Jump to topic:

Religious and Racist attacks on DDO

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 1:57:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm not going to name names here, but I have noticed a prevalent influx of religious and cultural intolerance on this site.

A couple days a go, I saw a very stupid poll directed towards abusing Jews. A couple hours later when I come back on, I see a poll with people bashing other races and cultures. This is getting out of hand. Why do we need to make polls that mention race, culture, and ethnicity anyways? Why does Juggle never delete these polls or comments?

The only purpose they serve is to start religious or nationalistic flame wars. The level of intolerance on this site shows no bounds. Like a couple of days a go, when I was playing a peaceful game of mafia. A member right out insulted my religion, my people, and my culture. Why is this allowed? I'm not going to lie, this baffles me.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:04:00 AM
At 4/21/2014 1:57:05 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
I'm not going to name names here, but I have noticed a prevalent influx of religious and cultural intolerance on this site.

A couple days a go, I saw a very stupid poll directed towards abusing Jews. A couple hours later when I come back on, I see a poll with people bashing other races and cultures. This is getting out of hand. Why do we need to make polls that mention race, culture, and ethnicity anyways? Why does Juggle never delete these polls or comments?

The only purpose they serve is to start religious or nationalistic flame wars. The level of intolerance on this site shows no bounds. Like a couple of days a go, when I was playing a peaceful game of mafia. A member right out insulted my religion, my people, and my culture. Why is this allowed? I'm not going to lie, this baffles me.

In the Mafia game, you basically used the fact that GCL worships Jesus to attack her and say that she is deceitful in the Mafia game itself because Jesus is deceitful according to your religion, which is why you got such backlash, if anything.

But yes, cultural supremacy probably exists because DDO has many American right-wingers, and those kinda people find pride in their American nationality.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:05:44 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:04:00 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

In the Mafia game, you basically used the fact that GCL worships Jesus to attack her and say that she is deceitful in the Mafia game itself because Jesus is deceitful according to your religion, which is why you got such backlash, if anything.

Baha'i religion also believes in Christ though. She had no respect for the differentiation's in our faiths.

But yes, cultural supremacy probably exists because DDO has many American right-wingers, and those kinda people find pride in their American nationality.

Agreed. Religious intolerance has become overgrowing within the right sector.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:06:37 AM

VTL Godchooseslife. She looks innocent, but she'll destroy us <- Jifpop

Why would I destroy anyone now? 0.o <- I said this..

Deception lies in the bottom of your heart. Us Bahai's are required to go through vigorous training in reading people, as deception is the trait of Jesus. <- then he said this..

Okay, let's get something straight here... Perceive me as you wish, but, please remember this is a game not the religious forum.. Not trying to sound rude, but that was a little uncalled for.. <- and then that's when I said this..

This is not an attack on your religion you dolt.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:08:08 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:06:37 AM, Mikal wrote:

Deception lies in the bottom of your heart. Us Bahai's are required to go through vigorous training in reading people, as deception is the trait of Jesus. <- then he said this..

Okay, let's get something straight here... Perceive me as you wish, but, please remember this is a game not the religious forum.. Not trying to sound rude, but that was a little uncalled for.. <- and then that's when I said this..

This is an attack on your religion you genius.

This is way down in the argument. Look near the beginning.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:10:21 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:08:08 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

nothing before this either. Wtf are you talking about dude
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:11:31 AM
Why does Juggle never delete these polls or comments?

They very often do get deleted when they warrant deletion. Stating that they never are deleted is just flat out wrong.

Some happen to fall into gray areas though where those responsible for moderation may allow them to stay, but the worst of them are generally removed.

As with any type of moderation on the site, it's not always easy to determine exactly what should and shouldn't be removed in every case, but that's something that is being worked on, especially as it relates to the polls section.

The following poll is one example that I think you are specifically referring to:

http://www.debate.org...

I'm not exactly concerned with the above poll itself (It's clearly ludicrous, and the responses reflect that), though the conduct in the comments certainly leaves something to be desired.
Debate.org Moderator
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:12:01 AM
nothing above this either

What? Bahai's believe that Jesus's key trait is deception. How is that uncalled for? <- he asked this..

Let's keep to the game.. We could discuss elsewhere :) <- I replied with that..

Unvote GCL

I appreciate you insulting
my religion. <- then he posted this..
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:12:18 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:05:44 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Baha'i religion also believes in Christ though. She had no respect for the differentiation's in our faiths.

But there is no logical connection between one's religious orientation and Mafia-game role. I could be Mormon and be chosen Town.

If I'm not mistaken, your faith speaks of two Yeshaus. The Masee7(Christ) and the Maseekh(Mutant). For the most part, according to your faith, GCL worships the Christ and follows his teachings, she simply falls for the Mutant when the story of crucifixion starts and it is said that you can be redeemed by having someone take the beating for you.

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:12:21 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:10:21 AM, Mikal wrote:

What Mafia game are you looking at. I believe we engaged in several places. Check page 2. Her insulting nature shows no bounds. I thought she was tolerant, but maybe I'm a bad judge of character?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:19:06 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:11:31 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

They very often do get deleted when they warrant deletion. Stating that they never are deleted is just flat out wrong.

I guess its hard for me to make a statement like that. I can only go by how much I see left.

Some happen to fall into gray areas though where those responsible for moderation may allow them to stay, but the worst of them are generally removed.

As with any type of moderation on the site, it's not always easy to determine exactly what should and shouldn't be removed in every case, but that's something that is being worked on, especially as it relates to the polls section.

The following poll is one example that I think you are specifically referring to:

I'm not exactly concerned with the above poll itself (It's clearly ludicrous, and the responses reflect that), though the conduct in the comments certainly leaves something to be desired.

I was referring to that poll exactly. It got me very riled and pissed off that somebody would say something like that. Its simply nonsensical and stupid. Through Inquisition though, it appears the poll maker believed in it.

Its probably a good example of the grey area you were talking about. What one person on this site may think is intelligent, can be immediately rejected by the rest.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:31:19 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:12:18 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

But there is no logical connection between one's religious orientation and Mafia-game role. I could be Mormon and be chosen Town.

Somehow we got on religion. I'm not going back to look though.

If I'm not mistaken, your faith speaks of two Yeshaus. The Masee7(Christ) and the Maseekh(Mutant). For the most part, according to your faith, GCL worships the Christ and follows his teachings, she simply falls for the Mutant when the story of crucifixion starts and it is said that you can be redeemed by having someone take the beating for you.

Your mistaken. Only one god exists within my religion. It is monotheistic. The teaching of god was shared through a secession of prophets beginning with Adam and ending with Baha'ullah (Depending on who you ask). Some are of more moderate faith, and don't assume Baha'ullah is indeed a prophet.

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:33:20 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:31:19 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Your mistaken. Only one god exists within my religion. It is monotheistic. The teaching of god was shared through a secession of prophets beginning with Adam and ending with Baha'ullah (Depending on who you ask). Some are of more moderate faith, and don't assume Baha'ullah is indeed a prophet.

Yes, one god exists, but there are two Jesus-es. One is the actual prophet and the other is a fake. No? I was raised in a faith that shares beliefs with Bahais, so I thought you had that too.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:34:10 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:19:06 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

I guess its hard for me to make a statement like that. I can only go by how much I see left.

It's pretty easy just to assume anything you don't like isn't removed because it's there when you look at it, and also because they aren't removed immediately. There usually is a longer turn around on poll moderation versus the rest of the site, but that doesn't mean they aren't removed, or that moderation of that section doesn't happen. As I said, improving that is being worked on, but the worst of the stuff is removed and you'd never know about it in many cases.

I was referring to that poll exactly. It got me very riled and pissed off that somebody would say something like that. Its simply nonsensical and stupid. Through Inquisition though, it appears the poll maker believed in it.

Not that I disagree with you, but to me it's too ridiculous to even illicit an emotional response.

Its probably a good example of the grey area you were talking about. What one person on this site may think is intelligent, can be immediately rejected by the rest.

I don't think there are many who consider it intelligent, but I also don't believe it should be considered as outright offensive as you've expressed. Obviously that's subjective, but so is often the nature of the moderation of that section and the site in general.
Debate.org Moderator
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:36:41 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:33:20 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 2:31:19 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Yes, one god exists, but there are two Jesus-es. One is the actual prophet and the other is a fake. No? I was raised in a faith that shares beliefs with Bahais, so I thought you had that too.

No, or I guess it depends on your views. The religion is perhaps the most extremely divided in terms of beliefs. Some believe that certain prophets are humans, and others are just manifestations of god. I wouldn't say that constitutes fake though.

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:38:49 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:34:10 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's pretty easy just to assume anything you don't like isn't removed because it's there when you look at it, and also because they aren't removed immediately. There usually is a longer turn around on poll moderation versus the rest of the site, but that doesn't mean they aren't removed, or that moderation of that section doesn't happen. As I said, improving that is being worked on, but the worst of the stuff is removed and you'd never know about it in many cases.

Not that I disagree with you, but to me it's too ridiculous to even illicit an emotional response.

Yeah, as someone with an extremely Jewish maternal line, I found it quite racist and offensive. The Nazi doctrine expressed in the comments didn't ease my anger.

I don't think there are many who consider it intelligent, but I also don't believe it should be considered as outright offensive as you've expressed. Obviously that's subjective, but so is often the nature of the moderation of that section and the site in general.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:49:55 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:12:21 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

What Mafia game are you looking at. I believe we engaged in several places. Check page 2. Her insulting nature shows no bounds. I thought she was tolerant, but maybe I'm a bad judge of character?

copy paste it
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:50:06 AM
Nvm, I ceded to your guys advice, and forgave her. But, she had to go out of her way to give the least attentive and disrespectful thanks ever. I'm even more dissapointed with GCL
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:51:16 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:50:06 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
Nvm, I ceded to your guys advice, and forgave her. But, she had to go out of her way to give the least attentive and disrespectful thanks ever. I'm even more dissapointed with GCL

Oh, then she has to go and get sarcastic after. No joke, I thought she was being nice, but then I reread it.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:54:26 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:51:16 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Oh, then she has to go and get sarcastic after. No joke, I thought she was being nice, but then I reread it.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Just didn't know what to say was all after everything.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
discomfiting
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:54:34 AM

disappointed has one "s".
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:56:58 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:49:55 AM, Mikal wrote:

copy paste it

That's not even the point. I just reached out and forgave her. She just gave me a disrespectful "okay". Then when I gave her ANOTHER chance, she got all sarcastic.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:57:55 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:56:58 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 2:49:55 AM, Mikal wrote:

copy paste it

That's not even the point. I just reached out and forgave her. She just gave me a disrespectful "okay". Then when I gave her ANOTHER chance, she got all sarcastic.

I still don't believe she harassed you or insulted your religion. Will believe it when you post it and link it
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:58:12 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:54:26 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic. Just didn't know what to say was all after everything.

When someone forgives you, you treat them with proper respect. You don't "k" them. I'm done communicating with your intolerant immaturity. I'm sorry, but here I part.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 3:01:38 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:58:12 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

When someone forgives you, you treat them with proper respect. You don't "k" them. I'm done communicating with your intolerant immaturity. I'm sorry, but here I part.

Assumptions are really bad. But fair enough, I have nothing further to say. Blessings.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 3:03:17 AM
At 4/21/2014 3:01:38 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Assumptions are really bad. But fair enough, I have nothing further to say. Blessings.

ASSUMPTIONS!?!?! WTF, have I gotten no where with you?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 3:04:09 AM
At 4/21/2014 2:38:49 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Yeah, as someone with an extremely Jewish maternal line, I found it quite racist and offensive. The Nazi doctrine expressed in the comments didn't ease my anger.

As someone who is Jewish and practices Judaism, I'll continue to maintain that it's subjective. This isn't to say that you aren't right to be offended, just that it's not as simple as deleting things that you happen to be offended by.
Debate.org Moderator
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 3:08:03 AM

jif, please explain to us how one is suppose to be properly respectful in a forum section. To me your not respecting Gcl at all, in fact you seem to avoid helping her, and pointing out what she did wrong so she doesent make the same mistake in the future. Dont just spout that she isnt showing you respect, she asked you a thousand times over what she did, and you never give her the full details.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 3:10:51 AM
At 4/21/2014 3:08:03 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

jif, please explain to us how one is suppose to be properly respectful in a forum section. To me your not respecting Gcl at all, in fact you seem to avoid helping her, and pointing out what she did wrong so she doesent make the same mistake in the future. Dont just spout that she isnt showing you respect, she asked you a thousand times over what she did, and you never give her the full details.

I don't have to critique her, or show her respect. That flew out the table once she insulted my culture. I would gladly honor duel her, but of course that can't happen.It was good enough I took the time to forgive her for her intolerant maturity. She should of been grateful, and gave me a proper apology.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 3:15:02 AM
At 4/21/2014 3:04:09 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 2:38:49 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

As someone who is Jewish and practices Judaism, I'll continue to maintain that it's subjective. This isn't to say that you aren't right to be offended, just that it's not as simple as deleting things that you happen to be offended by.

#modowned