Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Is it possible to create a fallacy debate?

digitalbeachbum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 6:39:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm currently in the "voting" phase for a debate where the subject is "The Pixar theory".

My opponent, The Instigator, asked in their opening statement "My opponent is to make his argument for why the Pixar theory is true".

It was my understanding that The Instigator, by default, was the one who had the BoP. I believed my opponent would have to attack. So I took this challenge because I would be arguing a defense for the Pixar theory.

On the second round, the first sentence, my opponent says, "a) The burden is on Pro to prove that the Pixar theory is correct"

Now wait a minute?

My opponent said I had "to make an argument for why the Pixar theory was true". They did not say I had the BoP and they did not say I had to prove the theory was correct". I wouldn't have taken the debate if they would have said that in the opening statement.

1) I believe the debate is a fallacy. The BoP was on my opponent to prove a negative.

2) I believe my opponent committed a fallacy by switching the BoP on to me after I took the debate.

3) I believe that their poor wording and lack of being forthright about my tasks should cause them to forfeit the debate.

4) I do not believe they carried the BoP. They didn't provide any resources. They had poor spelling and grammar through out the debate. They did not support their claim.

I am asking the community to vote for me on these points.

Thank you.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 6:48:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If anything I'd vote you down on conduct for blatantly vote-pandering in this thread.

Secondly, the BOP isn't defaultly on the instigator.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...