Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

A (Potentially) Interesting Announcement...

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 8:49:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
0So, this is something I've been considering for some time now, and I thought I'd unveil t0his after having seen daytonanerd's topic -- especially since there isn't much shame in being the second one to make this announcement.

I noted that I was considering leaving the site, but wanted to see if it were possible to effect change before doing so. It is clear at this point, however, that without any semblance of influence, it's nearly impossible to see to it that the whims of -- the vast majority of -- the community are served. So, to that end...

On this day, April 3rd, 2014, I, progressivedem22, am announcing that I will be running for president of DDO.

Yes, I'll be accepting campaign contributions -- suddenly Citizens United sounds like a good idea (of course I'm kidding, but really...).

I guess this will keep me around at least for the next few months.

I'm not particularly inclined to delineate a laundry list of promises, but here's the chief aspect that I will relentlessly push for: end and reverse the exodus en masse which resulted at least in part from the new policy.

Cheers,

~Paul
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:08:56 AM
Just to confirm, you went from leaving the site in protest, to running for president? Just want to make sure I have that right.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:15:55 AM
At 4/3/2014 9:08:56 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Just to confirm, you went from leaving the site in protest, to running for president? Just want to make sure I have that right.

+1
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:17:33 AM

It wasn't in protest. I didn't say, as some others I'm sure have, "I'm leaving to make a symbol of the danger this policy will cause, so forth and so on." As I noted on several occasions the policy itself, was not the reason that I was leaving, but rather it was the deteriorating state of DDO -- and the fact that many people I've come to know and respect were leaving.

But in reality, I never actually left. Not long after my initial post, I began my "open letter to airmax" topic and began working to try to change the site.

So, no, that isn't quite right at all.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:21:46 AM
At 4/3/2014 9:15:55 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:

+1

The post you quoted was incorrect, so I'm not quite sure why you would blindly +1 it.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:39:18 AM
At 4/3/2014 8:49:26 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

So you guess that this'll keep you around for the next few months? That is the worst campaign ever.

"I'm really kinda outta here, but I guess that a race to become president is enough of a lark for me to stick around for a while... Who knows if I'll be here after that."

That is real presidential material there.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:42:08 AM
At 4/3/2014 9:39:18 AM, Geogeer wrote:

So you guess that this'll keep you around for the next few months? That is the worst campaign ever.

"I'm really kinda outta here, but I guess that a race to become president is enough of a lark for me to stick around for a while... Who knows if I'll be here after that."

I said I wanted to change the site, but don't yet have the capability to do so. So, yes, an unsuccessful race for president would likely lead me to leave the site. But how you can suggest that this admission upfront is emblematic of the "worst campaign ever" is utterly baffling.

The implication appears to be -- largely because many people who agree with me are now inactive -- that critiquing anything or any policy on DDO ought to be forbidden and castigated. Frankly, that's not the way that I think the site ought to function.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:45:24 AM
At 4/3/2014 9:43:14 AM, Defro wrote:
What's wrong with TUF, the current president?

Nothing, I like TUF. But that doesn't mean that I don't think I'd be an effective president. Frankly, if TUF endorsed everything that I've been talking about, I'd drop out and support him.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:56:07 AM

+1

+2
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 10:16:27 AM
At 4/3/2014 9:42:08 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

I said I wanted to change the site, but don't yet have the capability to do so. So, yes, an unsuccessful race for president would likely lead me to leave the site. But how you can suggest that this admission upfront is emblematic of the "worst campaign ever" is utterly baffling.

People vote for people who are committed to something. You are committed to having things the way you want them. The leader of something should be willing to accept that others do not agree with him/her and still stick around. To basically say I'm only interested in remaining if I get my own way is not what people want in a leader. That is the underpinnings of a dictator.

The implication appears to be -- largely because many people who agree with me are now inactive -- that critiquing anything or any policy on DDO ought to be forbidden and castigated. Frankly, that's not the way that I think the site ought to function.

Critique away. I believe that there are many threads that do just that. I haven't seen any ban on discussing relevant topics. I'm not even against you running for president. However the attitude of "vote for my reforms or I'm gone" that you present is not one that will foster endearment.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 10:28:37 AM
At 4/3/2014 10:16:27 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/3/2014 9:42:08 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

People vote for people who are committed to something. You are committed to having things the way you want them. The leader of something should be willing to accept that others do not agree with him/her and still stick around. To basically say I'm only interested in remaining if I get my own way is not what people want in a leader. That is the underpinnings of a dictator.

The point is, and has been for some time, that the site has been nearly unworkable for me -- and there are people who agree with me on that.So the bottom line is, if these things weren't going to change, I'm gone regardless. This is simply a way of stepping up. Of course I'm not going to accept the status quo. That's not being a dictator, but having principles.

Critique away. I believe that there are many threads that do just that. I haven't seen any ban on discussing relevant topics. I'm not even against you running for president. However the attitude of "vote for my reforms or I'm gone" that you present is not one that will foster endearment.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 11:04:46 AM
At 4/3/2014 9:21:46 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

+1

The post you quoted was incorrect, so I'm not quite sure why you would blindly +1 it.

Looks like -1 voter.
Dragon28391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 11:07:42 AM
0So, this is something I've been considering for some time now, and I thought I'd unveil t0his after having seen daytonanerd's topic -- especially since there isn't much shame in being the second one to make this announcement.

I noted that I was considering leaving the site, but wanted to see if it were possible to effect change before doing so. It is clear at this point, however, that without any semblance of influence, it's nearly impossible to see to it that the whims of -- the vast majority of -- the community are served. So, to that end...

On this day, April 3rd, 2014, I, progressivedem22, am announcing that I will be running for president of DDO.

Yes, I'll be accepting campaign contributions -- suddenly Citizens United sounds like a good idea (of course I'm kidding, but really...).

I'm not particularly inclined to delineate a laundry list of promises, but here's the chief aspect that I will relentlessly push for: end and reverse the exodus en masse which resulted at least in part from the new policy.

Cheers,

~Paul

u can't do anything ore trolls u down idiot.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:11:52 PM
At 4/3/2014 11:07:42 AM, Dragon28391 wrote:

Cheers,

~Paul

u can't do anything ore trolls u down idiot.

Say it again in English, please.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:15:31 PM
Why would you want a president who is content or devoted to the current state of the site? I would want someone who would actually promote change, and foster a sense of community if the change can not be achieved.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:29:01 PM
At 4/3/2014 1:15:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
Why would you want a president who is content or devoted to the current state of the site? I would want someone who would actually promote change, and foster a sense of community if the change can not be achieved.

I never said that his platform had to be staid, or even accepting of the current situation. However, if you vote for a president he must show that he is here for the long term to act on everyone's behalf.

Suppose he is elected and then in unable to get the changes he wants. Does he quit and leave us with no president? In reality I believe that we are actually arguing for the same thing.

My contention was that his presentation of his intention to run was poor. Would you vote for a leader of a nation who said he's going to leave the country, but he'll stick around for a couple of months to see if he wins? The people of the nation would tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out. In the same way whomever is running for president should show some form of committal to the site regardless.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:31:07 PM
At 4/3/2014 1:29:01 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I never said that his platform had to be staid, or even accepting of the current situation. However, if you vote for a president he must show that he is here for the long term to act on everyone's behalf.

Suppose he is elected and then in unable to get the changes he wants. Does he quit and leave us with no president? In reality I believe that we are actually arguing for the same thing.

My contention was that his presentation of his intention to run was poor. Would you vote for a leader of a nation who said he's going to leave the country, but he'll stick around for a couple of months to see if he wins? The people of the nation would tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out. In the same way whomever is running for president should show some form of committal to the site regardless.

I guess I see a different perspective. If you are about to leave out of sheer annoyance with the site, and then are willing to stay because of the community. It shows you care about the people you are running for

That should be the prime thing to look for in a president. A genuine love for the community, the ability to stay calm, and someone who can fight for change . Especially on this site. Without advocating change, this situation will never improve.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:44:02 PM
At 4/3/2014 1:29:01 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I think Mikal put it best, but I'll try to expand a bit.

I assure you that there is zero chance that, after being elected (if I'm so fortunate), that I would leave if I'm unable to effect change. That isn't the intent at all, actually. I simply think that, if I'm in a position of some clout, it would be significantly easier for my ideas to be seriously considered.

And, by all means, maybe people disagree with me. Maybe people like the new policy, which I'll admit right now I personally want to see scrapped (and repaired, mind you), but like the general direction I would want the site to proceed in, and find themselves agreeing with my line of thinking. Indeed, some people may hate me and everything I stand for -- that's fine, too. This is my attempt to have something done and to salvage the remnants of this site which, indeed, isn't as simple as waving a magic wand -- Obama taught us that.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 1:45:21 PM
At 4/3/2014 1:31:07 PM, Mikal wrote:
I guess I see a different perspective. If you are about to leave out of sheer annoyance with the site, and then are willing to stay because of the community. It shows you care about the people you are running for

That should be the prime thing to look for in a president. A genuine love for the community, the ability to stay calm, and someone who can fight for change . Especially on this site. Without advocating change, this situation will never improve.

I fully agree. That's why I said that we are essentially arguing the same thing.

I've been part of an organization where everybody was about to quit and shut it down. I stepped in to save it knowing that I had a long uphill battle both within the local organization and with the global body of the organization. That is the type person we need as president, not one of the people who was willing to pull the whole thing down due to the global portion of the organization.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 3:35:16 PM
I wish to run for prez. as well! (just to draw votes from trollers)
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 4:33:28 PM

Cheers,

~Paul

Are you still with the Pirate Party?
Or are you leaving to become its rival?
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 5:32:15 PM
At 4/3/2014 4:33:28 PM, Romanii wrote:

Cheers,

~Paul

Yeah, I'm still with Pirate. I wasn't aware of election intentions though -- someone should let me in on them lol.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 5:33:57 PM
At 4/3/2014 5:32:15 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Cheers,

~Paul

Yeah, I'm still with Pirate. I wasn't aware of election intentions though -- someone should let me in on them lol.

Haha we were planning on getting someone from our party into the elections. Buckethead said it isn't necessarily him, though, so maybe you could be it :D

You should probably announce your intentions on the PM...
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 5:36:05 PM

Cheers,

~Paul

You only make yourself a threat to my ambitions -_-
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 5:40:49 PM
At 4/3/2014 5:33:57 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/3/2014 5:32:15 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Cheers,

~Paul

Haha we were planning on getting someone from our party into the elections. Buckethead said it isn't necessarily him, though, so maybe you could be it :D

You should probably announce your intentions on the PM...

Oh, will do. The PM's been pretty inactive lately, but I'll send a message a bit later.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 4:26:09 PM
In light of accusations that I'm "not a serious candidate," I've decided to lay out my preliminary platform. I have every intention to continue this to the end, and by no means is this a publicity stunt.

If elected president, I will push for the following:

1. Eliminate the new policy and replace it with a flexible point system that punishes persistent vile behavior -- harassment, cheating, plagiarism, threatening, etc. -- but clearly delineates ahead of time that harassment and ad hominem are entirely distinct, and a firm threshold must be met. There will also be penalties in the form of points for moderators who abuse this system, and individuals who overuse the report system.

2. Require that new members complete 5 debates before being granted the right to vote. They also must pass an IP check and a thorough review by a moderator to ensure that their behavior is not destructive, trollish, etc.

3. Institute a panel -- particularly of model, partially of members of the site -- who will be tasked not only with ensuring that no debate ends in a tie, but who will work toward reviewing votes and reporting votebombs, strategic voting, etc.

4. Throw out the current voting criteria in favor of four new categories: well-sourced arguments, rebuttals, composure, and presentation. The first two will be worth four points and three points, respectively, and the latter will each be one point.

5. Require every vote to consist of an rfd at least 2000 characters long -- no longer will "FF" or "I think Pro was more convincing" be deemed acceptable votes.

6. Finally implement 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 team debating.

7. Implement a chat system, both for 1-on-1 interactions and team discussions.

8. Hold weekly google hangouts in the style of FDR's fireside chats, where members are advised to join and share their views on what has transpired over the course of that week and how they believe we can improve the site. Eventually, it may be upgraded to weekly google-hangout debates -- even with teams, perhaps.

9. Hand out prizes every week to the tune of ELO points on criteria such as "Most dedicated member," "Best sportsmanship," "Debater of the week," etc.

10. Have a probation system for polls whereby posting a poll for the purpose of trolling will result in a single strike -- with 3 resulting in a temporary ban, and 5 in a permanent ban -- and posting one on a topic utterly vile as to be defined by the moderators (bestiality, incest, attacking another member, etc.) will result in either a temporary or permanent ban (in the case of temporary, at least 6 strikes will be added).

I'll post more eventually, but here's a start.