Jump to topic:

An Idea for a Tournament

TheCommonMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 5:04:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello, this is TheCommonMan. I'm not that well known on Debate.org, so chances are, you probably haven't heard of me, lol.

Anyway, I came up with an idea for this website. DDO has a lot of new, talented debaters who have not become very well known on this website. So, I came up with the idea of a rookie debate. I'm thinking that there would be 8 participants. These participants must be new to this website (joined within the past year) and have an elo below 3000 at the time that he/she would sign up. This would allow new talent to be discovered on this website.

Just so everyone knows, I will likely not enter myself in this tournament. I don't want people to think that I came up with this idea as a launching pad for myself. I just think it would be cool if new talent were to be discovered on this website.

So, that's my basic idea. Let me know what you think. Also, if anyone knows if something like this already exists, then let me know that. Thank you!
Never before has there been a man so...common.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:53:47 PM
At 4/12/2014 6:07:15 PM, Romanii wrote:
I think I'm a rather inexperienced debater with at least some potential.... but I have an elo over 3000 :(

Same.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:26:03 AM
At 4/12/2014 5:04:03 PM, TheCommonMan wrote:
Hello, this is TheCommonMan. I'm not that well known on Debate.org, so chances are, you probably haven't heard of me, lol.

Anyway, I came up with an idea for this website. DDO has a lot of new, talented debaters who have not become very well known on this website. So, I came up with the idea of a rookie debate. I'm thinking that there would be 8 participants. These participants must be new to this website (joined within the past year) and have an elo below 3000 at the time that he/she would sign up. This would allow new talent to be discovered on this website.

Just so everyone knows, I will likely not enter myself in this tournament. I don't want people to think that I came up with this idea as a launching pad for myself. I just think it would be cool if new talent were to be discovered on this website.

So, that's my basic idea. Let me know what you think. Also, if anyone knows if something like this already exists, then let me know that. Thank you!

The problem is only people with elo's above 3000 gain forum rights. At least the top half of the forum. Those bottom dwellers are a different story.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:46:56 AM
At 4/13/2014 12:26:03 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

The problem is only people with elo's above 3000 gain forum rights. At least the top half of the forum. Those bottom dwellers are a different story.

Psh, that's completely false. ELO doesn't mean jack squat on the forums. People with about 1500+ posts get forum rights.
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:47:54 AM

This idea is actually already commonly used. For most tournaments on DDO there is a section just for new debaters. :)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 10:30:37 AM

It's not very nice to insult yourself like that.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:29:17 AM
At 4/13/2014 10:30:37 AM, Zaradi wrote:

It's not very nice to insult yourself like that.

http://wifflegif.com...
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:36:43 AM
At 4/13/2014 12:46:56 AM, Intrepid wrote:

Psh, that's completely false. ELO doesn't mean jack squat on the forums. People with about 1500+ posts get forum rights.

I fit neither of those categories, lol.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:37:06 AM
At 4/13/2014 11:36:43 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

^^^
that was post 1400
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:41:26 AM
At 4/13/2014 11:37:06 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

^^^
that was post 1400

You should've made a tribute to thett's glory.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:42:10 AM
At 4/13/2014 11:41:26 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/13/2014 11:37:06 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

^^^
that was post 1400

You should've made a tribute to thett's glory.

I'll save it for post 2000.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:42:24 AM
At 4/12/2014 10:53:47 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I think I'm a rather inexperienced debater with at least some potential.... but I have an elo over 3000 :(

Same.

Um, no, I think you're ready to go up against RoyLatham or Mikal...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:53:52 AM
At 4/13/2014 11:42:24 AM, Romanii wrote:

Same.

Compared to them, I'm still a noob. I've been here for 4-5 months, but I'm still rising
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:55:21 AM
At 4/13/2014 11:53:52 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 4/13/2014 11:42:24 AM, Romanii wrote:

Same.

Compared to them, I'm still a noob. I've been here for 4-5 months, but I'm still rising

That's only because you haven't been here as long. I think your debating skill is good enough to try it though.
By the way, do we disagree on anything enough to debate on?
Aravengeance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:15:46 PM
I'm not sure if TUF's tourny was exactly like the one you suggested, but he already hosted a tournament with 3 seperate categories: novice, intermediate, and expert.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:37:30 PM

Same.

I really think you should join the debate team at your school. It really catapults your skill upwards. If you want, sometime soon I can do a google hangouts debate with you in either PF or LD format so you can see how you like it.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder