Jump to topic:

Farewell Address

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:36:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Judging from the 134 notifications and 46 pm's I received while I was gone, and from how crazy DDO has gotten in the one week ive been gone, I guess I need to clarify a couple things about this whole ordeal before I sign off for the final time. Ill start with the juicy stuff first to try not to bore you (though it will get a little dry after #3).

1) Why I dont/cant give the new policy a chance.

A lot of people have said that I should simply try to give the new policy a chance rather than have immediately opposed it and inadvertently triggered a mass exodus from the site as a result. In order for me to give the new policy a chance though, I would have to massively change my behavior, massively change the weekly stupid, massively change how i converse and troll, and change just about every aspect of who i am and how i act on here. The changes I would have to make would be so massive and ungodly difficult to make it would be similar to suffocating, and for what? If I do try to change everything I do I either will live a suffocating and pointless existence on here until I slip up bad and get banned, or until DDO itself becomes such a hell-hole that its not even worth being on anymore.

And I know a couple things about slow and painful deaths.

(here's the juicy part for those of you reading)

When I was a freshman in high school, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. There are 5 stages of cancer, 1 being treatable to 5 being a death sentence, and my dad had stage 4. The Doctors gave him about 6 moths to live, he only lasted about 4. Prior to being diagnosed with cancer, my dad was fantastic golfer, 6 feet tall almost his entire life, the life of a party, strong as a bull, and the most positive person you could be around..... He owned a motorcycle when he was attending the Air Force Academy which is ballsy to do because you are not allowed to own a motorcycle when you are at the Air Force Academy. How he kept it a secret is beyond me.

Anyways, In those 4 months before he died I witnessed my dad wither away into a shell of a person he once was. He lost a ton of weight, on his death bed he weighed about 100 pounds, he lost his hair only after it turned white, he lost his ability to walk, he ping ponged from hospital to hospital all over Florida in a desperate bid to try to prolong his life.... It was hands down the sh*ttiest way you could spend your last few weeks on Earth. I also saw him the day before he died where basically I had to say goodbye to him, along with my mom and my little brother, who was in Middle School at the time.

Point is, I watched cancer suffocate him until he wasnt even the same person anymore. He had aged more in the last 4 months of his life then he did in the previous 20 years. Had he simply died in a car accident or a plane crash (he was a pilot for 25 years after all), it would have been a hell of a lot easier for me to deal with because he wouldve went out at the top of his game. Instead, the exact opposite happened.

That happened about 5 years ago (6 months before Obama was elected the first time) 2 years later I stumbled across DDO purely by chance. It was a cool place to hang out with people who cared about events and ideas and stuff, which was a nice change from real life where all my friends either dont care, are idiots, or both. I could be who I really wanted to be on here, and I ended up connecting with people better on here than with people in real life simply because I was able to be myself, and I happen to be a cynical yet entertaining person who occasionally likes to tell an idiot that hes an idiot.

However, I'm not going to silence myself from being who I am just so that I dont get banned by Airmax, which I know will one day happen again since its happened 3 times in the past now. If I shut down my account outright then I get removed from all the leaderboards, and if I get banned then the same thing happens; my identity and everything I am and was in the past gets erased like it never happened, sorta like what happened to my dad

And I refuse to suffocate until I die like he did.

Under Airmax's policy, thats exactly what im looking at right now. I can go out now on my own terms with my identity the way it is, or suffocate just to keep fighting a winless battle until im a shell of what I once was. Naturally I opted for the former, because ive seen how bad the latter can be.

2) Why this policy is basically aimed at me

Ever since January, Airmax has held me to a much higher standard in conduct than anyone else on this site, and I know that because he's told it to me in the PM's several f*cking times. If I so much as called someone an idiot 3 times in less than 10 minutes, Airmax would pop up like that annoying paperclip thing in microsoft word and tell me to calm down, even when way worse flamewars were going on around the site literally at the exact same time.

In addition to that, I also know who this policy is aimed at. Airmax isnt going to use this new policy to bring the hammer down on every person on the site who slips up, hes way too soft to do that. What he IS going to do is use this new policy only towards those who cause him the most headaches on here.

And guess who is currently at the top of that list? Ill give you a hint, its the guy who runs the Weekly Stupid, the guy who just came off his 3rd temp ban, and the guy who currently has 7 active restraining orders against people, (me). So not only does this new policy put me in a tight spot, im also at the very least one of the most likely people who will be targeted by it.

3) Why this policy sucks

Now im not going to take some grand stand about why people should be able to ruthlessly attack each other no matter what on the grounds of free speech, so you can all calm the f*ck down. I can understand why personal attacks can be viewed as a negative thing, but there is are times when they can come in handy.

Namely: Running idiots off the site

What do you think happened to ScottyDouglas?
What do you think happened to Anti-Atheist?
What do you think happened to RationalMadman?
What do you think happened to Stalin?
What about Krazzy Player?
Why do you think Geo doesnt post as much crazy sh** as he used to?

Its because they all were laughed at to the point that they were either laughed off the site completely, or to the point that they either shut up a lot more often (Geo) or went crazy and got themselves banned by their own stupidity (RM and Krazzy). And we can all agree that DDO is a far better place because of it now. Personal attacks, as ugly as they can be, are simply the best tool for getting mega-idiots off the site and we can all think of a few people that DDO would be better off without.

Is it ethical to use personal attacks to get an idiot off the site? Hell. F*cking. No. Trust me if there were a more ethical way to do it that was just as effective, I would happily pursue that method instead. Its simply not an option for 2 reasons:

- 1 - Nothing else is as effective...... It is bullying after all and bullying does get results way better than trying to enlighten the idiots or just ignoring them. Ignoring idiots only leads to spamming and cross-thread contamination, and anyone who thinks that ignoring idiots is the best way to fix them and preserve DDO has a massive ignorance of how idiots on DDO work. Anyone who has seen posts from Andoctuir knows that retards will only act out for attention by spamming and cross-thread contamination when people ignore them.

- 2 - Im really, REALLY good at it........... Love me, hate me, or barely know me, just about everyone on here can agree that I can be one antagonistic mother f*cker, which comes in handy when you also have a profound hatred of stupidity.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:36:44 PM
People who believe that personal attacks are ok to use when running a massive idiot off the site tend to think that the ends justify the means. Those who dont think its ok tend to think that the ends do NOT justify the means. There is no right answer to whether its ok or not, and people are equally divided on whether or not the ends do or do not justify the means, which is why roughly half this site likes me, and the other half hates me.

Ignorance and stupidity are the all time biggest enemies to intellectual discussion. Personal attacks are also on that list somewhere dont get me wrong, but stupidity has been and always be number 1 on that list. My argument on behalf of personal attacks is that If you were to sling enough personal attacks at an idiot to the point that they left, you are essentially using a lesser evil to defeat a greater evil, and in that case personal attacks shouldnt be banned. Some people can make peace with that idea, others cant, and again theres no right answer to it either. Some people just simply would prefer DDO become overrun with idiots than resort to relentlessly using personal attacks to drive off the worst idiots on the site who ruin it, (why though is beyond me)

Its not exactly ethical, but it simply gets results, and to tell you the truth its both of those things that makes the whole thing fun.

Do you have any idea what its like to be able to go around this site acting like the Joker, while being revered by some as Batman, while still doing enough other decent things around here to have the general fame of Iron Man? Its INTOXICATING, so much so that occasionally I'll use poor judgment and accidentally get in a flame war with people who do not deserve being flamed at whatsoever and are great contributions to DDO. (My apologies to Wrichcirw and Khaos_mage)

So while personal attacks can in many circumstances be unethical and obstructive to intelligent conversation, it is still nowhere as bad as hyper-idiocy or idiocy in general, and personal attacks can even be used to fight severe-stupidity off from the site when used correctly. Which brings me to me final point:

4) The policy opens the doors for widespread Idiocy

In the one week I have not been on DDO I have watched countless idiots launch presidential campaigns with Daytona being the ONLY one I trust and respect at all out of all the candidates, I saw jifpop retardedly try to copy the DDO Truthbox thread just so he could feel important around here before having it deleted as spam, jimtimmy came back to remind everyone why people thinks he's a retard, bubbatheclown is probably trying to get attention and failing miserably at it (again), and every day more and more idiots flood onto DDO through the gates we know as the opinions section.

DDO already has a tons of idiots on here, and we could all probably name at least 5 people who if they were to leave the site would only be an improvement for DDO. The only way for people on DDO to get rid of the worst of the biggest idiots who do wind up on DDO though was through personal attacks, and now that they are pretty much outlawed, how else can idiots be fought? Ignoring them simply doesnt work, it only pushes the idiots to act out for attention with spam and useless crap (ex: jifpop and bubba), and you cant enlighten them on why they are idiots since idiots can never comprehend how retarded they really are.

You dont have to run every idiot off the site with personal attacks to preserve DDO though, let me make that perfectly clear. You only have to go after the mega-idiots, and its the mega-idiots who are the ones I only intended to harass because its the mega-idiots who are the ones screwing up this site the most. Occasionally I would f*ck up and end up fighting someone who shouldnt be run off the site sure, other times I would take it too far and wind up with a restraining order against a certain person, basically giving them a lifeline to stay on the site....

But I can assure you that all (most) of my actions were done because I sincerely believed they would (in the end) be an overall benefit to DDO. Do you really think DDO would have been better off if RationalMadman was still here? Or ScottyDouglas? I dont, and I dont think many of you do either, and so I have harassed idiots with the intention of making them shut up a lot more often, leave the site outright, or drive them crazy to the point that they get themselves banned. One of the reasons I did this a lot was partly because I was in the best position to do so (Since I own the Weekly Stupid).

The Weekly Stupid itself was originally set up to be a roast of stupid comments and simply exploit stupid people for cheap entertainment, but it grew over time in a way I never could have imagined to the point that I could rally people against mega-idiots and potentially mob them off the site. It also gave me an a**load of fame on the site and also gave me the ability to choose who the mega-idiots were and basically target them. When you get the power to label people as mega-idiots and potentially mob them off the site for the sake of DDO itself, some people would accept that power and use it, and I was one of them

Again, not ethical at all I know, but DDO doesnt have a personal attack problem, it has an idiocy problem. If it didnt have an idiocy problem then I would be a lot more tame and so would many other people around here. This new policy though brings down the hammer on personal attacks, so now there are no other means for people on DDO to run idiots off the site, idiots who are so stupid that they single-handedly bring down the quality of DDO.

The idiocy issue has gotten so bad that people are flat out leaving DDO for Edeb8, and everyone here knows how much of an idiocy problem DDO has these days.

===================================================================

Summarization:

1 - This policy takes away the one thing the people of DDO had left to fight the mega-stupid and this policy ultimately sucks since it allows for a greater evil (stupidity) to grow stronger just to eliminate a lesser evil (Personal Attacks

2 - I am likely going to be one of the people who is relentlessly targeted by the personal attacks policy since I was catching sh*t about them from Airmax long before this ever came along

3 - For me to stay here I would have to completely change my behavior until I slip up and get banned, to the point that it would be suffocating since personal attacks are a sizable chunk of how i act around here. Even if I do hold out, DDO itself is on the fast track to becoming overrun with idiots who under the new policy cant be run off the site, meaning that DDO as we know it is on the fast track to turning into something we no longer recognize........... As someone who has seen firsthand what its like to suffocate until a grisly and painful death, im sure as hell not going to go down the same road, and Ill leave with what I have on my own terms while I still can.

And that, is why I am leaving.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Generic-Name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:41:17 PM
I find this was a bit rude and too personal.
Being smart is knowing your wife's hair style isn't as good as her last one. Being wise is knowing enough to keep your mouth shut.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:43:05 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:41:17 PM, Generic-Name wrote:

http://media.tumblr.com...

Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:48:45 PM
Hmmmm, how do I say I knew you couldn't stay forever without sounding rude? Oh well, goodbye Bench..... the humor you've provided users and the frustration will both be missed.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:50:12 PM
I didn't know you too well, bench, but I always thought you were hilarious and was a big fan of the Weekly Stupid. I understand completely where you're coming from, and to be perfectly honest, I'm largely in agreement with you on this new policy. Just know that this place won't be the same without you and you will be dearly missed -- yes, even by your haters.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:51:05 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:36:35 PM, imabench wrote:
Judging from the 134 notifications and 46 pm's I received while I was gone, and from how crazy DDO has gotten in the one week ive been gone, I guess I need to clarify a couple things about this whole ordeal before I sign off for the final time. Ill start with the juicy stuff first to try not to bore you (though it will get a little dry after #3).

Dude, don't give it a chance. Continue to be exactly who you are. If you leave, they win. They can temporarily close your account, but they can't silence you. We wouldn't let them.

If you think about it, the one's with the power aren't Ore_Ele or Airmax or TUF or even Juggle. The debaters are the consumers, and the product is the culture of DDO. This means that you, who are a core member of that culture, are more influential than any moderation policy. You should have seen people explode when you were gone.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is you are protected by yourself. The only way you would can be silenced if you leave, which would be tragic. I therefore ask that you stay. You don't even need to fight the system; you control it already.
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:53:10 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:51:05 PM, kbub wrote:

Dude, don't give it a chance. Continue to be exactly who you are. If you leave, they win. They can temporarily close your account, but they can't silence you. We wouldn't let them.

If you think about it, the one's with the power aren't Ore_Ele or Airmax or TUF or even Juggle. The debaters are the consumers, and the product is the culture of DDO. This means that you, who are a core member of that culture, are more influential than any moderation policy. You should have seen people explode when you were gone.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is you are protected by yourself. The only way you would can be silenced if you leave, which would be tragic. I therefore ask that you stay. You don't even need to fight the system; you control it already.

Are you saying we should boycott DDO if bench gets banned?
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:53:20 PM

That was actually a really good point I didn't even consider. Well said -- I agree completely.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:54:52 PM

Dude, don't give it a chance. Continue to be exactly who you are. If you leave, they win. They can temporarily close your account, but they can't silence you.

I got temp banned for a week for calling someone a gay slur, they most certainly can and will silence me if they feel it necessary :P

We wouldn't let them.

If you think about it, the one's with the power aren't Ore_Ele or Airmax or TUF or even Juggle.

When you get temp banned it sure as hell feels like it....

The debaters are the consumers, and the product is the culture of DDO. This means that you, who are a core member of that culture, are more influential than any moderation policy. You should have seen people explode when you were gone.

I did, funny as sh** too XD

I really dont.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:57:05 PM
Fareweel Bench, I'll see you on the other side (Facebook). Much love <3
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:57:13 PM

you seem to over estimate how much pull he has and how much is contribution is worth. Those arguments are the exact same that Askbob and Sieben made when they and the AnCaps left. They claimed that they were the ones that made DDO worth visiting and without them, the site would come crashing down and they would teach Juggle a thing or two.

The reality is that in the 1 week that Imabench has been gone, posts have gone up, debates are about the same, and votes went a down a bit. I don't have the total page views or the stats that actually matter directly to the bottom line, but Imabench is not so important that the site will collapse without him.

But he is always welcome back, but just like everyone else, he has to abide by the rules.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:57:43 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:54:52 PM, imabench wrote:

Dude, don't give it a chance. Continue to be exactly who you are. If you leave, they win. They can temporarily close your account, but they can't silence you.

I got temp banned for a week for calling someone a gay slur, they most certainly can and will silence me if they feel it necessary :

Ima, there are ways around it, that's legal to the site's policy... ;)

We wouldn't let them.

If you think about it, the one's with the power aren't Ore_Ele or Airmax or TUF or even Juggle.

The debaters are the consumers, and the product is the culture of DDO. This means that you, who are a core member of that culture, are more influential than any moderation policy. You should have seen people explode when you were gone.

I really dont.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 4:58:35 PM
I'm not going to argue with you. I don't think you posted this to defend it.

I will just say I disagree, and find your choices unfortunate. And that I respect your intelligence, and will miss your presence (when you aren't yelling at me).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Generic-Name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:00:22 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:43:05 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/6/2014 4:41:17 PM, Generic-Name wrote:

[Censored]

I have reported you.
Being smart is knowing your wife's hair style isn't as good as her last one. Being wise is knowing enough to keep your mouth shut.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:00:32 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:57:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

you seem to over estimate how much pull he has and how much is contribution is worth. Those arguments are the exact same that Askbob and Sieben made when they and the AnCaps left. They claimed that they were the ones that made DDO worth visiting and without them, the site would come crashing down and they would teach Juggle a thing or two.

The reality is that in the 1 week that Imabench has been gone, posts have gone up, debates are about the same, and votes went a down a bit. I don't have the total page views or the stats that actually matter directly to the bottom line, but Imabench is not so important that the site will collapse without him.

But he is always welcome back, but just like everyone else, he has to abide by the rules.

It's spring. http://www.google.com...
0x5f3759df
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:02:47 PM
Wtf am I supposed to do on Friday nights now with no weekly stupid to watch?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:03:58 PM
At 4/6/2014 5:02:47 PM, thett3 wrote:

Do what everybody else does. Jack off.

Thanks a lot, Airmax+Policy. Now Thett has to join the vagarities of conformity.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:04:16 PM

Vote on debates?

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:04:28 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:54:52 PM, imabench wrote:

I got temp banned for a week for calling someone a gay slur, they most certainly can and will silence me if they feel it necessary :P

So you're just going to save them the trouble?

We wouldn't let them.

I'm sure. But they need you to support them, or else silence yourself. Wouldn't it be interesting if you did neither?

I really dont.

Are you sure? Why do you think otherwise?
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:05:32 PM

I though it was being cancelled anyways
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:06:46 PM
At 4/6/2014 5:05:32 PM, Actionsspeak wrote:

I though it was being cancelled anyways

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:06:54 PM
At 4/6/2014 5:00:32 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/6/2014 4:57:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It's spring. http://www.google.com...

That's the frequency that people are google seaching "Debate.org" not necessarily the page views.

Alexa has different results.

http://www.alexa.com...

Even through spring last year, the site slowly grew, taking off in the Fall and slowly falling since Winter.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 5:08:44 PM
At 4/6/2014 4:50:12 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I didn't know you too well, bench, but I always thought you were hilarious and was a big fan of the Weekly Stupid. I understand completely where you're coming from, and to be perfectly honest, I'm largely in agreement with you on this new policy. Just know that this place won't be the same without you and you will be dearly missed -- yes, even by your haters.

This^

Farewell, imabench :(