Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

I am leving and you shuold too!

jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:17:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
HAPPY BIRFDAY, THE EDB8

The EDB8 stands for the Ex-Debate.org Organization!

Let's all leave and join the EDB8!

Reasons for leaving:

The new policy on insults! Insults and ad hominem are important parts of intelligent debate. "You are a stupid moron" is more helpful and supported by rational arguments and logic, while "your argument is not logically sound" is boring! We want to insult eachother, because if you walk into a formal debate setting, all you will hear is the f word said every 10 seconds.

Causing emotional scarring and scaring away intelligent members through insults is completely a natural part of a healthy online community! Throwing around the f word is helpful in aiding intelligent discorse!

Also, larztheloser is there! Everyone loves larztheloser, right?
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.
0x5f3759df
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:55:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

Jh's post sounded like a satire to me. At least I hope it was.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 12:03:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.

Then say you're leaving because others are leaving. Not because of the policy. I can fully appreciate if people are leaving because they want the social aspect. I just want some honesty about it. It like when you graduate HS and saying you're going to a college for some made up reason rather than just because all your friends are going there.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 12:09:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:17:44 PM, jh1234l wrote:
HAPPY BIRFDAY, THE EDB8

The EDB8 stands for the Ex-Debate.org Organization!

Let's all leave and join the EDB8!

Reasons for leaving:

The new policy on insults! Insults and ad hominem are important parts of intelligent debate. "You are a stupid moron" is more helpful and supported by rational arguments and logic, while "your argument is not logically sound" is boring! We want to insult eachother, because if you walk into a formal debate setting, all you will hear is the f word said every 10 seconds.

Causing emotional scarring and scaring away intelligent members through insults is completely a natural part of a healthy online community! Throwing around the f word is helpful in aiding intelligent discorse!

Also, larztheloser is there! Everyone loves larztheloser, right?
Tsar of DDO
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 12:12:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/3/2014 12:03:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.

Then say you're leaving because others are leaving. Not because of the policy. I can fully appreciate if people are leaving because they want the social aspect. I just want some honesty about it. It like when you graduate HS and saying you're going to a college for some made up reason rather than just because all your friends are going there.

The analogy doesn't follow.
0x5f3759df
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 12:43:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/3/2014 12:12:49 AM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:03:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.

Then say you're leaving because others are leaving. Not because of the policy. I can fully appreciate if people are leaving because they want the social aspect. I just want some honesty about it. It like when you graduate HS and saying you're going to a college for some made up reason rather than just because all your friends are going there.

The analogy doesn't

Even while drunk I think it fits pretty well (though tha may be way).

Saying you are doing something to X when you are really doing it for Y.

The X that you state is for some moral, ethical, or "proper" reason. But the Y that you are really doing it for is a social reason.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 12:54:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/3/2014 12:12:49 AM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:03:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.

Then say you're leaving because others are leaving. Not because of the policy. I can fully appreciate if people are leaving because they want the social aspect. I just want some honesty about it. It like when you graduate HS and saying you're going to a college for some made up reason rather than just because all your friends are going there.

The analogy doesn't follow.

Let's say you're from California and some of your friends went to UC Santa Barbra, others went to Irvine, Davis, etc. and one lucky one got into Berkley. (Berkley, which is, even beyond Stanford and USC, the best college in California.) Suppose you got into Berkley too, but you decided to go to Santa Barbra instead. Why? Because you like Santa Barbra better? No. Because your friends went there!

(If you got into Berkley and didn't go, though, regardless of where your friends went... #judgingyou.)
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 12:56:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/3/2014 12:54:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:12:49 AM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:03:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.

Then say you're leaving because others are leaving. Not because of the policy. I can fully appreciate if people are leaving because they want the social aspect. I just want some honesty about it. It like when you graduate HS and saying you're going to a college for some made up reason rather than just because all your friends are going there.

The analogy doesn't follow.

Let's say you're from California and some of your friends went to UC Santa Barbra, others went to Irvine, Davis, etc. and one lucky one got into Berkley. (Berkley, which is, even beyond Stanford and USC, the best college in California.) Suppose you got into Berkley too, but you decided to go to Santa Barbra instead. Why? Because you like Santa Barbra better? No. Because your friends went there!

(If you got into Berkley and didn't go, though, regardless of where your friends went... #judgingyou.)

Wait, is Berkley that good?! I got in and turned it down. SOB!!!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:01:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/3/2014 12:56:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:54:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:12:49 AM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/3/2014 12:03:43 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:50:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

I agree that the mods are incredibly ambiguous on enforcing the policy, and making a large thread about it sends mixed messages that incite unnecessary responses. The people who would have been banned if the policy was actually enforced, like one would think since it was in a giant thread, became less active on their own accord. People come here for the people, not the site, and when people leave, important people at that, other people are affected, even if they don't mind the policy.

Then say you're leaving because others are leaving. Not because of the policy. I can fully appreciate if people are leaving because they want the social aspect. I just want some honesty about it. It like when you graduate HS and saying you're going to a college for some made up reason rather than just because all your friends are going there.

The analogy doesn't follow.

Let's say you're from California and some of your friends went to UC Santa Barbra, others went to Irvine, Davis, etc. and one lucky one got into Berkley. (Berkley, which is, even beyond Stanford and USC, the best college in California.) Suppose you got into Berkley too, but you decided to go to Santa Barbra instead. Why? Because you like Santa Barbra better? No. Because your friends went there!

(If you got into Berkley and didn't go, though, regardless of where your friends went... #judgingyou.)

Wait, is Berkley that good?! I got in and turned it down. SOB!!!

lol... I just like Berkley.

So, US News ranks Stanford over Berkeley, by a wide margin... but I disagree. That's not to say that US News' methodology isn't sound or that Stanford is a bad school (because it's not). It's just that I care about some things that Berkley does better than Stanford more than US News does, but, in all fairness, US News' rankings are less biased/based on feelings than mine are haha
Tsar of DDO
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 7:36:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:55:27 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

Jh's post sounded like a satire to me. At least I hope it was.

I agree, but I'm just tired of this who rebellion concept in general, satire or not.
Nolite Timere
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 7:54:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:55:27 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/2/2014 11:40:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So far, only one unwanted ban has occurred and it would have happened under th old rules too. Who has been banned, or warned directly because of this policy?

Jh's post sounded like a satire to me. At least I hope it was.

It definitely was...
He does this all the time to make fun of Creationism and some other subjects as well.