Jump to topic:

So...there's a new site policy.

KnightArtorias
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 1:24:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I doubt this will be of any significance to anyone, as I doubt anyone will even know who I am, and therefore, will care little about what I have to say. None the less, I feel the need to speak. I am an older member who left DDO for an extended time out of a lack of interest. When I returned, I closed my old account, and created this account instead. However I quickly grew bored again, due to the lack of interesting debates. I was, however, a follower of the Weekly Stupid and Imabench's YouTube channel, which is how I first came aware of what was going on here. So I thought I'd stop by and see what all the hubub was about.

Now I do not think I shall be returning again.

Whatever the status of official Juggle policy, the new way of defining a "personal attack", and the enforcement of such notions, is deplorable. This is not a matter of restricting harassment, for if that were the case this policy would not be so extreme. This policy is about the restriction of expressing certain ideas. That is something I cannot, and will not, stand for. A serious debate website must allow the expression of any idea, even the most deplorable, or the most illogical. A proper debate site responds to logical error with reasoning, and social derision. Not authoritarian edicts and power grabs.

Further more, I have been around the Internet for some time now. I've witnessed the rise and fall of many websites, and many of which were geared towards debate and intellectual discussion. All their falls were preceded by something of this nature. By ever encroaching restrictions on what one can and cannot say, based on how it "insults" another. Eventually these sites either died out completely due to everyone departing, or became subsumed by individuals who cared less about an actual exchange of ideas, and more about "hanging out" and making sure everyone felt good about themselves. This is the path DDO is on, and it is a journey I am not interested in taking again. Rather, I shall take my leave now, ahead of the storm. I am not interested in being a member of a website that restricts speech and ideas in this manner.

I do not expect many of you to care, as again, I doubt many of you even know who I am. But these are my thoughts. If nothing else, take them as the thoughts of an outsider looking in. Someone who's not a part of DDO, but thought they might like to be. This policy will drive away such intellectually curious people. You are killing yourselves with this policy. Whether Airmax himself is to blame or not, that is not my concern. The policy itself, ultimately, is to blame. It is intolerable.

With that, I take my permanent leave.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 3:11:57 AM
At 4/12/2014 1:24:24 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
I doubt this will be of any significance to anyone, as I doubt anyone will even know who I am, and therefore, will care little about what I have to say. None the less, I feel the need to speak. I am an older member who left DDO for an extended time out of a lack of interest. When I returned, I closed my old account, and created this account instead. However I quickly grew bored again, due to the lack of interesting debates. I was, however, a follower of the Weekly Stupid and Imabench's YouTube channel, which is how I first came aware of what was going on here. So I thought I'd stop by and see what all the hubub was about.

Whatever the status of official Juggle policy, the new way of defining a "personal attack", and the enforcement of such notions, is deplorable. This is not a matter of restricting harassment, for if that were the case this policy would not be so extreme. This policy is about the restriction of expressing certain ideas. That is something I cannot, and will not, stand for. A serious debate website must allow the expression of any idea, even the most deplorable, or the most illogical. A proper debate site responds to logical error with reasoning, and social derision. Not authoritarian edicts and power grabs.

Further more, I have been around the Internet for some time now. I've witnessed the rise and fall of many websites, and many of which were geared towards debate and intellectual discussion. All their falls were preceded by something of this nature. By ever encroaching restrictions on what one can and cannot say, based on how it "insults" another. Eventually these sites either died out completely due to everyone departing, or became subsumed by individuals who cared less about an actual exchange of ideas, and more about "hanging out" and making sure everyone felt good about themselves. This is the path DDO is on, and it is a journey I am not interested in taking again. Rather, I shall take my leave now, ahead of the storm. I am not interested in being a member of a website that restricts speech and ideas in this manner.

I do not expect many of you to care, as again, I doubt many of you even know who I am. But these are my thoughts. If nothing else, take them as the thoughts of an outsider looking in. Someone who's not a part of DDO, but thought they might like to be. This policy will drive away such intellectually curious people. You are killing yourselves with this policy. Whether Airmax himself is to blame or not, that is not my concern. The policy itself, ultimately, is to blame. It is intolerable.

With that, I take my permanent leave.

I agree. The new members lack direction, and while the senior members should be debating and promoting intellectual disscussion, they spend their time in the forums "hanging out". Few people venture into the Economics and Politics forums, and those who do, discuss little more on baseless opinions and rants with little knowledge. Th only haven for me is the debating section.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:48:46 AM
At 4/12/2014 1:24:24 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
...I was, however, a follower of the Weekly Stupid and Imabench's YouTube channel, which is how I first came aware of what was going on here. So I thought I'd stop by and see what all the hubub was about.

lol, just lol...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 1:44:56 PM
"A proper debate site responds to logical error with reasoning, and social derision. Not authoritarian edicts and power grabs."

So people interested in serious debate are supposed to spend there time trying to reason with trolls? Trolling is really easy, because it only requires responding with rants and insults. Point to one site on the web where intense reasoning by the participants has driven out trolls.