Jump to topic:

DDO on the new policy

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:20:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here are some of DDO's thoughts on the new policy in this weeks podcast. Thanks to GCL, daytonanerd, Mikal, Larztheloser, philochristos, SeventhProfessor, RationalMadman, and Theoncoming storm for helping out in this podcast.

Later we had Tylergraham, Josh_b (I think?), MassiveDump, and crypto join us, though the podcast had already ended.

https://www.youtube.com...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:24:55 PM
At 4/2/2014 8:20:45 PM, TUF wrote:
Here are some of DDO's thoughts on the new policy in this weeks podcast. Thanks to GCL, daytonanerd, Mikal, Larztheloser, philochristos, SeventhProfessor, RationalMadman, and Theoncoming storm for helping out in this podcast.

Later we had Tylergraham, Josh_b (I think?), MassiveDump, and crypto join us, though the podcast had already ended.

I miss RM. :'(
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:25:55 PM

I didn't help very much, haha. I was the only straight con I believe, lol.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:26:21 PM
At 4/2/2014 8:24:55 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

Why, he's here? I'll let you figure out who lol
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:27:37 PM
At 4/2/2014 8:26:21 PM, TUF wrote:

-.- y u do dis, Connor?
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
RiskTaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:30:38 PM

Who was he?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:30:45 PM
At 4/2/2014 8:27:37 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

-.- y u do dis, Connor?

*shrugs*
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:31:28 PM
At 4/2/2014 8:30:45 PM, TUF wrote:

-.- y u do dis, Connor?

*shrugs*

Give me a hint.
RiskTaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:34:15 PM
At 4/2/2014 8:31:28 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 8:30:45 PM, TUF wrote:

-.- y u do dis, Connor?

*shrugs*

Give me a hint.

http://oi57.tinypic.com...
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 8:38:42 PM

Really sorry about the complications on my end. I'm actually going to see if I can get my mic to start working and everything and record a short video to put up here to still contribute :P
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:02:08 PM
Nobody on there considered that Airmax will not be the head moderator for all eternity. What happens when there's a moderator who's not as, shall we say, lenient?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:03:58 PM
At 4/2/2014 9:02:08 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Nobody on there considered that Airmax will not be the head moderator for all eternity. What happens when there's a moderator who's not as, shall we say, lenient?

Airmax is the all hailing king of DDO's law enforcement forever....!
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:06:36 PM
At 4/2/2014 9:03:58 PM, TUF wrote:

Airmax is the all hailing king of DDO's law enforcement forever....!

Funny, but not a serious rebuttal to a serious concern.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:10:56 PM

As I kind of said, I don't even believe Airmax has always been as nice as everyone here made him out to be. But I also think this policy changes nothing. Moderator's rules have always been vaguely defined and arbitrary, and this policy merely codifies that further (if that's even possible). The real issue ought to be the moderator's commitment to resolving harassment and like complaints, while respecting genuine criticism and a free marketplace of ideas. If a bad mod appears, it will be the same under this policy as before. I've said for years this site needs checks and balances.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:20:00 PM
At 4/2/2014 9:10:56 PM, larztheloser wrote:

As I kind of said, I don't even believe Airmax has always been as nice as everyone here made him out to be. But I also think this policy changes nothing. Moderator's rules have always been vaguely defined and arbitrary, and this policy merely codifies that further (if that's even possible). The real issue ought to be the moderator's commitment to resolving harassment and like complaints, while respecting genuine criticism and a free marketplace of ideas. If a bad mod appears, it will be the same under this policy as before. I've said for years this site needs checks and balances.

To the bolded, I actually do see airmax as doing that.

As a side note, he is supposed to be an enforcer, not a mediator. In light of that his "niceness" has saved me and many others from being banned, considering he really doesn't have to be "nice" haha.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:40:21 PM

I don't think the old policy sauntered into our bedrooms and monitored every word we say. And if it did, it never should have. I absolutely agree that hate speech and harassment should be punishable offenses. But I disagree with the extent and severity of this policy. If it changes nothing, it was unnecessary.
Josh_b
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:44:49 PM

I was there.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:48:34 PM
At 4/2/2014 9:40:21 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I don't think the old policy sauntered into our bedrooms and monitored every word we say. And if it did, it never should have. I absolutely agree that hate speech and harassment should be punishable offenses. But I disagree with the extent and severity of this policy. If it changes nothing, it was unnecessary.

I think you have a valid point that if this policy were to be enforced to its fullest, DDO will be in danger. As I also said, you don't need a blanket ban if the rules against bullying and harassment were actually working. But I have it on record that moderators will do things even outside of site rules if they think it's good for the site. If you trusted the moderators before this policy, then this change gives no more or less reason to trust them.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 9:51:33 PM
At 4/2/2014 9:48:34 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 4/2/2014 9:40:21 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I think you have a valid point that if this policy were to be enforced to its fullest, DDO will be in danger. As I also said, you don't need a blanket ban if the rules against bullying and harassment were actually working. But I have it on record that moderators will do things even outside of site rules if they think it's good for the site. If you trusted the moderators before this policy, then this change gives no more or less reason to trust them.

I can agree with not needing a blanket ban if the rules were working. And I believe that moderators might act outside the site rules. That's hardly encouraging. I might trust Airmax, but that doesn't mean I trust moderators in general.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 10:48:35 PM

Is there a way to know when the next one is happening? I have Google+ and would enjoy watching these hangouts/podcasts unfold live if possible.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:26:55 PM
At 4/2/2014 10:48:35 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Is there a way to know when the next one is happening? I have Google+ and would enjoy watching these hangouts/podcasts unfold live if possible.

It's hard to plan these as a lot of times people are on different schedules. I started this spur of the moment because a lot of people happened to be online. We can try to coordinate one in the future though
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:36:27 PM

you have google+
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:37:33 PM
At 4/2/2014 11:26:55 PM, TUF wrote:

It's hard to plan these as a lot of times people are on different schedules. I started this spur of the moment because a lot of people happened to be online. We can try to coordinate one in the future though

Understandable. I can't speak for others, but I'd certainly enjoy sitting in and listening. Same for the live debates! Perhaps I'm just generally enthusiastic for the possibility of having more video-based interaction being brought to the site, lol. I believe it would add a whole new dimension that would be welcomed by many!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:39:07 PM
At 4/2/2014 11:36:27 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

you have google+

Yup, I'm not well-versed in using it though. If you PM me I'll give you my last name and we can link up!
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 6:47:43 PM

Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:19:57 PM
At 4/4/2014 8:08:33 PM, Orpheus wrote:
omg who is RM?!

RationalMadman, AKA Ristaker, AKA MentallyDefunctNoob AKA a bunch of other new accounts I already forgot.
Orpheus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:28:12 PM
At 4/4/2014 8:19:57 PM, TUF wrote:
At 4/4/2014 8:08:33 PM, Orpheus wrote:
omg who is RM?!

RationalMadman, AKA Ristaker, AKA MentallyDefunctNoob AKA a bunch of other new accounts I already forgot.

All closed?
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 9:51:31 PM

Did anyone mention me?
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --