Jump to topic:

I don't like AMA threads. AMA.

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:54:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Before you all ask why I don't like AMA threads - they tend to bring out a lot of questions for the sake of asking a question. Despite many interesting people on the site, few AMA threads yield very interesting results. But I thought maybe that's because I've never participated in one, and they do seem to have been really popular around here for a few days. So here I am. Hit me. I promise to answer everything absolutely honestly to the best of my ability.

You may also know me as that guy who loves video debates, who runs edeb8.com, who's a longtime advocate of improving voting and team debates, who's from New Zealand, or who got a million views on a debate one time.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:03:29 AM
At 4/23/2014 10:54:25 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Before you all ask why I don't like AMA threads - they tend to bring out a lot of questions for the sake of asking a question. Despite many interesting people on the site, few AMA threads yield very interesting results. But I thought maybe that's because I've never participated in one, and they do seem to have been really popular around here for a few days. So here I am. Hit me. I promise to answer everything absolutely honestly to the best of my ability.

You may also know me as that guy who loves video debates, who runs edeb8.com, who's a longtime advocate of improving voting and team debates, who's from New Zealand, or who got a million views on a debate one time.

How are you?

What was your favourite debate that you have ever done?

Have you ever debated in real life?

Can you sing?

Are you a nerd and proud?!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:06:17 AM
Honestly, why are you so awesome?

Any exciting features coming up with edeb8?

I'm going to be a comp-sci major in college. When I have it figured out more, can I help out with edeb8?

Would you be willing to coach me in World Schools debate?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:08:07 AM
At 4/23/2014 10:54:25 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Before you all ask why I don't like AMA threads - they tend to bring out a lot of questions for the sake of asking a question.

Hey now, I ask questions for the sake of entertainment, and they have served their purpose.

So here I am. Hit me. I promise to answer everything absolutely honestly to the best of my ability.

1. Have you ever visited Hobbiton?

2. Did you ever make any attempt to get a part, as least as an extra, or any of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit films?

3. Do you actually like the people you interact with on this site?

4. What do you think the value of debating is?

5. Do you enjoy debating, or do you debate for another reason?

6. How do you feel about cats?

7. Is there anybody you haven't debated but would like to?

8. Why so serious?

9. Do you think there is a strong correlation between being right and winning debates?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:10:59 AM
At 4/23/2014 11:03:29 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
How are you?

Satisfied overall. Nervous about answering my first question. Hoping that this rain subsides before I have to take out the trash before sunrise.

What was your favourite debate that you have ever done?

Debating with my partner Josh at the BP development tournament in Auckland in 2010. I learnt so much from Josh, he's really incredible.

Have you ever debated in real life?

Frequently. I used to be going to all sorts of tournaments at university. I got invited to many more tournaments than I could afford to go to unfortunately.

Can you sing?

Here's me trying! I love songwriting.
http://www.debate.org...

Are you a nerd and proud?!

Yes, totally. Although I have friends who would more properly term it "geek".
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:13:26 AM
At 4/23/2014 11:06:17 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Honestly, why are you so awesome?

Because I really care a lot about online debate, and I guess you do too.

Any exciting features coming up with edeb8?

Oh yeah. Just you wait until our first-year anniversary. ;)

I'm going to be a comp-sci major in college. When I have it figured out more, can I help out with edeb8?

Of course!

Would you be willing to coach me in World Schools debate?

Willing, yes. The issue is only with whether I can find the time to work on stuff with you regularly. But if it's just an occasional giving-feedback session I'm down with that.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:21:14 AM
At 4/23/2014 11:08:07 AM, philochristos wrote:
1. Have you ever visited Hobbiton?

No actually. I went to the front gate once, saw the high prices, and left. Kind of a rip off to see a movie set. Although this was before the filming of The Hobbit, I hear it's been done up nicer now.

2. Did you ever make any attempt to get a part, as least as an extra, or any of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit films?

At the time I was busy with studies. I wouldn't have been able to. I did do some extra parts in a few of my friends' film projects at uni though.

3. Do you actually like the people you interact with on this site?

I like most people I interact with, and this site is no exception. Generally once you get to know somebody better you find more and more common ground.

4. What do you think the value of debating is?

Learning how to think and persuade others.

5. Do you enjoy debating, or do you debate for another reason?

I love it! Debating is like sport to me. The intellectual challenge is a thrill too.

6. How do you feel about cats?

I value them really highly. I'm cynophobic (like, I really, really am), so cats are my pet of choice.

Yeah, loads of people in RL. I've beaten all of my former high school partners but one in subsequent years. The one guy doesn't debate anymore but one day I'll get him.

8. Why so serious?

Why not?

9. Do you think there is a strong correlation between being right and winning debates?

I think there's a weak correlation. Depends on how biased the judge is. An unbiased judge would make no correlation, while a biased one would base their entire decision on who's ultimately right in their own opinion without listening to the debate.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 11:59:19 AM
At 4/23/2014 11:21:14 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 4/23/2014 11:08:07 AM, philochristos wrote:

Yeah, loads of people in RL. I've beaten all of my former high school partners but one in subsequent years. The one guy doesn't debate anymore but one day I'll get him.

I meant here on DDO.

8. Why so serious?

Why not?

Objection! Unresponsive!

New questions. . .

10. Are there any debates on DDO that you lost but think you should've won? If so, which debates?

11. Are there any debates on DDO that you won but think you should've lost? If so, which ones?

12. Other than debating, what other hobbies and interests do you have?

13. Sexually speaking, which team are you on?

14. Do you think Jesus of Nazareth--the one who is supposedly behind the Christian movement in the first century--actually existed?

15. Do you think "Judas the Galilean" and "the Egyptian," both mentioned in Acts as well as in Josephus' Jewish Wars actually existed?

16. Do you think Robin Hood existed?

17. Do you believe that women have souls?

18. Do you believe it is possible to complete a beginningless series of tasks? In other words, is it possible to accomplish something in spite of an infinite regress. For example, if every choice was based on a desire, and every desire was the result of a choice, do you think it's possible to make a choice today?

19. What do you think about Captain America?

20. Has anybody ever told you that your voice sounds a lot like Richard Swinburne?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 12:34:22 PM
At 4/23/2014 11:59:19 AM, philochristos wrote:
I meant here on DDO.

Sure, lots. This is going to make me sound like a noob-swiper, but one thing I did a while back was take on a bunch of newer members and then give them lots of help and feedback afterwards. It actually went pretty well for a time, but unfortunately it took a lot of effort and I couldn't maintain it. Certainly got a lot of newer debaters more into debate. Often they just need a bit of encouragement. If Sieben hadn't offered to debate me after seeing my first debate I might not have stuck around on DDO.

If you want me to name one specific member though - you spring to mind. ;)

Objection! Unresponsive!

Counter-objection. I'm serious when there is no reason not to be serious. I always err on the side of taking stuff seriously. It's my default. I was trying to convey that in as few words as you asked the question - sorry for the confusion.

10. Are there any debates on DDO that you lost but think you should've won? If so, which debates?

Several. This one springs to mind - I am convinced every single vote on it, for both sides, is a votebomb: http://www.debate.org...

11. Are there any debates on DDO that you won but think you should've lost? If so, which ones?

Yip, mostly because I've won a few debates from a losing position after my opponent forfeited. See http://www.debate.org... for an example. But there are a few others too. I'm my own worst critic most of the time, though I try not to show that very publically.

12. Other than debating, what other hobbies and interests do you have?

Too many. I love reading and writing. I compose lots of music and people tell me I don't suck as much as I think I do. I love roleplaying and strategy games, and play a lot of chess. I used to play a lot of soccer, though that's a bit tough around here, so I cycle everywhere instead. I enjoy programming generally, just for fun outside of work. And of course, reading! I read basically everything. I have a special interest in academic marketing, management, and entrepreneurship, which were also the main focuses of my degree.

13. Sexually speaking, which team are you on?

If I read that question correctly - I'm straight personally, but have no problem with any other sexuality other people may have.

14. Do you think Jesus of Nazareth--the one who is supposedly behind the Christian movement in the first century--actually existed?

Yes, but I think no individual aspect of the myth can be validated given current technology. The myth has clearly been so colored as to make it practically impossible to do any serious historiographic investigation.

15. Do you think "Judas the Galilean" and "the Egyptian," both mentioned in Acts as well as in Josephus' Jewish Wars actually existed?

Historians back then often went by way of second-hand accounts, and I believe St Luke relied on such evidence extensively, so it's probable they're drawing from the same single source material here. I trust Josephus a lot. Among historians, he's proven to be one of the best through archaeological and other evidence. So I'm happy to suggest the source material for this must have been perceived to be reliable at the time. So yeah, I'd say the existence of them is more likely than not.

16. Do you think Robin Hood existed?

Yes. I think the legend has its origins in Roger Godberd.

17. Do you believe that women have souls?

No, but then I don't believe men have souls either.

18. Do you believe it is possible to complete a beginningless series of tasks? In other words, is it possible to accomplish something in spite of an infinite regress. For example, if every choice was based on a desire, and every desire was the result of a choice, do you think it's possible to make a choice today?

Yes. Most clear example would be Xeno's race paradox. Even though there is an infinite regress of the tortoise moving half-way towards the hare, the tortoise is still able to complete the task of passing the hare.

19. What do you think about Captain America?

To be honest, not my favorite hero. Never really found geocentric heroes very enticing to be honest. Only serves to reinforce an "us vs them" mentality.

20. Has anybody ever told you that your voice sounds a lot like Richard Swinburne?

No, but I had a Hollywood producer tell me that my voice sounds exactly like Vincent Ward. I'm working with a expert in audio right now for a website project who tells me that my accent sounds more Canadian than anything else. Nobody can really agree what I sound like.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 12:43:41 PM
At 4/23/2014 12:34:22 PM, larztheloser wrote:

If you want me to name one specific member though - you spring to mind. ;)

You intimidate me. I remember you were one of the first people whose debates I read when I first joined this site, and my thought was, "Dang, these people are serious, and they can debate!" I could probably learn something from debating with you, though, if only I could ever muster the energy to do it. I'm sure it would be a chore.

I have one more question for you.

21. If there is no God, then how come the world fits so perfectly into a chicken?

http://24.media.tumblr.com...

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 12:54:36 PM
At 4/23/2014 12:43:41 PM, philochristos wrote:
21. If there is no God, then how come the world fits so perfectly into a chicken?

Because the existence of one vague shape among many smaller arbitrarily-arranged shapes can come about as a result of other processes. For example, if there is a god, then how come the seaweed on the beach I saw today was arranged in the shape of Justin Bieber's head? (No disrespect).
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 1:02:35 PM
At 4/23/2014 12:57:49 PM, Cermank wrote:
Cake or pie?

I'm a sucker for a good cake. Every year when the lemon crop get's ripe I bake lemon cake, then when the apple crop comes around I make apple cake. My brother's more the pie chef. That being said, in something like a cafe, I'd sooner order a pie than a cake, because cost beats taste between the two.