Jump to topic:

Official: DDO Site Update Tonight

Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 7:42:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Today we released an update to Debate.org that expanded the options for voting on debates.

The Voting Options you can configure on a debate now consist of the following:

EXISTING FEATURES

1.Voting Period Length
2.Vote Comments (On or Off)

NEW FEATURES

Voting Style
Open Voting - within open voting members have two options for configuration

1) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both still have RFDs)
2) Eligible Voters - either leave it open to all eligible voters OR select an ELO floor that voters must have to vote on the debate (all other prerequisites for being eligible to vote would still apply)

Judge Voting - select up to 10 hand-picked judges to vote on a debate, leaving voting closed to all other users

1) Instigator selects judges. The opponent when accepting the challenge, has to also accept the nominated judges.
2) Nominated judges have to accept in order to judge the debate
3) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both would still have RFDs)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With adding a new judge voting option, we created a "leaderboard" that would list out the members who have judged the most debates and the percentage of times they have selected the winner of the debate. This provides newer members an opportunity to figure out who experienced judges may be to nominate. There is a direct link to the leaderboard in the "Start a Debate" screen but it can also be accessed through the top navigation.

We also made a few other changes:

- Making sure that forfeited debates no longer show in any of the "Voting Period" debate filters
- Expanding the gender options for member profiles
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 7:44:55 PM
At 4/23/2014 7:42:30 PM, Debate.org_Official wrote:
Today we released an update to Debate.org that expanded the options for voting on debates.

EXISTING FEATURES

1.Voting Period Length

NEW FEATURES

Voting Style

1) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both still have RFDs)
2) Eligible Voters - either leave it open to all eligible voters OR select an ELO floor that voters must have to vote on the debate (all other prerequisites for being eligible to vote would still apply)

Judge Voting - select up to 10 hand-picked judges to vote on a debate, leaving voting closed to all other users

1) Instigator selects judges. The opponent when accepting the challenge, has to also accept the nominated judges.
3) Point System - either current 7 point system OR a simple "choose winner" option (both would still have RFDs)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With adding a new judge voting option, we created a "leaderboard" that would list out the members who have judged the most debates and the percentage of times they have selected the winner of the debate. This provides newer members an opportunity to figure out who experienced judges may be to nominate. There is a direct link to the leaderboard in the "Start a Debate" screen but it can also be accessed through the top navigation.

- Making sure that forfeited debates no longer show in any of the "Voting Period" debate filters

This is fantastic. Thanks!
Tsar of DDO
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 7:58:10 PM

EXISTING FEATURES

1.Voting Period Length

NEW FEATURES

Voting Style

http://i289.photobucket.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:01:11 PM
a simple "choose winner" option (...still have RFDs)

2) Eligible Voters . . . select an ELO floor that voters must have to vote on the debate (all other prerequisites for being eligible to vote would still apply)

Probably the singlest greatest innovation on the site since Juggle took over. Thanks for this.

Also, everyone please select these options. Where do you think people should set their ELO floor at?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:02:12 PM
At 4/23/2014 8:59:56 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 4/23/2014 8:57:57 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
http://global3.memecdn.com...

Sorry, wrong image. I think this is the one:

http://media.tumblr.com...

I was about to say...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:03:16 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:01:11 PM, bluesteel wrote:

2) Eligible Voters . . . select an ELO floor that voters must have to vote on the debate (all other prerequisites for being eligible to vote would still apply)

Probably the singlest greatest innovation on the site since Juggle took over. Thanks for this.

Also, everyone please select these options. Where do you think people should set their ELO floor at?

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:04:23 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:03:16 PM, thett3 wrote:

Hmm it seems there actually is a minimum you can set at 7500...that would allow only two people to vote. Roy and Mikal should have a debate and set it at that, lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:04:48 PM

I'd say 2,300. That is a minimum of 3 wins against newbs (though it could be less against experienced members). That shows that they likely know a bit about debating without limiting to voters too much.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:05:55 PM

After a careful statistical analysis, I have determined that the optimal level is 2,940 minimum ELO.

Also, block specific people from voting on your debates...... Cuz ELO ain't errything.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:10:01 PM
Do this.

Limit to only over 5,000 then only argue for libertarian left policies. We have 7 active members in that range and 5 fall to the libertarian left for most issues (and block Roy and me, then you only have 5).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:10:26 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:05:55 PM, bluesteel wrote:

After a careful statistical analysis, I have determined that the optimal level is 2,940 minimum ELO.

Also, block specific people from voting on your debates...... Cuz ELO ain't errything.

How was 2,940 determined?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:13:29 PM

2942, muthaf*cka.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:13:53 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:10:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

How was 2,940 determined?

Also, you have to go by 500 increments, so I'm presuming you'd support 3,000 rather than 2,500.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:15:07 PM
yay!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:21:11 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:13:29 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

2942, muthaf*cka.

lol, this was basically my methodology. Find a cutoff point that captures most of the good voters on the site.

But I didn't know it was increments of 500. You gotta get that over 3K....

@Ore_Ele

It would be nice if it allowed you to set the limit at any increment.... There's a huge difference between setting it at 2500 and 2000. Even your 2300 proposal isn't allowed, right?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:22:19 PM

After a careful statistical analysis, I have determined that the optimal level is 2,940 minimum ELO

How did you determine that? (I said 3k, but 2,940 is cool too.)

Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:24:27 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:21:11 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/23/2014 9:13:29 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

2942, muthaf*cka.

lol, this was basically my methodology. Find a cutoff point that captures most of the good voters on the site.

But I didn't know it was increments of 500. You gotta get that over 3K....

My school year is over on the 15th, so if the recent elo inflation is anything to go on, it shouldn't take me too long to get it up.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:25:53 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:22:19 PM, YYW wrote:

After a careful statistical analysis, I have determined that the optimal level is 2,940 minimum ELO

I liked 3K, but looking at the leadboards, dropping it 60 let 2 more good voters vote. But apparently it's in increments of 500, so you can't actually set it there.....
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:31:34 PM
At 4/23/2014 9:25:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/23/2014 9:22:19 PM, YYW wrote:

I liked 3K, but looking at the leadboards, dropping it 60 let 2 more good voters vote. But apparently it's in increments of 500, so you can't actually set it there.....

Fair enough. Who were the two voters?
Tsar of DDO
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:45:49 PM

0000 for troll/non-serious topics. 3500 for normal issues (military budget, economics) and 4000 for big issues (abortion, gay marriage)
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:09:35 PM

EXISTING FEATURES

1.Voting Period Length

NEW FEATURES

Voting Style

Awesome. :)
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:11:49 PM
I haven't tried it out yet but it looks good so far. Great update, thanks!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:42:30 PM
Now try and fix these.

1) Having to log in to report something... When you're already logged in. It's not for clarification, it's just an annoying glitch... One that happens almost half of the time I report something like a votebomb.

2) The damn opinion section not working. I'm tired of typing a 50+ word answers, only for it to load and load and load... And never finish. God only knows how often I've written a 200 word essay on them, only for it to load itself in oblivion, and never submit the damn thing, and then I have to redo the whole answer.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:50:11 PM
If I accept a nomination and don't vote, what happens? Anything? I assume if I'm the only nominated judge, that screws over the person who nominated me, but other than that, anything?