Jump to topic:

Stop bashing airmax

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 5:56:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
FFS every time i read a post about people "leaving" because of airmax it bothers me

Most of the people who are leaving are leaving due to juggle and the direction the site is taking, not this new policy airmax presented. Juggles vision is really blurred as of late

Even though I am semi leaving and I will be way less active than I use to be, I acknowledge airmax as an amazing moderator and great friend. Moderation comes at a price though. It is his responsibility to look after the site and make decisions that will benefit it in the long run. While I have my disagreements with some issues in this new policy, I understand the principle behind the implementation of it. It is a viable model and it should be given a chance. If you really do not posses the ability to conduct yourself in a civil manner, it is time for a self check anyway.

I can speak for myself and I am sure some others that are leaving/have left feel the same as I do in some regards. A lot of this is way more to do with juggle than moderation.

Airmax has always did an amazing job moderating the site and will continue to do so. So stop giving him hell for other peoples decisions.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 5:59:06 PM
At 4/1/2014 5:56:27 PM, Mikal wrote:
FFS every time i read a post about people "leaving" because of airmax it bothers me

Most of the people who are leaving are leaving due to juggle and the direction the site is taking, not this new policy airmax presented. Juggles vision is really blurred as of late

Even though I am semi leaving and I will be way less active than I use to be, I acknowledge airmax as an amazing moderator and great friend. Moderation comes at a price though. It is his responsibility to look after the site and make decisions that will benefit it in the long run. While I have my disagreements with some issues in this new policy, I understand the principle behind the implementation of it. It is a viable model and it should be given a chance. If you really do not posses the ability to conduct yourself in a civil manner, it is time for a self check anyway.

I can speak for myself and I am sure some others that are leaving/have left feel the same as I do in some regards. A lot of this is way more to do with juggle than moderation.

Airmax has always did an amazing job moderating the site and will continue to do so. So stop giving him hell for other peoples decisions.

+1
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 5:59:56 PM

-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:01:05 PM

Airmax took on a lot of responsibility, and so far has failed to uphold it. He can either accept more moderators, and avoid dictator status, or he must face the problems of the site directly.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:07:54 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:01:05 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Airmax took on a lot of responsibility, and so far has failed to uphold it. He can either accept more moderators, and avoid dictator status, or he must face the problems of the site directly.

Can you explicate that a bit more?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:10:15 PM

The status of the site has so little to do with airmax it is not even worth mentioning.

All of his time and energy go into make this site a better place

If you want to front blame, throw it on juggle. They are the ones that are refusing to give us updates and features that would prevent some major issues, like the ones we are going through currently
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:10:18 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:07:54 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

He's the only active moderator on this site, which means he's responsible for 95% of the big decisions that happen on this site, so naturally he will get the blame. Perhaps by adding at least one more moderator, we can finally make some progress. I don't always agree with Air max's judgement. He seems to focus to much on nazifying are free speech then catching the real trolls (scots)
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:13:11 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:10:15 PM, Mikal wrote:

The status of the site has so little to do with airmax it is not even worth mentioning.

If you want to front blame, throw it on juggle. They are the ones that are refusing to give us updates and features that would prevent some major issues, like the ones we are going through currently

While I agree, and even said myself its not Airmax's fault, I stand by my point. This site is simply to big for Airmax alone, and he has made more then one bad call in getting this rolling.

Has he been a good moderator? Probably, but has it been enough?

We honestly need about 1 or 2 more moderators on this site, as a 1 man dictatorship (Didn't have a better word) will always screw up eventually.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:14:50 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:10:18 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

He's the only active moderator on this site, which means he's responsible for 95% of the big decisions that happen on this site,

I'm not sure that's true, though I'm not directly contradicting it. Ore-Ele is a mod, too, and I believe at least one other person has mod power, even if seldom exercised.

So I could trivially agree that he could be called the "head" moderator...I don't think we know enough to know for sure if he makes 95% of decisions...but he certainly makes a lot of 'em.

so naturally he will get the blame. Perhaps by adding at least one more moderator, we can finally make some progress.

In what sense?

I don't always agree with Air max's judgement. He seems to focus to much on nazifying are free speech then catching the real trolls (scots)

"nazifying are [sic] free speech" seems a bit hyperbolic (and Godwin-y), don't you think?

I have to ask: Would you rather he was capricious and made decisions entirely on his own (or, for the sake of argument, his own and other moderator's prerogative), or followed clearly available guidelines?

And if those guidelines are to be clear and available, do you have a better set, that would more clearly encapsulate the sort of thing he'll intervene on?
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:16:10 PM

He's the only active moderator on this site, which means he's responsible for 95% of the big decisions that happen on this site, so naturally he will get the blame.

Um no, he doesn't do the technical updates, which are largely part of the problem.

Perhaps by adding at least one more moderator, we can finally make some progress. I don't always agree with Air max's judgement.

Why does DDO need a third mod? If you don't agree with Airmax's call, then appeal to TUF or Ore_ele.

He seems to focus to much on nazifying are free speech then catching the real trolls (scots)

This is a PRIVATE site. That means Juggle is allowed to dictate what is and is not allowed to be said, within the site. This isn't a public domain, wherein all FoS should be maintained. You're still allowed to express extremely unpopular opinion here, it's just that you're not allowed to make personal attacks, which really don't serve a purpose in constructive dialogue.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:18:43 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:16:10 PM, Zarroette wrote:

He's the only active moderator on this site, which means he's responsible for 95% of the big decisions that happen on this site, so naturally he will get the blame.

Um no, he doesn't do the technical updates, which are largely part of the problem.

Perhaps by adding at least one more moderator, we can finally make some progress. I don't always agree with Air max's judgement.

Why does DDO need a third mod? If you don't agree with Airmax's call, then appeal to TUF or Ore_ele.

He seems to focus to much on nazifying are free speech then catching the real trolls (scots)

This is a PRIVATE site. That means Juggle is allowed to dictate what is and is not allowed to be said, within the site. This isn't a public domain, wherein all FoS should be maintained. You're still allowed to express extremely unpopular opinion here, it's just that you're not allowed to make personal attacks, which really don't serve a purpose in constructive dialogue.

I realize Airmax does not do technical updates. I was talking in relation to other decisions he makes. Such as who not to ban or listen to. What he decides to delete or not to. This site deserves at least ONE more active moderator.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:18:50 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:13:11 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

While I agree, and even said myself its not Airmax's fault, I stand by my point. This site is simply to big for Airmax alone, and he has made more then one bad call in getting this rolling.

We honestly need about 1 or 2 more moderators on this site, as a 1 man dictatorship (Didn't have a better word) will always screw up eventually.

(a) There are two moderators
(b) there is always people looking out for issues, which are reported to him. Basically with reports that are valid we are moderating ourselves. He is the only one capable of infliction punishment other than Ore. that is viable in itself.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:24:00 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:18:43 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

I realize Airmax does not do technical updates. I was talking in relation to other decisions he makes. Such as who not to ban or listen to. What he decides to delete or not to. This site deserves at least ONE more active moderator.

Why? Why does DDO need another mod?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:26:40 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:18:50 PM, Mikal wrote:

(b) there is always people looking out for issues, which are reported to him. Basically with reports that are valid we are moderating ourselves. He is the only one capable of infliction punishment other than Ore. that is viable in itself.

1) Ore_Ele is not a active moderator. I believe a debate was done on this with a landslide victory. He might be there, but not exactly "there"

2) Airmax's problems lack from not always making the right decisions. A problem exists with him taking all the responsibility in handling disputes and what not. We are basically allowing one user to handle 40 complaits a day. At least 1-2 more would please me, which is why I'm lowering my site activity.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:28:19 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:24:00 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Airmax gets however many complaints a day. Personally, he gives to much amnesty to certain people, and many complaints go unresponded. To much harm in instilling one moderator to handle every dispute for one site -_-
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:28:53 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:26:40 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

2) Airmax's problems lack from not always making the right decisions. A problem exists with him taking all the responsibility in handling disputes and what not. We are basically allowing one user to handle 40 complaits a day. At least 1-2 more would please me, which is why I'm lowering my site activity.

Why would 1-2 more be better? Do you really want a wide variety of decisions in lieu of consistency?

I would imagine that, if there were multiple mods who were equally active, they would talk and generally agree. And airmax would probably still be "head mod".
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:30:31 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:28:53 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Why would 1-2 more be better? Do you really want a wide variety of decisions in lieu of consistency?

I would imagine that, if there were multiple mods who were equally active, they would talk and generally agree. And airmax would probably still be "head mod".

I'm sorry, but if you want my responses, then please look at the constant rebuttals being brought up by Mikal and Zarrotte.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:30:57 PM

Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:31:45 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:28:19 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Airmax gets however many complaints a day. Personally, he gives to much amnesty to certain people

Proof?

and many complaints go unresponded.

Proof?

To much harm in instilling one moderator to handle every dispute for one site -_-

Maybe, if you prove that the two proceeding claims are indeed true.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:32:27 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:30:31 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

I'm sorry, but if you want my responses, then please look at the constant rebuttals being brought up by Mikal and Zarrotte.

Huh?

I'm asking about why you want more mods specifically, and what you would prefer to happen re: consistency. Did you address that already? Because it seems like you keep saying it's too much for airmax, you don't like some of his decisions, and you think having more mods would fix that--but I don't see where you say HOW that would fix that.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:34:39 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:31:45 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Airmax gets however many complaints a day. Personally, he gives to much amnesty to certain people

Proof?

Proof?

To much harm in instilling one moderator to handle every dispute for one site -_-

I'm also sorry, but you are not bringing up intelligent refutations. You are simply taking everything I say and asking for me to elaborate or offer proof. Well my proof is based off of common sense, and yes, nearly all my complaints or reports go unresponded, and I hear the same from others.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:41:45 PM
thrid ima revolution: everyone is starting to convert their profile pic to elsa
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:43:07 PM

1) Ore_Ele is not a active moderator. I believe a debate was done on this with a landslide victory. He might be there, but not exactly "there"

(1) Ore is active, he just is not as active as max. There is a fundamental difference in between helping and leading. Ore is more of a support role in the duo

(2) He has always handled it. Just because he catches the blame, does not make him guilty of anything. He literally added nothing that was "new", that entire policy was already in the TOS. The only difference is that he actually decided to enforce it. People are assuming if you call someone an "idiot", you are going to get banned. I think this policy is specifically for situations like flame wars. Just a ban to end them. I highly doubt anyone is going to get banned from making one or two negative remarks. If that remark leads to a flame war and it continues, sure they will probably get banned. Again the issue with the site is nothing to do with this policy or moderation, its the ownership not wiling to negotiate with anyone. They value hits more than member quality, it was a matter of time before people left.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:45:46 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:34:39 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/1/2014 6:31:45 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Proof?

Proof?

I'm also sorry, but you are not bringing up intelligent refutations. You are simply taking everything I say and asking for me to elaborate or offer proof. Well my proof is based off of common sense, and yes, nearly all my complaints or reports go unresponded, and I hear the same from others.

You've essentially argued that:

1) Airmax does an insufficient job, in regards to moderation
2) This is shown through amnesty towards certain people, and failure to respond to all complaints
3) The proof of these two things happening is "common sense"

You have failed to meet your burden of proof, hence your claims go unsubstantiated, and are therefore not worthy of consideration. "Common sense" is not relevant proof, in regards to your objections. Perhaps your complaints are not worthy of attending to, but since you have failed to provide proof, we cannot further investigate your claims.

tl;dr: provide proof or your argument doesn't stand.
Venusara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:46:21 PM
@Jif, unless you are privy to all of the same information that Airmax is, how can you judge him and say that certain people are receiving amnesty?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:48:25 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:43:07 PM, Mikal wrote:

(1) Ore is active, he just is not as active as max. There is a fundamental difference in between helping and leading. Ore is more of a support role in the duo

(2) He has always handled it. Just because he catches the blame, does not make him guilty of anything. He literally added nothing that was "new", that entire policy was already in the TOS. The only difference is that he actually decided to enforce it. People are assuming if you call someone an "idiot", you are going to get banned. I think this policy is specifically for situations like flame wars. Just a ban to end them. I highly doubt anyone is going to get banned from making one or two negative remarks. If that remark leads to a flame war and it continues, sure they will probably get banned. Again the issue with the site is nothing to do with this policy or moderation, its the ownership not wiling to negotiate with anyone. They value hits more than member quality, it was a matter of time before people left.

1) And all I'm saying is that we need 1 or 2 more support roles.

2) Airmax does make a lot of decisions, and many are controversial. I'm in no way saying he is a bad moderator, but that he might not always make the right decisions. Which is exactly why we need more moderators. Like me :D
Venusara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:49:56 PM
And also @Jif, if your complaints and reports are going unanswered why not pm Airmax to ask why? That's what I'd do....
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:51:03 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:49:56 PM, Venusara wrote:
And also @Jif, if your complaints and reports are going unanswered why not pm Airmax to ask why? That's what I'd do....

I pm him all the time, and they still go unanswered, Its getting to the point of ridiculous.
Venusara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 6:54:12 PM
At 4/1/2014 6:51:03 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/1/2014 6:49:56 PM, Venusara wrote:

I pm him all the time, and they still go unanswered, Its getting to the point of ridiculous.

O.o oh really? Then I'm both surprised and sorry to hear that....