Total Posts:101|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I am bluesteel, AMAA

bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 4:47:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
AMAA - ask me almost anything

Same way this works on Reddit. Ask me a question and I will respond to it (unless it is too doxx'y or implicates me in a crime).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:00:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.

1. Are you a he?

2. What is your research field?
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:01:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:00:33 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.

1. Are you a he?

2. What is your research field?

Why are you asking me?
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:01:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:01:06 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/20/2014 5:00:33 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.

1. Are you a he?

2. What is your research field?

Why are you asking me?

Lol, sorry, wrong reply!
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:01:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Are you a he?

2. What is your research field?
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:14:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.

Answer: no I was not here. But now I am afraid.... Very afraid.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:15:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:14:08 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.

Answer: no I was not here. But now I am afraid.... Very afraid.

Let's just hope you don't start another AMA epidemic
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:18:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:15:22 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/20/2014 5:14:08 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/20/2014 4:48:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Lol, were you here when everyone was doing these in the Personal Forum? It just got stupid.

Answer: no I was not here. But now I am afraid.... Very afraid.

Let's just hope you don't start another AMA epidemic

Maybe I should do one of these.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:19:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1) What led to you towards Law School?
2) How was it during that first year when you have to kinda decide which path of law to pursue?
3) What are some common requisites that the school appreciated when it came to your own application process?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:19:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:01:51 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
1. Are you a he?

Yes, but kbub would probably object to the question because it presumes gender is binary. I self-identify as male and was born was male [I learned -- from studying trangender people and Title VII law -- that this is the correct way to answer this question].

Being a she is kinda fun though. I've been hit on twice while on the site since my gender change. And thett3 and I have started gabbing a lot more; I think our cycles have synced up.


2. What is your research field?

Law. It doesn't really get more specific than that in law school. But I've taken classes on contracts, torts, property, criminal law, consumer protection, etc. I've supposedly been trained to answer any legal question, given enough time and access to a legal search database like Westlaw or Lexis. That's all law school really trains you to do -- how to find the answer. It doesn't really teach you all the answers. It's impossible to do so anyway since the laws are really different in each state.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:20:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:18:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Maybe I should do one of these.

You should. I have so many questions.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:22:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 4:47:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
AMAA - ask me almost anything

Same way this works on Reddit. Ask me a question and I will respond to it (unless it is too doxx'y or implicates me in a crime).

This belongs in the "Personal" section.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:28:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:19:09 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1) What led to you towards Law School?

Debate -- I learned to like researching, crafting arguments, and winning. All of which you get to do in high stakes litigation (at least hopefully on the latter).

I was also making next to nothing teaching. I might have continued doing that, but my earning potential was too bleak. Pay is definitely the primary reason we don't have smarter people teaching our kids... The opportunity cost for a really bright person is just too steep.

2) How was it during that first year when you have to kinda decide which path of law to pursue?

Actually, law schools don't let you pick your classes first year. You have to take: civil procedure, criminal law, torts, contracts, property, and a legal writing course.

3) What are some common requisites that the school appreciated when it came to your own application process?

Getting into law school is *heavily* dependent on your LSAT score and GPA. That's pretty much all that mattered. And there are clear cutoff points. My GPA and LSAT were at the low-end for the top 5 schools, put me at the high-end for the next 5, put me high enough that everyone below that was throwing scholarship money at me.

Your personal statement kind of matters a bit to set you apart. I like to think that I wrote a pretty good one. Writing *style* matters more than having something amazing to say. I'm definitely not one of those people who got to write "I invented a major device for science project at age 12" or "I went to save starving children in Africa for 5 years." I wrote about pretty mundane things (job experiences mostly), but in a way that showcased who I am as a person.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:30:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:25:27 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
DDO, where Debate.org is the Misc section and the Misc section is the Funny section and the Philosophy section is the Religion section.

Science is also the religion section.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:30:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:22:18 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
This belongs in the "Personal" section.

A lot of interview segments are posted in this section.

Anyway, *I am Debate.org.* We all are. The site wouldn't be great without the 30 or so users on here that make it worth my time. That's my reasoning for why this and other interviews should be posted here.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:33:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:30:10 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/20/2014 5:25:27 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
DDO, where Debate.org is the Misc section and the Misc section is the Funny section and the Philosophy section is the Religion section.

Science is also the religion section.

Society is also the News, Science (sociology?), and Religion sections.

And posts about video games -- ironically -- belong in the Entertainment forum and not the Games forum.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:39:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:30:58 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/20/2014 5:22:18 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
This belongs in the "Personal" section.

A lot of interview segments are posted in this section.

Anyway, *I am Debate.org.* We all are. The site wouldn't be great without the 30 or so users on here that make it worth my time. That's my reasoning for why this and other interviews should be posted here.

Debate.org wasn't mean to be a Reddit front-page, only a place for DDO issues and voting-related matters. But I guess they f*cked up when they called it "Debate.org" as opposed to "Issues" or "Issues and Requests".
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:40:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Any plans to debate any of the other top 10, or Mikal? :-p
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:43:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:30:10 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/20/2014 5:25:27 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
DDO, where Debate.org is the Misc section and the Misc section is the Funny section and the Philosophy section is the Religion section.

Science is also the religion section.

The below is entirely satire. Don't post it on the Weekly Stupid, Ghost of Imabench.

Scientists are probably going to turn into a religion when the period of "normal science" is over and intergalactic colonization requires a system of propaganda and indoctrinated control, knowing that Science already has a great power in governmental decisions based on scientific studies which are not always accurate because of the "file-drawer effect" and all those deceitful tactics scientists have beneath their white sleeves[S]. Isaac Asimov Scfi much?
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:43:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:37:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Is a Llama a fruit or a vegetable?

lol, vegetable. Definitely a vegetable: http://www.permacultureproject.com...

[inside joke -- mikal thought a llama was a fruit]
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:48:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Bluesteel, I noticed that in the Australian kiddie p-rn debate, Rross wanted to accept, but Jjfpop accepted before her or something and forfeited the debate for an unknown reason, making the whole thing an utter disappointment. Can you debate Rross on Australian Kiddie P-rn?

I should warn you though, you're great and all that, but you're no Rross.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:51:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:40:49 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
Any plans to debate any of the other top 10, or Mikal? :-p

I want to debate Roy this summer; hopefully we can agree on a topic. That's often the hardest part.

I'm still hoping mikal will debate me on organ markets. Ore_Ele has pointed out why mikal's position is hard to win, but I'm hoping Mikal will defend his stance [against allowing people to sell their organs].

The only other debaters in the top 10 who are still active are Ore_Ele, kleptin, and thett3. Thett and I have debate before (over whether we should implement a "rape penalty" - where we rape rapists). It's a good read if you're interested.

I'd like to debate Ore_Ele and kleptin at some point. Ore_Ele and I both really hate defending extreme positions though, so I imagine it would be really hard to agree on a topic. But I vaguely remember that there was some oil topic in the past that we disagreed on enough to debate about it.

YYW and I also have plans to debate on whether the US should substantially decrease its military spending.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 5:55:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 5:48:58 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Bluesteel, I noticed that in the Australian kiddie p-rn debate, Rross wanted to accept, but Jjfpop accepted before her or something and forfeited the debate for an unknown reason, making the whole thing an utter disappointment. Can you debate Rross on Australian Kiddie P-rn?

Sure. I'm willing to defend the same position again -- that Australia should not criminalize virtual pornography that depicts fictional characters, even if those characters "appear underage."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Romanii
Posts: 4,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:06:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 4:47:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
AMAA - ask me almost anything

Same way this works on Reddit. Ask me a question and I will respond to it (unless it is too doxx'y or implicates me in a crime).

Who would you say is the best debater on the site?

Am I a loser?

What else should I ask you?
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:20:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 4:47:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
AMAA - ask me almost anything

Same way this works on Reddit. Ask me a question and I will respond to it (unless it is too doxx'y or implicates me in a crime).

Hi. How are you?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:20:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 6:06:54 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/20/2014 4:47:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
AMAA - ask me almost anything

Same way this works on Reddit. Ask me a question and I will respond to it (unless it is too doxx'y or implicates me in a crime).

Who would you say is the best debater on the site?

me or raisor. It'd be harder to say if danielle or J.Kenyon were still around.

That's not to say that everyone else isn't really really really good, but someone who has classic training in competitive debate is always going to have an edge.

I'll also note that I have left certain people out of the analysis completely (like bsh, YYW) simply because I haven't read any of their debates. My opinion might be different if I had. So I'm definitely -- full disclosure -- operating on incomplete data here.



Am I a loser?


No, what makes you say that? I thought your interview with eSocial was great. Keep being great.

What else should I ask you?

Whatever you want.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 6:21:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/20/2014 6:20:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 4/20/2014 4:47:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
AMAA - ask me almost anything

Same way this works on Reddit. Ask me a question and I will respond to it (unless it is too doxx'y or implicates me in a crime).

Hi. How are you?

Good :) Pretty burnt out on studying (if you can't tell by how much time I'm spending on here today vs. yesterday.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)