Jump to topic:

When you drink...

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 2:07:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, when you drink, what do you experience?

When I first turned 21. I didn't understand how people "lose" their mental capibilities. So I did an experiement. I ended up drinking 17 shots of rum (that was my drink of choice at the time) and recorded myself over the time frame of that drinking (though I didn't have a breathilizer, so I could only tell how much I had to drink, not how much I had absorbed). To try to find our what it is like to lose the ability to reason.

I found, though IQ tests and questions that my wife asked me, that my (personal) reasoning was not effected (that my have been because I was consiously trying to track it). This was over 2 years ago (I'm thinking of repeating the experiment) and I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar, or wants to say what they experience when drunk.

Personally, I've never had a hangover (the most I've drank in a single night is 23 shots, and I've tried most hard liquors, wine, and beer), even when I've had to get up at 6 am for work. I normally experience a loss of balance, numb lips/teeth, or slow responce in the eye (meaning if I move my eyes from left to right, it takes my brain awhile to process, giving a dizzy feeling if done too much). My vision is not comprimised (I've taken vision tests while drunk multiple times).

Also, please comment on my spelling and logic in this post, as I'm currently at 8 shots tonight.

Thank you.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 2:12:28 AM
On a side note, it is funny that my wife is the cheapest drunk. (one beer and she is done for the night).
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 2:45:42 AM
Also, quick run down on errors.

capibilities
experiement
though
effected
consiously
responce
comprimised

That and an apparent unwillingness to finish sentences succinctly. :P
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 3:02:59 AM
At 2/3/2010 2:49:07 AM, Puck wrote:
This is where an edit posts function would be handy.

breathilizer

Yes, I'll admitt that I normally use safari (on a mac at work, but a PC at home). So at work, safari has a built in spell checker that automatically catches spelling, where IE does not. plus my spelling always sucks, since I focus on science, not english. While that is not a full pardon, most of the words previously listed, I'd mispell, even when sober.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 9:54:00 AM
At 2/3/2010 2:12:28 AM, OreEle wrote:
On a side note, it is funny that my wife is the cheapest drunk. (one beer and she is done for the night).

Funny you mention that because my mom is like that. She can drink a crapload of hard liquor and be fine, but as soon as she gets into the beer she's smashed.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:35:45 AM
What do I experience when I'm drunk?

First off, I don't get drunk from beer unless I'm funneling (which I haven't done in a really long time). Other than that I only drink beer when playing beer pong... but I'm good, so I don't usually have to drink much lol. If I'm having a beer for sh-ts and giggles, I don't drink it fast enough to get drunk.

If I take shots, depending on how nasty it is (I like fruity, girly shots) I will feel warm and a tingly in an unmentionable area almost immediately upon consumption lol... so I guess like you're wife, I'm a cheap drunk but in a different way ;) Yes, alcohol most definitely effects my libido - preferably if I'm buzzed but not overly drunk to the point where I feel sick or like passing out.

The most I've ever drank was 28 shots of various kinds of hard alcohol (I mixed liquors on purpose so that I would puke and not die of alcohol poisoning) on my 21st birthday. That was the first and only time I had even vomited from drinking except for 2 weeks ago when comoncents reccomended I drink with him (lol via DDO) and I drank too fast, got trashed and threw up. Anyway I definitely can attest to lower inhibitions... er, slutty regrets... and dizziness amongst other physical and mental effects. Most people THINK they're acting "perfectly normal" when they're drunk but they're probably not. That's why drinking and driving is so rampant and dangerous.
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:46:06 AM
I've never understood why some people are so liable to getting drunk while drinking beer, yet with liquor they're absolutely fine.

For myself, I rarely get drunk on beer, because it takes so much to do it. Like a couple weeks back, I'm not sure of the size exactly but I drank about 6 tall glasses of Canadian, yet the worst I got was a little buzzed. But compare that to when I shared a bottle of vodka and some Jack Daniels with my roommate, I was puking even the next morning! I don't know if its simply the alcohol percent or what, but its pretty odd.

Anyone got some knowledge as to why this happens?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:56:30 AM
At 2/3/2010 10:35:45 AM, theLwerd wrote:

If I take shots, depending on how nasty it is (I like fruity, girly shots) I will feel warm and a tingly in an unmentionable area almost immediately upon consumption lol...

When I was a teenager my sister gave me some advice which I have treasured to this day. Her exact words to me were:

"Brian, if you are taking a girl out, invest in a bottle of champagne because champagne goes straight to a girl's fanny".

(The word 'fanny' being used in the British sense to mean vagina - in other words she was suggesting that a few glasses of bubbly would have a girl frothing at the gash).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:15:08 AM
That's great advice, Brian -- even if the fanny's not gushing, you still look like a gentleman for getting the champagne :) I don't respond that way to anything short of liquor shots though. Neither beer, wine, champagne or even strong mix drinks will do it -- It has to be a SHOT of something straight and I will feel all tingly there. That said, Volkov, I think the alcohol content is obviously to blame. Your average beer has about 5% whereas your average vodka and rum are around 40%. Hard liquor gets the job done 8x faster, so yeah.
President of DDO
DontBeRacist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:33:48 AM
I don't usually drink excess amounts of alcohol unless it's a special occasion. And when I am drunk I still know how to control myself. I mean sure, I laugh more, eat more and stumble a little. But I don't cause a ruckus.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:44:12 AM
At 2/3/2010 11:33:48 AM, DontBeRacist wrote:
I don't usually drink excess amounts of alcohol unless it's a special occasion. And when I am drunk I still know how to control myself. I mean sure, I laugh more, eat more and stumble a little. But I don't cause a ruckus.

Yeah - being drunk is different than being trashed :p
President of DDO
DontBeRacist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:48:53 AM
At 2/3/2010 11:44:12 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/3/2010 11:33:48 AM, DontBeRacist wrote:

Yeah - being drunk is different than being trashed :p

Haha I've been trashed before plenty. I just stopped going to that level because I can't enjoy my night and remember it. Plus I got tired of buying a new phone charger every time.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:53:47 AM
At 2/3/2010 11:15:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
That said, Volkov, I think the alcohol content is obviously to blame. Your average beer has about 5% whereas your average vodka and rum are around 40%. Hard liquor gets the job done 8x faster, so yeah.

But what about people that are the opposite - the ones who get drunk on beer quickly, but can stay afloat for awhile on hard liquor?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:39:59 PM
At 2/3/2010 12:18:04 PM, True2GaGa wrote:
Stupidness
Hyperness

You're 14. Don't pretend you're hot sh*t and drink.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:41:27 PM
Hahah that's a great idea... I may just have Lwerd keep statistics on my mental faculties on Saturday when I turn 21 :D
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:42:09 PM
At 2/3/2010 12:39:59 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Stupidness
Hyperness

Never said I was "hot sh*t"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:44:24 PM
At 2/3/2010 12:42:09 PM, True2GaGa wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:39:59 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Stupidness
Hyperness

Never said I was "hot sh*t"

You're implying it. "Hey look, at me, 7 years before I'm supposed to legally drink!!!"
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:05:55 PM
At 2/3/2010 11:53:47 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 11:15:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
That said, Volkov, I think the alcohol content is obviously to blame. Your average beer has about 5% whereas your average vodka and rum are around 40%. Hard liquor gets the job done 8x faster, so yeah.

But what about people that are the opposite - the ones who get drunk on beer quickly, but can stay afloat for awhile on hard liquor?

Haha you're right! I didn't address the whole point... Anyway I think it happens for psychological reasons instead of physical reasons. Taste might be a factor. For instance I don't drink beer often, so when I do, it's an unfamiliar alcoholic taste and therefore I associate it with being drunk... so I feel drunker or think I'm drunker than I really am. Something to that effect. It might not be scientific proof lol but it's my personal take on it anyway.
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:08:44 PM
At 2/3/2010 1:05:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Haha you're right! I didn't address the whole point... Anyway I think it happens for psychological reasons instead of physical reasons. Taste might be a factor. For instance I don't drink beer often, so when I do, it's an unfamiliar alcoholic taste and therefore I associate it with being drunk... so I feel drunker or think I'm drunker than I really am. Something to that effect. It might not be scientific proof lol but it's my personal take on it anyway.

Thats an interesting theory, and it probably isn't as far-fetched as it is at first glace. I've read somewhere before that your attitudes towards food and drink can affect the taste, so maybe it can work in reverse, and what you taste can affect your attitude?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 3:07:34 PM
At 2/3/2010 1:08:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
Thats an interesting theory, and it probably isn't as far-fetched as it is at first glace. I've read somewhere before that your attitudes towards food and drink can affect the taste, so maybe it can work in reverse, and what you taste can affect your attitude?

Expectancy effects interact with most drugs, not just alcohol. It's an interesting phenomenon.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 4:09:51 PM
At 2/3/2010 3:07:34 PM, Puck wrote:

Expectancy effects interact with most drugs, not just alcohol. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Very true, but an experienced user doesn't buy into that placebo sh-t. I can tell a bum pill from a real one, and I snub my nose at crappy weed. Take my dinner date tonight with Vi for instance: With my first drink, I didn't taste any alcohol whatsoever and I had the waiter bring me out a stronger drink afterward. Even then I didn't feel buzzed so I'm not going to fake it. Most of the time people convince themselves they're "messed up" when they're really not. I'm in a co-ed frat so I saw it all the time... I'd bar tend and sometimes give girls crappy drinks; a few minutes later they'd stumble back to the bar talking about how they were "so trashed" meanwhile I knew for a fact I watered their sh-t down (hey it's not like they were paying for it). Such phonies lol. I don't know why people think being "messed up" is cool. It is what it is - you are or you aren't.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 4:19:18 PM
At 2/3/2010 4:09:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Very true, but an experienced user doesn't buy into that placebo sh-t. I can tell a bum pill from a real one, and I snub my nose at crappy weed. Take my dinner date tonight with Vi for instance: With my first drink, I didn't taste any alcohol whatsoever and I had the waiter bring me out a stronger drink afterward. Even then I didn't feel buzzed so I'm not going to fake it. Most of the time people convince themselves they're "messed up" when they're really not. I'm in a co-ed frat so I saw it all the time... I'd bar tend and sometimes give girls crappy drinks; a few minutes later they'd stumble back to the bar talking about how they were "so trashed" meanwhile I knew for a fact I watered their sh-t down (hey it's not like they were paying for it). Such phonies lol. I don't know why people think being "messed up" is cool. It is what it is - you are or you aren't.

I don't know why, usually it is associated with being "wild" and "crazy" and that is what they long for. So some people will pretend to be "wasted" just so they can get that image. They are also usually the skanks that sleep around for the same reason (to be "wild and crazy").
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 4:26:52 PM
At 2/3/2010 4:09:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Very true, but an experienced user doesn't buy into that placebo sh-t. I can tell a bum pill from a real one, and I snub my nose at crappy weed.

Haha yeah, meant more that even if given that the drug is at a competent level, expectancy can influence ones reaction when it's taken (general bad vs. good experience for example). Also there is a lot of fun research on the behavioural cues to drug resistance (different effects depending on where you take it, novel vs. usual locations).
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 4:53:19 PM
Yes, Puck, that's definitely really interesting. It's a fact that your location, mood and company effect your experience.
President of DDO
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 3:35:30 PM
At 2/3/2010 10:46:06 AM, Volkov wrote:
I've never understood why some people are so liable to getting drunk while drinking beer, yet with liquor they're absolutely fine.

For myself, I rarely get drunk on beer, because it takes so much to do it. Like a couple weeks back, I'm not sure of the size exactly but I drank about 6 tall glasses of Canadian, yet the worst I got was a little buzzed.

Lol, there's your problem. I love the Molson ads but the beer is pure shite (coincidentally it is owned by Coors aka Queers, which is also shite). What I have found is that no matter the alcohol content, if the beer tastes like watered-down piss, it takes a lot more of it to get drunk. If you want a good Canadian beer, drink Steamwhistle, Moosehead, Keith's or Rickard's Red (Rickard's being one of the few Molson-Coors brands that doesn't suck). Sleeman also has a few good beers, just stay away from anything that says 'clear' or 'light'. Or if you're in the US, I'm not familiar with any where near all of their beers, but I really like Sam Adam's.

Still, it's hard to get drunk on beer if you don't have the stomach or the patience to drink enough of it. But i find it to be far more enjoyable than any hard liquor... maybe with the exception of Jagger (which is actually a liqueur) .
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 6:56:22 AM
At 2/3/2010 10:46:06 AM, Volkov wrote:

For myself, I rarely get drunk on beer, because it takes so much to do it. Like a couple weeks back, I'm not sure of the size exactly but I drank about 6 tall glasses of Canadian, yet the worst I got was a little buzzed. But compare that to when I shared a bottle of vodka and some Jack Daniels with my roommate, I was puking even the next morning! I don't know if its simply the alcohol percent or what, but its pretty odd.

Anyone got some knowledge as to why this happens?

I've bolded the word that explains why you got so hammered on spirits. I have no scientific explanation but enough annecdotal experience to say that when you combine different drinks (especially different spirits or wine and spirits) you get way more drunk. That's why some cocktails can mess you up quick too.

With weak lager, you probably need to drink about 10 pints to get properly sloshed, try switching to a premier (5%+) brand.