Jump to topic:

ClassicRobert's 2nd Gauntlet Tournament

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 11:57:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The previous gauntlet tournament had the challenger RoyLatham make his way all the way up to the top of the tower, only to be defeated by the last guard, Thett3. So now will begin my second gauntlet tournament!

There will be a tower of five debaters. These debaters will be ranked from lowest seed to highest seed. This will not necessarily be determined by elo.

A challenger will then step up. This challenger must make his/her way through the entire tower of debaters undefeated, and if the challenger wins, he will be the first winner of the Gauntlet (which, to clarify, is not a physical award).

However, if the challenger loses any debates in the challenge-tower, the gauntlet is reset and a new challenger will have the opportunity to try to win the Gauntlet!

Within three days of the Gauntlet beginning, the challenger must PM me with the topic for the first debate, as agreed upon by both debaters. This is intended to be a serious tournament, and troll topics or excessively pop-culture based debates ("Miley Cyrus is worse than Hannah Montana" "The Broncos are the best football team ever") are not acceptable for the Gauntlet. The debate must then start within three days of my approval.

Debates will be 4 rounds (with the first round being for declaration of rules and acceptance), and will be 4000 to 8000 characters (or, if the debaters choose to, a recorded video debate) at the debaters discretion. The voting period can be however long the debaters want, but for the sake of rapid progression of the tournament, the winner will be declared after three days. If the challenger wins, the next topic must be sent to me within three days, and the debate will be started three days later, and so on.

For both the challenger and the guard spots, it will not be first come first serve. The strongest debaters will be picked at my discretion. For the judge spots, I need people who really want to commit to judging every debate in the tournament and giving a decent rfd. Though anyone will be allowed to vote on the debates, the judges should vote on every debate.

So without further ado, let the sign-up begin!

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Judges (note that there is no limit on the number of judges; if you want to be a judge and there are no numbers available, just add a number to the list):
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ManofFewWords
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 11:59:44 AM
At 4/19/2014 11:57:35 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. ManofFewWords

Judges (note that there is no limit on the number of judges; if you want to be a judge and there are no numbers available, just add a number to the list):
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:06:45 PM
At 4/19/2014 11:59:44 AM, ManofFewWords wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

I apologize ManofFewWords, but you appear to be a little too inexperienced on this site for me to justify putting you in as a guard. However, it looks like you're getting a lot of practice in now, so maybe by the time I start the next gauntlet tournament I'll be able to accept you.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:11:01 PM
I'd be interested in being a guard or judge. Not sure I can handle being the challenger!
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:18:41 PM
The previous gauntlet tournament had the challenger RoyLatham make his way all the way up to the top of the tower, only to be defeated by the last guard, Thett3. So now will begin my second gauntlet tournament!

There will be a tower of five debaters. These debaters will be ranked from lowest seed to highest seed. This will not necessarily be determined by elo.

A challenger will then step up. This challenger must make his/her way through the entire tower of debaters undefeated, and if the challenger wins, he will be the first winner of the Gauntlet (which, to clarify, is not a physical award).

However, if the challenger loses any debates in the challenge-tower, the gauntlet is reset and a new challenger will have the opportunity to try to win the Gauntlet!

Within three days of the Gauntlet beginning, the challenger must PM me with the topic for the first debate, as agreed upon by both debaters. This is intended to be a serious tournament, and troll topics or excessively pop-culture based debates ("Miley Cyrus is worse than Hannah Montana" "The Broncos are the best football team ever") are not acceptable for the Gauntlet. The debate must then start within three days of my approval.

Debates will be 4 rounds (with the first round being for declaration of rules and acceptance), and will be 4000 to 8000 characters (or, if the debaters choose to, a recorded video debate) at the debaters discretion. The voting period can be however long the debaters want, but for the sake of rapid progression of the tournament, the winner will be declared after three days. If the challenger wins, the next topic must be sent to me within three days, and the debate will be started three days later, and so on.

For both the challenger and the guard spots, it will not be first come first serve. The strongest debaters will be picked at my discretion. For the judge spots, I need people who really want to commit to judging every debate in the tournament and giving a decent rfd. Though anyone will be allowed to vote on the debates, the judges should vote on every debate.

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

1. Romanii

Voting samples...
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:19:14 PM

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

I'd actually be interested in being the challenger, if I knew in advance (1) who the judges were and (2) the five topics to be debated. It's been a while since I've debated... and I'm feeling like this might be fun.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:22:08 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:19:14 PM, YYW wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

I'd actually be interested in being the challenger, if I knew in advance (1) who the judges were and (2) the five topics to be debated. It's been a while since I've debated... and I'm feeling like this might be fun.

The topics are mutually decided by the debaters, and we'll see who all expresses interest. I'll keep you in mind for the time being though since you are unsure.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:24:31 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:22:08 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 4/19/2014 12:19:14 PM, YYW wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

The topics are mutually decided by the debaters, and we'll see who all expresses interest. I'll keep you in mind for the time being though since you are unsure.

The thing is that unless people like Bladerunner or other voters on his level were the judges, I'm not interested in this at all. So, my interest is quite literally contingent on who the judges are.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:27:44 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:24:41 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/19/2014 12:22:07 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm down.

For what?
Challenger or Guard?

I'm down for anything.
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:32:29 PM

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Could I be a challenger?
Dude... Stop...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:36:59 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:32:29 PM, Fanath wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Could I be a challenger?

You do know what kind of debaters sign up as tower guards, right?
They were planning on getting bluesteel, Raisor, and Roy for this one... XD
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:40:38 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:36:59 PM, Romanii wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Could I be a challenger?

Well, I'll try to get it... Most (if not all) of my arguments are last second panic...
Dude... Stop...
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:41:46 PM
...I'll think on it. At the very least I'll sign up as a judge, though given the nomination, I may be playing a bigger role.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:47:02 PM

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Could I be a challenger?

Haha I had no real previous plans on who will be participating, but I will be making this tower as difficult as I can. If any of those debaters are interested, I would love nothing more than to have them defending the gauntlet.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 12:48:23 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:47:02 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Could I be a challenger?

Haha I had no real previous plans on who will be participating, but I will be making this tower as difficult as I can. If any of those debaters are interested, I would love nothing more than to have them defending the gauntlet.

Mikal was talkin' about it during Live Mafia last night, so I just assumed he's in on it...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:10:26 PM
I am interested in defending the tower, with the caveats that (1) it depends on the judges (same caveat as YYW) and (2) that I cannot do any debating for the next 3 weeks.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:15:16 PM
At 4/19/2014 1:10:26 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I am interested in defending the tower, with the caveats that (1) it depends on the judges (same caveat as YYW) and (2) that I cannot do any debating for the next 3 weeks.

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with timing (you will likely be very high on the tower), and we'll talk after judges have been picked.

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:15:30 PM
At 4/19/2014 12:33:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I'll be a guard again if you want.

I would love to have you guard.

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:18:43 PM
Slight rule change:

For the sake of the tournament, only official judge votes will count. If you would like to judge, please include some voting samples as TN05 did so I can see if I can accept you. As stated earlier, if you are selected as a judge, you will be expected to vote on all gauntlet debates.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:28:13 PM
At 4/19/2014 1:18:43 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Slight rule change:

For the sake of the tournament, only official judge votes will count. If you would like to judge, please include some voting samples as TN05 did so I can see if I can accept you. As stated earlier, if you are selected as a judge, you will be expected to vote on all gauntlet debates.

I did provide some samples... you didn't respond XD
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:39:22 PM
Hmmmm.....This is intriguing. I might want to be a challenger. If not qualified, I'd like to be a judge.
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:41:10 PM
If Bluesteel is a guard I do not want to be challenger. If I'm qualified can I be guard?
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:41:39 PM
At 4/19/2014 1:35:50 PM, Zaradi wrote:
If I say I want to vote do I really have to provide voting samples?

Nah, I've seen your votes before. You're good.