The New DDO

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 1:40:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
An open letter to the DDO Community.

I can't claim to be a particularly important, well-contributing, or "active" member of DDO but I've watched it - regardless of whether I choose to intervene, be it in the forums or in debates - for about a year now. Even though my low post count and obscure identity might hint otherwise, I'd like to think that I understand DDO and to a certain extent I've gotten to know many of you, even if you haven't gotten to know me.

I was as alarmed about the new policy change as everyone else was, and horrified to see so many members who I respected - Mikal, progressivedem, NightOfTheLivingCats, Sargon, CP and of course Imabench - heading for the exit. I considered adding my voice to the exodus movement - not because I expected it to make a difference, but because I wanted to stand in solidarity with those who I respected. But it was from reading posts by YYW and progressivedem that I realised that this isn't the answer.

I truly hope that all of the names I've mentioned above come back but - even allowing for transatlantic time differences - here in the UK April Fool's Day is nearly over and it is looking increasingly unlikely that this was all a joke. We have to start rebuilding DDO, with or without these characters and this new site policy. And I'm siding with YYW and saying that the way we have to do this is to flood this site with valid, intelligent content and make this site one which is once again encouraging to the serious and toxic to the immature - not the other way round, as some would argue it has become now.

It would be easy for us all to jump on the exiting bandwagon, move over to edeb8, and forget DDO as a site which lost its way. But regardless of what you think of the new moderation policy - and whilst I am against it and see it as flawed in many respects I understand its rationale and its right to existence - is that really enough to abandon a community which so many people have put so much time into? For those of us who are still here, the impetus is on us - nobody else - to bring DDO back to its glory days with intelligent members, intelligent debates and a spirited, functional community.

So my personal contribution to this is that I, for one, am going to commit more time to the community I love so that it might survive this potentially devastating hit. Many of those leaving DDO have said it is heading into the "Dark Ages" - but this needn't be true. To anyone who is reading this who, like me, knows they have something to add but feels safer and less targeted in the sidelines: let's get involved and move DDO onwards for the better. In the next few days I'll be issuing debate challenges, getting more involved in the forums, PM-ing members who I respect - even when it pushes me out of my comfort zone. I encourage all those who want DDO to work to do the same.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
I'm back (ish).
RiskTaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 1:47:45 PM
HOLY F*CK YOU SAID EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY BUT YOU SAID IT BETTER THAN I EVER COULD.

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON FOR POSTS ON THIS SlTE?

WHE EIS THE LOVE BUTTON?

YOU ARE SEXY-MINDED.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 1:59:04 PM
The idea of DDO changing excites me, I get the thought that an age of new members will eventually do this. Let us see that this goes though. A new DDO! A new dominion!
Turn around, go back.
RiskTaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 2:07:11 PM
At 4/1/2014 1:59:04 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
The idea of DDO changing excites me, I get the thought that an age of new members will eventually do this. Let us see that this goes though. A new DDO! A new dominion!

that's a rather kinky attitude to something that disgusts most people. ;)
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 2:13:39 PM
At 4/1/2014 2:07:11 PM, RiskTaker wrote:

I have returned here with a wonderful new demeanour and noticed that not much has happened in my absence (apart from ima) so I'm hoping that something exiting happens, I'm not really bothered if anyone is disgusted, I have been pushing controversy in one form or another on here now for a while.
Turn around, go back.
RiskTaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 2:15:56 PM
At 4/1/2014 2:13:39 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
At 4/1/2014 2:07:11 PM, RiskTaker wrote:

I have returned here with a wonderful new demeanour and noticed that not much has happened in my absence (apart from ima) so I'm hoping that something exiting happens, I'm not really bothered if anyone is disgusted, I have been pushing controversy in one form or another on here now for a while.

I like how this site has drama yet is so sophisticated regardless.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 2:59:36 PM
You know what dragged this site down, children immature kids who lie, get upset, lie, throw hissyfits, start drama and lie. A good example is krazzy, yes I'll say names, the immaturity in that small child has made this site look like a site for fools, then it also shows how he was able to get away with his dramatic 15 year old hissyfit and he pretty much got what he wanted. Thanks to those kind of kids on the internet these days, it ruins once great sites like this. For you parents out there send your kids outside, keep them off the computer and the internet.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 3:07:19 PM
At 4/1/2014 2:59:36 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
You know what dragged this site down, children immature kids who lie, get upset, lie, throw hissyfits, start drama and lie. A good example is krazzy, yes I'll say names, the immaturity in that small child has made this site look like a site for fools, then it also shows how he was able to get away with his dramatic 15 year old hissyfit and he pretty much got what he wanted. Thanks to those kind of kids on the internet these days, it ruins once great sites like this. For you parents out there send your kids outside, keep them off the computer and the internet.

Whilst I empathise with your sentiments, I'm not sure this is the right time or place to name names. Doing this in public leads to flame wars which encourages randomers to join the site to throw fuel on the wrong fire. And the whole aim of what I said is to avoid that sort of thing.
I'm back (ish).
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 3:09:03 PM
At 4/1/2014 3:07:19 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

Whilst I empathise with your sentiments, I'm not sure this is the right time or place to name names. Doing this in public leads to flame wars which encourages randomers to join the site to throw fuel on the wrong fire. And the whole aim of what I said is to avoid that sort of thing.

That's fine, I'm one of the rare people on this site who has no care in what people think of me, so you can try and start a war with me..... It'll only make me amused.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 3:12:29 PM
At 4/1/2014 3:09:03 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

That's fine, I'm one of the rare people on this site who has no care in what people think of me, so you can try and start a war with me..... It'll only make me amused.

Regardless of whether or not you enjoy flame wars (which we all do as we all inherently like arguing) I don't think they're in the best interests of the site. Feel free to disagree though.
I'm back (ish).
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 3:13:36 PM
At 4/1/2014 3:12:29 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
At 4/1/2014 3:09:03 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

Regardless of whether or not you enjoy flame wars (which we all do as we all inherently like arguing) I don't think they're in the best interests of the site. Feel free to disagree though.

Indeed, I do agree with the debate side of this site.

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 3:26:39 PM
At 4/1/2014 1:40:31 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

I can't claim to be a particularly important, well-contributing, or "active" member of DDO but I've watched it - regardless of whether I choose to intervene, be it in the forums or in debates - for about a year now. Even though my low post count and obscure identity might hint otherwise, I'd like to think that I understand DDO and to a certain extent I've gotten to know many of you, even if you haven't gotten to know me.

I was as alarmed about the new policy change as everyone else was, and horrified to see so many members who I respected - Mikal, progressivedem, NightOfTheLivingCats, Sargon, CP and of course Imabench - heading for the exit. I considered adding my voice to the exodus movement - not because I expected it to make a difference, but because I wanted to stand in solidarity with those who I respected. But it was from reading posts by YYW and progressivedem that I realised that this isn't the answer.

I truly hope that all of the names I've mentioned above come back but - even allowing for transatlantic time differences - here in the UK April Fool's Day is nearly over and it is looking increasingly unlikely that this was all a joke. We have to start rebuilding DDO, with or without these characters and this new site policy. And I'm siding with YYW and saying that the way we have to do this is to flood this site with valid, intelligent content and make this site one which is once again encouraging to the serious and toxic to the immature - not the other way round, as some would argue it has become now.

It would be easy for us all to jump on the exiting bandwagon, move over to edeb8, and forget DDO as a site which lost its way. But regardless of what you think of the new moderation policy - and whilst I am against it and see it as flawed in many respects I understand its rationale and its right to existence - is that really enough to abandon a community which so many people have put so much time into? For those of us who are still here, the impetus is on us - nobody else - to bring DDO back to its glory days with intelligent members, intelligent debates and a spirited, functional community.

So my personal contribution to this is that I, for one, am going to commit more time to the community I love so that it might survive this potentially devastating hit. Many of those leaving DDO have said it is heading into the "Dark Ages" - but this needn't be true. To anyone who is reading this who, like me, knows they have something to add but feels safer and less targeted in the sidelines: let's get involved and move DDO onwards for the better. In the next few days I'll be issuing debate challenges, getting more involved in the forums, PM-ing members who I respect - even when it pushes me out of my comfort zone. I encourage all those who want DDO to work to do the same.

Like I said, this place died after the war with the An Caps. It has nothing to do with any of the people you just named here. You obviously are somewhat a newbie here and have no clue what DDO as in its prime. I am the last man standing here and soon I will go too. =)
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:01:31 PM
At 4/1/2014 3:26:39 PM, inferno wrote:

Like I said, this place died after the war with the An Caps. It has nothing to do with any of the people you just named here. You obviously are somewhat a newbie here and have no clue what DDO as in its prime. I am the last man standing here and soon I will go too. =)

I'm not quite sure what to say to this.
I'm back (ish).
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:07:44 PM
The new DDO infurriates me. I have long voiced my disaprovement in many DDO changes. I guess it could just be Conservative in me showing, but I still don't like rules that are this strict.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
RiskTaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:10:59 PM
At 4/1/2014 4:07:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:
The new DDO infurriates me. I have long voiced my disaprovement in many DDO changes. I guess it could just be Conservative in me showing, but I still don't like rules that are this strict.

I'm pretty sure a conservative adores strictness. ;)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:11:38 PM
At 4/1/2014 4:10:59 PM, RiskTaker wrote:

I know, I'm a Conservative. I completely hate this new policy though.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:12:20 PM
At 4/1/2014 4:10:59 PM, RiskTaker wrote:

I know, but it's like taking away guns strictness. It makes me fly off the handle.

TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:12:54 PM

Very eloquent. But it's a fallacy to suggest that there is an unqualified "right" answer against which you can judged others as not the answer. People come here for some reasons, stay for others and leave when the site no longer suits those reasons. That's the answer for them.

It's nice and good you want to use this as an opportunity to make the site better for you, but you didn't need this event to do that. I still think there is reason for caution, however. This "new" policy was implemented unilaterally, without warning or discussion. Criticisms have gone ignored and the president has deliberately sat himself on the fence about it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 4:13:44 PM
At 4/1/2014 4:01:31 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

There really isn't anything to say. The AnCap exodus happened, and it's less of a deal than people make it out to be. I'm sorry that some of them are gone, but we've gotten along just fine without them.

People vastly overestimate the impact their absence will have. They think that leaving is somehow this grand symbolic gesture that will have devastating impact. No one, not even Mikil whose ELO is over 8,000, is indispensable.

In the moment of frustration, a lot of people do things rashly, as well. I can understand that, because I've reacted similarly on more occasions than I'd like to admit. That's a perfectly human response to an invariably human source of conflict.

I'd hope that the people who left realize that the only way to get what they want is to be part of the two fold process: posting really high quality content and completely, unequivocally and unwaveringly ignoring trolls. But, getting on board is a hard thing to do -especially when it means, after this "exodus" of members, that those who return will have to swallow their pride for their own best interest and for that of the forum -with one exception who I hope never comes back.

When I said that I believed that DDO's culture should be a filter for nonsense, I meant it. I not only think it's possible, but I think that's how it should be. Certain kinds of people, like those who delight in repulsing others and those whose sole purpose was to enrage people, have no place in this community. They don't belong here, they never did and they never will -so they must be ignored, until they go away.

The other side of that coin is a challenge to all of us who remain: we have to make this site what we want it to be. We don't have to have the same vision of what ought to come to fruition, but there needs to be an ethic that underscores what we post and how we post it. We need to post the kind of content that will make people want to be here, and contribute meaningfully to that end.

That's all because of the basic reality that while it's one thing to point out a problem, it's something else entirely to come up with a plan to fix the problem and execute.

Brilliant OP, btw. Very well done, and I couldn't have said it better myself.
Tsar of DDO
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:48:59 AM
At 4/1/2014 4:12:54 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Very eloquent. But it's a fallacy to suggest that there is an unqualified "right" answer against which you can judged others as not the answer. People come here for some reasons, stay for others and leave when the site no longer suits those reasons. That's the answer for them.

It's nice and good you want to use this as an opportunity to make the site better for you, but you didn't need this event to do that. I still think there is reason for caution, however. This "new" policy was implemented unilaterally, without warning or discussion. Criticisms have gone ignored and the president has deliberately sat himself on the fence about it.

I didn't mean to assert that there was a single 'right' answer - apologies if that's how it came out. I was trying to support the points made by YYW and progressivedem, but from the point of view of a lesser-known member who knows that they could and should do more to actively promote the ideals with which I have chosen to side.

I'd disagree with your statement that "you didn't need this event to do that". My aim was that other people in my situation would see this post, agree with it, and treat it as a rallying cry. Moreover, by posting it, it gives me a formal record of what I want to help the site achieve.

And on the Airmax note - I'm as perplexed as you are by his actions. As I said, I believe the policy has a right to existence, but its policy and execution are questionable and the way it has been marketed has been unhelpful to it. But, nonetheless, I feel it is helpful to separate the two issues to a certain extent.
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:54:14 AM
At 4/1/2014 4:13:44 PM, YYW wrote:
Brilliant OP, btw. Very well done, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Cheers man. Means a lot.
I'm back (ish).
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 4:52:45 AM
Applaud the effort, but your solution doesn't actually solve the problem. The problem is something users can solve, and the only people who can solve it (Juggle) aren't going to any time soon. We've been trying what you suggested for about a year now. Look at where we're at. Much effective. Very success. Wow.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 10:37:14 AM
At 4/1/2014 4:01:31 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

Do your research and ask around kid. Trust me, you haven't seen the best of this place.