.

Several other people who have reservations about the policy are in the same boat. I find it ironic that this post promoting a policy which is aimed at encouraging civilized debate is so thoroughly soaked in vitriol.

Cruel and bitter criticism about someone's opinion and their stance (and in this case, how they are acting about it) is completely different than someone calling you a "f*cking gay a$$ f***ot." (that's an actual quote from someone, the thread it came from was deleted.) The policy says nothing about being bitter towards a position, which is a part of debate.

Such conduct was banned before the new policy went into effect. And your post is in places directed towards the people who oppose your views.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Citrakayah
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:45:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:18:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:17:43 PM, bluesteel wrote:
imabench was banned for calling someone a "f*ggot." People who are rage quitting because he was banned are no better than the people who rally around the popular jock who gets suspended for bullying other kids. It's the *exact same thing.*

If you refuse to stay on a site that won't tolerate personal attacks, rethink the type of person you really want to be.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:47:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:34:25 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:23:31 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:01:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:56:42 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:52:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Because misconstruing those who disagrees with you as whiny, nasty people who just want to call each other names and don't support Airmax as a moderator is such a mature and elevated route to take. I'm glad we're taking the site to the next level of civilized discussion.

I'm not misrepresenting them. I'm calling them as they are... Mad that people can't treat each other like sh!t anymore.

When have I ever treated people like sh!t? I'm not aware of making a habit of it.

I didn't say you did anything.

You said that people who disagree with the policy are mad that they can't treat each other like sh!t anymore. I disagree with the policy. In order to be mad over not being able to treat people like sh!t, as you claim I must be, wouldn't I have to be treating them like sh!t to begin with?

No. Not at all. They are usually mad because they can't do it. It never brings up whether or not they did do do. Assume they ban WoW. I don't play it, but I'll still be mad that I can't play it. It'd possible for you to be mad that you can't do it without you actually having done it. Perhaps it wasn't the best choice of words to convey the idea.

Whether you actually treat people badly isn't relevant to whether or not you get mad that you or others can't. I've only seen one person who's complaint wasn't that they can't use personal insults.

Not all personal insults are mindless, tactless, and meritless. Sometimes a person is the topic of conversation.

That's no true at all. All personal insults are unwarranted, hence why all personal insults are fallacious ad hominem. If the conversation is specifically about someone, calling them a f*ggot is still unwarranted. There is a difference between saying "He's wrong about of A and B" which is a proper argument about a person, and "he's a stupid c*nt" which is a personal attack.

Hitchslap complaining that part of the rules was vague. While many people have a legitimate concern like that, most people complaining are doing so because the rules ban their right being personal insults.

Many people have both sets of concerns on their mind.

I acknowledged that many people do, but that most don't. In fact, I'm convinced most are just hoping on the bandwagon.

Several other people who have reservations about the policy are in the same boat. I find it ironic that this post promoting a policy which is aimed at encouraging civilized debate is so thoroughly soaked in vitriol.

Cruel and bitter criticism about someone's opinion and their stance (and in this case, how they are acting about it) is completely different than someone calling you a "f*cking gay a$$ f***ot." (that's an actual quote from someone, the thread it came from was deleted.) The policy says nothing about being bitter towards a position, which is a part of debate.

Such conduct was banned before the new policy went into effect. And your post is in places directed towards the people who oppose your views.

Those insults could get you in trouble if you did them enough, but they were met with leniency. They were hardly illegal, hint why *person who made that quote* is still here. And no, it's directed at their position. I never specifically insulted a person. I attacked the attitude of the site in relation to Airmax, but never called anyone out or treated someone like crap over it. List off a line where I specifically attacked someone.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:49:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:45:13 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:18:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:17:43 PM, bluesteel wrote:
imabench was banned for calling someone a "f*ggot." People who are rage quitting because he was banned are no better than the people who rally around the popular jock who gets suspended for bullying other kids. It's the *exact same thing.*

If you refuse to stay on a site that won't tolerate personal attacks, rethink the type of person you really want to be.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:52:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I agree 9001%

All this QQ over "I can't take cheap shots at my opponents on freaking debate.org"

AKA welikerhetoriclogicandintellect.org

NOT letsslingmudlikechildren.org

I am glad to see that there is support for the increased support for a site driven towards more intelligent conversation.

And I want to be clear that the sites known "conservatives" aren't the only people supporting this. True rhetorical judo requires zero use of ad-hominem. If so called "Trolls" (a mockery of the term, really) want to prove themselves, then they will be able to make people just as mad without a single utterance of the word "Idiot."

I mean, honestly, the cult of Imabench has been slinging around statements like "The new policy is just retarded" or "welcome to the new DDO, SEIG HEIL!" without providing any real legitimate reasoning for their complaints.

I stand behind Airmax and the new policy 100%. Anyone who is leaving the site simply because they can't have enjoyable conversation without insults is either A) not needed on this site in the first place or B) over-reacting.

Intelligent debaters and their kin should abhor the use of inflammatory actions and ad-hominem.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:53:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:17:43 PM, bluesteel wrote:
imabench was banned for calling someone a "f*ggot." People who are rage quitting because he was banned are no better than the people who rally around the popular jock who gets suspended for bullying other kids. It's the *exact same thing.*

If you refuse to stay on a site that won't tolerate personal attacks, rethink the type of person you really want to be.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:53:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:17:43 PM, bluesteel wrote:
imabench was banned for calling someone a "f*ggot." People who are rage quitting because he was banned are no better than the people who rally around the popular jock who gets suspended for bullying other kids. It's the *exact same thing.*

If you refuse to stay on a site that won't tolerate personal attacks, rethink the type of person you really want to be.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:54:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:52:09 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I agree 9001%

All this QQ over "I can't take cheap shots at my opponents on freaking debate.org"

AKA welikerhetoriclogicandintellect.org

NOT letsslingmudlikechildren.org

I am glad to see that there is support for the increased support for a site driven towards more intelligent conversation.

And I want to be clear that the sites known "conservatives" aren't the only people supporting this. True rhetorical judo requires zero use of ad-hominem. If so called "Trolls" (a mockery of the term, really) want to prove themselves, then they will be able to make people just as mad without a single utterance of the word "Idiot."

I mean, honestly, the cult of Imabench has been slinging around statements like "The new policy is just retarded" or "welcome to the new DDO, SEIG HEIL!" without providing any real legitimate reasoning for their complaints.

I stand behind Airmax and the new policy 100%. Anyone who is leaving the site simply because they can't have enjoyable conversation without insults is either A) not needed on this site in the first place or B) over-reacting.

Intelligent debaters and their kin should abhor the use of inflammatory actions and ad-hominem.

We do abhor it. I also abhor murder and violence. Does that mean I should advocate banning any and every device that could conceivably lead to murder and violence?

It's not the end we're concerned about, but the means. I support his goal, not his methodology.
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:58:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:54:39 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:52:09 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I agree 9001%

All this QQ over "I can't take cheap shots at my opponents on freaking debate.org"

AKA welikerhetoriclogicandintellect.org

NOT letsslingmudlikechildren.org

I am glad to see that there is support for the increased support for a site driven towards more intelligent conversation.

And I want to be clear that the sites known "conservatives" aren't the only people supporting this. True rhetorical judo requires zero use of ad-hominem. If so called "Trolls" (a mockery of the term, really) want to prove themselves, then they will be able to make people just as mad without a single utterance of the word "Idiot."

I mean, honestly, the cult of Imabench has been slinging around statements like "The new policy is just retarded" or "welcome to the new DDO, SEIG HEIL!" without providing any real legitimate reasoning for their complaints.

I stand behind Airmax and the new policy 100%. Anyone who is leaving the site simply because they can't have enjoyable conversation without insults is either A) not needed on this site in the first place or B) over-reacting.

Intelligent debaters and their kin should abhor the use of inflammatory actions and ad-hominem.

We do abhor it. I also abhor murder and violence. Does that mean I should advocate banning any and every device that could conceivably lead to murder and violence?

Please explain how any aspect of the site policy does anything but prevent the usage of ad-hominem attacks and inflammatory language.

It's not the end we're concerned about, but the means. I support his goal, not his methodology.

Please explain. It seems to me that the policy is simply just more clearly defining the TOS, and giving it a more robust policy for bans.

I ask, when would someone ever be justified in using the phrase "You are retarded" or "You are a faggot" or "Shut up idiot" in malice?
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:59:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
After seeing all this whining over not getting to treat people like complete sh!t, I figured it was time to hear from the other side.

This site has turned to complete crap. There was little debate in-between everyone throwing around insults and being d!cks to each other. Especially after the DDO revolution. It was time the mods set down some hard rules. The fact that the mods had to make calling someone a f***ot or a f*cktard illegal is sad enough... But it's even sadder that people get mad that they can't do that anymore.

Enforcing rules won't ruin this site... Calling people names instead of debating will. This site isn't for immature name calling, it's for grown ups to discuss the world. If all you want is name calling and hate, go elsewhere. Don't ruin this site because you can't live without making others feel like crap.

Airmax is doing what this site badly needs done. Banning personal attacks and kicking out the filth that spits in the name of professional debate. I fully support Airmax setting some rules. After how the thread in the Misc section about Airmax went, this was well needed to clean the site. The thing about leniency is that it's earned by not pushing the limits. When you don't abuse the mod's leniency, you keep it. When you abuse their leniency, you rightly lose it, and this site as walked over Airmax's kindness and leniency like dogs over a dead squirrel.

It's time personal insults, and anyone who supports them as a proper form of reaction, to get the boot. This policy will return DDO to debating and logical conversation by kicking out the problem... The people who would rather return insuklts than arguments.

If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I agree with your perspective, donald!

I think it's possible that site moderators may want to compromise a bit on the site's policy in the future, after they've examined the results of the of the first few weeks of the policies effect. But the insults and the bullying between members was a bit too much - so clearly something had to be done!

I agree with the new site policies, even though they have clearly made some people very angry . . . some good quality members, too! But a website like this news a list of rules for members to follow, to keep discussion and debate civilized and to promote an environment where people genuinely listen to each other's ideas!

I, like donald, support the new policy!
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:01:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:54:39 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:52:09 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 10:17:30 PM, donald.keller wrote:
If you agree, please feel free to leave your thoughts. We have to remind Airmax that there is a great deal of support for his well deserved reaction to the conduct on this site.

I agree 9001%

All this QQ over "I can't take cheap shots at my opponents on freaking debate.org"

AKA welikerhetoriclogicandintellect.org

NOT letsslingmudlikechildren.org

I am glad to see that there is support for the increased support for a site driven towards more intelligent conversation.

And I want to be clear that the sites known "conservatives" aren't the only people supporting this. True rhetorical judo requires zero use of ad-hominem. If so called "Trolls" (a mockery of the term, really) want to prove themselves, then they will be able to make people just as mad without a single utterance of the word "Idiot."

I mean, honestly, the cult of Imabench has been slinging around statements like "The new policy is just retarded" or "welcome to the new DDO, SEIG HEIL!" without providing any real legitimate reasoning for their complaints.

I stand behind Airmax and the new policy 100%. Anyone who is leaving the site simply because they can't have enjoyable conversation without insults is either A) not needed on this site in the first place or B) over-reacting.

Intelligent debaters and their kin should abhor the use of inflammatory actions and ad-hominem.

We do abhor it. I also abhor murder and violence. Does that mean I should advocate banning any and every device that could conceivably lead to murder and violence?

No... But you should ban the use of those objects as weapons to murder... Likewise, the policy doesn't ban words that could be used in insults, it bans using them to insult. I can still say f*ggot, as I just did, but I can't insult someone with it.

It's not the end we're concerned about, but the means. I support his goal, not his methodology.

All his methodology is is banning the use of words to start a fight, and personally insulting someone. It's not different than banning the use of a knife to attack someone. The knifes legal, the bad usage isn't.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:02:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:59:43 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I, like donald, support the new policy!

It's really not that new, the TOS has had rules against personal attacks since before I even joined this site. The mods are just finally putting their foots down.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)