DDO Tea Time with Blade-of-Truth

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 2:36:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today I am posting the first episode of DDO Tea Time hosted by Blade-of-Truth. This weekly series will revolve around unique members here on DDO who have set themselves apart from the rest. For the first episode, I had the pleasure of interviewing Emospongebob527. This member has the unique title of "Most Tied Debates" on DDO. Because of this, he has rightfully earned the spot as my first interviewed member and will certainly not be the last. So sit back, relax and without further ado, I present: DDO Tea Time with Blade-of-Truth, featuring special guest - Emospongebob527!

Introduction:

Emospongebob527 (http://www.debate.org...) is currently an active member here on DDO who has stood out from the rest with his most unique debate record. Today I had the chance to sit down with the enigmatic figure that is Emospongebob527 and ask some questions that I believe will provide insight into his personality and background. The purpose of this interview is to provide the audience with a better understanding of their fellow DDO member with a one-of-a-kind debate record.

Interview:

Thank you Emospongebob for sitting down with me and giving me this opportunity, let's start off with some background. What first led you to develop an interest in debate?

ESB: I had a small interest in debate before joining DDO, but DDO is actually a big part of why I'm interested in debate. I was raised by very knowledge-hungry parents who were always looking for ways to teach me and hone my intelligence. They did so successfully which is why I'm so interested in having intelligent discussions with others and debating. I suppose that part of the reason I like to argue is because of nurture, but nature plays a small part as well.

BoT: That's fascinating information, and yet completely understandable how someone with knowledgeable parents, who support learning, would end up having a child who is now actively participating in the Debate culture including interacting on sites like DDO.
Have you had any memorable moments throughout your history of debating?

ESB: My debate history on DDO is actually very dull and boring. When I first joined I never took debating seriously, but now I'm starting to do that. So, maybe, I will make a memorable moment.

BoT: That is a pretty honest reply, and I know that many people respect those who are honest about themselves. It clearly reflects the growth you've experienced while on the site though, especially considering that you are willing to approach debates with more seriousness. It wouldn't be wise to assume that debating is your only passion though, so are there any other passions you enjoy pursuing aside from debate?

ESB: Yes, there are a few actually. I enjoy gaming, exploring the wilderness, and I also play bass guitar.

BoT: Wow, I hope the ladies are watching! A young man with a passion for guitar, exploring the outdoors, and intelligence is certainly a catch these days. Bringing it back to the intelligence aspect, how did you discover DDO?

ESB: I actually don't remember the details all too well. I think that I may have been searching something related to a controversial issue and I came across a topic in the opinions section and that's how I found DDO.

BoT: I wouldn't be surprised if many members of DDO had similar introductions... my first introduction to this site was also because of an internet search over a controversial issue. Speaking of controversial issues, this brings me to the million-dollar question, how does someone manage to have 54 debates end in ties?

ESB: There is actually a funny story behind that. When I was a younger member, I used to accept and create A LOT of debates. There were times when I had 8-10 active debates at a time. Given this, and the fact that I wasn't really a popular member at the time, I had a lot of debates that were never voted on and ended in a tie.

BoT: It seems that many new members tend to fall into similar situations, although I would say your record certainly takes the cake. This makes me wonder though, is there a common trend in those 54 debates which might explain why so many have ended in a tie?

ESB: Yes. Almost all of them were during a time where I had a lot of active debates going and I was an unpopular member, so they never got voted on.

BoT: How unfortunate! Luckily, new members can take action to avoid such situations now-a-days. All you've got to do is copy-and-paste your debate into the main forums sticky titled, "Post unvoted debates here." With such features, I would bet that your record will remain unchallenged for a long time! This brings me to my next question though, what is your favorite aspect of DDO aside from the debating?

ESB: Definitely the forums. I don't post a lot, hence the fact that I have only about 700 posts, but I do enjoy going through the threads and observing the interactions of other members.

BoT: I would have to agree with you friend, the forums are a wonderful place full of a variety of subjects to discuss with like-minded individuals! And yes, being a member for roughly a year now, 700 posts does seem a little light. I would argue that what matters though is quality - not quantity, and clearly you are someone who understands that. Speaking of quality in the forums, do you hold hope for the future of DDO?

ESB: I still have a smidgen of hope. If I didn't, then I would have already left by now. The reason I have hope is because of how devoted some senior members are to DDO and I know that they won't allow DDO to deteriorate too much.

BoT: I couldn't agree more! Along with the core senior members who we can all count on to keep things moving forward, we've got some amazing new talent coming around. As they say: 'when one door closes, another opens'. It's always nice to see that members remain hopeful even when faced with turmoil at times. With 228 completed debates, would you have any advice for those who are just getting started with debates and debating in general?

ESB: Well, the quality of my 228 completed debates isn't exactly impressive. But, if I could give one word of advice to these people, I would say to make sure you use reliable and familiar sources in your debate, always stay one step ahead of your adversary, and have fun, but not too much fun.

BoT: Whew, again with that honesty. I can tell that you are someone who will always call it as they see it - a commendable trait if I may say so! I appreciate the wise words and am confident that a few new members will apply this advice to their own debate experience. I want to thank you for your time here today on DDO Tea Time. May your record remain at the top of the charts my friend!

Conclusion:

I would like to thank Emospongebob527 for participating in the first episode of DDO Tea Time with Blade-of-Truth. With such a unique record and memorable history, it is members like himself who truly make this place what it is today. If anyone would like to nominate a unique or fascinating member for episode 2 I would be more than pleased to continue the show on a weekly basis. I would like to extend my thanks to the DDO community, without you this would never have been possible, and look forward to continuing to bring the history and personalities of unique members here at DDO to the stage.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! - Blade-of-Truth
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 2:53:12 PM
Cool idea Blade-of-Truth
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 3:12:25 PM
At 4/4/2014 2:36:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Today I am posting the first episode of DDO Tea Time hosted by Blade-of-Truth. This weekly series will revolve around unique members here on DDO who have set themselves apart from the rest. For the first episode, I had the pleasure of interviewing Emospongebob527. This member has the unique title of "Most Tied Debates" on DDO. Because of this, he has rightfully earned the spot as my first interviewed member and will certainly not be the last. So sit back, relax and without further ado, I present: DDO Tea Time with Blade-of-Truth, featuring special guest - Emospongebob527!

Introduction:

Emospongebob527 (http://www.debate.org...) is currently an active member here on DDO who has stood out from the rest with his most unique debate record. Today I had the chance to sit down with the enigmatic figure that is Emospongebob527 and ask some questions that I believe will provide insight into his personality and background. The purpose of this interview is to provide the audience with a better understanding of their fellow DDO member with a one-of-a-kind debate record.

Interview:

Thank you Emospongebob for sitting down with me and giving me this opportunity, let's start off with some background. What first led you to develop an interest in debate?

ESB: I had a small interest in debate before joining DDO, but DDO is actually a big part of why I'm interested in debate. I was raised by very knowledge-hungry parents who were always looking for ways to teach me and hone my intelligence. They did so successfully which is why I'm so interested in having intelligent discussions with others and debating. I suppose that part of the reason I like to argue is because of nurture, but nature plays a small part as well.

BoT: That's fascinating information, and yet completely understandable how someone with knowledgeable parents, who support learning, would end up having a child who is now actively participating in the Debate culture including interacting on sites like DDO.

ESB: My debate history on DDO is actually very dull and boring. When I first joined I never took debating seriously, but now I'm starting to do that. So, maybe, I will make a memorable moment.

BoT: That is a pretty honest reply, and I know that many people respect those who are honest about themselves. It clearly reflects the growth you've experienced while on the site though, especially considering that you are willing to approach debates with more seriousness. It wouldn't be wise to assume that debating is your only passion though, so are there any other passions you enjoy pursuing aside from debate?

ESB: Yes, there are a few actually. I enjoy gaming, exploring the wilderness, and I also play bass guitar.

BoT: Wow, I hope the ladies are watching! A young man with a passion for guitar, exploring the outdoors, and intelligence is certainly a catch these days. Bringing it back to the intelligence aspect, how did you discover DDO?

ESB: I actually don't remember the details all too well. I think that I may have been searching something related to a controversial issue and I came across a topic in the opinions section and that's how I found DDO.

BoT: I wouldn't be surprised if many members of DDO had similar introductions... my first introduction to this site was also because of an internet search over a controversial issue. Speaking of controversial issues, this brings me to the million-dollar question, how does someone manage to have 54 debates end in ties?

ESB: There is actually a funny story behind that. When I was a younger member, I used to accept and create A LOT of debates. There were times when I had 8-10 active debates at a time. Given this, and the fact that I wasn't really a popular member at the time, I had a lot of debates that were never voted on and ended in a tie.

BoT: It seems that many new members tend to fall into similar situations, although I would say your record certainly takes the cake. This makes me wonder though, is there a common trend in those 54 debates which might explain why so many have ended in a tie?

ESB: Yes. Almost all of them were during a time where I had a lot of active debates going and I was an unpopular member, so they never got voted on.

BoT: How unfortunate! Luckily, new members can take action to avoid such situations now-a-days. All you've got to do is copy-and-paste your debate into the main forums sticky titled, "Post unvoted debates here." With such features, I would bet that your record will remain unchallenged for a long time! This brings me to my next question though, what is your favorite aspect of DDO aside from the debating?

ESB: Definitely the forums. I don't post a lot, hence the fact that I have only about 700 posts, but I do enjoy going through the threads and observing the interactions of other members.

BoT: I would have to agree with you friend, the forums are a wonderful place full of a variety of subjects to discuss with like-minded individuals! And yes, being a member for roughly a year now, 700 posts does seem a little light. I would argue that what matters though is quality - not quantity, and clearly you are someone who understands that. Speaking of quality in the forums, do you hold hope for the future of DDO?

ESB: I still have a smidgen of hope. If I didn't, then I would have already left by now. The reason I have hope is because of how devoted some senior members are to DDO and I know that they won't allow DDO to deteriorate too much.

BoT: I couldn't agree more! Along with the core senior members who we can all count on to keep things moving forward, we've got some amazing new talent coming around. As they say: 'when one door closes, another opens'. It's always nice to see that members remain hopeful even when faced with turmoil at times. With 228 completed debates, would you have any advice for those who are just getting started with debates and debating in general?

ESB: Well, the quality of my 228 completed debates isn't exactly impressive. But, if I could give one word of advice to these people, I would say to make sure you use reliable and familiar sources in your debate, always stay one step ahead of your adversary, and have fun, but not too much fun.

BoT: Whew, again with that honesty. I can tell that you are someone who will always call it as they see it - a commendable trait if I may say so! I appreciate the wise words and am confident that a few new members will apply this advice to their own debate experience. I want to thank you for your time here today on DDO Tea Time. May your record remain at the top of the charts my friend!

Conclusion:

I would like to thank Emospongebob527 for participating in the first episode of DDO Tea Time with Blade-of-Truth. With such a unique record and memorable history, it is members like himself who truly make this place what it is today. If anyone would like to nominate a unique or fascinating member for episode 2 I would be more than pleased to continue the show on a weekly basis. I would like to extend my thanks to the DDO community, without you this would never have been possible, and look forward to continuing to bring the history and personalities of unique members here at DDO to the stage.

I'd like to do an interview. After Jifpop's turn, that is.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:02:03 PM
At 4/4/2014 3:12:25 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 4/4/2014 2:36:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Introduction:

Interview:

Conclusion:

I'd like to do an interview. After Jifpop's turn, that is.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll be compiling a list of potential special guests over the next few days.
Josh_b
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:02:51 PM
great interview. Did you see Jifpop's interview? Interviewing other members is always cool.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:05:22 PM
At 4/4/2014 4:03:30 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 4/4/2014 2:53:12 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Cool idea Blade-of-Truth

Thanks you guys :) I think this show has some great potential and will continue to be a fun experience for everyone involved.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:08:08 PM
At 4/4/2014 5:02:51 PM, Josh_b wrote:
great interview. Did you see Jifpop's interview? Interviewing other members is always cool.

Thank you! I did catch that, and was partially motivated by that among other similar things like the Philochristos show. I believe it's always good letting the members have a glimpse into the personalities and histories of their fellow DDO brethren.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 6:22:10 PM
I'm down to be interviewed.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 9:07:28 PM
At 4/4/2014 6:22:10 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Okay cool, I'll add your name to the list of special guests! When your time comes, I'll hit you up in a PM :)
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 9:17:57 PM
At 4/4/2014 9:07:28 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/4/2014 6:22:10 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Okay cool, I'll add your name to the list of special guests! When your time comes, I'll hit you up in a PM :)

Yeah, here are the interviews that Josh B was talking about. I screwed up and put them in the entertainment section. It would be cool if you bumped it.

http://www.debate.org...
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:17:14 PM
Great idea Blade of Truth! If you want to interview me, you can. This interview was quite interesting in itself. Especially, considering why you interviewed ESB. I must say having many tied debates is just as good as just as many won debates in my opinion.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:05:11 PM
At 4/4/2014 10:17:14 PM, Haroush wrote:
Great idea Blade of Truth! If you want to interview me, you can. This interview was quite interesting in itself. Especially, considering why you interviewed ESB. I must say having many tied debates is just as good as just as many won debates in my opinion.

Thank you, I appreciate that! I'll add your name to the list of special guests and let you know via PM when your interview will be coming up :)
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:30:26 PM
At 4/5/2014 12:05:11 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thank you, I appreciate that! I'll add your name to the list of special guests and let you know via PM when your interview will be coming up :)

You should interview yourself! You're pretty awesome!
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:43:12 PM
I would also love to do an interview, but I supposed I'm not well-known/notable enough.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:12:26 PM
At 4/5/2014 12:30:26 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 4/5/2014 12:05:11 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

You should interview yourself! You're pretty awesome!

Haha :)) I just realized that if I end up interviewing you at some point, I'll have to think of a new abbreviation for your name since ESB was already used! Thank you for the compliment though, I'll be counting on my equally awesome special guests to help me make this show the best it can be!
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:17:35 PM
Haha :)) I just realized that if I end up interviewing you at some point, I'll have to think of a new abbreviation for your name since ESB was already used! Thank you for the compliment though, I'll be counting on my equally awesome special guests to help me make this show the best it can be!

I didn't even realize that until you said it. Anyways, you can call me Annie or E or ESoc if you do but that's okay. I know you have a long line of people waiting.

Good luck! And have fun!
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:44:36 PM
I can't begin to thank all of you for enjoying DDO Tea Time. I believe this is the beginning of something great here on DDO, and with the support of the community - we'll all play a role in creating a beneficial opportunity to let other members gain insight into some of the most well known and unique users here at DDO.

This is a list of who has signed up as willing participants for special guest spots on DDO Tea Time:

1) Jifpop09
2) ESocialBookworm
3) bubbatheclown
4) MentallyDefunctNoob
5) ClassicRobert
6) Haroush
7) CJKAllstar
8) Cermank
9) Thett3
9) Ore_Ele

I can't begin to express how happy I am that so many members are willing to participate and be a part of this! I am honored that some of the more senior members are showing an interest in this as well. I will keep the list open for more additions as long as the show is on the air and will contact the special guests for each episode via PM :)
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:58:12 PM
At 4/5/2014 1:47:21 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
Only 22 posts? Maybe you should do this by video?

I actually have the capability considering I have a webcam & Skype as well as Google Hangouts, but I don't have the know-how of video editing. Plus, I really don't mind using text as the medium for delivering the show.

*Eventually though, I do plan on starting a video-based series. But for now, I am content with my philosophy series on 'Self and Consciousness' as well as this.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 2:05:41 PM
At 4/5/2014 1:58:12 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I actually have the capability considering I have a webcam & Skype as well as Google Hangouts, but I don't have the know-how of video editing. Plus, I really don't mind using text as the medium for delivering the show.

*Eventually though, I do plan on starting a video-based series. But for now, I am content with my philosophy series on 'Self and Consciousness' as well as this.

Sweet, look for me if you ever do.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 2:09:55 PM
At 4/5/2014 2:05:41 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Will do. Also, if you are dead serious about running for President, then I would suggest putting you off as a special guest until the presidential elections are closer. That way, the voters would have a chance to get to know you via the interview when it's closer to a time that would truly matter. Would you agree?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 2:11:02 PM
At 4/5/2014 2:09:55 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Will do. Also, if you are dead serious about running for President, then I would suggest putting you off as a special guest until the presidential elections are closer. That way, the voters would have a chance to get to know you via the interview when it's closer to a time that would truly matter. Would you agree?

No, its alright
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 2:15:15 PM
At 4/5/2014 2:11:02 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

No, its alright

Alright cool, I'll PM you when the time comes!
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 2:16:00 PM
At 4/5/2014 2:15:15 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/5/2014 2:11:02 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

No, its alright

Alright cool, I'll PM you when the time comes!

No, I meant I don't feel like waiting :(