Jump to topic:

My Presidential Campaign

WilliamsP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:33:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have decided to run for DDO President. If I were President, I would ensure that this site remains what it is meant to be: a debate site. I will not tolerate trolling and immature behavior.
WilliamsP - Multilingual Liberal Atheist
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:43:26 PM
At 4/4/2014 8:33:41 PM, WilliamsP wrote:
I have decided to run for DDO President. If I were President, I would ensure that this site remains what it is meant to be: a debate site. I will not tolerate trolling and immature behavior.

So basically you're a strict Type One User who won't tolerate Type Two Users on this Site.
http://www.debate.org...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:44:09 PM
(sorry, couldn't resist)
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:45:06 PM
At 4/4/2014 8:33:41 PM, WilliamsP wrote:

You need more of a platform, I think TUF had a platform that covered several pages on a Google Doc last time. You really don't stand a chance right now.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
WilliamsP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:46:02 PM
DDO is meant to be enjoyable, but only to a certain extent. The community should remain troll-free, but some fun is acceptable. Overall, it should be serious and mature.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:49:16 PM
At 4/4/2014 8:46:02 PM, WilliamsP wrote:
DDO is meant to be enjoyable, but only to a certain extent. The community should remain troll-free, but some fun is acceptable. Overall, it should be serious and mature.

My platform (before I dropped out) included making a kind of separation between the Site hangouts of Type One activity and Type Two Activity.
For instance, there was going to be two polls instead of one; one for discussing serious matters and the other for discussing random stuff.
There should be something that divides the two "worlds" (so to speak) on this Site without having to ban half of the users.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 8:50:25 PM
"I am currently 14 years old, yes, but my intelligence is well beyond that of the average human. I act many years older than I actually am. I am very mature and very professional."

lol
WilliamsP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 9:46:31 PM
I have changed my mind and I will run as Vice President instead. My partner is Jifpop09.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 9:48:23 PM
At 4/4/2014 8:50:25 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
"I am currently 14 years old, yes, but my intelligence is well beyond that of the average human. I act many years older than I actually am. I am very mature and very professional."

lol

"I am currently working on two novels. Once I am done with those two, I have at least 14 other book ideas I will put into action. "
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:08:37 PM
Running for DDO President sounds like fun, but by the time the election is over and the new President serves his term, I'm going to in the thick of the beginning of my career.

Therefore I'm announcing that I will not be running for DDO President! :P

However, I do plan to vote for the best candidate I feel is right for the job!

Count me on voting on Election Day (or week).
WilliamsP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:26:53 AM
My Platform

- Instituting more moderators so that the site can remain safe and enjoyable

- A new vision for debate.org: an enjoyable site completely without trolling and immaturity

- Increasing reporting/blocking powers

- Improve relations between users

- Removing accounts that have not been used for over a month

- Removing biased votes immediately so that debates are fair

- [I will come up with more later]
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:44:58 AM
At 4/5/2014 9:26:53 AM, WilliamsP wrote:
My Platform

- A new vision for debate.org: an enjoyable site completely without trolling and immaturity

I agree with most of your platform, William.

I personally wouldn't discard of any accounts that haven't been used for a month, simply because some people do get distracted with other pertinent events in life. I would maybe discard of account that haven't been used for 2 years.

Also, I'm not quite sure how biased voting can be removed, though I think vote bombing can always be eliminated if it appears to be warranted.
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 10:47:05 AM

I would agree with this, but reading below you hope to give them more power, which now you are just creating an oligarchical system of power. Mixed with your other rules, it is completely unjust considering this is a people-led website.

Unless you want to be completely totalitarian, this is going to be hard to enforce. The idea of this website is a medium for people to debate, post an opinion, talk about or create a poll about what they want. Not just over clich" topics on a political forum, but a medium of debating for the people. So you cannot control trolling unless you mean setting so many rules that freedom is ruined and you've turned it into just another clich" forum. After all, Airmax's new policy, many aren't very fond of, so any more restrictions will be very unpopular. Allow us to debate on what we want. Yes there will be trolls, but there are trolls in real life. Search the Monster Raving Loony Party. Yes there will be weird people, but we can simply annoy them. At the end of the day, trolls are reliant upon non-trolls, so just leave those who are sensible to do their thing.

Again, giving mods more power on a forum supposed to be people-led. If you mix this with the above, then you are ruining the freedom this website brings for the sake of imposing rules and regulation, which the people won't like. So in the end you are just ruining the enjoyment of the majority. Those who after months or years of debating, just want to have fun. Allow us to run this website as a community, giving it the edge that other websites don't have. People are idiots, but as I explain below, welcome to the real world.

On a people-led website, you cannot do this. It is just plain wrong to force relations to be improved. If you are going into debated, expect to be bombarded for your opinions. If you can't take the heat, then it is the problem of the user. If someone is going to debate with ignorance, then that person should expect to be called idiotic. I regularly debate for Laissez-Faire Capitalism and would take being called greedy because I am sure of my beliefs and would debate them. If someone does strongly believe in his religion, then he should expect to be bombarded. Someone who is extremely nationalist should not be shocked if called a racist, because in the real world, this happens. In the real world your views and you will be challenged, and a good debater will be able to handle this. Forcing amity only restricts people from being frank and straight to the point when debating, and does not allow people to fortify the strength of their views. Forcing amity is going to shock a young debater like me who would be used to that, go into the world and be blasted. This is a people-led website, let the people choose who to be friendly with and who to be not with, give people the choice to choose their actions. Regulate threats or bullying, or allow people themselves to report any offence, but light ad-hominem happens all the time, let us breed strong debaters, and filter out those who do debate idiotically ourselves.

People have lives outside of this website. A month is way too much and ignores those on holiday, ill or just extremely busy. At least a year or 6 months minimum.

- Removing biased and unjust votes immediately so that debates are fair

Ha, the impracticality is amazing with this one. Anyone could fake a good voting comment so to not look like they are really biased about what they're voting. And again, this removes the aspect of real life. Real life, you are going to have bias. There are going to be people unjustly voting against you, or siding against you. I'm 14, and one of only a few skilled debaters in my year, so when I am debating with the class, I always lose because people love to see someone who knows what they're talking about lose. It always happens, but it really shouldn't be a problem. An amazing argument will bring votes. Good social abilities will also bring votes and choosing the right motion, or the right opposition will also be able to combat this. On a people led website, do not control how people vote, because it is dictatorial. We can control this ourselves, so leave it to the people.

I will definitely not support you, WilliamsP. You have this fanciful, serene and ideal debating website where we are all peaceful, serious and led by a group of representatives. Forgetting that A, this is the internet, and B, this is the real world. Abuse, trolls, idiots, the inactive, the unfair and the annoying exist, and will always exist, that is inevitable. In debating in real life you will be slandered, framed, tricked and played with. Look at politics today. So I'd rather create a people-led website where people can do what they want with minimal regulation, than your dictatorial regime, so in the end we raise debaters who have fought idiots, fought past being unjustly treated, fought through ad-hominem, fought through trials and managed to survive by adapting and rising up the ranks. So by the time they've finished, they end up with strong views, they know the tricks of the trade of dealing with idiots, trolls and abusers, and are still good debaters, rather than your ideal of good, serious debaters, and that's it. I'd rather have 100 strong and good debaters and 50 trolls, than 500 debaters and 10 trolls. Let's keep this people-led, democracy-led and freedom-led.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 11:52:38 AM
At 4/5/2014 11:35:15 AM, WilliamsP wrote:
I will modify my platform.

But why? Surely if your platform was good enough, there would not need to be change, so matter what people say about it? This is why I am a fan of Margaret Thatcher, because even if this happened, she would have stuck with what was said and stick by it, and then do it with full, thought-through faith that it would work. And yes it failed with poll tax and with (already weak) manufacturing, but she brought spending down, brought inflation down, made Britain richer, kept us the Falklands, weakened overly powerful unions and paying off debt. Even if you change your platform to the best one ever, you have already shown a lack of strength and security. To change your platform due to one forum only shows a lack of security, fortitude, strength and courage in what you were offering. It shows that you aren't a leader who is tough enough to face up to backlash such as mine. I'd rather you take my previous backlash into account than change your platform, but best would have been a rebuttal, best would have been an explanation on why it will work if you are leader, or why it is actually a good idea, or why I am wrong, or at least what you could do to to make it better, and if you couldn't do that, then it proves you didn't really think about your platform in the first place. We need a leader who doesn't take over too much, but is a strong one. Someone who will impose policies with conviction, because they will work.Then if they do fail, due to the lack of involvement they hopefully wouldn't be too drastic, and also he can admit defeat, and try again, courage and thought in the face of adversity.

I have debated with you and you praised my knowledge, praised how well I did and eventually conceded and admitted defeat. Here you had a platform, and then changed it after I explained its faults, proving that you did not think about it in the first place carefully, and did not evaluate it, or you just aren't very confident in its success now, and not very secure and solid about your platform. Even if you change it, being a leader is more about your platform, and I believe that it is a lot about strength, brevity and confidence, which you fail to display. So, as I said before, I will not be supporting you, WilliamsP.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
WilliamsP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:01:01 PM
I may modify a few aspects of my platform, but I generally stand by my current platform.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:14:09 PM
Who are you?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:22:17 PM
At 4/5/2014 12:14:09 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Who are you?

has 41 debates, probably is one of those who's not into the social scene.
WilliamsP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 12:45:33 PM
Why is everyone believing that I want a dictatorship? I do not want one at all. I just want to ensure that DDO prospers. My platform, I believe, is the way to do this.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:05:38 PM
At 4/5/2014 12:45:33 PM, WilliamsP wrote:
Why is everyone believing that I want a dictatorship? I do not want one at all. I just want to ensure that DDO prospers. My platform, I believe, is the way to do this.

How would you decide immature behaviour on the site that won't lead to prosperity of the site? Thinking of which, could you define your idea of a prosperous DDO for me?

Also, people think you're a dictator because you place an inordinate amount of importance on the presidential authority, and censorship.

Oh, also- the president of this site does not automatically has moderation power- so you might want to change your platform accordingly. Its more of a service position.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:33:47 PM
At 4/5/2014 9:26:53 AM, WilliamsP wrote:
My Platform

Each moderator you add is a potential liability. Drafterman left the site over a moderation issue he had with the "voting committee." There aren't very many people on here that I would trust with mod powers. I trust Ore_Ele, but even he caused a mini-controversy by misusing his powers. Airmax does a d*mn good job, and I have yet to see a moderation issue that he hasn't taken care of within an hour or so.

Most sites only add new moderators when they find someone whose application for moderator is worthy of approval. They don't just add a bunch of new mods because they feel like it. Juggle has final say anyway over who gets mod powers. They're not going to give them to someone they don't know or hasn't been established on the site for a long time. I think TUF is probably the only person that they would add as a moderator in the current membership.

My account was inactive for over a month when I took my hiatus from DDO last year. You would have deleted over a hundred of my debates and prevented me from coming back?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 1:52:39 AM
At 4/5/2014 6:06:47 PM, WilliamsP wrote:
I have decided to adjourn my campaign.

Good. While I feel that you have genuinely good intentions for DDO, I would not entrust the position of President with you.

-You are 14 years old. DDO is run by Juggle, a multi-million dollar corporation. Part of the President's job is to talk to Juggle and coordinate plans for development. The President is in a sense like an ambassador between the people of DDO and Juggle. I wouldn't want a 14 year old kid to take such a high position.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 2:07:02 AM
At 4/5/2014 6:06:47 PM, WilliamsP wrote:
I have decided to adjourn my campaign.

Due to a slight intervention of the revolution I might add. Its good you adjourned when you did. *Walks away*

Jifpop09: Stupid phone, yeah, call off the hit.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party