Jump to topic:

Official: DDO Voting Update Coming

Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:22:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In a couple of weeks we are launching an update to the site that will focus on the debates section, more specifically, voting.

We are planning on expanding the "Voting Options" for debates. The goal of these new options is to give debaters the opportunity to determine what voting style they wish to employ for their debates. Here is a basic outline of what we are working on.

The Voting Options you can configure on a debate would consist of the following:

EXISTING FEATURES
1.Voting Period Length
2.Vote Comments (On or Off)

NEW FEATURES
Voting Style
Open Voting - within open voting members would have two options for configuration

1) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both would still have RFDs)
2) Eligible Voters - either leave it open to all eligible voters OR select an ELO floor that voters must have to vote on the debate (all other prerequisites for being eligible to vote would still apply)

Judge Voting - select up to 10 hand-picked judges to vote on a debate, leaving voting closed to all other users

1) Instigator selects judges. The opponent when accepting the challenge, has to also accept the nominated judges.
2) Nominated judges would have to accept in order to judge the debate
3) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both would still have RFDs)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With adding a new judge voting option, we are creating a "leaderboard" that would list out the members who have judged the most debates and the percentage of times they have selected the winner of the debate. This would provide newer members an opportunity to figure out who experienced judges may be to nominate.

We will also be making a few other changes:

- Making sure that forfeited debates no longer show in any of the "Voting Period" debate filters
- Expanding the gender options for member profiles

As always, we will also be rolling in a few bug fixes that have been reported or are known issues.

Lastly, thanks to thett3, TUF, Ore_Ele, and CP for their feedback on the voting options and helping us come up with something that we feel is a good compromise and provides a lot of flexibility.

The exact release date is still being determined, but it will be within the next 2-3 weeks. We will keep you updated as we set a target date.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:43:19 AM
At 4/7/2014 10:22:02 AM, Debate.org_Official wrote:
In a couple of weeks we are launching an update to the site that will focus on the debates section, more specifically, voting.

We are planning on expanding the "Voting Options" for debates. The goal of these new options is to give debaters the opportunity to determine what voting style they wish to employ for their debates. Here is a basic outline of what we are working on.

The Voting Options you can configure on a debate would consist of the following:

EXISTING FEATURES
1.Voting Period Length

NEW FEATURES
Voting Style
Open Voting - within open voting members would have two options for configuration

1) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both would still have RFDs)
2) Eligible Voters - either leave it open to all eligible voters OR select an ELO floor that voters must have to vote on the debate (all other prerequisites for being eligible to vote would still apply)

Judge Voting - select up to 10 hand-picked judges to vote on a debate, leaving voting closed to all other users

1) Instigator selects judges. The opponent when accepting the challenge, has to also accept the nominated judges.
3) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both would still have RFDs)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With adding a new judge voting option, we are creating a "leaderboard" that would list out the members who have judged the most debates and the percentage of times they have selected the winner of the debate. This would provide newer members an opportunity to figure out who experienced judges may be to nominate.

- Making sure that forfeited debates no longer show in any of the "Voting Period" debate filters

As always, we will also be rolling in a few bug fixes that have been reported or are known issues.

Lastly, thanks to thett3, TUF, Ore_Ele, and CP for their feedback on the voting options and helping us come up with something that we feel is a good compromise and provides a lot of flexibility.

The exact release date is still being determined, but it will be within the next 2-3 weeks. We will keep you updated as we set a target date.

Woot!
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:49:34 AM
http://media.tumblr.com...
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:56:18 AM
Nice!
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:57:14 AM

EXISTING FEATURES
1.Voting Period Length

NEW FEATURES
Voting Style

My name is kbub and I approve this message.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:07:59 AM
At 4/7/2014 10:56:18 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
Nice!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:11:43 AM
These are all good ideas.

Another good idea is to make a way to judge the judges. For example, you could put a "like" button on each person's RFD. People will accumulate likes based on how frequently they judge and how good people think their RFD's are. That will make it easier for people to select judges for their debates, because we'd all want judges with lots of likes.

Just a suggestion!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:17:40 AM
At 4/7/2014 11:07:59 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/7/2014 10:56:18 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
Nice!

Is it enough to make you stick around? :P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:25:53 AM
Thanks julia I have been really excited about this. I really think the community will appreciate this :)

Also thanks for others who helped in giving feedback for this idea. I think this will solve some of the members issues with the system. We still have work to do on encouraging better voting however. :)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:28:41 AM
At 4/7/2014 11:25:53 AM, TUF wrote:
Thanks julia I have been really excited about this. I really think the community will appreciate this :)

Also thanks for others who helped in giving feedback for this idea. I think this will solve some of the members issues with the system. We still have work to do on encouraging better voting however. :)

I think I'm going to start paying people to vote on my debates. $1 for voting. An extra $5 for voting for me. That should fix everything. My ELO will soon reflect the quality of my debating skills. :-)
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:29:09 AM

So couldn't the instigator just choose all his or her close friends, who are biased since they are friends, to judge, ensuring an easy win?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:35:05 AM
At 4/7/2014 11:28:41 AM, philochristos wrote:

I think I'm going to start paying people to vote on my debates. $1 for voting. An extra $5 for voting for me. That should fix everything. My ELO will soon reflect the quality of my debating skills. :-)

Lolwut
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:40:56 AM
At 4/7/2014 11:29:09 AM, Defro wrote:

So couldn't the instigator just choose all his or her close friends, who are biased since they are friends, to judge, ensuring an easy win?

He could, but then the challenger doesn't have to accept. If two people discuss having a debate, they can also discuss between themselves who will be the judges, and they can come to an agreement that way. It will be kind of like jury selection.

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:50:04 AM
OK Juggle, you're on! I've been awake all night baking muffins. Now I've got 1 hour 30 minutes left before the sun rises in this part of the world, and I'm going to see if I can code this "nominate voters" thing in that time.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:58:21 AM
At 4/7/2014 11:50:04 AM, larztheloser wrote:
OK Juggle, you're on! I've been awake all night baking muffins. Now I've got 1 hour 30 minutes left before the sun rises in this part of the world, and I'm going to see if I can code this "nominate voters" thing in that time.

10/10

Time well spent
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:59:26 AM

Or the depth of your wallet. You have a fair number of debates and I think you're about to *cough cough* go on a winning streak.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 12:06:56 PM
At 4/7/2014 11:59:26 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Or the depth of your wallet. You have a fair number of debates and I think you're about to *cough cough* go on a winning streak.

And if I debate somebody like RoyLatham or Mikal, it'll be $10 for every vote for me.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 12:12:26 PM
At 4/7/2014 12:06:56 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/7/2014 11:59:26 AM, Zaradi wrote:

And if I debate somebody like RoyLatham or Mikal, it'll be $10 for every vote for me.

What can I say? I always root for the underdog ;)
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:20:22 PM

EXISTING FEATURES
1.Voting Period Length

NEW FEATURES
Voting Style

I don't see a point to this. It's a step backwards.

This solves the problem of dumb voters, I suppose, even though voteombing and a lack of voting are 99% of the problems, and an Elo floor doesn't specifically target either.

I can see how this would work in tourneys, but most turneys don't even have more than 5 people vote on them, and it is useful for nothing else. This policy makes it seem like a privelige to vote, when it's really a privelige to be voted on. This system can also be easily exploited.

A veto system would be nice.

So there are going to be pesty "vote for me" notifications instead of just PMs now?

Also, a leader board based on who voted for the winning debate is pointless. I can go to the voting section and vote on all the winning debates. it doesn't mean I'm better. Also, this discourages dissent, which can provide valuable perspectives on debates.

This is good. I hope you make them auto losses for the person who forfeited more, instead of ties or deletions.

God why.

Lastly, thanks to thett3, TUF, Ore_Ele, and CP

Ah, CP.

for their feedback on the voting options and helping us come up with something that we feel is a good compromise and provides a lot of flexibility.

0x5f3759df
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:27:55 PM

Done with about 15mins to spare! :) I'm also now taking wagers on whether Juggle will have this out before Easter.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:30:12 PM
There are two positive things to this update: vote screening (which is really fantastic, given the numerous members whose demonstrably awful voting habits come at the expense of all debates they vote on) and the win/loss option. So, even if it's not what I actually wanted, it's better than the status quo.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:31:08 PM
At 4/7/2014 1:27:55 PM, larztheloser wrote:

Done with about 15mins to spare! :) I'm also now taking wagers on whether Juggle will have this out before Easter.

Lol.
0x5f3759df
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 2:01:47 PM
At 4/7/2014 1:27:55 PM, larztheloser wrote:

Doubtful. The 2-3 week thing is an absolute joke: I think it'll be out just in time for summer vacation.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 2:04:50 PM
Interesting how all of edeb8 instantly begged me to remove this as they all felt, and I kind of agree, that this will lower the quality of voting. I've disabled it for now pending further feedback.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 2:08:30 PM
At 4/7/2014 2:04:50 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Interesting how all of edeb8 instantly begged me to remove this as they all felt, and I kind of agree, that this will lower the quality of voting. I've disabled it for now pending further feedback.

Lmao. Pls no. I want my up-down voting. Pls don't give Juggle any ideas.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 2:11:25 PM
At 4/7/2014 2:04:50 PM, larztheloser wrote:

I think the voting system that was already in place is great. No need to change it.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder