Jump to topic:

AMa?

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:28:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Which economist would you identify closer with, Keynes or Hayek?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:29:03 AM
If a person breaks a window, is that good for the economy?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:30:29 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:27:14 AM, XLAV wrote:
How's India?

It has its ups and downs. I like the fact that it has a vibrant culture, so I always have something to look forward to. But then there's rapes and poverty and shtuff, its love- hate tbh.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:30:49 AM
1. What's up witchoo?

2. Have you ever hit a dog with a car?

3. Would you rather smoke a doobie with a possom or wrestle in the mud with a kangaroo?

4. If you had the opportunity to be the first person on Mars, but you would have to stay on Mars for as long as supplies held out, then die, would you do it?

5. Are you afraid that life as we know it is somebody else's dream and when that person wakes up you'll no longer exist?

6. If you saw a slice of pumpkin pie on your living room floor with a noose around it, would you eat it?

7. Suppose you were accused of a murder you didn't commit. Somebody obviously framed you because all the evidence points to your guilt, and you have no alibi or any way to defend yourself. The prosecution offers you a plea bargain in which you will get 10 years in prison in exchange for you confession. If you refuse to confess and are found guilty, you will get life in prison. What would you do?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:31:43 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:30:29 AM, Cermank wrote:
How's India?

It has its ups and downs. I like the fact that it has a vibrant culture, so I always have something to look forward to. But then there's rapes and poverty and shtuff, its love- hate tbh.

Rapes, poverty and stuff is pretty common in every country.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:37:13 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:28:46 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Which economist would you identify closer with, Keynes or Hayek?

Keynes, I'll say. Although its not that clear cut, I'd say I lie somewhere between them. Keynes is too interventionist for my taste, and Heyes too hands off. Although I might give a better answer to a specific 'what to do in this situation' question, because off- late, I've realised its more about *how* the policies/ group of policies are implemented rather than a specific policy.

If a person breaks a window, is that good for the economy?

Nope. The money is merely misallocated.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:42:45 AM
Best debate format?

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:47:38 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:30:49 AM, philochristos wrote:
1. What's up witchoo?

Aye. I'm dandy.

2. Have you ever hit a dog with a car?

Ugh... I wasn't driving. Does that count? I buried him in this forest near my house, and laid flowers on him and asked for forgiveness and everything though, but... yeah, I guess.

3. Would you rather smoke a doobie with a possom or wrestle in the mud with a kangaroo?

Lol, drugs are bad, m'kay? Wrestle in the mud anyday.

4. If you had the opportunity to be the first person on Mars, but you would have to stay on Mars for as long as supplies held out, then die, would you do it?

Nope. It's kinda worthless, I'd rather add value to people's life on earth.

5. Are you afraid that life as we know it is somebody else's dream and when that person wakes up you'll no longer exist?

When I was young, whenever I used to be sad, I used to just wish feverishly that I'm merely a figment of imagination of my imaginary friend. And that she'd wake up, relieving me of the sadness. I grew out of it though, so no.

6. If you saw a slice of pumpkin pie on your living room floor with a noose around it, would you eat it?

Nope. I might try riding my broom to see if I'm in the HP universe though, and try looking out for Crabbe and Goyle, so that things can be right'ed once again.

7. Suppose you were accused of a murder you didn't commit. Somebody obviously framed you because all the evidence points to your guilt, and you have no alibi or any way to defend yourself. The prosecution offers you a plea bargain in which you will get 10 years in prison in exchange for you confession. If you refuse to confess and are found guilty, you will get life in prison. What would you do?

Probably former. Cost benefit.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:49:03 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:31:43 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 4/21/2014 10:30:29 AM, Cermank wrote:
How's India?

Rapes, poverty and stuff is pretty common in every country.

Yeah, it still bugs you though. Plus I feel I encounter poverty on a daily basis, so much that I've kinda grown immune to it- which I don't like.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 10:52:09 AM
At 4/21/2014 10:42:45 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Best debate format?

I haven't really done traditional PF/ LD formats that all of you seem to be familiar with. I've been active in MUNs, which is an entirely different concept. Basically a mock UN where you defend your country/ make resolutions and bilateral agreements and stuff. It was fun while it lasted, but its extremely engrossing and time consuming, which is why I had to kinda retire once second year started.

Other than that, the only formal debates I've done is this site. A few imprompto at school, but that was more or less informal.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 11:21:02 AM
1- Why does a caged-bird sing?

2- If you are you, does this mean you have self-identity?

3- Are we all in a collective dream or is this world real?

4- Did time begin and how? If time began, shouldn't there be time before it?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 11:31:15 AM
At 4/21/2014 11:21:02 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Because it dreams of freedom.

And possibly because its bored.

Self identity implies I know what 'me' stands for. That quite different from knowing you exist.

How Can Dreams Be Real If Mirrors Aren't Real?

Time is relative. For us, it began when things we know came into existence.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 11:31:31 AM
At 4/21/2014 11:21:02 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Because it dreams of freedom. And possibly because its bored.

Self identity implies I know what 'me' stands for. That quite different from knowing you exist.

How Can Dreams Be Real If Mirrors Aren't Real?

Time is relative. For us, it began when things we know came into existence.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 11:34:05 AM
What's your name? Where you from?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 11:59:35 AM
At 4/21/2014 11:41:31 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 4/21/2014 11:34:05 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
What's your name? Where you from?

Aayushi. India. :)

Cool. Nice to meet you. :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad