Jump to topic:

Why we should nuke the polls

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 3:54:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For goodness' sake...my fragile eyes.....

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not convinced that eliminating the poll section is the answer. I've been advocating strict moderation of them, as they're the easiest section to to troll on. But I've noticed thus far that moderation has been selective. For instance, I tried to post a poll this morning about marginal income tax rates, it was submitted for moderation, and I guess by this point has been rejected. How in the world did these manage to get through?

But yeah, we definitely need a stronger, stricter system for polls. Dare I say progressivedem22 2014?
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 7:43:37 PM
At 4/13/2014 3:48:46 PM, Mikal wrote:
http://i59.tinypic.com...

Holy sh!t...
That is an embarrassment to the site as a whole...

I don't think nuking them completely is a good idea though; perhaps we just need to ensure that a moderator sees every poll before it posts.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 8:28:08 PM
At 4/13/2014 3:54:39 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not convinced that eliminating the poll section is the answer. I've been advocating strict moderation of them, as they're the easiest section to to troll on. But I've noticed thus far that moderation has been selective. For instance, I tried to post a poll this morning about marginal income tax rates, it was submitted for moderation, and I guess by this point has been rejected. How in the world did these manage to get through?

But yeah, we definitely need a stronger, stricter system for polls. Dare I say progressivedem22 2014?

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

2) Require each poll to be checked by a mod before posting
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 8:31:21 PM
At 4/13/2014 8:28:08 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

I agree on increasing moderators, but I wouldn't require mandatory checking. Rather, I'd have a "targeting" scheme for people who have been repeat offenders.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 8:32:46 PM
At 4/13/2014 8:31:21 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

I agree on increasing moderators, but I wouldn't require mandatory checking. Rather, I'd have a "targeting" scheme for people who have been repeat offenders.

I disagree. I think we should just submit a poll and wait awhile for it to get accepted. 75% of the polls are stupid or trolling. And the submitted polls would get more votes.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:16:01 PM

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

But some of the stupidest polls are made by newbies.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:35:48 PM
At 4/13/2014 9:16:01 PM, Romanii wrote:

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

Ban the newbies from the polls then.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:37:57 PM
At 4/13/2014 9:35:48 PM, XLAV wrote:

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

Lol no. The polls are where I first got started on DDO.
Then as I gained prominence I was able to move into the forums.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:40:06 PM

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

True. Which is why the poll topic should first go to the mod. I have a account on a site where the moderation checks comments before posting
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:41:24 AM

http://www.debate.org...

Looks like Invisibledeity's parallel universe counterpart has found his way here.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 8:58:04 AM
At 4/13/2014 8:25:18 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
On the bright side, I went there and saw none of these polls.

They're located in the new polls section. This was on the first page. I looked at. I refuse to go any further...

Dude... Stop...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:06:06 AM
Increased moderation is unnecessary. If you don't like the polls section, just don't visit it.

It's a horrid part of the site and every time you use it, Juggle looks at the use statistics and feels morally superior to the people who claim the polls section is dumb.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:19:54 PM
At 4/13/2014 9:35:48 PM, XLAV wrote:

Plan.......

1) Increase moderators

Then they'd migrate to either the forum section or the opinions section.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 2:29:42 AM
At 4/14/2014 8:58:04 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/13/2014 8:25:18 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
On the bright side, I went there and saw none of these polls.

They're located in the new polls section. This was on the first page. I looked at. I refuse to go any further...

I think his account got closed.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 3:05:25 AM

LOL . . . yeah, that's bad!

I actually think strict moderation of the polls is the better solution.