Jump to topic:

So, about that presidential run....

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 10:43:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I keep seeing people say that "daytona is the only serious candidate" or something of that nature -- several people have questioned whether I'm a serious candidate, and for some God forsaken reason have lumped me in with the so-called "noobs" who declared their candidacies, or with the bubbatheclown's.

Let me make this clear. I am serious, I am running, and no I do not, nor did I ever think, that I was "running for moderator." I happened to have a distinct vision for the site which I've been posting topics about for easily 3 weeks now; that vision doesn't happen to include a nanny state -- or a policy so outrageous that enforcement, ipso facto, is unheard of.

Oh, and to clear up the record: there's this myth that I "left the site in protest." People promulgating this myth are dead wrong -- either deliberately because they love spreading misinformation, but enjoy being willfully ignorant, or because they never bothered to fact check anything that was said (groupthink is a hell of a drug).

Here's the truth, and I could even go back to my farewell thread and quote myself, if need be. I left not because of the policy, but because of the deteriorating nature of the site. This included a number of people I came to like deciding to leave, in many cases because of the policy. So, yes, it contributed indirectly to me leaving, but was largely the final nail in the coffin. It wasn't a "protest" either. I don't think anyone would care if I left, nor am I so self-aggrandizing that I would insinuate as much.

Anyway, there's my rant...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 11:00:42 AM
Everyone could just stop acting like the elections are tomorrow, and wait for election season to actually happen.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 11:02:13 AM
At 4/10/2014 11:00:42 AM, donald.keller wrote:
Everyone could just stop acting like the elections are tomorrow, and wait for election season to actually happen.

I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but daytona began the wave, so we all may as well ride it or get left behind by low tide.

I think I told that correctly...
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 11:46:39 AM
I don't consider you, Daytona, or bubbatheclown, or anyone who is announcing their candidacies this early to be a serious candidate at all.

Bubbatheclown is still basically brand new to the site. His debate elo is <3000, he has less than 5k forum posts, and he has been on the site for less than a year. His account has also been deactivated recently.

Daytonanerd has barely been on the site for a year. His debate elo is <3000. He only has just over 20 debates (the majority of which are non-serious debates). He has under 5k forum posts. He is in no way the ideal leader for the site. Specifically, he is not a serious debaters, and DEBATE.ORG ought to cater to those who are serious about DEBATE.

You, progressivedem, suffer from the exact same criterion flaws as bubbatheclown: Sub-par debate experience/ELO, Under 1k forum posts, still very new to the site.

As far as I know, those are the only proposed candidates thus far.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 11:53:08 AM
At 4/10/2014 11:46:39 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
I don't consider you, Daytona, or bubbatheclown, or anyone who is announcing their candidacies this early to be a serious candidate at all.

Bubbatheclown is still basically brand new to the site. His debate elo is <3000, he has less than 5k forum posts, and he has been on the site for less than a year. His account has also been deactivated recently.

Daytonanerd has barely been on the site for a year. His debate elo is <3000. He only has just over 20 debates (the majority of which are non-serious debates). He has under 5k forum posts. He is in no way the ideal leader for the site. Specifically, he is not a serious debaters, and DEBATE.ORG ought to cater to those who are serious about DEBATE.

You, progressivedem, suffer from the exact same criterion flaws as bubbatheclown: Sub-par debate experience/ELO, Under 1k forum posts, still very new to the site.

There's also jif if he (or she?) is serious.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 11:54:24 AM
At 4/10/2014 11:53:08 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Jifpop has been on the site for a mere 3 months....
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 11:57:02 AM
At 4/10/2014 11:54:24 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:

I know. Last person I would vote for actually. I'm just saying you missed one.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 12:17:34 PM

To be fair, I'm about 100 points away from 3000, and my win-loss ratio is really good, with my only losses being either forfeits after I sorta left, or accept a debate by mistakes. I don't debate much because I'm busy, but every debate I've participated in I have won -- save for two ties because no one bothered to vote. I'd put my debating skills and knowledge up against anyone. I'm sure you'd agree that, though experience and ELO are indeed a factor, neither of translate directly into skill level.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:26:17 PM
At 4/10/2014 11:57:02 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Thank ye kindly.

I don't think anyone in their right minds would vote for jifpop lol. He's the guy who started the whole DDO revolution thing right?
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:34:15 PM
At 4/10/2014 1:26:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 4/10/2014 11:57:02 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Thank ye kindly.

I don't think anyone in their right minds would vote for jifpop lol. He's the guy who started the whole DDO revolution thing right?

Twice actually. Second time was more undercover, and I think there's still a group for it.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:34:40 PM

Daytonanerd has barely been on the site for a year.
It'll actually be 2 years in late May
His debate elo is <3000. He only has just over 20 debates (the majority of which are non-serious debates).
Airmax had less when he ran, first time.
He has under 5k forum posts. He is in no way the ideal leader for the site. Specifically, he is not a serious debaters, and DEBATE.ORG ought to cater to those who are serious about DEBATE.
I consider myself more community-oriented, instead of focusing on debates. I'd argue that it would make me a better leader.

#FeeltheFreezerBern
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:35:52 PM
At 4/10/2014 12:17:34 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

To be fair, I'm about 100 points away from 3000, and my win-loss ratio is really good, with my only losses being either forfeits after I sorta left, or accept a debate by mistakes. I don't debate much because I'm busy, but every debate I've participated in I have won -- save for two ties because no one bothered to vote. I'd put my debating skills and knowledge up against anyone. I'm sure you'd agree that, though experience and ELO are indeed a factor, neither of translate directly into skill level.

I wouldn't agree that you are definitely an up and coming member with promise of becoming a very skilled debater (in fact, that is also what I would consider myself). However, I would not consider you presidential material. IMHO presidential candidates for the site should be long established members with long, thorough track records. I think TUF has done an excellent job thus far as president. He's been on the site for years, he is an excellent debater, he's very well known in the community, and he has always been committed to both the community and debating.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:39:32 PM
At 4/10/2014 1:34:40 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

I stand corrected.

His debate elo is <3000. He only has just over 20 debates (the majority of which are non-serious debates).

Airmax also had extensive knowledge regarding system administrations and moderation (alongside general IT work), and was a much more known, established, and respected member of the community.

He has under 5k forum posts. He is in no way the ideal leader for the site. Specifically, he is not a serious debaters, and DEBATE.ORG ought to cater to those who are serious about DEBATE.
I consider myself more community-oriented, instead of focusing on debates. I'd argue that it would make me a better leader.

I disagree. This is a website that is about debate first, not mafia or the other (albeit fun) "sideshow attractions" that this site has to offer. Yes the president must be a community leader, but I don't consider you to be a "leader" in the DDO community.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:50:09 PM
At 4/10/2014 1:39:32 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:

I stand corrected.

Airmax also had extensive knowledge regarding system administrations and moderation (alongside general IT work
Absolutely irrelevant. Nothing in the presidency position requires this type of experience. I'm not applying to work for Juggle, nor running for moderator.
and was a much more known, established, and respected member of the community.
Many members know of me. Of course, that's subjective, and it's hard to gouge that kind of statistic.

I disagree. This is a website that is about debate first, not mafia or the other (albeit fun) "sideshow attractions" that this site has to offer. Yes the president must be a community leader, but I don't consider you to be a "leader" in the DDO community.

Alright. First, to address the claim that the forums aren't really that important. Shut them down for a week. THEN see how important they are. Also, I do provide efforts to be as much a community leader as I can. I am regularly in contact with many users, am currently having sign ups for a debate tournament, and have submitted ideas and worked a little bit slog with Juggle, on some occasions.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:03:18 PM
At 4/10/2014 1:50:09 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

I stand corrected.

Airmax also had extensive knowledge regarding system administrations and moderation (alongside general IT work
Absolutely irrelevant. Nothing in the presidency position requires this type of experience. I'm not applying to work for Juggle, nor running for moderator.

At the time, it was relevant. Furthermore, as I said, Airmax was more so well known and respected.

Many members know of me. Of course, that's subjective, and it's hard to gouge that kind of statistic.

Knowing you=/=Respecting you.

Personally, I think you're a nice guy with good intentions, but I also believe you to be naive and a tad immature.

Alright. First, to address the claim that the forums aren't really that important. Shut them down for a week. THEN see how important they are. Also, I do provide efforts to be as much a community leader as I can. I am regularly in contact with many users, am currently having sign ups for a debate tournament, and have submitted ideas and worked a little bit slog with Juggle, on some occasions.

I never said that the forums weren't as important. A good deal of debating goes on in only the forums. And again, being in contact with the users again does not mean that you have any particularly heightened wisdom regarding what is best for the site as a whole.

Furthermore, having sign-ups for tournaments is meaningless, unless you successfully regulate and complete said tournaments.

Finally, considering just how outspoken you are against the new site policy, and the way you have shaped your platform, it would seem to me that the only real reason that you want to be president is to reverse the site policy on bullying/personal attacks (which isn't even handled directly by the president) in order to bring Imabench back. Essentially, it seems to me that you are running purely for the sake of a cult personality that you have become enamored with.
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:25:55 PM
At 4/10/2014 10:43:25 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I keep seeing people say that "daytona is the only serious candidate" or something of that nature -- several people have questioned whether I'm a serious candidate, and for some God forsaken reason have lumped me in with the so-called "noobs" who declared their candidacies, or with the bubbatheclown's.

Let me make this clear. I am serious, I am running, and no I do not, nor did I ever think, that I was "running for moderator." I happened to have a distinct vision for the site which I've been posting topics about for easily 3 weeks now; that vision doesn't happen to include a nanny state -- or a policy so outrageous that enforcement, ipso facto, is unheard of.

Oh, and to clear up the record: there's this myth that I "left the site in protest." People promulgating this myth are dead wrong -- either deliberately because they love spreading misinformation, but enjoy being willfully ignorant, or because they never bothered to fact check anything that was said (groupthink is a hell of a drug).

Here's the truth, and I could even go back to my farewell thread and quote myself, if need be. I left not because of the policy, but because of the deteriorating nature of the site. This included a number of people I came to like deciding to leave, in many cases because of the policy. So, yes, it contributed indirectly to me leaving, but was largely the final nail in the coffin. It wasn't a "protest" either. I don't think anyone would care if I left, nor am I so self-aggrandizing that I would insinuate as much.

Anyway, there's my rant...

You have my support, I believe you entered slightly early but I also believe you will survive the gauntlet (daytona, bubba, and jif pose little to no threat) and look forward to calling you president.
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:30:56 PM
At 4/10/2014 2:03:18 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:

I stand corrected.

At the time, it was relevant. Furthermore, as I said, Airmax was more so well known and respected.

Personally, I think you're a nice guy with good intentions, but I also believe you to be naive and a tad immature.

I never said that the forums weren't as important. A good deal of debating goes on in only the forums. And again, being in contact with the users again does not mean that you have any particularly heightened wisdom regarding what is best for the site as a whole.

Furthermore, having sign-ups for tournaments is meaningless, unless you successfully regulate and complete said tournaments.

Finally, considering just how outspoken you are against the new site policy, and the way you have shaped your platform, it would seem to me that the only real reason that you want to be president is to reverse the site policy on bullying/personal attacks (which isn't even handled directly by the president) in order to bring Imabench back. Essentially, it seems to me that you are running purely for the sake of a cult personality that you have become enamored with.

Ty, you used generalizations, poor data, and the idea of a president is to lead changes in policy so your argument is mediocre even if you count the Imabench point and rather ignorant cult point as great.
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:46:34 PM
Excuse me ty, it seems not that you had poor data but that you rather had no data at all to support your subjective view. (When you said) "it seems to me that you are running purely for the sake of a cult personality that you have become enamored with." I can ensure you that progressive hasn't formed a cult centered around Imabench in an attempt to promote harassment, in fact Imabench's presidental approval went to daytonanerd. I find it sad you're resorting to atleast borderline Ad Hominem to attack prodem's credibilty.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:53:50 PM
I don't think elo or forum posts are a good metric. When Airmax was elected, his elo and forum post count were both under 3000.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:26:29 PM
At 4/10/2014 2:46:34 PM, Actionsspeak wrote:
Excuse me ty, it seems not that you had poor data but that you rather had no data at all to support your subjective view. (When you said) "it seems to me that you are running purely for the sake of a cult personality that you have become enamored with." I can ensure you that progressive hasn't formed a cult centered around Imabench in an attempt to promote harassment, in fact Imabench's presidental approval went to daytonanerd. I find it sad you're resorting to atleast borderline Ad Hominem to attack prodem's credibilty.

I was speaking to daytonnanerd, not progdem.

If I was going to vote between either, I would likely vote for progdem.

Finally, Imabench is indeed a "cult" personality.

"A cult of personality arises when an individual uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods, to create an idealized, heroic, and at times, worshipful image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise."
http://en.wikipedia.org...
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:28:53 PM
At 4/10/2014 2:53:50 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I don't think elo or forum posts are a good metric. When Airmax was elected, his elo and forum post count were both under 3000.

I would agree that the most important aspect of a candidate would be their personality and the method in which they interact with the community.

I am simply pointing to these statistics as the only quantitative data, as I do believe that ELO (to a degree, I think my ELO is far too high) can represent the relative skill of a debater. I also believe that a large number of forum posts at least indicates high activity in the community (whether or not it is positive of negative interaction).
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:33:15 PM
At 4/10/2014 3:28:53 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:53:50 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I would agree that the most important aspect of a candidate would be their personality and the method in which they interact with the community.

I am simply pointing to these statistics as the only quantitative data, as I do believe that ELO (to a degree, I think my ELO is far too high) can represent the relative skill of a debater. I also believe that a large number of forum posts at least indicates high activity in the community (whether or not it is positive of negative interaction).

I concur entirely. I don't think it is always a good metric, but it is a viable metric at the least. Forum posts can help quantify how active you are in the community, and elo can help gauge your activity in debates. I think both are needed by a president to fully understand the community. The community at a whole is largely the debate people and the forum people. With the rest remaining in the polls/opps. The majority of active DDO users tend to hang out in the debates/forums.

If you have an active presence in the community, there should be at least some reflect with either elo or forum posts.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:44:16 PM
At 4/10/2014 2:03:18 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:

I stand corrected.

When his first campaign was started? You weren't there for that, if your profile info is correct. I'm not saying Airmax didn't have a lot of respect in his first run, but he had nowhere near as much respect then as he does now. No, it was not relevant at all, Airmax's IT resume.

Well, that is your opinion. Ultimately, the president's main interests should be in the interests of the site, and I believe that I have the site's main interest in mind.

I would disagree. Being in contact with these users has allowed me to gain new insight on what DDO members want. Don't underrate communication.

I think even hosting a tournament like that would show that I care about the community, and I have pushed a great deal of support into it.

You must have really skimmed over my platform. The policy was but one idea of the 3 I presented in my platform. I don't want to reverse the policy to specifically being Ima back. I want it to be reversed because I think it ultimately hurts the site. Also, you must have missed the method of how such policy would even be reversed upon my election. The election of myself would show that these are the views that the community can get behind, and I think that would make an impression on the moderators we have.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:46:57 PM
At 4/10/2014 3:44:16 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Obviously, I'm not going to convince you that you aren't a good candidate. You have asked for the reasons why I don't think you are a good candidate, and I have provided them. You may not agree with them, but I wouldn't expect you to.

Ultimately, only time will tell if DDO thinks you're what is best for the sites future.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:49:54 PM
At 4/10/2014 3:46:57 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:44:16 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Obviously, I'm not going to convince you that you aren't a good candidate. You have asked for the reasons why I don't think you are a good candidate, and I have provided them. You may not agree with them, but I wouldn't expect you to.

Ultimately, only time will tell if DDO thinks you're what is best for the sites future.

Well, it IS the nature of the site to argue things. It is inevitable that disagreements will happen. :)
#FeeltheFreezerBern
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 4:07:18 PM
I'd hate to pull the astroturf "I'm an outsider!" BS, but I think that may be in order, at least at this moment.

Notice that I've never said a bad thing about TUF. I think he's a great guy, skilled debater and by all means an effective president. I said not long ago that if he endorsed some of the things I've been promoting, I'd be willing to throw my support to him. Until that point, I see it as necessary to throw myself in the ring not to counter him or deter his reelection, but because I frankly think the site needs it. "Fresh ideas" is a trite pile of BS in the political world and usually is synonymous with austerity. The opposite is true, in this case. We not only need new ideas, but we need someone who can actually push for things we've all wanted for a while: fix the voting system, allow for team debates, implement a chat system, crack down on utter stupidity, so forth and so on -- a system conducive to academic rigor and intellectual debate, one that would make valued members of the community (like Imabench) want to stay, not one that drives them away en masse.

I think it goes without saying that I'm pretty darn active in the forums, particularly the economics section. As for my ELO: sure, it needs some work, but I'd say it's good for the limited amount of time I've had. Frankly, I dropped out of two rounds of the DDO Olympics because I had literally zero time. But my classes end in about a month -- let's see how far I can take it.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 5:55:02 PM

If one wishes to get technical about this, Bubba asked whether or not he should run; he never officially stated that he would.

My View of the World:

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):