Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm a crazy Calvinist, AMA

philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 5:52:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Further define the beliefs of calvinism
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 5:53:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 5:52:23 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Further define the beliefs of calvinism

You have to put it in the form of a question.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 5:55:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 5:52:41 PM, Romanii wrote:
Does Calvinism allow for Religious Pluralism? :P

Calvinism does not address the topic of religious pluralism, but Calvinists typically do not subscribe to religious pluralism.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:34:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Why do you reject the concept of the Eucharist?
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:36:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
4/21/2014 6:32:06 PM
Posted: 3 minutes ago
1. What is heaven?
2. What is hell?
3. Why would a just God deny even the possibility of salvation to some people?
4. Why would a just God create billions of people that he intends to burn in hell forever?
5. Was the sacrifice of Jesus capable of saving everyone, or only capable of saving people he deems worth saving?
6. How can any Calvinist be assured their salvation?
7. If the elect will inevitably be saved, why evangelize?
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:39:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:34:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Why do you reject the concept of the Eucharist?

I don't. "Eucharist" just means thanksgiving. I'm all for the Lord's supper. Are you asking me why I reject real presence?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:40:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:39:26 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:34:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Why do you reject the concept of the Eucharist?

I don't. "Eucharist" just means thanksgiving. I'm all for the Lord's supper. Are you asking me why I reject real presence?

Yes.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:45:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:36:42 PM, TN05 wrote:
4/21/2014 6:32:06 PM
Posted: 3 minutes ago
1. What is heaven?

The word, "heaven" is used in various ways in the Bible. It can refer to the sky. It can refer to outter space, or the whole realm in which the earth, stars, and planets reside. Or it can refer to the spiritual realm. Or it can refer to the realm of God.

2. What is hell?

There are three different words that are each referred to as "hell" in the KJV, and they each have different meanings.

"Gehenna" was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem that Jesus used as a metaphor for those who are cast out of the kingdom of God. It represents exclusion and suffering.

"Hades" can simply mean the grave or death, or it can mean the abode or waiting place of the dead. It's generally used of those who have died without being redeemed, and it's where they wait for the resurrection to judgment.

"Tartarus" means "prison," it refers to where dead souls wait for the resurrection to judgment.

3. Why would a just God deny even the possibility of salvation to some people?

Because God doesn't owe anybody a pardon.

4. Why would a just God create billions of people that he intends to burn in hell forever?

To demonstrate his wrath.

5. Was the sacrifice of Jesus capable of saving everyone, or only capable of saving people he deems worth saving?

It was capable of saving everybody, but it was intended only for some. Nobody who is saved is saved because they are worthy to be saved. Salvation is a gift, and it is unconditional.

6. How can any Calvinist be assured their salvation?

Epistemological assurance comes by examining our lives. A person who has been regenerated will inevitably exhibit the fruit of the Spirit in their lives.

7. If the elect will inevitably be saved, why evangelize?

Because evangelism is the means by which God calls the elect, because we don't know who the elect are, and because we are commanded to evangelize.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:48:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:40:57 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:39:26 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:34:59 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Why do you reject the concept of the Eucharist?

I don't. "Eucharist" just means thanksgiving. I'm all for the Lord's supper. Are you asking me why I reject real presence?

Yes.

There are two versions of real presence--the consubstantial view, and the transubstantial view. I reject transubstantiation because I think it violates the law of identity. I don't know enough about consubstantiation to have a strong opinion about it. I used to not have a problem with it, but I had a conversation with somebody on a message board about it once that made me have some of the same objections to it that I have to transubstantiation. I don't remember enough about the conversation to feel the same way right now. Here is that conversation in case you want to have a look-see:

http://str.typepad.com...

I'm "Sam" in this conversation.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:49:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:42:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Ils est tres interresant!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:50:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:48:41 PM, philochristos wrote:

Alright how do you think that transubstantiation violates the laws of identity?
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:54:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:50:38 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:48:41 PM, philochristos wrote:

Alright how do you think that transubstantiation violates the laws of identity?

If entity P and the same entity as entity Q, then whatever is true of P must be true of Q, and vice versa.

The first supposed transubstantiation event occurred at the original last supper when Jesus said, "This is my body" and "this is my blood." Since the bread and wine have none of the properties of Jesus' flesh and blood, then they can't be the body and blood of Jesus. Also, since they are located in various places, while Jesus himself is located elsewhere and hasn't lost any body parts, they cannot be Jesus' flesh and blood.

I had a debate about this recently:

http://www.debate.org...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:07:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:54:07 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:50:38 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:48:41 PM, philochristos wrote:

Alright how do you think that transubstantiation violates the laws of identity?

If entity P and the same entity as entity Q, then whatever is true of P must be true of Q, and vice versa.

The first supposed transubstantiation event occurred at the original last supper when Jesus said, "This is my body" and "this is my blood." Since the bread and wine have none of the properties of Jesus' flesh and blood, then they can't be the body and blood of Jesus. Also, since they are located in various places, while Jesus himself is located elsewhere and hasn't lost any body parts, they cannot be Jesus' flesh and blood.

The problem with your argument is that you assume that Jesus turned the bread and wine into his literally flesh and blood, which if he had done so your argument would have held true.

However, Jesus did not physically change the substance, rather he metaphysically changed it. This means that even if its physical properties are still the same, its metaphysical properties have changed into the spiritual, or in a way, metaphorical flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.

Bible verses support this.

"I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." ( John 6:51 )

"For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. " Corinthians (11:6)

I'll present more later.

I had a debate about this recently:

http://www.debate.org...
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:07:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:54:07 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:50:38 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:48:41 PM, philochristos wrote:

Alright how do you think that transubstantiation violates the laws of identity?

If entity P and the same entity as entity Q, then whatever is true of P must be true of Q, and vice versa.

The first supposed transubstantiation event occurred at the original last supper when Jesus said, "This is my body" and "this is my blood." Since the bread and wine have none of the properties of Jesus' flesh and blood, then they can't be the body and blood of Jesus. Also, since they are located in various places, while Jesus himself is located elsewhere and hasn't lost any body parts, they cannot be Jesus' flesh and blood.

I had a debate about this recently:

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.openbible.info...
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:08:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 5:53:01 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:52:23 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Further define the beliefs of calvinism

You have to put it in the form of a question.

Ask
me anything. It doesn't have to be a question.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:13:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:07:03 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:54:07 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:50:38 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:48:41 PM, philochristos wrote:

Alright how do you think that transubstantiation violates the laws of identity?

If entity P and the same entity as entity Q, then whatever is true of P must be true of Q, and vice versa.

The first supposed transubstantiation event occurred at the original last supper when Jesus said, "This is my body" and "this is my blood." Since the bread and wine have none of the properties of Jesus' flesh and blood, then they can't be the body and blood of Jesus. Also, since they are located in various places, while Jesus himself is located elsewhere and hasn't lost any body parts, they cannot be Jesus' flesh and blood.

The problem with your argument is that you assume that Jesus turned the bread and wine into his literally flesh and blood, which if he had done so your argument would have held true.

That's not my problem. That the problem with transubstantiation.

However, Jesus did not physically change the substance, rather he metaphysically changed it.

It doesn't matter how he changed it. It only matters whether he changed it.

This means that even if its physical properties are still the same, its metaphysical properties have changed into the spiritual, or in a way, metaphorical flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.

The doctrine of transubstantiation is not merely that the bread and wine are metaphors for the flesh and blood of Jesus, but that they are literally the flesh and blood of Jesus. Read the Cathechism on this:

http://www.scborromeo.org...

Bible verses support this.

"I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." ( John 6:51 )

I don't see how this verse supports the notion that the bread and wine are metaphors for Jesus' flesh and blood.

"For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. " Corinthians (11:6)

I'll present more later.

Please don't. This is a question and answer thread. Ask me questions. This is your opportunity to put me on the witness stand if you want.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:20:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:08:24 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:53:01 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:52:23 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Further define the beliefs of calvinism

You have to put it in the form of a question.

Ask
me anything. It doesn't have to be a question.

Okay, if you take "ask" in a broader sense to just mean any sort of request, then you don't have to make it a question.

Calvinism entails a lot of views about a lot of things, but the best way I know to explain Calvinism succinctly is to say that Calvinism is the view that God is absolutely sovereign in salvation. That means whether anybody is saved or not is ultimately up to God.

There are five points that typically summarizes the implications of God's absolute sovereignty in salvation:

1. Total depravity: In short, this is the idea that because of our slavery to sin, we are incapable of repenting and coming to Christ for salvation apart from God's intervention.

2. Unconditional election: This is the idea that God chooses some people for salvation due to not merit of their own.

3. Limited (or particular) atonement: This is the idea that the atonement of Jesus Christ was intended only for those God intended to save.

4. Irresistible grace: This is the idea that when God decides to save somebody by grace, and he calls that person to salvation, regenerates them (i.e. changes their heart [i.e. changes their desires and their will]), then it's inevitable that that person will come to Christ for salvation.

5. Preservation of the Saints: This is the idea that once God will save all those he intends to save. If God regenerates a person, causing them to turn to Christ, God will preserve them throughout their lives.

That's Calvinism in a nutshell.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:31:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:20:14 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:08:24 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:53:01 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:52:23 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 5:51:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
I want to be part of the new movement--asking people questions about their peculiar religio/metaphysico/politico/socio point of view. If you want to ask me general questions, I already have a thread for that:

http://www.debate.org...

For this one, you can ask me anything having to do with my religious views. I'm a Calvinist, which is a theological point of view within Christianity, but you can ask me anything having to do with Christianity. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up.

Further define the beliefs of calvinism

You have to put it in the form of a question.

Ask
me anything. It doesn't have to be a question.

Okay, if you take "ask" in a broader sense to just mean any sort of request, then you don't have to make it a question.

Calvinism entails a lot of views about a lot of things, but the best way I know to explain Calvinism succinctly is to say that Calvinism is the view that God is absolutely sovereign in salvation. That means whether anybody is saved or not is ultimately up to God.

There are five points that typically summarizes the implications of God's absolute sovereignty in salvation:

1. Total depravity: In short, this is the idea that because of our slavery to sin, we are incapable of repenting and coming to Christ for salvation apart from God's intervention.

2. Unconditional election: This is the idea that God chooses some people for salvation due to not merit of their own.

3. Limited (or particular) atonement: This is the idea that the atonement of Jesus Christ was intended only for those God intended to save.

4. Irresistible grace: This is the idea that when God decides to save somebody by grace, and he calls that person to salvation, regenerates them (i.e. changes their heart [i.e. changes their desires and their will]), then it's inevitable that that person will come to Christ for salvation.

5. Preservation of the Saints: This is the idea that once God will save all those he intends to save. If God regenerates a person, causing them to turn to Christ, God will preserve them throughout their lives.

That's Calvinism in a nutshell.

Thanks. The various religious sects confuse things. At a broad level there is protestant and catholic, but all the sects within a sect confuse the $hit out of me.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:31:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:31:02 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:20:14 PM, philochristos wrote:

Thanks. The various religious sects confuse things. At a broad level there is protestant and catholic, but all the sects within a sect confuse the $hit out of me.

Then you should ask questions. Maybe I can alleviate some of your confusion. Or maybe I'll just cause more!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:33:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:31:02 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:20:14 PM, philochristos wrote:

That's Calvinism in a nutshell.

Thanks. The various religious sects confuse things. At a broad level there is protestant and catholic, but all the sects within a sect confuse the $hit out of me.

Calvinism is not a sect, by the way. It's a theological point of view held by various sects, including Presbyterians and Reformed Baptists.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:34:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:33:14 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:31:02 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:20:14 PM, philochristos wrote:

That's Calvinism in a nutshell.

Thanks. The various religious sects confuse things. At a broad level there is protestant and catholic, but all the sects within a sect confuse the $hit out of me.

Calvinism is not a sect, by the way. It's a theological point of view held by various sects, including Presbyterians and Reformed Baptists.

Jifpop09 = braindead. I think I get it though. Calvinism isn't a church, but a philosophy found in some church doctrines?
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:35:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:34:44 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:33:14 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:31:02 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/21/2014 7:20:14 PM, philochristos wrote:

That's Calvinism in a nutshell.

Thanks. The various religious sects confuse things. At a broad level there is protestant and catholic, but all the sects within a sect confuse the $hit out of me.

Calvinism is not a sect, by the way. It's a theological point of view held by various sects, including Presbyterians and Reformed Baptists.

Jifpop09 = braindead. I think I get it though. Calvinism isn't a church, but a philosophy found in some church doctrines?

Yes. And there are a lot of individual Calvinists who go to various churches whose official statements of faith do not include Calvinist doctrines.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:44:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:42:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Your opponent's definition of Calvinism is completely wrong, so the debate can't really be about Calvinism.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
n7
Posts: 1,358
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:46:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Spirituality speaking, what did I do with my wallet.

Also, what do you think of annihilationism?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 7:48:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 7:46:56 PM, n7 wrote:
Spirituality speaking, what did I do with my wallet.

You dropped it while the Vikings, Visigoths, and other barbarians were chasing you.

Also, what do you think of annihilationism?

I think it is wishful thinking. I wish it were true.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Legitdebater
Posts: 76
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 8:17:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Have you ever yoloswaged 4 Jesus?

What if you were Jewish?

What if you were a Buddhist?

What if you were a Hindu?

How do we know your not a Scientologist?
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 8:56:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/21/2014 6:45:56 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/21/2014 6:36:42 PM, TN05 wrote:
4/21/2014 6:32:06 PM
Posted: 3 minutes ago
1. What is heaven?

The word, "heaven" is used in various ways in the Bible. It can refer to the sky. It can refer to outter space, or the whole realm in which the earth, stars, and planets reside. Or it can refer to the spiritual realm. Or it can refer to the realm of God.

2. What is hell?

There are three different words that are each referred to as "hell" in the KJV, and they each have different meanings.

"Gehenna" was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem that Jesus used as a metaphor for those who are cast out of the kingdom of God. It represents exclusion and suffering.

"Hades" can simply mean the grave or death, or it can mean the abode or waiting place of the dead. It's generally used of those who have died without being redeemed, and it's where they wait for the resurrection to judgment.

"Tartarus" means "prison," it refers to where dead souls wait for the resurrection to judgment.

3. Why would a just God deny even the possibility of salvation to some people?

Because God doesn't owe anybody a pardon.

But God created those people, and willed them to sin. Why is it their fault, given they were willed to sin by their creator? I doubt you'd consider it very just for a parent to tell their kid to do something, and then banish them from their house forever because they did it.

4. Why would a just God create billions of people that he intends to burn in hell forever?

To demonstrate his wrath.

What's God so angry about?

5. Was the sacrifice of Jesus capable of saving everyone, or only capable of saving people he deems worth saving?

It was capable of saving everybody, but it was intended only for some. Nobody who is saved is saved because they are worthy to be saved. Salvation is a gift, and it is unconditional.

What do you say to John 3:16, then?

6. How can any Calvinist be assured their salvation?

Epistemological assurance comes by examining our lives. A person who has been regenerated will inevitably exhibit the fruit of the Spirit in their lives.

What about those who fall from the faith after being devout for years?

7. If the elect will inevitably be saved, why evangelize?

Because evangelism is the means by which God calls the elect, because we don't know who the elect are, and because we are commanded to evangelize.

And if you don't evangelize, what would happen? God has already predestined you, so how does anything you do affect anything?