Jump to topic:

I'm Going to Copy Bluesteel, AMA

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:07:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I saw Bluesteel's topic, and just couldn't resist.

Ask me whatever you'd like -- not almost everything, but everything (within reason, of course). I'll either answer, or completely dodge, as you'd expect from any politician.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:22:42 PM
At 4/20/2014 8:07:08 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Ask me whatever you'd like -- not almost everything, but everything (within reason, of course). I'll either answer, or completely dodge, as you'd expect from any politician.

1. What brought you to DDO?

2. What made you want to stay?

3. Who are your five favorite people here?

4. Read any good books lately? What did you like about them? (fiction or nonfiction is cool)

5. Why are you liberal/progressive? How do you think you could persuade others to also be liberal/progressive?

6. Ever done campaign work?

7. What would you do for a klondike bar?
Tsar of DDO
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:31:20 PM
1. Why don't you have a pic of yourself?
2. What's your favorite thing about DDO?
3. Who do you admire (whether IRL or here on DDO)?
AND
4. What's your least favorite topic in general?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:45:39 PM
At 4/20/2014 8:22:42 PM, YYW wrote:

1. What brought you to DDO?

It's an underwhelming story, actually. I googled something in relation to the 2012 election -- probably something to do with Mitt Romney's secret tax plan (mind you, at the time I was still an archconservative) -- and came upon a debate on this site. I didn't think much of it at the time, and honestly, I thought the mechanics were lacking. It wasn't until much, much later that I found this site again while conducting research for a paper, and found that there actually were/are a number of people who take these debates quite seriously and are committed to a degree of a academic rigor not found elsewhere on the net, which I suppose is what drew me here.

2. What made you want to stay?

Ahh, I knew this was coming, haha (unless this isn't referring to my almost-goodbye thread, and I'm not sure if it is). If you mean what made me stay after initially joining, I suppose my answer is that I found a few really exceptional initial debates and was stunned at how much fun I was having and facts I was learning as I went along.

As for why I stayed after the "goodbye" thread, I think it was actually you and a few others who convinced me to stay. It was largely a realization that working to change the site is much more effective than simply throwing in the towel.

3. Who are your five favorite people here?

Darn, you're throwing me on the spot hahaha.

Ok, in no particular order: Mikal, Wylted, tylergraham, GCL, and jifpop.

I'm definitely forgetting someone and there are certainly more people to list than that.

4. Read any good books lately? What did you like about them? (fiction or nonfiction is cool)

Another good question. The most recent book I read for my international econ class was "The Choice: A fable of free trade and protectionism" which is a fictional story grounded in real economic theory -- I guess you could call it fiction, since it's so incredibly neoclassical, and rational expectations theory is inherent in almost every word. But I quite enjoyed it because it made me see trade, an issue I hadn't thought much of prior to it, in a completely different light, and is largely what converted me from a protectionist to a neoliberal on this particular issue.

5. Why are you liberal/progressive? How do you think you could persuade others to also be liberal/progressive?

Well, I started as a super conservative Ron Paul supporter. My first semester of college, for instance, I wrote three papers, one calling for the end of the Federal Reserve, another for an end to the 16th amendment, and the third for total nuclear disarmament. So, I was always quite liberal on issues having to do with culture and war, but not so much on economics. That was a result of a life-changing (and I don't say that lightly) Macro class during my second semester (short timeframe to change my worldview, but alas it happens at times). The prof had us draw Ricardo's Corn Model and use it to justify supply-side economics, which ultimately could be boiled down to this: squint, leave out this part of the model entirely, make this assumption, that assumption, that assumption, and assume the system won't implode from within. Then I started reading people of this persuasion (largely because he had us reading them, honestly): Krugman, Stiglitz, Reich, etc. And I guess their work inspired me by showing that I was, frankly, quite mistaken in my worldview.

I guess my point isn't that I was wrong and that all conservatives should accept that and disband their ideology. I guess, if I were to encourage someone to become liberal or progressive -- because I do think there are a lot of progressive issues, be they climate change, economic inequality, gay rights, etc. that only progressives truly want to tackle -- I would simply ask that people read academic literature outside of their comfort zone and set aside time to really research and dig deep. Confirmation bias can be a giant jerk at times, but it may be that this method may change your world view in some ways, and maintain it in others. For instance, I'm a progressive who loves free trade. Pretty weird, huh?

6. Ever done campaign work?

I volunteered for one event for former Sen. Scott Brown when he was campaigning in 2012, but I was largely disenchanted with the entire political process at the time because I was still very libertarian, and well, he's not a libertarian.

7. What would you do for a klondike bar?

I'm ashamed to say that I had to Google that.

If I'm understanding your question currently, you're asking to what degree I would degrade myself for an angelic klondlike bar, right? I don't know, to be honest. I'm not a big fan of ice cream haha. So, I suppose not much.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:48:34 PM
At 4/20/2014 8:31:20 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
1. Why don't you have a pic of yourself?

Laziness. lol.

2. What's your favorite thing about DDO?

Speaking to like-minded people, I suppose -- not like-minded in the sense that every agrees with me, because surely they do not, but like-minded as it pertains to sharing common interests.

3. Who do you admire (whether IRL or here on DDO)?

"Admire" is a pretty strong word that I honestly would reserve for role models. So, referring back to my last post, I'd point to the economists who changed my worldview (Robert Reich, Paul Krugman, Joe Stiglitz, among others) as well as my former (and current, actually) econ prof who challenged me to read pieces outside of my comfort zone.

AND
4. What's your least favorite topic in general?

War and poverty. I can't pick between the two of them, to be honest. If there's anything in the world that could ever get me to tear up, it's them. If I could wave a magic wand and put an end to both of them, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:53:40 PM
At 4/20/2014 8:33:45 PM, Aithlin wrote:
Why are you studying economics?

A lot of factors, actually. I was on an debate team when I was high school, and the teacher constantly placed me in the economics rounds for some reason. In fact, when I left high school, even after having taken AP Micro, I was planning on majoring in history and politics, or history and english, or something of the sort, since I was planning to go to law school. That led to about a 20-minute lecture on why I shouldn't drop economics, and how he found that I had talent, and so forth and so on -- a bunch of stuff that went in one ear and out the other.

Then came my first semester of college as a history-polisci double major, and I honestly hated it. I was so incredibly bored, and found myself looking for excuses to dodge my own work to go and help my roommates who were struggling with their introductory Micro coursework. So, after I transferred, economics seemed like the best option, especially because it's a pretty good pre-law-school major, anyway. Well, then I found, by chance, that amazing Macro class, which is what did it for me.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:01:03 PM
Haha! Laziness is a lame excuse haha! Jk
Well that's interesting....
Hmmmmm, I can understand that then.
Awe, I know what you mean, wish there was more I could do too.

Oh, do you think I should create a thread like this too? Lol
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:04:22 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:01:03 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

You really should, but I feel that you'd probably have to dodge a lot of questions, if you know what I mean.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:04:36 PM

1. How are you?

2. Have you ever ripped your jeans or pants in public?

3. Despite being a guy, have you ever worn a dress?

4. What is your favourite thing in the world?

5. How much do love DDO?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:05:57 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:04:22 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 4/20/2014 9:01:03 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

You really should, but I feel that you'd probably have to dodge a lot of questions, if you know what I mean.

That's what I'm afraid of haha!! Cause I'm sure people will ask ANYTHING! And I'd prolly not wanna answer if it's really personal. Or something lol.
"Good Times" ~ Max
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:08:34 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:04:36 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

1. How are you?

Pretty good, thanks, and you?

Fortunately, no :)

It depends on how we define a "dress." I wore something resembling a dress that was supposed to be a toga when I was in the 10th grade for my role in a play for my Latin class. So, I guess the answer is yes.

I'm actually a giant nerd, so I'd have to say reading. Either that, or debate itself, although there's confirmation bias there....eh, let's go with reading lol.

5. How much do love DDO?

Quite a bit, which is why I stayed lol.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:09:40 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:08:34 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

1. How are you?

Lucky. I ripped my bridesmaid dress ...during the wedding

It depends on how we define a "dress." I wore something resembling a dress that was supposed to be a toga when I was in the 10th grade for my role in a play for my Latin class. So, I guess the answer is yes.

I'm actually a giant nerd, so I'd have to say reading. Either that, or debate itself, although there's confirmation bias there....eh, let's go with reading lol.

Fave author, book and series?
5. How much do love DDO?

Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:12:36 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:09:40 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

1. How are you?

Darnnnnn, please tell me you had a spare? Or that the rip wasn't noticeable...(I know, I'm clueless).

I wouldn't say I have a favorite series, or really even a favorite book in particular. As for favorite author, I'd probably have to say either Thomas Paine or Charles Dickens.

5. How much do love DDO?

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:18:57 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:12:36 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 4/20/2014 9:09:40 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

1. How are you?

Darnnnnn, please tell me you had a spare? Or that the rip wasn't noticeable...(I know, I'm clueless).

The rip started about two inches above my butt and ended you know where. My face was the colour of the dress. My aunt lived nearby so I went here to borrow a dress

I wouldn't say I have a favorite series, or really even a favorite book in particular. As for favorite author, I'd probably have to say either Thomas Paine or Charles Dickens.

5. How much do love DDO?

Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:33:44 PM
1) Jifpop says you're a better debater than me, is that true?

2) Who is your favorite Disney princess, and why is it Jasmine?

3) What are your current thoughts about the Democratic party? Do you have a frontrunner for President in 2016? Cuz I think Jeb Bush is gonna win it all.

4) What is your favorite iPhone or Android app?

5) What is your quest? Favorite color?

6) What is your favorite joke?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:46:29 PM
At 4/20/2014 9:33:44 PM, bluesteel wrote:
1) Jifpop says you're a better debater than me, is that true?

Probably not. The massive gap in ELO speaks for itself. I admit that I can be a cocky jerk, but I wouldn't go that far.

2) Who is your favorite Disney princess, and why is it Jasmine?

I don't know who that is hahaha. Can I say the ice princess from Frozen (even though I still think the movie is overrated)?

3) What are your current thoughts about the Democratic party? Do you have a frontrunner for President in 2016? Cuz I think Jeb Bush is gonna win it all.

I'm extremely disappointed with them, actually. The idea that Hillary Clinton deserves a de facto coronation ceremony completely baffles me. And, as it is, I'm not even happy with the choices before me: not a fan of Clinton, obviously, or of Cuomo, Biden, or even Warren, all of whom I find far too go-along-to-get-along. If I had to choose a frontrunner for 2016 based on polling, unfortunately I'd have to say that Clinton's support is pretty much unrivaled. But if you were asking me to pick someone I'd support, it would probably be Bernie Sanders, although I don't even think he's perfect (wouldn't criticize Hillary Clinton when he was on Crossfire, he's a protectionist, I think he misuses the term "socialist," etc.) but he's a genuinely progressive guy with a lot of good ideas.

As for Jeb....I think he'll win the GOP primary, actually, but I doubt he'd take the general, if only because of his name.

4) What is your favorite iPhone or Android app?

Temple Run hahaha.

5) What is your quest? Favorite color?

My quest in what respect?

And, baby blue.

6) What is your favorite joke?

Hmmmm, I had to do some googling on this one, actually, to spark my memory, but I got it.
I can't remember who said this right around the 2012 GOP primary season, but I really think it's quite good.

"So a liberal, conservative, and a moderate walk into a bar. The bartender says, 'Hi Mitt!'"
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:41:44 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:28:15 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why are you against gun rights?

Largely because I've seen the destruction guns can cause, and that gun laws in the U.S. are significantly more conservative than they are in Europe, and the disparity in gun crimes is enormous. I don't think there's an absolute right to bear a firearm that trumps another person's right to life.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:42:21 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:28:42 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Also,

Do you believe in life after love?

Well, I don't believe in love, so I suppose the answer is no.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:52:10 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:41:44 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Largely because I've seen the destruction guns can cause, and that gun laws in the U.S. are significantly more conservative than they are in Europe, and the disparity in gun crimes is enormous. I don't think there's an absolute right to bear a firearm that trumps another person's right to life.

But have you seen the lives saved by gun owners? I've personally seen many cases of peoples lives being saved (and other heinous crimes prevented) because of gun owners.

I wouldn't argue that people should be given the right to bear any firearm, but I would argue that semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and semi-automatic pistols should all be available to the public.

If you look at countries like Brazil and the UK, their gun-related crime rates actually went up significantly following their bans on fire-arms.

Finally, I think "I don't think there's an absolute right to bear a firearm that trumps another person's right to life." is a false dichotomy. Guns are most often purchased with the intent of preserving life through self-defense and deterrence.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:53:17 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:42:21 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Also,

You need to read more. The idea that love does not exist is saddening to me. I absolutely believe that "love" exists.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:56:11 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:52:10 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 9:41:44 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

But have you seen the lives saved by gun owners? I've personally seen many cases of peoples lives being saved (and other heinous crimes prevented) because of gun owners.

Sure, there have been a couple, but they're dwarfed by the amount of lives they're taken. I've seen statistics demonstrating that you're more likely to be killed by a firearm in your home than you are to defend yourself with it, largely because there are competing forces at play: wanting to lock it up to keep it away from children, and wanting it to be accessible to combat an intruder. Those two forces are on a continuum, and there is without a doubt a trade-off between the two.

I wouldn't argue that people should be given the right to bear any firearm, but I would argue that semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and semi-automatic pistols should all be available to the public.

If you look at countries like Brazil and the UK, their gun-related crime rates actually went up significantly following their bans on fire-arms.

I haven't seen that, actually. I saw gun crime in the UK drop to about 11 a year; they have a crime problem, surely -- e.g., knives -- but it's nowhere near as bad as it is in the US, where there are about 12,000 gun murders per year.

Finally, I think "I don't think there's an absolute right to bear a firearm that trumps another person's right to life." is a false dichotomy. Guns are most often purchased with the intent of preserving life through self-defense and deterrence.

I don't question the intention of purchasing a firearm. I'm looking at this consequentially, and I think it's impossible to view the issue if not in light of the inherent trade-off between life and liberty.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:56:59 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:53:17 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Also,

You need to read more. The idea that love does not exist is saddening to me. I absolutely believe that "love" exists.

I read a lot, man. I just don't have time for "psychology of love" or whatever it is that would change my mind on this haha.

I guess, on this issue, I'm a nihilist.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:07:57 AM
At 4/21/2014 9:56:59 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Also,

I read a lot, man. I just don't have time for "psychology of love" or whatever it is that would change my mind on this haha.

No you need to read more fiction. Shakespeare, Poe, Hemingway, sh*t like that.

Have you read The Stranger by Albert Camus?
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:13:38 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:07:57 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 9:56:59 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Also,

No you need to read more fiction. Shakespeare, Poe, Hemingway, sh*t like that.

I read them all in high school lol. Actually, I wrote about Shakespeare on my english AP exam.

Have you read The Stranger by Albert Camus?

Yeah, I read it a few years ago. I can't remember much of it though lol.