*Boycott* the polls

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:15:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
On why polls are dumb:

There are a lot of stupid polls that people start. But even if you start a "legitimate" poll, that's dumb too -- because who cares what a non-random sample of 20 people on DDO think? The poll tells you absolutely *nothing.* It suffers from selection bias because only the people who *want* to take your poll actually answer. It is non-representative because DDO is not a representative demographic snapshot of the nation. In addition, the polls *never* get enough responses to overcome sampling error. Your confidence interval for these polls is going to almost be "plus or minus 50%."

If polls were actually used to show you who on the site actually disagrees with a position that you want to debate (and isn't an issue already represented on the profile pages), then the poll section might be useful. But it is never used for that purpose. The forums are more useful for finding an opponent on a specific topic of interest.

Conclusion: Polls are dumb. Stop using them. If you *boycott* the poll section, Juggle will have more reasons to doubt its utility as a feature on the site. If you want the polls section to die, *stop using it.*
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:30:44 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:15:30 AM, bluesteel wrote:
On why polls are dumb:

There are a lot of stupid polls that people start. But even if you start a "legitimate" poll, that's dumb too -- because who cares what a non-random sample of 20 people on DDO think? The poll tells you absolutely *nothing.* It suffers from selection bias because only the people who *want* to take your poll actually answer. It is non-representative because DDO is not a representative demographic snapshot of the nation. In addition, the polls *never* get enough responses to overcome sampling error. Your confidence interval for these polls is going to almost be "plus or minus 50%."

If polls were actually used to show you who on the site actually disagrees with a position that you want to debate (and isn't an issue already represented on the profile pages), then the poll section might be useful. But it is never used for that purpose. The forums are more useful for finding an opponent on a specific topic of interest.

Conclusion: Polls are dumb. Stop using them. If you *boycott* the poll section, Juggle will have more reasons to doubt its utility as a feature on the site. If you want the polls section to die, *stop using it.*

Yay.
Dude... Stop...
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:35:34 AM
Or we could have a virtual petition? I don't think Juggle, LLC cares if we just redirect traffic to other areas of the site. They would care if we as a site speak out...

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

Please just add your name to the list. A big enough petition would certainly attract attention.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:38:49 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:35:34 AM, CJKAllstar wrote:
Or we could have a virtual petition? I don't think Juggle, LLC cares if we just redirect traffic to other areas of the site. They would care if we as a site speak out...

I don't even think they care about that.

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

Please just add your name to the list. A big enough petition would certainly attract attention.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:39:41 AM
To be honest that's true. It has a higher chance than a boycott however.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:53:53 AM

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar
2. Crescendo

My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:14:34 PM
At 4/14/2014 11:38:49 AM, Zaradi wrote:

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

Zaradi has reached immortality... 10,000 posts. Congratulations.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:17:02 PM
At 4/14/2014 11:39:41 AM, CJKAllstar wrote:
To be honest that's true. It has a higher chance than a boycott however.

No, it actually does not. We have learned over time that Juggle's first worry is revenue, and they get revenue from traffic. If there was a big traffic decrease (and damn, you know we could pull that off) it would decrease revenue. Thus, there would be a higher chance that Juggle notices it. If we signed a petition and the revenue only decreased a little bit, then Juggle would not notice it.

I mean, show me one time Juggle has listened to a petition of ours.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:21:43 PM
But by boycotting the polls and opinions and just hanging in the forums and debates you do nothing. If you boycott the whole website then maybe it could work, if enough people do it, but other than many people boycotting the whole website, I don't see how changing where traffic is on the site makes a difference.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:34:28 PM
At 4/14/2014 12:14:34 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

F*CK! GOD DAMNIT >.> That's such a sh*tty 10k post too.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:51:48 PM
At 4/14/2014 12:34:28 PM, Zaradi wrote:

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

You wasted the big 10k... oh dear.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:52:49 PM
Too many new users use the polls. I mean, traffic would got down a little bit, but compared to the number of people who, for example, aren't in the forums (and this wouldn't have seen this forum topic) because they're new and don't feel like engaging over here, it would be a really small number.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:56:51 PM
At 4/14/2014 12:51:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

You wasted the big 10k... oh dear.

^
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 1:07:45 PM

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

Lmao
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 1:29:08 PM

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

Lol hatin' on Juggle for your 10000th XD
People even posted reminders on your profile about it... -.-
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 2:17:30 PM
At 4/14/2014 1:29:08 PM, Romanii wrote:

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

I know >.> #badatlife
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 2:26:56 PM
At 4/14/2014 2:17:30 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 4/14/2014 1:29:08 PM, Romanii wrote:

So I'm starting one!

1. CJKAllstar

I know >.> #badatlife

If it makes you feel any better, Ore_Ele did the same a while back with his 10K or something as well...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:41:33 PM
On why polls are dumb:

I completely agree that the polls section is wholly lacking in merit or value, but I also know that the polls/opinion section is what drives most of Juggle's traffic. So, boycotting them isn't going to have much of an impact, because the majority of the polls/opinion section traffic doesn't come from active forum users.
Tsar of DDO
invisibledeity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:43:08 PM
On why polls are dumb:

Don't be a RACIST!!! I am partly polish myself!!
invisibledeity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:45:19 PM
On why polls are dumb:

There are a lot of stupid polls that people start.

There is NOTHING wrong with polish peple having kids!!

But even if you start a "legitimate" poll, that's dumb too --

NO!! it's not!

because who cares what a non-random sample of 20 people on DDO think? The poll tells you absolutely *nothing.*

I have known many intelligent peolish people who could tell you alot of things!

It suffers from selection bias because only the people who *want* to take your poll actually answer. It is non-representative because DDO is not a representative demographic snapshot of the nation.

In addition, the polls *never* get enough responses to overcome sampling error. Your confidence interval for these polls is going to almost be "plus or minus 50%."

Huh?!??

I agree people should not be used! But that is because they are PEOPLE, not objects! You think we shouldnt use polish people because theyre dumb! thats disguting.
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 10:03:31 PM
fourthed
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 1:47:49 AM
YAY, I beileive I began boycotting the poll section, and even posted a thread that no one payed attention too, im so happy.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:16:19 AM
I agree with this. At first, I liked the polls; but now, the topics are either repetitive or stupid. We should definitely nuke them. Maybe that will alleviate the server problem.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:37:30 AM
The polls attract the attention of more non-members than any other function. More attention=more money= good. If you are unhappy with the polls then note that they are not really here for your specific disposal.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:44:24 AM
At 4/15/2014 4:37:30 AM, Smithereens wrote:
The polls attract the attention of more non-members than any other function. More attention=more money= good. If you are unhappy with the polls then note that they are not really here for your specific disposal.

The polls do not attract the right kind of members.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.