Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

I'm losing two debates ... impossible to lose

Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 9:22:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This one is literally impossible due to the conditions agreed upon by accepting the debate.

http://www.debate.org...

This one simply says that you cannot have a four-sided triangle

http://www.debate.org...

What the heck??
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 9:43:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 9:22:00 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
This one is literally impossible due to the conditions agreed upon by accepting the debate.

http://www.debate.org...

This one simply says that you cannot have a four-sided triangle

http://www.debate.org...


What the heck??

Stop creating 200 character debates that are impossible for anyone to argue against. That's stupid. You don't deserve to lose these debates, but you do deserve to be booted from the site if you keep creating these bs spam debates.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:20:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 9:43:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/15/2014 9:22:00 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
This one is literally impossible due to the conditions agreed upon by accepting the debate.

http://www.debate.org...

This one simply says that you cannot have a four-sided triangle

http://www.debate.org...


What the heck??

Stop creating 200 character debates that are impossible for anyone to argue against. That's stupid. You don't deserve to lose these debates, but you do deserve to be booted from the site if you keep creating these bs spam debates.

I don't know...people who debate truisms need to be discouraged from doing so.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:28:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm tempted to policy vote him down and ask him to debate me if he has a problem with the RFDs. Make him earn his voting rights.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:30:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 10:28:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm tempted to policy vote him down and ask him to debate me if he has a problem with the RFDs. Make him earn his voting rights.

I'm tempted to see your argument for our debate. I will certainly be impressed if you have sufficient rebuttals.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:32:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 10:20:44 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 4/15/2014 9:43:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/15/2014 9:22:00 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
This one is literally impossible due to the conditions agreed upon by accepting the debate.

http://www.debate.org...

This one simply says that you cannot have a four-sided triangle

http://www.debate.org...


What the heck??

Stop creating 200 character debates that are impossible for anyone to argue against. That's stupid. You don't deserve to lose these debates, but you do deserve to be booted from the site if you keep creating these bs spam debates.

I don't know...people who debate truisms need to be discouraged from doing so.

Then vote against him. I'd support you in doing so.... It's just no one who voted against him so far mentioned that the topic was a truism. They just said his opponent was more persuasive -- basically bs RFD's.

But I agree -- he deserves to be punished somehow for instigating debates like this. Corporal punishment would be preferable. Or make him play the biscuit game.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:44:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 10:30:09 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/15/2014 10:28:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm tempted to policy vote him down and ask him to debate me if he has a problem with the RFDs. Make him earn his voting rights.

I'm tempted to see your argument for our debate. I will certainly be impressed if you have sufficient rebuttals.

I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't. Foreign aid is politically unpopular for a reason -- it is a theft from Americans who need and deserve the aid more. A nation's first obligation is to its own. Using our tax revenue to feed Africans when Americans are starving is immoral under basic IR principles. Furthermore, the aid-distribution networks in Africa are so corrupt that very little aid is actually effective. It mostly empowers warlords and power brokers who intercept it. Your implicit premises that aid somehow improves foreign relations or trade are fundamentally flawed. People have short memories and little awareness of aid, and the amount we send is too small for us to gain a soft power advantage from it. And it doesn't buy African countries enough purchasing power to ever substantially contribute to our GDP by boosting our exports to Africa. Only successful capitalist expansion is capable of significantly boosting purchasing power, and capitalism is not particularly helped along by foreign aid, except perhaps in the form of micro-loans. Your premise that we can exploit cheap African labor is pretty flawed because it assumes that sufficient transportation infrastructure are in place. China is an attractive option only because most of its factories are directly on its east coast, right by the ocean. Many African nations are landlocked, which would require transportation of finished goods over multiple dirt roads that run through hostile countryside, and even when they reach the ocean, there is a significant risk of piracy [see, e.g., Captain Phillips].
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
KaileyFox
Posts: 156
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:44:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 9:22:00 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
This one is literally impossible due to the conditions agreed upon by accepting the debate.

http://www.debate.org...

This one simply says that you cannot have a four-sided triangle

http://www.debate.org...


What the heck??

You should just be glad the planet didn't explode yet because of that first one. It's basically like dividing by zero... (Btw, I'm being factious. Hope you're one of the few people that can tell.)
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:58:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 10:44:22 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/15/2014 10:30:09 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/15/2014 10:28:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm tempted to policy vote him down and ask him to debate me if he has a problem with the RFDs. Make him earn his voting rights.

I'm tempted to see your argument for our debate. I will certainly be impressed if you have sufficient rebuttals.

I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't. Foreign aid is politically unpopular for a reason -- it is a theft from Americans who need and deserve the aid more. A nation's first obligation is to its own. Using our tax revenue to feed Africans when Americans are starving is immoral under basic IR principles. Furthermore, the aid-distribution networks in Africa are so corrupt that very little aid is actually effective. It mostly empowers warlords and power brokers who intercept it. Your implicit premises that aid somehow improves foreign relations or trade are fundamentally flawed. People have short memories and little awareness of aid, and the amount we send is too small for us to gain a soft power advantage from it. And it doesn't buy African countries enough purchasing power to ever substantially contribute to our GDP by boosting our exports to Africa. Only successful capitalist expansion is capable of significantly boosting purchasing power, and capitalism is not particularly helped along by foreign aid, except perhaps in the form of micro-loans. Your premise that we can exploit cheap African labor is pretty flawed because it assumes that sufficient transportation infrastructure are in place. China is an attractive option only because most of its factories are directly on its east coast, right by the ocean. Many African nations are landlocked, which would require transportation of finished goods over multiple dirt roads that run through hostile countryside, and even when they reach the ocean, there is a significant risk of piracy [see, e.g., Captain Phillips].

The debate is further investments, and not aid. We had a long argument over this. I'll be arguing that we should invest more in africa's growing markets, and not politically support the rulers.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 11:08:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/15/2014 10:58:07 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/15/2014 10:44:22 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/15/2014 10:30:09 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/15/2014 10:28:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm tempted to policy vote him down and ask him to debate me if he has a problem with the RFDs. Make him earn his voting rights.

I'm tempted to see your argument for our debate. I will certainly be impressed if you have sufficient rebuttals.

I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't. Foreign aid is politically unpopular for a reason -- it is a theft from Americans who need and deserve the aid more. A nation's first obligation is to its own. Using our tax revenue to feed Africans when Americans are starving is immoral under basic IR principles. Furthermore, the aid-distribution networks in Africa are so corrupt that very little aid is actually effective. It mostly empowers warlords and power brokers who intercept it. Your implicit premises that aid somehow improves foreign relations or trade are fundamentally flawed. People have short memories and little awareness of aid, and the amount we send is too small for us to gain a soft power advantage from it. And it doesn't buy African countries enough purchasing power to ever substantially contribute to our GDP by boosting our exports to Africa. Only successful capitalist expansion is capable of significantly boosting purchasing power, and capitalism is not particularly helped along by foreign aid, except perhaps in the form of micro-loans. Your premise that we can exploit cheap African labor is pretty flawed because it assumes that sufficient transportation infrastructure are in place. China is an attractive option only because most of its factories are directly on its east coast, right by the ocean. Many African nations are landlocked, which would require transportation of finished goods over multiple dirt roads that run through hostile countryside, and even when they reach the ocean, there is a significant risk of piracy [see, e.g., Captain Phillips].

The debate is further investments, and not aid. We had a long argument over this. I'll be arguing that we should invest more in africa's growing markets, and not politically support the rulers.

This is your debate with kleptin all over again.... It is incoherent to say that the US Federal government should "invest" in Africa, but that investment does not mean foreign aid. The US government is not in the business of investing in private companies. That is either a loan (that the government expects to be paid back) or a "subsidy" (which the government doesn't expect to be paid back, but then that counts as "foreign aid").

Anyway, this still presumes that we should invest taxpayer money abroad when our own economy is still hurting and that the government is good at picking winners and losers when it comes to the private sector [see, e.g., Solyndra].
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 11:09:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I really hate guys who do this.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 12:00:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Wrong thread.
2. This thread is in fact an extra round of rebuttals to the arguments. Major conduct violation.

You may request votes for a debate, but not tell people they have to vote for you because X, Y, and Z is an [explicit] move.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 1:36:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
so has anyone seen he game last night......, it was a rerun you say...........crap.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:30:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
oh wow lol even Bluesteel is angry. You'd better run!!
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...